• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends coming to Xbox 360/PS3, all versions releasing in September

Portugeezer

For those of you threatening to not support Rayman Legends on Wii-U for this decision are going to cause future problems.

By doing so you:
1.) Give support to the Decisions
2.) Other developers see the lack of Wii-U sales
3.) Developer "A" uses this information and decides to follow suit
4.) You boycott that title, Wii-U no longer looks profitable
5.) You helped seal Wii-U's fate.

Show them they are wrong by supporting the title. Show other developers that the Wii-U sales are solid enough for exclusives. Prevent the ripple effect!

This is going to be a great game! It'd be a shame if you missed out.

I don't support bullshit, sorry.

If a developer wants to release a good game and set a good example I will support them, no problem.

oh boy, this is final fantasy 13 all over again

No one cares that it's multiplatform. People care than it has been delayed 7 months.

Pikma

Banned
WTF they delayed it for 6 months? I... I don't even... know what to say, I've had a very shitty day, this is just cherry on top, thanks Ubisoft. Also... what was the reason for this? Wii U bad sales? Something went wrong with Nintendo? I just don't get it.

Hiltz

Did anyone ever doubt that a Rayman game gets ported to every platform imaginable?
The delay for yet another half a year just before release is pretty crass though. Fuck em, now I'll wait for bomba prices anyway, fall will certainly have enough other games, including 1st party Nintendo which will have a steady price.
This generally killed lots of sales potential for them, bad decision. Could have been a showcase WiiU title when nothing else is out, now it's just another multiplatform release like Origins that also did like 50k combined when it was released in Fall, lol.

Yeah, the game was ripe to show off some of Wii U's two-screen capabilities, especially when there was positive feedback of it regarding the game's demo on the eShop. Nintendo's own titles as well as the others it is publishing, will probably outshine Rayman by the time it comes out now. Well, it's a missed opportunity for both early adopters and Ubisoft.

I wonder if the reaction to this announcement is any indication for how this game will perform sales-wise. I'd have expected to see a lot more non-Wii U owners happy that they can play this game now, but there are only a handful of posts like this. The vast majority is people being pissed off because of the delay or others saying 'nintendoomed', 'so much for third party support etc.' with seemingly no interest in the game, and everyone on Miiverse is saying they're boycotting the game now.

Smells like bomba to me.

G.O.O.

I really don't care about it being multi.

But delaying a finished game for seven fucking months and pretend it's for the fans ? Fuck you so hard Ubi. I can understand anything related to how nintendo treats 3rd parties but that's just a huge middle finger for anyone who was expecting to buy your game this month.

Really glad that I'll be able to buy it used. I don't feel like giving money to Ubi right now.

I wonder if the reaction to this announcement is any indication for how this game will perform sales-wise. I'd have expected to see a lot more non-Wii U owners happy that they can play this game now, but there are only a handful of posts like this. The vast majority is people being pissed off because of the delay or others saying 'nintendoomed', 'so much for third party support etc.' with seemingly no interest in the game, and everyone on Miiverse is saying they're boycotting the game now.

Smells like bomba to me.

Nah...It'll bomb on the Wii-U. The sales on the other systems will support their decision. If sales for the other systems are better, this will be a huge negative to future Wii-U third party support. If the game fails, they can blame it on the decision.

This is a gamble, one that could have huge potential for the future of Wii-U third party support. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo rubbed Ubisoft the wrong way, and that is what really lead to this decision.

They are promises us to release it exlusive then they changed their mind!!

What about delayed more than 9 month .......

Third party developers are motivated by the $$$. That is the bottom line. If the sales figures support the decision, no amount of complaining our boycotting will stop the future trend in dropped exclusives or lesser expectations in future Wii-U third party support. Developers know that a lot of the complainers had no interest in buying the system. The actual numbers are what matter.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with Ubisofts actions. Though from a financial "marketing" standpoint, this is the right decision. It's much easier to get hype a game once, it's much easier to sell the game on all systems when released simultaneously, and it's much easier to compare the sales on each system as a result. Wii-U version still has exclusive content, Wii-U version still had the most marketing, if it bombs...

