• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Disney XD's Spider-Man Animated Series

Dislike the visual style, worst part being the backgrounds. Animations look really rough but not quite as bad as those from the Berserk anime.

Seesaw15

Peter Parker looks like Pidge from Voltron.
latest

SpaceWolf

Banned
Oh... Oh yeah. I dunno how I didn't realise, especially with all the Cowboy Bebop I've watched.

They do sound kiiinda similar, though.

Haha, I used to be a bit of a Cowboy Bebop obsessive, so I sort of have an ingrained ability to detect Steve Blum's voice wherever it can usally be found. It's quite distinctive as voice actors go.

I wish they would make their cartoons separate instead of trying to pander to the MCU. Avengers: EMH was probably the closest thing we ever got to the greatness that was Justice League.

Well it definitely looks better than Ultimate Spiderman. I like the art style and the voice acting sounds good. I'm gonna give this show a shot.

abundant

I wish they would make their cartoons separate instead of trying to pander to the MCU. Avengers: EMH was probably the closest thing we ever got to the greatness that was Justice League.

They've gotten better at that lately. It's still there, but they try to do stuff outside the MCU. For instance,
Kamala Khan
is part of the main story arc on Avengers Assemble and Guardians of the Galaxy had a story arc surrounding
the birth of Adam Warlock
. It's not as good as EMH or Spectacular, but it's a huge improvement over what they were doing a several years ago.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm not sure how I feel about this just yet. There's something about the animation and voice acting that comes off as a bit generic.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Not gonna lie I kinda like the look of this, also Peter's a giant dork in this like way more than usual.

Yeah, I think it's an interesting idea to present Peter as something of a nervous motor mouth who can't get himself to shut up before he was even bitten by the spider, given that his fast-talking has always been one of his most identifiable personal qualities as Spider-Man. It puts a different spin on Parker's prior characterization as an awkward science geek, who inadvertently keeps finding new ways to get himself labelled as an outcast.

Haha, I used to be a bit of a Cowboy Bebop obsessive, so I sort of have an ingrained ability to detect Steve Blum's voice wherever it can usally be found. It's quite distinctive as voice actors go.
I just watched Mushroom Samba a few days ago and still couldn't place his voice.

I have failed as a fan of Spike Spiegel.
Not gonna lie I kinda like the look of this, also Peter's a giant dork in this like way more than usual.
Almost annoyingly so, in my opinion.

Dynomutt

Am I biased for discounting show's based on their animation? I don't think I can watch this.

I feel like this animation works well maybe for slapstick comedy. Why do so many Cartoon Network and XD show's look like Dexter's Lab/Johnny Bravo or that goofy animation. I have not watched Titan's Go of that new JLA because of this. Which normally I don't mind but it's too much. He has the same hairstyle as Steven's Universe. Matter of fact he looks like a skinner adult longer Steven!

Sou Da

Also doesn't this straight up retcon Ultimate Spidey out of existence?

It either does that or it's going to be separate from the other shows which is good.

Sou Da

It's a seperate show. They're not related continuities.
Good. This segways into my other point which is to say that

1. This doesn't seem to be trying be a piece of merchandise for the MCU at all.

2. The art having an actual style alone means I'll watch it.

It looks good but I'm not really digging the dialogue. It feels a little childish compared to Spectacular Spider-Man. It might just be Peter's voice actor.

JayCB

Their character designs really do look like they are pursuing Voltrons but at a lower budget..

I'll watch this but I'm still a little on the fence here.

Xe4

Banned
It doesn't.... look bad? We'll see, and I won't get my hopes up but this may be the first Marvel cartoon since EMH I don't hate.

Maybe they spent all their money on scripts instead of VA or animation studios. Just close your eyes and don't listen, enjoy the story.

It looks good but I'm not really digging the dialogue. It feels a little childish compared to Spectacular Spider-Man. It might just be Peter's voice actor.
It definitely doesn't help that they start almost the exact same way, with him slinging through the city and taking about how crazy his summer was. Here's a flashback for origin.

Top Bottom