• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your geeky pop culture blindspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I'm well-rounded enough to hold my own in pretty much any geeky conversation except certain Manga.

My major blindspot outside of geeky stuff is music. I went to school with a lot of hipsters so I always felt like it was a hopeless battle.

Like, most of it I suppose. Anime, most sci-fi stuff, fantasy/LOTR/DnD stuff, comics books and superheroes. Don't care about any of it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Dragon ball z and lots of other anime, though I'm a big Studio Ghibli fan (got married to a Howls Castle themed wedding!)

I had a blind spot to Dr Who until a friend talked me in to give it a chance. Now I adore the series. Huge 10th doctor fan.

It saddens me to see how many skipped Harry Potter, I have a feeling most that skipped it think it's just silly magic stuff when really that's just a skin deep setting for the books, the actual full story is rather nice.

I honestly wish I could make LOTR into a blind spot. I just don't enjoy anything about it anymore. I can't watch any of the films without hating the setting.

dr who and harry potter seem like the biggest for me. y are all girls on okcupid hufflepuffs. is it like myers briggs: harry potter edition?

Warhammer 40k is the one I'm starting to dip my toes in to be unblinded of currently.

I'll never get into Star Trek or Marvel. I just can't do it. I've tired, I really have.

I'm partially blind on Harry Potter, I read and watched parts 1-4 and then stopped, but my fiancée is a big fan so I need to get back to that at some point. Also partially blind to anime, but having loved some of the greats like Bebop, Trigun, Ghibli, GitS, etc, and as a kid super addicted to DBZ and toonami in general, I think I've delved into that enough to call myself familiar with that nerd sector.

Was blind to Doctor Who untill just a couple years ago, but I'm all good now. I was also largely blind to DC outside their animated stuff, but I've corrected that in the last few years as well.

Servbot24

Banned
I've never read a comic book (I have read graphic novels but not the superhero variety, Watchmen excluded)

Never seen any Star Trek media

I've seen one Harry Potter movie, don't know anything else about it

Any gaming stuff related to multiplayer or streaming, I am out

No card games, board games, etc

No fantasy / nerdy books aside from Lord of the Rings. Started Ready Player One but it was terrible so I quit

Plenty of random anime and TV shows

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Harry Potter and LotR.

I wanted to watch the LotR films only after reading the books, but never got a chance to, so I didn't bother with the films.

For years it was Doctor Who. It was a show that everyone I knew talked about it, but I didn't bother watching it. Although I've recently got into the show, and have been enjoying it immensely.

Most Western/Anglophile stuff but comics are the "blind spot" I'm most happy to have. I like to hope its just childhood nostalgia for adolescents and beyond.

Most major comic books from the 80's and beyond have actually been written for teens to adults in mind actually. It's been that way for a while anyway.

Pokemon. I was in high school when it came out in the US and I just never had any interest in it.

Power Rangers. Was in junior high, didn't care. Never have.

Disxo

Game of Thrones
Naughty dog,all of it
Dungeons and Dragons
MMO'S
Harry potter
Lord of the rings
Battlestar galactica
Alien
Anime
Japanese manga
American comics
Warhammer
Metal gear
Zelda
Halo
Oh, and Dr.Who,Magic and star trek

Sorry this is a list but I cant add anything apart from not having interest in these geeky things.

matt360

The biggest two are Star Trek and Dr. Who. Nothing against them and I'm sure I'd like them if I gave them a shot, but I'm too busy with other stuff at the moment. I also stopped reading Marvel comics after Quesada took a shit on Spider-Man, so I have no idea what's going on in Marvel comics.

With D&D, there are no words to adequately express how glad I am that I got into it. I had played a couple times in the past with a group that didn't mesh well, so it kind of soured me on the whole game. But about 3 years ago I found a group that was playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire and it was just amazing. We've since moved into D&D, and we only play once a month, but goddamn if D&D day isn't the day I look forward to most each month. We get tons of beer, 3 Costco pizzas, tons of snacks, and just go to town.