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
The Wii U has a pretty "Traditional" control setup, this isn't the Wii Remote..
There are touchscreen elements, and I remember seeing levels where you rotate the GamePad to rotate platforms.

Before somebody accuses me of being anti-Nintendo—I don't even see that as a problem! If the game had stayed exclusive, I would have happily picked it up when I bought a Wii U.

I am serious. Those people are part of the problem of 3rd party support on Nintendo systems, whether they like it or not (Nintendo is also a part, I'm not denying that). Especially if anyone who owns this game for PS360 starts complaining about lack of 3rd party games to play on Wii U, or Nintendo systems in general. It has nothing to do with being 'owed' a sale.
The bolded I totally agree with you on. It's hypocrisy. Fuck that.

I take issue with how your post implies that getting 3rd parties on Nintendo consoles is somehow everyone's problem and that we just gotta support poor little Nintendo whenever we can. I'm a fan of games, not a fan of specific consoles or manufacturers.

Vidiot

Did anyone ever doubt that a Rayman game gets ported to every platform imaginable?
The delay for yet another half a year just before release is pretty crass though. Fuck em, now I'll wait for bomba prices anyway, fall will certainly have enough other games, including 1st party Nintendo which will have a steady price.
This generally killed lots of sales potential for them, bad decision. Could have been a showcase WiiU title when nothing else is out, now it's just another multiplatform release like Origins that also did like 50k combined when it was released in Fall, lol.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't care that it's getting ported, I care that they're making us wait another 7 months for a game that was originally going to be for launch so they can finish the other versions. Fuck em indeed. Make us wait an extra 7 months, I'll just wait 8 or 9 and get it dirt cheap.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I am serious. Those people are part of the problem of 3rd party support on Nintendo systems, whether they like it or not (Nintendo is also a part, I'm not denying that). Especially if anyone who owns this game for PS360 starts complaining about lack of 3rd party games to play on Wii U, or Nintendo systems in general. It has nothing to do with being 'owed' a sale.
They hardly do themselves any favours. Either secure a release of a Wii U version day and date with the other consoles, with features that can't be had on those other consoles, or accept that people will buy the games elsewhere. Simple.

Obviously that doesn't apply for Rayman given it's coming out same day (horrible delay aside), but stuff like Aliens CM and Need for Speed MW are both hugely delayed or don't have release dates. It's a worrying trend.

Gotta say, I'm surprised at the number of people taking a business decision like this personally.

Erethian

It was always a weird choice for an exclusive considering how the first game did relatively poorly. What should be concerning is that they're sending it to die later this year, when there will be more competition in all forms. More Wii U titles coming out, big multiplatform titles coming out, the hype of next-generation consoles sucking a lot of the marketing oxygen out of the market. Just a bad decision in general, really.

jondabomb

Wish this would come to the vita as well, Origins was the first game I got on the Vita and it was a blast. hopefully they release it for handhelds at some point in the future.

It's going to be hilarious when this game sell less than Origins altogether.

It'll be hilarious if the game sells least on the Wii-U, and Wii-U titles are constantly dropped as a result. See what I did??? Rayman is great series, I hope it succeeds. Nintendo is great to many, let's hope it succeeds.

Nah...It'll bomb on the Wii-U. The sales on the other systems will support their decision. If sales for the other systems are better, this will be a huge negative to future Wii-U third party support. If the game fails, they can blame it on the decision.

This is a gamble, one that could have huge potential for the future of Wii-U third party support. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo rubbed Ubisoft the wrong way, and that is what really lead to this decision.

It will bomb tremendously everywhere. By September Wii U owners will have better things to play like Wind Waker HD, and Ps360 owners will be busy playing GTA V or saving their money on other next gen systems. I mean seriously, Look at what launching on the same day as Assassin's Creed Revelations did to Rayman Origins. A niche game like this launching anywhere near GTA: V has no chance.
It'll be hilarious if the game sells least on the Wii-U, and Wii-U titles are constantly dropped as a result. See what I did??? Rayman is great series, I hope it succeeds. Nintendo is great to many, let's hope it succeeds.
Ubisoft would only have themselves to blame for that. If anything, it should be a sign to other publishers that doing dumb shit like this is not a good idea. But even if the game does sell more on the ps3 or 360 it shouldn't be surprising since those platforms would have an install base 8 times more than the Wii U's

?oe?oe

You so funny. Rayman fans are the ones hurt. Ubisoft have themselves to blame when it comes to the Wii U sales they lost, which they will obviously be disappointed with, yet use it as an excuse.

