• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: shit just got hardcore

Dennis

Banned
Minecraft eh? Heard a lot about this game.

Does it have good graphics?

*Google Image search*

Abort! Abort!

Nice with the Hardcore option for the so inclined though

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, I'm so not using that option. I just don't want to lose everything, I can't. Call me whatever you want, but I like the stuff that takes me so long to build.

Piggus

Firebrand said:
e36NF.gif
Oh man I'm dying here. :lol

Damn creepers

@Dennis: I really hope you're joking. :p I'm the "omg I need amazing gwafix" type as well and Minecraft is awesome. You might even appreciate the way the lighting engine works.

Drazgul

Juan29.zapata said:
Holy shit, I'm so not using that option. I just don't want to lose everything, I can't. Call me whatever you want, but I like the stuff that takes me so long to build.

I'm not much of a builder, but I'll keep a 'main world' with all good stuff and then do new worlds for the hardcore, which would be more about survival and exploration. The initial struggle was always my favorite part in Minecraft anyway, and HC should make it all the more exciting.

Kuran

Banned
DennisK4 said:

*Google Image search*

Abort! Abort!

Dumbest post of the year so far.

Kraut

It sounds like a cool game mode. Usually, I hate playing games where a death means repeating considerable amounts of time, but I'll probably dick around with this from time to time.

Blizzard

Banned
DennisK4 said:

*Google Image search*

Abort! Abort!

Yup, of course.

minecraft1.jpg

OK, so it doesn't have those graphics. It still looks OK though:
2011-09-14_19.08.41r4md.png

Looks kind of neat with mods too:
gvbWd.jpg

YaBKU.png

Seriously though, of course the main draw is the gameplay, sandbox world with crazy terrain and environment generation, etc.

Sblargh

Banned
People worried about losing buildings: purpose of hardcore mode, imo, is not to build, but to dig and explore.
Of course, it's Minecraft, you do whatever you want, but seems insane to work on a tower that can be destroyed by falling off it.

Red

Blizzard... what the hell is that first mod? I've seen other "photorealistic" texture packs, but nothing like that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Blizzard said:
Yup, of course.

minecraft1.jpg

OK, so it doesn't have those graphics. It still looks OK though:
2011-09-14_19.08.41r4md.png

The thing is, a Minecraft with voxels or some such would be cool. It would be easy on the art side to make the high-resolution assets if you keep it as blocky. Only the shaders would be really realistic. That would be fun I think. Imagine cubic blocks of leaves, but realistically rendered. It would still be just a cube, but a cube made of a bunch of realistic leaves packed together:p

Red

Kalnos said:
Once you get iron armor you're pretty much invincible. The only two real threats at that point are dying to a careless fall and lava.
Creepers are always a threat, and sometimes dungeons can be frustrating.

"Always a threat" mostly meaning when they sneak up on you.

Kalnos

Banned
Crunched said:
Creepers are always a threat, and sometimes dungeons can be frustrating.

"Always a threat" mostly meaning when they sneak up on you.

Well... they're scary when they sneak up on you, but they're mostly harmless with armor in my experience. If you run into a charged one it may give you a scare.

Grinchy

Banned
Kalnos said:
Once you get iron armor you're pretty much invincible. The only two real threats at that point are dying to a careless fall and lava.
Or, you do what I do, and you craft iron armor with the intention of exploring but end up building more and ruining your armor with fall damage lol

My set of diamond armor on Neocraft didn't last very long for this reason

Atomski

Kalnos said:
Ravines and running have become the new threat.

Ive fell into a few just running around..

Max

I am not Max
Really excited for this for some reason, hxc! :>

DennisK4 said:

*Google Image search*

Abort! Abort!

Dennis...

Blizzard

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
What texture pack is that?
I'm not sure. I think it might have been a bundle...there's some nice bundle with water shaders if I recall correctly but I actually haven't tried it myself yet. Anyone know?

That entirely misses the point of permadeath in roguelikes. If anything, Minecraft already had an option such as this, as there was no real respawn system.

It's kinda dumb, but there's not reason NOT to have it, I guess

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dennis4K said:
>>Graphix whores<<

No, it's more like:

"Minecraft? Is there fun to be had here and a demo to show the survival mode off?"

*Googles*

Nope.avi and the "demo" there is nothing more than a sandbox build mode that gets old fast even in multiplayer. I really don't see the appeal. Maybe if it had a functionality similar to LittleBigPlanet where physics were involved, but it's just multiplayer Legos with a game-y "levitation" ability of removing blocks below one and having that block above it stay in the air.

Blizzard

Banned
TheSeks said:
No, it's more like:

"Minecraft? Is there fun to be had here and a demo to show the survival mode off?"

*Googles*

Nope.avi and the "demo" there is nothing more than a sandbox build mode that gets old fast even in multiplayer. I really don't see the appeal. Maybe if it had a functionality similar to LittleBigPlanet where physics were involved, but it's just multiplayer Legos with a game-y "levitation" ability of removing blocks below one and having that block above it stay in the air.
Are you referring to the full game or the old classic creative mode? Yes, the old multiplayer creative mode is like multiplayer legos, but it's one of the nicest ones around. :D

There might be a demo eventually. There was a free weekend a while back, I believe. And there should be tons and tons of youtube videos so you can get an idea if you'd hate the game or not.