Numb

Comics
Can't and never will be able to handle the history,different artists,story writers,crossovers and runs etc

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I tend to avoid game of thrones, after the 3rd season I was kinda mentally checked out of it and I ended up dropping it midway through season 4, it felt like a fad that lasted way too long.

The Walking dead as well, season 2 was just so fucking insulting to me as a viewer that I decided I would never give that show a second of my time again.

Mainline comics as well, there are few story lines in them I've cared about, the death of spider-man was an AMAZING arc though, but after certain things and the absolute bullshit that was the ending to Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates run back in like 2012 I decided they're actually just a shit show and not worth investing my time into. If I read a comic book now it'll be some one off or stand alone thing.

Star Wars
Star Trek
Transformers
Anime
Comics/Comic based TV shows/movies
Dungeons and Dragons

Wow, after listing some stuff out I feel like a fraud...

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
The Warhammer 40k universe is so hard for me to get into because I hate the idea of "perpetual war". Like if it's basically never going to end and just carries on, what's the point in getting invested?

Star Wars
Star Trek
Transformers
Anime
Comics/Comic based TV shows/movies
Dungeons and Dragons

Wow, after listing some stuff out I feel like a fraud...

You like C & H, you're good in my book.

Transformers. I just don't get it at all and that is strange because I absolutely love giant robots and mechs such as Gundam and Battletech.

Laieon

Pokemon. I was in high school when it came out in the US and I just never had any interest in it.

Power Rangers. Was in junior high, didn't care. Never have.

Wait, is Power Rangers considered geeky? I was never really into it even though I was the prime age for Mighty Morphin. Seems more childish then geeky to me.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Naruto
Superhero comics (+ movies / shows)
Lord of the Rings
Warhammer
Dr. Who
Magic the Gathering

Wulfric

Not really into Game of Thrones or Walking Dead. Also I'm only vaguely interested in anime. I really like fantasy settings, but the Lord of the Rings books are too long winded for me.

Plus the entirety of the scifi genre except for Stargate SG-1. Fuckin loved that show

I'm a bad nerd. :(

Xe4

Banned
There's a bunch of nerdy stuff I haven't seen or read or tried or whatever, mostly because of time constraints. So I'm going to list what I have no interest in outside of time constraint issues.

Long running superhero comics. I love independent comics, but couldn't give less of a fuck about mainline DC or Marvel. All that I know about them comes from animated superhero shows, lol.

Also, long running Shonen, ala Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Dragon Ball, etc.

I guess I like my stories to have some sort of beginning, middle, and end (in a timely manner) which I don't get from those two things.

Brinbe

Same with you OP. Along with anime, MOBAs, MMORPGs, TCGs like Magic, pretty much every big TV show out there right now and fantasy/sci-fi literature in general.

RetroMG

I generally know enough about my blind spots to fake my way through a conversation, but I'm really weak on:

Game of Thrones (I watched a couple of seasons of the show, but I don't remember much.)
Walking Dead (I read a few of the comics?)
Breaking Bad (I watched the first season)
Anime past the year 2000 (I know virtually nothing about Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach.)

I haven't read Discworld
I haven't read The Dark Tower
I have't read the Earthsea fantasy series

to add to that, I haven't read most of Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, and Ursula K. Le Guin.

I plan to.

Blizzard

Banned
Anime and Dr. Who are the big ones for me. I'm aware of both, and I've heard of various animes, but I've probably only watched 2-3 if the Avatar series count.

I also watched maybe 2-3 Dr. Who episodes with friends, but I didn't like how everyone seemed to die in horrible fashion each episode, like some sort of Game of Thrones lite, in order to reuse the actors as different characters.

Triteon

Ive never read or watched any harry potter either, actually that goes for most recent YA movies and books.

The any Dr who released after the 80s.

Comics after the early 2000s. Even then anything not marvel, vertigo or my personal indie wheelhouse.

Those are the geeky ones.

A bigger issue is my total ignorance about sports. Sometimes i feel like i cant relate to my older family members because of not following sports. We will be at a BBQ and they will all be talking about who the opening line up was or someones injury or whatever and im just sitting there bored out of my brain.

Ive tried to care sports coverage is the easist shit to follow, its the back page of newspapers but i just have no retention ability for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom