• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: PS5 to be a half step, release in 2019 with PS4 BC

Jolkien

Pachter has been really off the mark lately, I'm not sure if his predictions warrant threads anymore.

I can't imagine a hypothetical PS5 still stuck on Jaguar. That would be really sad. I don't expect another half-step myself. Pro sales and interest in it seem to be pretty low. People don't want this shit.

Didn't Sony said 33% of PS4 sales are Pro ? And at least in Quebec they disappear pretty quickly, seems to be selling just fine.

When did six years worth of advancements become a "half-step"?

More importantly: why does anyone still listen to Pachter? I watched his show back when I couldn't get enough GT, but divorced from that crew I don't really care about his viewpoint.

Blobbers

Well broken clocks and all that.

w8wut.gif

When did six years worth of advancements become a "half-step"?

More importantly: why does anyone still listen to Pachter? I watched his show back when I couldn't get enough GT, but divorced from that crew I don't really care about his viewpoint.

You cared enough to click on a thread essentially titled "PACHTER VIEWPOINT INSIDE"

FFFFFF no BC?!

thats not anywhere near a half step considering the RAM and CPU improvements brought to the table. Far bigger of a jump than Ps4 to PS Pro. And sony are not looking at PSPro to PS5, but PS4 to PS5

PS4 to PS5 will essentially be a gen leap which it should be

2 half is a full step.

massoluk

Banned
I don't know if I want to treat him better than any guy on Twitter outside of actual balance sheet analysis at this point. This is all guessing with nothing to back up

ty_hot

If PS5 comes in 2019 then GT Sport is the only GT we are getting this generation.

I do believe PS5 will have bcPS4 and will be released in 2019 though. They just wont let the X1X be the most powerful console so long.

Jolkien

I read it was one in five.

Oh maybe, still plenty for what you can see as a premium product. At least in Canada I check and they're often sold out on Amazon.ca (there's 2 left right now). Still it outperforms what Sony was projecting.

Bashtee

I'm quite sure his 240fps is a reference to an Interview from before the launch of the PS4, where he said that an hyperrealistic graphics. He also got a lot of shit for it.

Heidern98

This feels like the opposite of what Cerny asserted during the run up to the release of the Pro. It seems like the move someone would make if they were being reactionary to the XBox One X. I'm not buying it.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
My estimate:

- late 2019 or early 2020, giving xboxxbox time to breath safely and sell current Sony options.
- PS4 BC. Same architecture so of course they will have it. Ties current titles nicely to the new system.
- (all digital or card based nintendo like system) not likely but a guess
- 399€, 38 990円 so power is relative to this price.

You cared enough to click on a thread essentially titled "PACHTER VIEWPOINT INSIDE"

No, I cared enough to comment after seeing a stupid claim right in the thread title. I wouldn't go out of my way to seek out his opinion. I literally rolled my eyes over a thread title, saw it was a dumb opinion, and responded.

Six years is a pretty long cycle. Not PS3 to PS4 long, but not a half-step by any means.

And, yes, the Pro came out last year, but games are still targeting the original PS4.

Reki

No. AAA will always prioritize pretty screenshots over smooth gameplay, no matter how much power they're working with.

You are right, but I was thinking more about the hardware and how much would it cost, even in the next two to three years. They could maybe reach 4K/120fps in 2020/21, but that would need an expensive pricetag I believe.

Bizzquik

Please don't release until CPUs have come close to performance & price point as GPUs.

Getting Dynamic 8K Scaling at ~28fps sounds both plausible and terrible.

bitbydeath

No, I cared enough to comment after seeing a stupid claim right in the thread title. I wouldn't go out of my way to seek out his opinion. I literally rolled my eyes over a thread title, saw it was a dumb opinion, and responded.

Six years is a pretty long cycle. Not PS3 to PS4 long, but not a half-step by any means.

And, yes, the Pro came out last year, but games are still gathering the original PS4.

He asserts it as a half step from the Pro as the Pro was a half-step from the PS4.

So it is a full step from PS4.

Kilau

I feel like they would have to actively avoid newer tech for this to be true but who knows.

Chumley

Banned
Honest question, why the fuck do people who say "Why does anyone listen to this guy???" keep entering these threads? If you don't give a shit about his opinion, wouldn't you logically not enter threads with his opinion in them?

Boggles the mind.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why would maintaining compatibility ever be even a question now they are on x64?

Seriously, where would be the upside to deviating from the clearly defined AMD roadmap at this point in time?

I find this doubtful. 2020 at the earliest in my opinion, and it won't be a 'half-step'. They're going to want to market the PS5 as a beast, not a 'half-step', so that doesn't make any sense to me.

We're still relatively early in the gen, PS4 is still selling tons, there's no reason to rush into next gen especially since games take longer to develop nowadays. My guess is actually more like 2021-2023.

They're in the sweet spot right now, with tons of people still getting on board this gen. They have no interest in jumping gens anytime soon.

You are about as clueless as Patcher!

I'm just making the move to PC right now and getting done with it.

I am too, but I must have PS too for the exclusives. I've had enough of being locked into playing the way some else decides though.

massoluk

Banned
Honest question, why the fuck do people who say "Why does anyone listen to this guy???" keep entering these threads? If you don't give a shit about his opinion, wouldn't you logically not enter threads with his opinion in them?

Boggles the mind.
Uh, no. I say we are allowed to enter Michael Bay movie thread to whine about his movie

Instro

I mean he's no technical mind, but it's pretty safe to assume that the gap between the Pro.and the PS5 would not be as big as a traditional generational leap. Unless they wait until 2022 or something.

Weren't some posters in the XoX / Destiny 30fps threads speaking of 2019 being a decent year if the next consoles are targeting solid CPU upgrades?

Since the CPU seems to be holding back these mid-gen upgrade consoles, it'd make sense to wait for an opportunity to upgrade the processors with a new console. Turn those 30fps games to 60fps, allow more characters on the screen, more physics and destruction, more interesting interactions, etc.

A new console should make easily demonstrable improvements by default on all backwards compatible games, be VR/AR ready out of the gate, and support new capabilities (am thinking of the possibilities with cloud AI / learning machines to handle spawning and AI routines that adapt to the player myself).

Ateron

Sony already did a half step, it's called the Pro.

This guy is delusional if he thinks sony will wait till 2019 for 6tf just to match scorpio, especially when they got the market on lock.

Unless something around 8-9TF is a "half step" and still using the jaguar, then sure. But I hope ps5 will break free from the chains of that pretentious black cat. LET THE POWER FLOW

..or something.

Top Bottom