They had a potential chance to capitalise the Wii U software situation and now that is gone. Pretty much doing the opposite to what they said at the beginning. No real reason why they couldn't just launch the other versions later. Ultimately, it's just a stupid business decision.

ksamedi

Third party developers are motivated by the $$$. That is the bottom line. If the sales figures support the decision, no amount of complaining our boycotting will stop the future trend in dropped exclusives or lesser expectations in future Wii-U third party support. Developers know that a lot of the complainers had no interest in buying the system. The actual numbers are what matter.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with Ubisofts actions. Though from a financial "marketing" standpoint, this is the right decision. It's much easier to get hype a game once, it's much easier to sell the game on all systems when released simultaneously, and it's much easier to compare the sales on each system as a result. Wii-U version still has exclusive content, Wii-U version still had the most marketing, if it bombs...

I don't know about bombing on WiiU but the huge draw for me for this game is the asymmetric multiplayer component. It's huge fun in co op and I will definitely buy the WiiU version even if the other versions have online play or something. Shame it got delayed. I was hugely looking forward to it.

Fireblend

Banned
It's going to be hilarious when this game sells less than Origins altogether.

Origins was a brilliant game, and if Legends is half as great, it deserves to sell well. You may hate on Ubisoft as much as you want, but this franchise has some real potential, it's a platformer game unlike few others I've played and there's no doubt in my mind it's got some serious dedication from its developers.

I hope this was the right decision, and that it sells well after all, in whatever platform(s) it releases.

NotLiquid

I would love for it to succeed, hence why I think releasing it in the month when the entire release schedule is bound to to be skewered around GTA V's gravitational pole and other potential games is an awful idea for a game that's not bound to sell much to begin with.

At least it'd have gotten some launch window hype on the Wii U if it released around this time. Now it's instead releasing at the end of the console gen when there's more interesting things to use $60 on.

I imagine we'd have to look at the system breakdown, specifically how well Origins sold on the Wii, to figure out if Legends is likely to sell better than Origins.

Origins was a brilliant game, and if Legends is half as great, it deserves to sell well. You may hate on Ubisoft as much as you want, but this franchise has some real potential, it's a platformer game unlike few others I've played and there's no doubt in my mind it's got some serious dedication from its developers.

I hope this was the right decision, and that it sells well after all, in whatever platform(s) it releases.

Of course it deserves to sell well. It has great potential. A beautiful art style. More originality than the last three NSMB games put together. But Origins didn't do very well, and it came out in the middle of November, a very busy time in the market when things like CoD are coming out. Instead of choose the practically empty Summer period, they went with the month one of the biggest games of the year comes out. They have no common sense at all.

Raad

Banned
This was a pretty easy thing to predict. However I thought they would announce xbox 360 and PS3 versions after Wiiu version launched. Sucks for Wiiu owners but absolutely great news for Xbox/ps3 owners.

Loved origins, will pay full price for this to support great games. Thanks.

I still don't understand Ubisofts reasoning for delaying the WiiU version to have simultaneous release with the other platforms. RE4 on GCN was launched almost a year before the PS2 version for example and it sold well on both platforms. WiiU owners will buy the WiiU version anyways, and those who don't have a WiiU version would just wait for the PS360 versions. Delaying the WiiU version just kills the hype for the game and by September there may be a strong enough library on the Wii U for those who would have purchased the game to pass it up in favor of Pikmin 3, or Lego City Stories etc. I just do not see how this is strategically a good move for sales

For those of you threatening to not support Rayman Legends on Wii-U for this decision are going to cause future problems.

By doing so you:

Show them they are wrong by supporting the title. Show other developers that the Wii-U sales are solid enough for exclusives. Prevent the ripple effect!

