• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsguy

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to save them for the coming months because I did like McCarthy. Right now I'm starting

Todd_House_of_leaves.jpg

Because I've heard a lot of good things. Also, it looks like a total mindfuck for the reader.

afternoon delight said:
Fight Club is different from the movie, not really plot wise but structure and theme-wise. I'm in the minority opinion that the movie actually improved on his text.

Not if GAF is any indication. In the last 'movie better than the book' thread, Fight Club was a common entry. The movie was just a perfect storm; between screenplay, direction, and acting, it's pretty damn near, well, perfect. Chuck P didn't stand a chance. :D

Alucard said:
Next Up:
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl.

Have you read it? If not, DON'T. I remember loving it as a kid in gradeschool and a few years ago I read it to one of my kids. Put simply: it's an absolute piece of trash. It's as bad as Chocolate Factory is great, which is VERY.

Picked up

51z59U664L_AA240_.jpg

and

gils.jpg

Started reading Gil's, and just like Martinez' other book, it's really fun. The story is about Duke (werewolf) and Earl (vampire), who stop for a bite to eat at Gil's Diner one night, only to be attacked by the zombies that are drawn to it. Soon the pair is facing down Zombie Cows and trying to unravel the mystery of the newest cult to pop up in Rockwood. And the story just gets stranger from there.

I'm only about halfway through, but I'm really enjoying it. It's not as polished as Automatic Detective, and it's extremely southern. Thankfully, it doesn't take itself seriously at all and spends most of its time playing with the stereotypical idea Texans/Southerners and various horror movie tropes.

oracrest

Atrophis said:

wait, is that all Howard Conan stories compiled into a single volume?

I have been waiting for that for years!

I am about 2/3 of the way through, reading it for the first time.

dune-1980pb-cover.jpg

Alucard

Banned
sparky2112 said:
Have you read it? If not, DON'T. I remember loving it as a kid in gradeschool and a few years ago I read it to one of my kids. Put simply: it's an absolute piece of trash. It's as bad as Chocolate Factory is great, which is VERY.

I just started and have found it enjoyable so far. At the beginning where Wonka starts speaking in his own made-up language.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
crowphoenix said:
gils.jpg

Started reading Gil's, and just like Martinez' other book, it's really fun. The story is about Duke (werewolf) and Earl (vampire), who stop for a bite to eat at Gil's Diner one night, only to be attacked by the zombies that are drawn to it. Soon the pair is facing down Zombie Cows and trying to unravel the mystery of the newest cult to pop up in Rockwood. And the story just gets stranger from there.

I'm only about halfway through, but I'm really enjoying it. It's not as polished as Automatic Detective, and it's extremely southern. Thankfully, it doesn't take itself seriously at all and spends most of its time playing with the stereotypical idea Texans/Southerners and various horror movie tropes.

between your descriptions of this and the 'automatic detective', i've decided to add this guy to my 'to-read' list - thanks for putting them on my radar.

i'm back on my Americana kick... read some Kerouac, now on to Hemingway, then revisiting Fitzgerald and Steinbeck.

ITL384.jpg

alan moore, ever the genius:

swampthing-curse.jpg

Just finished House Corinno. Bit boring.

Now halfway through:

foreverwar01-758180.jpg

Liking it a lot. Finished the first part
done the training and they just conquered that first base. I guess the real war is starting now.

slider

Just finished Enemy Number One by Partick Veitch. Interesting stuff.

2zpmd8x.jpg

Just started The Invention Of The Jewish People. Only got it cos of the huge furore in Israel over it. Plus the author has a really cool name...

s5kdbo.jpg

Paging Fio.

Raydeen

Keen said:
n4uu52.jpg

About 2/3 thru it and I'm kinda surprised to say that I really really like it. I think Sanderson is doing a great job!

That looks like one of those dodgy NES cart covers from the early 80's.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
390 pages into the "The Idiot" by Dostoevsky - I'm liking it alot, been taking it slow though, just to make sure i get as much as can, from my first reading.
My only problem is i find it hard to follow what's going on with the none-myshkin / nastasya / rogozhin / epanchin characters (mostly because of the russian names).
And as a whole, the chapters that don't focus on myshkin / nastasya / rogozhin, just aren't as interesting, but still pretty good.

Karakand

Alucard said:
I am DETERMINED to finally put Neuromancer behind me either today or tomorrow. It has taken me close to TWO MONTHS to finish it. Ugh. 55 pages to go...I think I really do hate this book for its total lack of sense and introduction of far too many characters, concepts, elements, and names in general. I know a lot of people love this book, but I just find it to be a straight-up clusterfuck and a mess.
End of the book made me smile. Very few books accomplish that, especially science craption.

