• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC performance thread

Captn

How can you know that the 4k textures & Cinematics are installed properly and working knowing that the visual difference is minimal and that even without them you can still choose Ultra settings ?

Mine says that they are installed in steam but how to make sure they actually activate ?

Is there a way or a file we can look at in the install folder to confirm that they are indeed correctly functioning ?

Thx

Tizoc

I think it's mesh quality, lightning and ambient occlusion.

Also, what's your rig?
My Specs-
16 GB RAM
IntelCore i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.6 GHz
NVidia GTX 970M
Windows 10
I am using the latest srivers too
Gonna meddle with those options when i get home thanks

Do the mouse controls feel really floaty to anyone? I don't know if its mouse acceleration or what but just moving around the camera with the mouse feels like there is this lag where the camera keeps moving after I've stopped moving the mouse and its super distracting.

Yeah, it's floaty as hell for me too. Vsync is off and everything.

robotrock

Banned
Do the mouse controls feel really floaty to anyone? I don't know if its mouse acceleration or what but just moving around the camera with the mouse feels like there is this lag where the camera keeps moving after I've stopped moving the mouse and its super distracting.

Not even playing with a mouse but it feels like there's some input latency with this game for sure.

My fellow 1080 Ti owners out there, have you been able to get it locked to 60 fps at 4k? Any settings you had to turn down??

No way to have 60FPS locked at 4K without dropping settings on 1080Ti. I would start maybe with dynamic resolution or just lower all settings from ultra to high. Alternatively you can just run at slightly lower resolution. I run at 3200x1800 which gives me a nice stable 60FPS.

I'm seeing some performance impact from the Ultra textures now, there was a couple spots where it was dropping into the 30's, turning them back down to High increased the frame rate back to 60+.

You are probably running out of VRAM. What's your GPU?

any way to skip intro splash screens?

You can rename the legal/middleware video files (in the game\interface\videos directory), but after doing that I was getting strange black screens where it wouldn't load the main menu (other times it would be fine).

We might need an "empty" video file to replace the splashes, rather than just renaming them. Might be some kind of issue with the game trying to load something that doesn't exist.

Also found out this game has a very annoying issue with the resolution: it assumes you want to play the game at the aspect ratio of your desktop. I've got a 16:10 monitor, so when I stream this to my Steam Link all I get are options for 16:10 resolutions (which obviously won't work well on a 16:9 TV). Force switching my desktop to 1920x1080 kind of works, but the game has an annoying tendency to switch the resolution back to native whenever it wants.

It also overwrites the render.cfg file whenever it wants, so I can't lock the resolution in that either. Super frustrating.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You can rename the legal/middleware video files (in the game\interface\videos directory), but after doing that I was getting strange black screens where it wouldn't load the main menu (other times it would be fine).

We might need an "empty" video file to replace the splashes, rather than just renaming them. Might be some kind of issue with the game trying to load something that doesn't exist.

Replacing the files with zero-byte versions seems to work just fine. I've uploaded them here.

Gave up on getting stable 60 fps on my 970. It drops to 40's far to frequently, even with high/medium settings. Settled for 30 fps and higher res.

Have you tried enabling dynamic resolution? It works wonders with performance! It dynamically lowers the res to maintain 60fps while in demanding situations. Give it a shot.

Shari

I have a friend with a i5 6300HQ and a 960m, how do you think the game will fare? Impossible to find benchs.

He's really not picky in terms of IQ or graphics, he's played some games this gen at 720p. But he'd like to make sure the game is at least playable before purchasing...

ramshot

Played a few hours last night, so FWIW, here's one more report:

6700k @ 4.5
16 gigs DDR4 @ 2600
GTX1080Ti STRIX +300 mem
1440p + gsync
Win10
edit: Game on SSD

For some bloody reason the game insisted on starting up on my secondary monitor. Made absolutely no sense, no other game has done this. Luckily alt-enter, moving the window to main screen and hitting alt-enter again did the trick.

Performance is rock solid outside of rare, seemingly random stutters that also cause the sounds to bug out a little. Would be annoying, but they are so rare that it's a non-issue. Other than that, I've seen anything from 70fps to 144fps on Ultra settings. GPU memory usage with Ultra textures goes as high at 9 gigs. Frametimes look pretty darn nice and steady outside of the said random hitching. edit: CPU usage hovers around and below 50%, so the GPU is the bottleneck at 1440p basically all the time.