No need to buy Legends since there will (HOPEFULLY) be Nintendo titles to play this Fall. Ubisoft am cry

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I still don't understand Ubisofts reasoning for delaying the WiiU version to have simultaneous release with the other platforms. RE4 was launched almost a year before the PS2 version for example and it sold well on both platforms. WiiU owners will buy the WiiU version anyways, and those who don't have a WiiU version would just wait for the PS360 versions. Delaying the WiiU version just kills the hype for the game and by September there may be a strong enough library on the Wii U for those who would have purchased the game to pass it up in favor of Pikmin 3, or Lego City Stories etc.

1) It means one marketing campaign.

2) Late ports historically do terrible.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No need to buy Legends since there will (HOPEFULLY) be Nintendo titles to play this Fall. Ubisoft am cry

Ah there we go, the crystallised purity of where this all both leads and stems from.

sphagnum

Banned
As someone who doesn't own a Wii U, it doesn't really bother me that it's getting ported. I expected as much. But the delay is a real unfair kick in the balls to Wii U owners.

urfe

Whether I pick up this game or not (for Wii U) depends on how much I'll enjoy Rayman Origins for Vita when I pick one up.

A part of me is really sad about this news, considering the push Nintendo tried to give Ubisoft. But then again, Nintendo will succeed or fail based on their fall lineup.

I wonder if Nintendo will still publish is for Japan?

kunonabi

By doing so you:

Or I could spend that 60$ on a game that deserves. The only real reason I was interested in Legends to begin was the asymmetrical multiplayer. They already toned it down as it is and it is just going to be further marginalized to make room for the limitations placed on them by the other platforms. I'll just spend my money on FOTNS and Lego City Undercover.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did someone post the Square shot themselves in the foot meme already?

Portugeezer

3) Easier to gauge future support when comparing actual sales. (This goes beyond Ubisoft)
It's not though, not unless they plan NOT to move onto Sony and MS's next gen consoles.

Comparing Wii U sales to 360/PS3 is meaningless now with publishers moving to other next gen systems.

Consider this the first "Test"
You mean consider this another unfair test. AFAIC every 3rd party Wii U game is a fucking test, Wii U should have 100% attach rate due to tests.

Tiamant

Don't know if this has been posted, apparently is from a member of the Rayman Legends team that posts on the spanish forums EOL:

"Yo os entiendo perfectamente, pero tenéis que entender una cosa. Esto no es una decisión tomada por el equipo de desarrollo, esto viene de muy muy arriba, así que por favor no la toméis con el juego.

Si vosotros os cabreáis imaginaros nosotros. Pensad en la situación, llevábamos haciendo overtime con este juego desde prácticamente mayo preparando el E3, y después casi a demo por mes (gamescom, presentación de WiiU, tiendas, eshop, etc...) y a la vez intentando acabar el juego. Tuvimos un primer retraso porque era obvio que no se podía terminar en fechas, pero lo dimos todo para estar ahí en febrero. Qué cara creéis que se nos quedó cuando la semana de cerrar el juego nos dicen que no iba a salir? Yo no me lo podía creer.

A efectos prácticos vosotros tenéis que esperar unos meses más a que el juego salga, y muy probablemente sirva para añadir más contenido y hacerlo mejor. Para nosotros lo que significa es que nos hemos pasado 6 meses sin ver casi a nuestras mujeres hijos y amigos para nada, porque total, no hacia falta tanta prisa. Creedme, ha sido un infierno tragar esta noticia.

Aún así mantengo lo que dije en su día, Rayman Legends es un juego excelente y lo será, y el equipo que lo ha hecho no se merece que le deis la espalda por unos señores encorbatados que un día tomaron una mala decisión. Así de mierder es esta industria"

"I understand you perfectly, but you must understand one thing. This is not a decision made by the development team, this comes from very high up, so please do not take it to the game.

If ye imagine cabreáis us. Think of the situation, we had been doing overtime with this game from virtually paving the E3 in May, and after almost a month demo (gamescom, WiiU presentation, shops, eshop, etc ...) while trying to finish the game. We had a first delay because it was obvious that he could not finish dates, but we gave everything to be there in February. What do you think we face when the week was to close the game would tell us not to leave? I believe I could not.