He spent the bulk of his Swiss account on a new pancreasand liver, the rest on a new Ono-Sendai and a ticket back to the Sprawl.

He found work.

He found a girl who called herself Michael.

And one October night, punching himself past the scarlet tiers of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority, he saw three figures, tiny, impossible, who stood at the very edge of one of the vast steps of data. Small as they were, he could make out the boy's grin, his pink gums, the glitter of the long gray eyes that had been Riviera's. Linda still wore his jacket; she waved, as he passed. But the third figure, close behind her, arm across her shoulders, was himself.

Somewhere, very close, the laugh that wasn't laughter.

He never saw Molly again.

TunaLover

Lafiel said:
390 pages into the "The Idiot" by Dostoevsky - I'm liking it alot, been taking it slow though, just to make sure i get as much as can, from my first reading.
My only problem is i find it hard to follow what's going on with the none-myshkin / nastasya / rogozhin / epanchin characters (mostly because of the russian names).
And as a whole, the chapters that don't focus on myshkin / nastasya / rogozhin, just aren't as interesting, but still pretty good.

Crime and Punishment is one of the best books ever created, I saw the Karamazov Brothers movie, I didn´t find it particularly interesting, maybe I should read the book. Dostoievski is like everything you could wish in an author. And yes, names can be confusing, they tend to give different variations to the same root.

thomaser

TunaLover said:
Sin & Punishment is one of the best books ever created

No, that's one of the best games ever created. Crime and Punishment, on the other hand, is an awesome book. Sorry ;-) I always wondered if the developers of the game chose the title because of ties to the book... can't think of any, so they probably just thought it sounded cool.

benita316

Banned
road_narrowweb__300x485,0.jpg

I've just reached the part where
they find the bunker full of food
and i've got to be honest, i'm finding this really difficult to read. It's affecting me in a way I haven't really experienced with a book before and i'm struggling to finish it.

If McCarthy's intent was for the above spoiler to have the same effect on the reader as it did the man
a glimmer of hope and encouragement
then he's a genius because I was dangerously close to moving on.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
thomaser said:
No, that's one of the best games ever created. Crime and Punishment, on the other hand, is an awesome book. Sorry ;-) I always wondered if the developers of the game chose the title because of ties to the book... can't think of any, so they probably just thought it sounded cool.
Started it before, but never finished. Interesting enough, but seemed like it dragged.

I want to go back to it at some point, but I had a hard enough time keeping all the russian names straight the first time around that I think I'll be totally lost while on the other hand I have NO interest whatsoever in restarting it.

newsguy

benita316 said:
If McCarthy's intent was for the above spoiler to have the same effect on the reader as it did the man
a glimmer of hope and encouragement
then he's a genius because I was dangerously close to moving on.

If you mean it was boring until here then it picks up some. If you're saying it's hard to read cause you're pulling for them and things seem bleak, well then you know why it's such a powerful book.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
After all the talk of Fight Club movie vs book, and my mention that I heard A Clockwork Orange was pretty faithful, I decided to finally read the copy I got a few months ago -

2qw1r82.jpg

Pretty good book overall, and hard to say whether it or the film was better imo. The movie was pretty faithful to the book, and with the exception of only a couple scene's difference that jumped out at me (particularly
the sex scene with the girls in the record store; in the film, he picks them up and all three just start going at it over and over again consensually. In the novel, he takes home the two 10 year old girls then drugs them before basically raping them and passing out for a few hours.
)

Thoroughly enjoy both versions, though of course I wouldn't recommend them to just anybody. Also, my acclimation to the slang in the novel from years and years of watching the film may have let me get into the book a bit quicker; didn't have to go to the glossary all that much.

TunaLover

thomaser said:
Spanish titles, I always screw things because that =/

Oh, Sin & Punishment (the game) name came from a RARE project, I think it eventually would be the name of Perferct Dark, not sure how the Nintendo-RARE-Treasure ties were at that time. I found it really weird.

deadbeef

Lafiel said:

I really love The Idiot. I read it twice, where I had trouble getting started with Crime and Punishment AND Brothers Karamazov. Dostoevsky made me go back and read up on my Russian history just so I could understand the social settings more and what was going on at the time.

I really need to go back to Dostoevsky. I also have the multi-volume biography that I need to finish too. Sigh.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
w9wjra.jpg

I've actually already read it, but I finally managed to get my own copy, so I'm re-reading.

It's mostly a ghost story, where a teenage girl moves into a 300 year old house in Dorset with some classic folklore creatures thrown in, such as the billy blind and the Wild Hunt.