Jintor

TheSeks said:
No, it's more like:

*Googles*

You've clearly never been deep within the bowels of a cave system, low on torches and wood and high on diamonds, attempting to find your way back to the surface to construct your epic equipment, only to hear that goddamn hissing somewhere in the unfamiliar darkness...

Grinchy

Banned
Jintor said:
You've clearly never been deep within the bowels of a cave system, low on torches and wood and high on diamonds, attempting to find your way back to the surface to construct your epic equipment, only to hear that goddamn hissing somewhere in the unfamiliar darkness...
IMO this is the problem with trying to explain Minecraft to people. There are so many nuances that make the game what it is that the only way to truly understand it is to play it yourself. Anyone who tries the old shitty creative mode (or even the new awesome creative mode) without ever trying survival is cheating themselves of one of the best games ever made.

bengraven

If you can't find fun in Minecraft, then that's fair enough.

That said, for me it's the most fun GAME game I've played since the 8/16 bit eras.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
World deletion is too much for me. You don't get attached to or invest much time in the worlds of old school roguelikes vs actually spending a lot of time shaping Minecraft's, remembering landmarks etc. World of difference. Still, I suppose it's a good option for the masochists. Have fun!

Ranger X

Not hardcore enough. We should have to bet on our windows system's files or boot records of our hard drives.

EDIT: oh well, Xelios got my reference! :p

Salsa

xelios said:

Why do we assume that because we are given a weapon an awarded for using it, that doing so is right?

By way of exploring what it means to kill in a video-game, Lose/Lose broaches bigger questions. As technology grows, our understanding of it diminishes, yet, at the same time, it becomes increasingly important in our lives. At what point does our virtual data become as important to us as physical possessions? If we have reached that point already, what real objects do we value less than our data? What implications does trusting something so important to something we understand so poorly have?

because your game looks like shmup 101 you stupid IM SO DEEP dev

Ranger X

SalsaShark said:
because your game looks like shmup 101 you stupid IM SO DEEP dev

You needed better graphics or different gameplay to understand the message??
This game was an experimental game, totally artistic stuff. I don't think they claim they are deep or anything. There often is contests or themed game making the indy and amateur industry and I think this is great. That's how great ideas are discovered and mentalities can evolve / change to the contrary of "fast food gaming" Activision, EA and such publishers are pushing. (not that it's not possible there's a great new idea in a AAA game but you know what I mean)

Piggus

xelios said:
World deletion is too much for me. You don't get attached to or invest much time in the worlds of old school roguelikes vs actually spending a lot of time shaping Minecraft's, remembering landmarks etc. World of difference. Still, I suppose it's a good option for the masochists. Have fun!
Pretty much this. I held off on buying it because I didn't think it would be very fun. But after playing on my friend's MP survival server and building an epic mansion/inn with a lava moat to keep the creepers out, I'm totally hooked.

Grinchy

Banned
RomanticHeroX said:
Final Hardcore: You die in Minecraft, you die in real life
Or when you die, your family is murdered in front of you and you are left to live out the rest of your life knowing that it's your fault for not scaffolding your tower properly.

Salsa

Ranger X said:
You needed better graphics or different gameplay to understand the message??
This game was an experimental game, totally artistic stuff. I don't think they claim they are deep or anything. There often is contests or themed game making the indy and amateur industry and I think this is great. That's how great ideas are discovered and mentalities can evolve / change to the contrary of "fast food gaming" Activision, EA and such publishers are pushing. (not that it's not possible there's a great new idea in a AAA game but you know what I mean)

Im all about indie games and new ideas, you can check by post/threads i made, but the way he tries to explain what's he trying to do goes way beyond what the game actually does. Let it speak for itself.

What im saying by "because your game looks like.." is cause he asked why we shoot stuff as soon as we begin the game, and its because of tradition, it has no deeper meaning than that. Game looks like Galaga so you start shooting stuff like Galaga.

Orayn

SalsaShark said:
Im all about indie games and new ideas, you can check by post/threads i made, but the way he tries to explain what's he trying to do goes way beyond what the game actually does. Let it speak for itself.

What im saying by "because your game looks like.." is cause he asked why we shoot stuff as soon as we begin the game, and its because of tradition, it has no deeper meaning than that. Game looks like Galaga so you start shooting stuff like Galaga.
But if he doesn't explain the game's philosophical implications himself it isn't artsy or DEEEEEEPPPPP!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
TheSeks said:
No, it's more like:

*Googles*

There is a survival mode Minecraft demo now.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/19/download-the-minecraft-demo/

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yep, this is my new preferred way of playing Minecraft in single player. I'll save the huge castles and forts and towers and super projects for Neocraft, the online GAF Minecraft server (and creative mode). But single player, I'm going hardcore all the way. In the 1.9 patch there will be a scoring system even added alongside with hardcore mode. With Minecraft, starting new worlds and exploring them was always the most fun for me. Now, I'll have a regular reason to start new worlds. Because I'll have to!!!

Kalnos said:

That's changing fast. The poisonous spiders down in abandoned mineshafts are deadly. When they come after you alongside creepers with skeleton archers plinking away at you, yeah, the dangers have been ramped up. And the void fog down at the deepest depths makes mining down there extremely deadly. I expect to die often. Can't freakin wait!!!

Top Bottom