For practical purposes you have to wait a few months until the game comes out, and probably serve to add more content and make it better. For us it means is that we have spent almost six months without seeing our women children and friends at all, because all, not necessary to hurry. Believe me, it was a hell swallow this news.

Yet I maintain what I said at the time, Rayman Legends is a great game and it will be, and the team has done does not deserve you turn your back for a few gentlemen wearing ties that one day made ​​a bad decision. So is this industry of shit "

I found this at meristation forums from Gonzark, a reliable poster.

So can we expect at least one journalist to ask Ubi why they did this?

Financial reasons "Marketing"

Easier to effectively marks cross platform

Past precedent sales figures comparing games released simultaneouslyvs multiplatform games released after a huge delay.

Pick one.

qko

Question: If Nintendo has the rights to publish it in Japan, they will probably be getting it soon or terminate the publishing deal?

Malvingt2

Don't know if this has been posted, apparently is from a member of the Rayman Legends team that posts on the spanish forums EOL:

oh wow he was shocked by it too.. damn. Oh wow they are unhappy and the game is done with his comment.

This news deserved a Thread with better translation..

Kimawolf

"I understand you perfectly, but you must understand one thing. This is not a decision made by the development team, this comes from very high up, so please do not take it to the game.

If ye imagine cabreáis us. Think of the situation, we had been doing overtime with this game from virtually paving the E3 in May, and after almost a month demo (gamescom, WiiU presentation, shops, eshop, etc ...) while trying to finish the game. We had a first delay because it was obvious that he could not finish dates, but we gave everything to be there in February. What do you think we face when the week was to close the game would tell us not to leave? I believe I could not.

For practical purposes you have to wait a few months until the game comes out, and probably serve to add more content and make it better. For us it means is that we have spent almost six months without seeing our women children and friends at all, because all, not necessary to hurry. Believe me, it was a hell swallow this news.

Yet I maintain what I said at the time, Rayman Legends is a great game and it will be, and the team has done does not deserve you turn your back for a few gentlemen wearing ties that one day made ​​a bad decision. So is this industry of shit "

I completely see where they are coming from. It makes sense for them to be excited only for publishers to change their minds. As they said, the industry is shit. But it looks like it's digging its own grave so in the future maybe it'll be better.

Replicant

Did someone post the Square shot themselves in the foot meme already?

Yes but why go for a fake when you have a new and improved "Honor & Shame 2013"?

RobbieNick said:
No!! No fucking way, No!!

This is fucking bullshit! Absolute, grade-A fucking bullshit!! I've had this game pre-ordered since September of last year, thinking it was going to be a launch title and they pull this bullshit?! No. Fucking no. This game is ready to go on Wii U. It's done. It's pretty much ready to ship. They can't lie about that.

This game was my game of E3 last year. It was the #1 reason I bought a Nintendo Wii U in the first Goddamn place. Now they're gonna fuck over their customers by announcing a delay 3 weeks before it was gonna launch? Fuck that, I'm writing letters and so should you.

Write to Nintendo. Let them know how important a title this is NOT to be delayed again. Let them know you may just trade in your system if this game does not come out on it's expected date.

Write to Ubisoft. Let them know how much you've been waiting and wanting to play this game. Tell them that they're fucking over their fanbase by delaying this game just to appease to the dudebro crowd. Tell them if they go along with this, you will NOT buy a new copy and wait until you can get it used because if they do this, they won't see a god damn dime of my money.

This is NOT the news I needed to wake up to right now. God damn you Ubisoft.

So... Ubisoft moved this out of February (which is a light month on all platforms) into September? Just to sell this to the same people that didn't buy it the first time?

To put it another way, my game budget for Feb was $100, Fire Emblem and Rayman. Jeez Ubi, do you know all the other stuff I'm going to be playing in September?

Also, previously Nintendo-only third party games almost universally perform worse when they are no longer exclusive.

Vdragoon

You know if that is indeed the case, their CEO should be slapped in the face. He should have it made it clear the game was nowhere finished and it is being delayed as a result, not playing the stupid wait for xbox/ps3 card to incite the fans.

edit: Or is he saying the game is finished? In that case that is even a bigger load of shit.

Top Bottom