You don't have to believe in Hell. All you need is to hear someone who really does, who believes in it this minute, today, the way people believed in 1685—all you have to do is see his face, hear his voice when he says the word… and then you know that anyone who can imagine Hell has the power to make it real for other people.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
TunaLover said:
Crime and Punishment is one of the best books ever created, I saw the Karamazov Brothers movie, I didn´t find it particularly interesting, maybe I should read the book. Dostoievski is like everything you could wish in an author. And yes, names can be confusing, they tend to give different variations to the same root.
Yep i've read and loved crime and punishment. I'm actually considering re-reading after i finish the idiot.
Karamazov brothers sounds incredible, but i'm holding off it, because of it's massive length.:lol same thing with a another Russian novel - war and peace.

Dkong

Just finished:
Tucker Max - I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell
H.G. Wells - The Time Machine

Now reading:
Ernest Hemingway - Green Hills Of Africa

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
055358202X.jpg

This book is pissing me off.

I LOVED the one before it but this one is a massive cock tease. Somethings that are massively spoilerific (I'm talking really really spoilers, don't read unless you read it already)

wtf at all the deaths in between books? That shit was half the cast. half the cast I was invested in. Also all the POVs are from people I barely care about now. Where the fuck is Jon snow damnit

one specific question I have that I would love answered in a non spoilery way if possible
I'm halfway through, will I find out what the 'red wedding' was? Please don't give it away, but is it covered? I generally get that it's probably where Robb died, but fucking hell. Need details book!

To be clear, I like this book, I love them all, but not as much as the first 3 for me so far (at half way)

Yasser

Salazar said:
'Fortress Besieged' by Qian Zhongshu. Immensely funny and apparently revered novel about a Chinese anti-hero, who returns from abroad with a fake degree and gets himself into cascading woman-trouble.

gonna check this out, sounds fun

Pikelet

To be clear, I like this book, I love them all, but not as much as the first 3 for me so far (at half way)

umm, please don't tell me you skipped storm of swords part 2, because i have no idea why you wouldn't know what the
Red Wedding
is. Its been a long time since i read the books but im pretty sure thats around about when that event occurs in the series

FnordChan

Pikelet said:
umm, please don't tell me you skipped storm of swords part 2

Edit: Whoops, I take it back; I thought he was reading the US editions based on the cover image and then saw the spoiler text. Yeah, catfish, hie thee to a bookstore posthaste and make sure you read all of A Storm of Swords.

FnordChan, about halfway through First Lord's Fury

Alucard

Banned
Better left forgotten...

6a00b8ea067508dece00d4144a9dd1685e-500pi

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl

The Review:
One of the things I enjoyed about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was its sense of pacing; it had a natural flow and order to it. Not only that, but the events were not entirely predictable and they were always entertaining. However, in this direct sequel to Dahl's much-loved story, I am sad to say that while Dahl tries really hard to maintain a sense of fun and fantasy, there is very little guiding this whole storyline, and it honestly feels like an afterthought. Reading this after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is like eating a really good meal, and then being offered seconds despite being completely full. All of the flavours from the start of the meal, while similar, just do not have the same impact on your taste buds and you feel like you are just stuffing yourself for the sake of it. You also end up regretting it afterwards.

So, what went wrong with this book? As mentioned, I think the biggest culprit of its mediocrity is its lack of focus. Allow me to explain. It literally picks up right where the first book left off, and has the entire Bucket family floating through space in Willy Wonka's Great Glass Elevator. They end up inside a space hotel, which is about to be docked by American astronauts. Inside the hotel they meet up with some unsavory alien characters, the Vermicious Knids, who proceed to scare them out. There is a chase scene in which the Knids are burned up in Earth's atmosphere. Back on Earth, and now in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, Mr. Wonka offers the elder Buckets a chance to be younger. There is a long, drawn out sequence of Charlie's grandparents taking too much of an anti-aging pill, and then having to find the pill that will bring them back up to their original ages. One of the grandparents ends up taking too much of that pill, and must take the original anti-aging pill again to end up back where she started. If this sounds needless and like a waste of space, that is because it is. It was predictable and did not serve much of a purpose.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had purpose; it had a reason for its events. This book has paperthin reasons for the actions of its characters, and it feels like a bunch of stuff happening for the sake of a bunch of stuff happening. Now, I am not displeased with the book because it is not like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. No. I am displeased with the book because even as a standalone adventure, it is weak and unfocused, and not very fun or entertaining. Sure, there are a couple of songs and rhymes, and the Oompa-Loompas even make a return appearance, but the end result is still one of needless excess.

In addition to its lack of focus, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator chooses to centre around the least interesting characters in this literary universe: the Bucket grandparents. None of them have any characteristics that truly distinguish them from one another, and the majority of the time they are nuisances and they act like bratty children. The final third of the book in particular is frustrating because of the back-and-forth quest aspect of the anti-aging and aging medications. Nevermind that this feels like two different stories mashed into one, and I am left with a feeling of "so what," which is never good for any book.