Game isn't the prettiest of them all, but ehh... with the amount of orcs on screen at once, and near-perfect performance, I'm certainly not going to complain about it. You have to make it work, and when there are a hundred characters to render, something else needs to give.

All in all a nearly perfect PC version at least with a high end rig.

Zexen

Any words on SLI performances? Especially 980Ti's, the game seems fun but with my trash download speed, it would basically take me a week to download, so if SLI isn't on point, that would be a bummer.

shanafan

For some bloody reason the game insisted on starting up on my secondary monitor. Made absolutely no sense, no other game has done this. Luckily alt-enter, moving the window to main screen and hitting alt-enter again did the trick.

You can also press Shift + Windows key + left or right arrows to move screens among windows.

Zojirushi

Do Nvidia driver updates improve performance for older gpus like the 980Ti, or are these game specific driver updates good only for current 10 series gpus?

I've heard of people that never update drivers anymore after their GPU has reached a certain age because they think newer drivers actually harm older GPUs' performance.

So I dunno man...maybe just try the game and unless you're not satisfied with performance don't update?

dr_rus

Another benchmark: Mittelerde im Benchmark: Schatten des Krieges braucht bis zu 8 GB Grafik-Speicher

AMD drivers comparison:

wE6c.png

PCGH posted incorrect results for Vega on the new drivers yesterday, they've updated their benchmark now. Generally though, Vega is still a bit ahead of competition in this one when comparing reference cards.

I've heard of people that never update drivers anymore after their GPU has reached a certain age because they think newer drivers actually harm older GPUs' performance.

So I dunno man...maybe just try the game and unless you're not satisfied with performance don't update?

This wasn't true even back when this myth started propagating and it sure is not true for 980Ti now.

Nheco

My Specs-
16 GB RAM
IntelCore i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.6 GHz
NVidia GTX 970M
Windows 10
I am using the latest srivers too
Gonna meddle with those options when i get home thanks

Since the last AMD driver update, I'm getting almost 60 fps locked on my oc'd rx 480 (with small dips sometimes).

I'm using everything on ultra, except: shadows (high), illumination (high). You will need to dial down textures and maybe mesh.

jaybe00

Neo Member
I have a friend with a i5 6300HQ and a 960m, how do you think the game will fare? Impossible to find benchs.

He's really not picky in terms of IQ or graphics, he's played some games this gen at 720p. But he'd like to make sure the game is at least playable before purchasing...

He can purchase from steam and see how it works. If it's unacceptable to him, he can request a refund if play time is under 2 hrs I believe. I think he must also do it within 14 days of purchase. He should check out all the terms in Steam's refund policy.

Bubba77

Is there an sli profile for the game yet? And can the windows store version even use sli?

Nm nvidia says yes to SLI support at launch. Thanks monolith

Tizoc

Since the last AMD driver update, I'm getting almost 60 fps locked on my oc'd rx 480 (with small dips sometimes).

I'm using everything on ultra, except: shadows (high), illumination (high). You will need to dial down textures and maybe mesh.

Yeah i dialed those down and the fps smoothed to 50-60 thanks!

Sevenfold

Anyone know how to disable mouse smoothing?

I've made it tolerable by messing with sensitivity and have locked 60 (so far) at 1440p with 980ti 6700k 16 dynamic res off mostly max no ultra textures but 4k cutscenes for extra bitrate (assuming they're displaying and downsampled rather than locked out for no native 4k)
Tried 2160p with dynamic res on a 4k screen but opening vista was like 720p or some shit but it's happy locked at 60 without. Strange.
I'm keeping an eye out for a further mouse tweak to just take the edge off the smoothing that seems inherent. I haven't tried borderless so I don't know if it's exclusive to er, exclusive or by design. Controller feels better in that respect but as soon as it comes to the bow, it's Polygon Doom and the game is actually challenging so I just nope back to M & K. Speaking of which. FUCK REBINDING! What a world of pain that shit is. My G900s is now my fucking keyboard overflow. Oh and stop interrupting me. That shit is annoying. As someone who likes to strip the HUD this game is a nightmare. It doesn't tell me things I want to know but reiterates the same shit over and over, yes arrows, ok.

