• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO of Niantic booed onstage at Pokemon Go Fest. App unplayable, many still in line

eHEaihG.png

Fixed

C3NTWLD.png

Piers

People forced into teaming up against other teams creates a pretty awesome social aspect. It's why i've been playing and now onto lvl 38. It's also I'm a bit of a grind head thanks to older MMO games lol
Aye, and in my case it's nice to have a game that gives me something to do on the way to and from the same places. Doesn't require so much focusing like other games.

Aye, and in my case it's nice to have a game that gives me something to do on the way to and from the same places. Doesn't require so much focusing like other games.

Yeah. Also the new gym update makes it even easier to get coins now. It reduced competition but i'm very territorial - if that gym ain't instinct, it's going down (except on weekends)

Mr-Joker

Banned
At one event someone threw a bottle at the host, not a great look for the Pokémon fan base.

shitheads02ksu.gif

The whole idea of this event is also very inviting for DDOS trollers.
Edit:
Meanwhile in the Chester event:
w6tPKlX.png

MFxN2iL.png

vZziiID.png

vyqwR2G.png

05lsWIh.png

Ah yes, the old traditional attack and mock something that they don't understand tacit.

Pfft sad losers.

Wow major fuck up if true. Hopefully all people there are refunded then.

They're getting a refund plus $100 in Poké coins.

The thing I don't get is why Pokemon trading and fighting were not a thing. They could have copied a light version of the formula from the handheld games and it would have been better than what we got.

Considering that Niantic aren't able to get the game running at the basic level when it launched and still aren't, how can they be expected to handle trading and battling worldwide.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I wonder why games are still some kind of a taboo when all gamers are respectful and balanced people.

That's not really a gamer thing. Most sport events, concerts, and others will end up with a lot more shit being thrown if it was a disaster like this.

Not condoning it all.

cyba89

At one event someone threw a bottle at the host, not a great look for the Pokémon fan base.

You say that as if the Pokémon fanbase is a certain smaller subset of gamers. That doesn't work when Pokémon is literally one of the biggest mainstream franchises in the world enjoyed by people across different ages.

luulubuu

That's not really a gamer thing. Most sport events, concerts, and others will end up with a lot more shit being thrown if it was a disaster like this.

Not condoning it all.

Still. She is a person and I'm pretty sure not responsible of the shit show of the fest. Throwing shit at her or anybody just because the fest is a wash? Where's respect?

Niantic has acted poorly but I don't think it justifies aggression.

ironmang

Not condoning it all.

Ya I really don't know why 1 guy throwing a water bottle can taint the image of tens of millions of players. Chicago had at least dozens of people throwing shit at that Bartman guy and we don't act like all sports fans are violent lunatics.

Plenty of people like this on GAF.

I distinctly remember an amiibo thread where members were shitting on people for collecting amiibo. Don't y'all realize we're all a bunch of fucking nerds?

It's extra silly when people on here do it. How can someone shit on someone else for being nerdy when you're both on a video game enthusiast forum.

Maybe this is silly, but I wonder if cellular companies in the area couldn't handle the traffic

That's actually my understanding of what happened. Concentrating a large number of people in a small area and telling them to use a data-intensive app flooded Verizon, who ran out of bandwidth which I expect resulted in people being throttled. It's always been my experience that internet access at music festivals becomes awful and doesn't work great, and since the app is apparently pretty sensitive to slow/intermittent access...yeah.

Partially speaking out of my ass here, but I think Niantic had the server capacity to handle the surge of traffic. Scaling is a really hard problem, you can get bitten by many different issues. Niantic definitely have to own this, but it's not like they're a bunch of doofuses who failed to learn the lessons from last time.

luulubuu

Ya I really don't know why 1 guy throwing a water bottle can taint the image of tens of millions of players. Chicago had at least dozens of people throwing shit at that Bartman guy and we don't act like all sports fans are violent lunatics.

It's extra silly when people on here do it. How can someone shit on someone else for being nerdy when you're both on a video game enthusiast forum.

Keep normalizing this. "Becauze one does doesnt mean all of them does" Yeah, of course doesnt mean that at all but the fact someone is angry at a convention about a game and that person engaged aggression talks bad, believe it or not, at all of us who enjoy games.

Maybe you can't see it as a problem, but this is bad press and bad press is never good. When stuff like this happens you should say "Yeah, thats not cool" not "Well...is just one" because one then another one and you have multiple guys who will normalize it for others too.

Sighs, Why I even try.

Fox Mulder

God forbid people celebrate something they enjoy

Wait, why are you on a gaming forum again

Yeah.

I was taking a lunch break at McDonald's awhile back and people came up asking for directions to a convention center. They were going to a mermaid convention. Sounded cool.

ironmang

Keep normalizing this. "Becauze one does doesnt mean all of them does" Yeah, of course doesnt mean that at all but the fact someone is angry at a convention about a game and that person engaged aggression talks bad, believe it or not, at all of us who enjoy games.

Maybe you can't see it as a problem, but this is bad press and bad press is never good. When stuff like this happens you should say "Yeah, thats not cool" not "Well...is just one" because one then another one and you have multiple guys who will normalize it for others too.

Sighs, Why I even try.

Only reflects poorly if someone doesn't understand how press works. They aren't going to report on the married couple that plays pokemon go on their morning walk.

I don't see how me pointing this out will cause more people to do similar things.

RyanW

Everyone who is at Go Fest also gets Lugia added to their account without having to raid. Some on Reddit are saying Legendary Raids will be live for everyone within 48 hours

tanooki27

The thing I don't get is why Pokemon trading and fighting were not a thing. They could have copied a light version of the formula from the handheld games and it would have been better than what we got.

I suspect those features would have made the game feel close to a mainline Pokemon title, and i bet Nintendo don't like that.

The Boat

What a great idea it was to hold a festival where thousands of people connect at the same time in the same place with cell data. I mean, what could go wrong?

DJKhaled

Only reason it's not in is because they want to deal with cheaters first, which seems like an endless task tbh. I suspect they'll put it in eventually but cheaters will always find a way to get around things.

lmao what a load of crap. its not in because niantic are horrible at their job.

dhlt25

did they even have internet setup for the event or were they hoping that the cellular provider can take care of all those people

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wonder why games are still some kind of a taboo when all gamers are respectful and balanced people.

To be fair I've seen far far worse at some music festivals and rock shows. I've seen used tampons and actual shit thrown at people on stage.

Top Bottom