• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

hypotc

Maligna

Banned
Ugh, monsters.

I'm going to Europe/Mediterranean for my first ever overseas vacation in December. Do I have to be worried about this shit? Geeeez.

Volimar

Ugh, monsters.

I'm going to Europe/Mediterranean for my first ever overseas vacation in December. Do I have to be worried about this shit? Geeeez.

This is a silly thing to be afraid of. You're far more likely to get hit by a car on accident than you are to get hit by someone deliberately.

Hycran

Banned
I was recently in Barcelona, particularly on the Ramblas and the entire time I was on edge as it is patently unprotected with a lot of vehicle and pedestrian traffic. If you are travelling nowadays you need to be on high alert in tourist/high pedestrian areas as these aren't just soft targets, they are basically scrambled eggs, just waiting for some lunatic to do something.

Fuck this happened like across the fucking park from me.

Then there were screams, and then possible gunshots (another English speaker I ran into said he heard them) and everyone bolted the fuck out.

barber

It still not confirmed to be a terrorist attack and how it is described by elpais (major spanish newspaper) , one of the witnesses says "ha arrollado a la gente nientras cruzaba el semáforo" (as of 17:36). That is that it just ran over people while they were crossign the traffic lights and then entered into the pedestrian road. It could simply be an accident by the part of the driver (still something really wrong with that), but nothing to be too worried about.
Also hope no major injuries have happened.

JWiLL

Banned
Hope it's not another case of terrorism...especially one where the police were "aware" of the individual before it happened.

If it is I expect many Spanish flags on Facebook & Twitter for a few days and posts about fighting them with "love", then slowly fading away until the next one happens again in a few months.

Cartho

Fucking hell.

Let's see if Trump "waits for all the facts" before commenting on this one.

Indeed. I suspect not. We'll get the same volley of tweets inciting more hatred and trying to justify his own ridiculous stance on Muslims.

Really hope this isn't as bad as it looks :(

llehuty

It's probably related with the anti tourism massification movement that has been hitting the city for the last month.

I'm never going to to Europe again at this rate.

It's safer then the US, assuming you are there.
Don't be scared off by stuff like that.

It's terrible stuff like this happens, but limiting yourself will not make you safer. All it does is help the people trying to make you afraid.

Hope there are no deaths. Scary stuff.

I'm never going to to Europe again at this rate.
Europe is one of the safest regions in the world though. I can't really think of many other areas that are safer then your average EU country. We should do more to prevent things like this, but not going to Europe out of fear is a bit strange.

Top Bottom