Replacing the files with zero-byte versions seems to work just fine. I've uploaded them here.

Thank you.

heringer

Anyone know if you can change bindings with DS4Windows? That might solve my issue with the dumb decision of mapping running to A/X.

Nheco

He can purchase from steam and see how it works. If it's unacceptable to him, he can request a refund if play time is under 2 hrs I believe. I think he must also do it within 14 days of purchase. He should check out all the terms in Steam's refund policy.

Well, the game appears to be very scalable (and has automatic resolution adjustment), and I think a 960m should perform like let's say... a 750ti? There are some benchs for 750ti on youtube.

Nheco

Another benchmark: Mittelerde im Benchmark: Schatten des Krieges braucht bis zu 8 GB Grafik-Speicher

AMD drivers comparison:

wE6c.png

PCGH posted incorrect results for Vega on the new drivers yesterday, they've updated their benchmark now. Generally though, Vega is still a bit ahead of competition in this one when comparing reference cards.

This wasn't true even back when this myth started propagating and it sure is not true for 980Ti now.

The gains for me on driver update was way better than this with an rx 480 (oc'd). I was on 50~60 average to an almost locked 60 (with illumination and shadows dialed down to high).

Tizoc

Thanks to jaseC for those files~
Now can we please get a mod that can un-animefy these Orcs by having them stfu when I start engaging them? I don't want to listen to your 30 second rant while our swords are clashed and non of your dumbass Orc homies even think of back stabbing me in the process.

Nheco

Thanks to jaseC for those files~
Now can we please get a mod that can un-animefy these Orcs by having them stfu when I start engaging them? I don't want to listen to your 30 second rant while our swords are clashed and non of your dumbass Orc homies even think of back stabbing me in the process.

Man, there are some orks who are bards! They sing and rhyme when they clash swords with you, don't ignore this greatness.

Honestly, the lines and facial animation on those moments are some of the very best parts of Mordor series to me.

Do Nvidia driver updates improve performance for older gpus like the 980Ti, or are these game specific driver updates good only for current 10 series gpus?
The 10 series is pretty much the 9 series on a smaller process so unless NVIDIA does something specifically to screw it up, it should.
This doesn't seem to be too cpu intensive.

I think my 2500k at 4.2 can still cut it.

Yeah, 60FPS probably shouldn't be a problem but I'm still only in the prologue so maybe performance gets worse when the world is more open but I'm currently at a locked 72FPS (1/2 refresh rate) on my 2500k at 4.5GHz.

Ravelle

The game has this weird hiccup that when you tab it messes your in-game resolution, interface stays fine but the textures get kicked down and i have to change the resolution back and forth for it to set it right again.

Other runs super silky on my end, everything up to ultra on a 1080, 1440p, 16 GB RAM and a i5 6600K.

nvidia drivers dont tend to improve performance as much as AMD unless theres an issue as seen with forza 7

Mookow

I was stuck at 43 FPS no matter the settings on my 1800x + 1080ti. Read a few reports on Reddit and Steam that a game reinstall didn't work but a Windows install did. After reinstalling Windows, my issues are fixed:

1440p/Ultra/High Res Textures

hSt39iG.png

Mookow

And to my post above, this rig was built this weekend, so the Windows install was only a few days old, why would a re-install 4 days later fix this issue, all other things equal?

Saiyan-Rox

Can't seem to get a locked 60 or 75FPS once again...seems to be every game I buy can't give me a solid FPS on PC :( im only playing in 1080p and have an i7 Skylake and a 1070 I thought i'd be okay.

Can't remember the last game that worked without hiccup on my PC. (No high texture dlc and playing with the game presets which seem to be mostly ultra)

Rizific

Can't seem to get a locked 60 or 75FPS once again...seems to be every game I buy can't give me a solid FPS on PC :( im only playing in 1080p and have an i7 Skylake and a 1070 I thought i'd be okay.

Can't remember the last game that worked without hiccup on my PC. (No high texture dlc and playing with the game presets which seem to be mostly ultra)
What settings? My game benchmarked at 79fps at 1440p with settings turned down to high on my i5 and 1070.

I should add with AA set to fxaa and tessellation off.

Lower shadows to high

Top Bottom