Finally, I did not come away with anything to really think about when I finished Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. Most children's books have some moral choices for the character's to make, or a greater lesson to be learned. This book has very little of either, and it feels futile as a consequence.

So, is there anything good at all about this story? Well, I suppose it is nice to see Charlie Bucket, Granpa Joe, and Willy Wonka back in action. Quentin Blake's art is also incredibly charming and whimsical. Aside from these two things, I found this book to be a major downgrade after such a memorable predecessor. Perhaps its greatest crime is that it takes such a perfect ending in the first book, and turns it into such an uncalculated mess.

The Verdict:
While it is nice to read about these characters again, and to admire Quentin Blake's artwork, the final product feels unpolished, unfocused, and completely forgettable. By choosing to focus on uninteresting characters and providing a plot that is a giant mish-mash of half ideas, Dahl sadly provides a tale that slightly tarnishes the preceding work, and one that would have been better left in a private notebook somewhere.

1.5/5

Next Up:
The Dreamfighter and Other Creation Tales by Ted Hughes.

Finished The Forever War. Bit of a letdown ending, still one of the best books I read: 4.5/5

Edit: Also, wtf, there is a movie being made of it. Can't wait to see that.

n132528.jpg

Started on Hunters of Dune. Been thinking about reading it or not for about a year. Tried the House Atreides, Harkonnen en Corrino books by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson. Where decent, hope they made this better.

Not sure if I should reread the whole saga again. Can't remember that much of the stuff after Children of Dune.

Also, for some reason came across this and opened it up:

16awlxw.jpg

Nothing really surprising. You'll get rich by working hard and loving what you do. Well, let's see how that works out for me the next few years I guess.

Goddammit, theres to many books for me to read right now and I can't decide where to start.

I want to read:

about 2-3 more Ender's Series books

World War Z

A Song Of Fire And Ice series

2 more of the Ambergris books

The original Dune books

and I think there were a few more.

FUCK.

Koshiba

StormyTheRabbit said:
Goddammit, theres to many books for me to read right now and I can't decide where to start.

I want to read:

about 2-3 more Ender's Series books

World War Z

A Song Of Fire And Ice series

2 more of the Ambergris books

The original Dune books

and I think there were a few more.

FUCK.

Yeah, that's about how I am right now myself. Ended up that right now I'm in the middle of several different series since I decided to try and start a few to see if I liked them enough to continue or not.

41CAtI8VI3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I'd heard of it in passing before, but it was recommended to me by someone on the gaming side so I decided to finally get around to checking it out. While I am a bit puzzled by the recommendation - it was made as part of an argument which the book, at least what I've read so far, refutes - the book itself is fascinating. It covers the concept of play as it pertains to human culture, looking at elements in language, religion, as well as a host of other areas.

c5920.jpg

Specifically Mountains of Madness, and not this version, which was the most specific cover I could find. It's my first dive into the world of Lovecraft, and I'm loving it, especially the writing style. His writing style is quite dense, and comes across like he really is the character he's portraying. The lengthy exposition was interesting in itself; I admit I don't make it a habit to read horror novels, but the ones I have read haven't ever had anything like the back story here.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Pikelet said:
umm, please don't tell me you skipped storm of swords part 2, because i have no idea why you wouldn't know what the
Red Wedding
is. Its been a long time since i read the books but im pretty sure thats around about when that event occurs in the series

Holy shit, I've never seen or heard about someone who did that :O That sucks sooo bad :lol

shuyin_

Banned
Salazar said:
If the louche, sardonic attitude is what attracts you, read Martin Amis' 'Money'.
If moral deterioration and bitter, comic misanthropy is the thing, read John Lanchester's 'The Debt to Pleasure'.
Satire on sexual mores: Luke Rhinehart's 'The Dice Man'.
Existential, slow-rumbling strangeness: Kobo Abe's 'Woman in the Dunes'.
A book related to all the above themes: Ryu Murakami's 'Coin Locker Babies'

Alucard

Banned
McBacon said:
Farneheit_451.jpg

I don't know what the fuck is going on in this book.

Really? I found it to be quite easy to follow, and it is one of my all-time favourite novels by a very intelligent and charming author. I simply loved the message about the need to preserve knowledge and to fight against our desire for the more mundane things in life.

FairyD

Children-of-god.jpg

Children of God. It's a sequel to another book called The Sparrow, I've been reading it on and off when I'm on the subway. Good book so far.

Alucard

Banned
FairyD said:
Children-of-god.jpg

Children of God. It's a sequel to another book called The Sparrow, I've been reading it on and off when I'm on the subway. Good book so far.

How was The Sparrow? I've heard really good things from sci-fi fans for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom