• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't expect them to be canon since he's never released a cut with them included back in, but I wouldn't be surprised if aspects of the extended above the convenience store scenes had some thematic significance. Maybe the whole "descended from pure air" bit will be explored further.
I mean, the "continuation" of the ending and the hospital scene could very well be included. They could be easily and quickly explained.

Flipyap

WHO'S READY FOR NEW TWIN PEAKS

tumblr_n6jr1nQskj1r87tiqo1_250.gif
OH, I'M READY... I THINK

kXzpVlJ.gif

Joqu

I don't see how Missing Pieces wouldn't be canon. Lynch went through great lengths to release them and they're a big focus of that box set. Plus it's a really fun watch imo but nothing people who've only watched the series and FWWM would be confused without. There's one sort of significant scene, the hospital one, but even that is like... one line of dialogue worth of content for season 3 to catch people up on.

Hell, reading Mark Frost's book
the ring passing on to different people seems to be sort of its thing. If it plays a role in S3 I wouldn't be surprised it's not even in the hands of the nurse at that point anyway, she doesn't strike me as an important character per se, just a vehicle.

Yeah I kinda hit a brick wall with the impatience yesterday and needed a breather from all the social media camping but am recharged and ready to go again :)

I'm at the point where it's become hard for me to focus on anything but Twin Peaks, it's a little ridiculous. I've been rewatching episodes, the movie, other Lynch films... Anything I can think of really. Gah. Dx

chekhonte

I've never been so excited for a TV series to come back. Twin Peaks has been in my top 5 tv series of all time since it first aired. The first few episodes still hold up as the most compelling pieces of tv ever created.

They still hold their own besides Rome, The Wire, Deadwood and the best parts of Battlestar Galactica.

I know that I've placed myself in a position where I'm bound to be disappointed but for me Lynch has only improved as a writer and director over the years and even if it takes a while I bet I'm come to appreciate it.

I don't see how Missing Pieces wouldn't be canon. Lynch went through great lengths to release them and they're a big focus of that box set. Plus it's a really fun watch imo but nothing people who've only watched the series and FWWM would be confused without. There's one sort of significant scene, the hospital one, but even that is like... one line of dialogue worth of content for season 3 to catch people up on.

Hell, reading Mark Frost's book
the ring passing on to different people seems to be sort of its thing. If it plays a role in S3 I wouldn't be surprised it's not even in the hands of the nurse at that point anyway, she doesn't strike me as an important character per se, just a vehicle.

I'm at the point where it's become hard for me to focus on anything but Twin Peaks, it's a little ridiculous. I've been rewatching episodes, the movie, other Lynch films... Anything I can think of really. Gah. Dx

Fair points about missing pieces, I enjoyed it all and would def love to see a lot of those things tied together into the new season. The more I think about it I'd be a little bummed if they're going full parallel world travel to retcon some of those loose ends. Still holding out hope on a good chunk of surprise cast returns that weren't in the official big list *cough Heather Graham and Chris Isaak

Joqu

Fair points about missing pieces, I enjoyed it all and would def love to see a lot of those things tied together into the new season. The more I think about it I'd be a little bummed if they're going full parallel world travel to retcon some of those loose ends. Still holding out hope on a good chunk of surprise cast returns that weren't in the official big list *cough Heather Graham and Chris Isaak

I'll accept it if it happens but I wouldn't be stoked about any parallel world shenanigans to explain away loose ends either, yeah. But I'm pretty convinced that it's not going to. Especially not for those purposes.

I really don't know about surprise cast returns though. I don't want to get my hopes up for any of that. D:

hydruxo

Anyone know if the 30 day Showtime trial works with the 30 day Hulu trial? Or do you have to pay for one to get the other to work with the trial

Wollan

I saw a Twin Peaks ad in the cinema tonight (Norway) prior to seeing Alien Covenant.
Hype. It has the final shocking scene of season 2 before todays Cooper walks in from the pitch black. Cuts to text saying 'It is happening again'. 'Twin Peaks season 3 on HBO Nordic May 22nd'.

I'm tempted to buy a cherry pie and some donuts for the premiere. I'd have coffee but I wouldn't be falling asleep after.

My plan is to watch it in the dark with headphones, enveloped in all that Lynch goodness with zero distractions, food included. Then I'll be going out with the girl I'm seeing to eat coffee and pie to discuss it the next morning. Yes, we're watching it separately because we believe Lynch deserves our full attention (and because his sound design is too good to not use headphones with). Yes, we're going to avoid talking about it via text after the episode finishes airing. Yes, we're taking this a little too seriously.

chekhonte

My plan is to watch it in the dark with headphones, enveloped in all that Lynch goodness with zero distractions, food included. Then I'll be going out with the girl I'm seeing to eat coffee and pie to discuss it the next morning. Yes, we're watching it separately because we believe Lynch deserves our full attention (and because his sound design is too good to not use headphones with). Yes, we're going to avoid talking about it via text after the episode finishes airing. Yes, we're taking this a little too seriously.

Moments like this is why I'm glad that I have a projector and 120 inch screen.

Well Peaks is trending on twitter, finally! Let's hope it translates to some Showtime subs cause this got me hot and bothered (Deadline interview with Lynch):

Is it all done now? Have you finished everything?

There's still a lot of loose ends, deliverables, and things like this. But it's, you know, a long way down the road now. It's coming out May 21.

Maybe we was referring to some final edits or reshoots. Don't leave us with another cliffhanger dag gummit!

big ander

realized on rewatch last month that I diverge from apparently all TP fans on donna. Lara flynn boyle is so much better and maybe my favorite non-coop main character.

think the reason why is touched upon in this Matt Zoller Seitz piece from today http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/twin-peaks-is-not-the-show-weve-convinced-ourselves-it-was.html
Twin Peaks is often described as a mystery or a soap opera, and it was definitely both of those things. But it was also the story of a small town reeling in shock after a random act of violence, acting out in strange and terrifying ways, and purposefully and accidentally disclosing not just their naughty secrets (an element common to the soaps that Lynch and Frost emulated, as well as films like In the Heat of the Night and Anatomy of a Murder), but the persistent sadness, desperation, and dread that lurks under the surface of mundane reality. [...]

But more impressive — perhaps more daring, considering Americans’ limited tolerance for sincerity — was the show’s willingness to plumb the emotional depths of its characters with the white-hot intensity of a 1950s melodrama or a 1970s Italian horror film, without distancing devices, and often without facetiousness or irony.

[...]

The characters’ pain was hilarious if you were a callow teenager or college student who didn’t understand loss or and the many, equally valid methods by which art can examine it. You have to permit yourself a certain vulnerability when watching Lynch, otherwise the simplicity of the characters’ needs and fears and the nakedness of their desperation will seem hilarious. Viewers over the legal drinking age had to decide to be okay with a certain level of emotional exposure while watching the original Peaks.

Twin Peaks was playful about everything except pain.

FWWM donna does like, nothing. the movie is Laura's. she's there to be drugged and molested during the party and nothing more. she's a very plain image of innocence, hardly a character of her own.

Show donna is both the idea of innocence and an immensely complex character. the prim nice daughter of the town doctor, and thus the perfect microcosm for the town-wide ripple effect of Laura's death. in a short span she's faced with immense grief, a pure and confusing love for james, the hidden dangers lurking underneath her hometown, and an unraveling home life. Boyle nails the melodramatic acting. she has one of the best faces to watch in the cast. dozens of scenes become heart-breaking based only on her expressions, and it's through her that the pain felt by the town is best communicated. (ofc this excludes Laura's family)

despite being quite moody and weepy at times, she's one of the strongest characters. While it's misguided at times she's very active in trying to help solve the mystery, and she helps more than she bungles stuff. (unlike audrey.) more importantly her core qualities never shake, she is always quick to arrive at a graceful and understanding point of view after lapses of jealousy and confusion and foolhardiness. I think she's the best and it will forever throw me for a loop that people don't like her.

WOW BOB WOW

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/twin-peaks-secrets.html?mid=facebook_vulture

Yet the creative symbiosis between Badalamenti and Lynch goes even deeper beyond what we hear and see, says Dean Hurley, Lynch's music supervisor. Over the phone, Hurley tells Vulture that once, while studying Badalamenti's MIDI notation for ”Laura Palmer's Theme," he noticed something astonishing. ”The MIDI notation of ‘Laura Palmer's Theme,' you look at it and you're like, ‘What's this a picture of?'" Hurley says. ”You look at it and it's actually ... Twin Peaks. Fucking eerie." That's right: The image below illustrates how Badalamenti unconsciously conceived the song to open in a low-voiced motif, climb upward, peak, cascade downward back to the low motif, once again climb, then fall in the very same shape as the show's namesake.

Lynch and Badalamenti were just as flabbergasted with the discovery, Hurley says. ”I showed David the photo and I was like, ‘What does this look like to you?' and he said, ‘Yeah, twin peaks. What about it?'" Hurley says. ”And I told him what it was, and he just started shouting, ‘It's cosmic! It's cosmic! It's cosmic!' and then he was like, ‘That would make a great T-shirt.' And then I sent it to Angelo, and Angelo was just like, ‘Whoa ... this is scary ... but very cool!"

”When I originally saw this it was like, ‘Man, this really speaks to what's going on here,'" Hurley says. ”It's ethereal, it's spiritual, it is cosmic. The whole show and the whole concept is literally in the DNA of the music that was written before it was even filmed." It's also evocative of the near-telekinetic collaborative relationship between the two. ”Angelo is amazing ... the connection is just straight from his brain to his hands and he can play in real time, you know, whatever David's talking about," Hurley says, adding: ”I can't think of a better poetic representation of their collaboration than that image."

Insanely cool, just holy shit.

cyba89

Just finished my S2 rewatch. Finale is still great.
Will watch FWWM + The Missing Pieces tommorrow and then I'm ready for 4 new episodes of brand new Twin Peaks glory.

Moments like this is why I'm glad that I have a projector and 120 inch screen.

Moments like this I'm glad that I have a good surround sound setup ;)

Like Lynch said in that Deadline article:

"If people at home had as big a screen as possible, and great sound, and if they did turn the lights down for the things they see, and make it a safe place, a good place to see it, that would be really beautiful."

That's what I'm gonna do David, that's what I'm gonna do.

God damn if someone watches this new season ON A FUCKING TELEPHONE they deserve to get haunted by BOB.

Y'all are crazy. I'd love 18 hours of undistilled FWWM Twin Peaks, but I'm assuming I'll have to lower my expectations to accept some of the more soap opera-y stuff from the series.

Either way, can't wait for Sunday.

Snagret

realized on rewatch last month that I diverge from apparently all TP fans on donna. Lara flynn boyle is so much better and maybe my favorite non-coop main character.

think the reason why is touched upon in this Matt Zoller Seitz piece from today http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/twin-peaks-is-not-the-show-weve-convinced-ourselves-it-was.html

FWWM donna does like, nothing. the movie is Laura's. she's there to be drugged and molested during the party and nothing more. she's a very plain image of innocence, hardly a character of her own.

Show donna is both the idea of innocence and an immensely complex character. the prim nice daughter of the town doctor, and thus the perfect microcosm for the town-wide ripple effect of Laura's death. in a short span she's faced with immense grief, a pure and confusing love for james, the hidden dangers lurking underneath her hometown, and an unraveling home life. Boyle nails the melodramatic acting. she has one of the best faces to watch in the cast. dozens of scenes become heart-breaking based only on her expressions, and it's through her that the pain felt by the town is best communicated. (ofc this excludes Laura's family)

despite being quite moody and weepy at times, she's one of the strongest characters. While it's misguided at times she's very active in trying to help solve the mystery, and she helps more than she bungles stuff. (unlike audrey.) more importantly her core qualities never shake, she is always quick to arrive at a graceful and understanding point of view after lapses of jealousy and confusion and foolhardiness. I think she's the best and it will forever throw me for a loop that people don't like her.
I agree. Donna is at her worst when getting pulled into James's storyline, but otherwise she's a really interesting, compelling character with a rich internal life that the show doesn't shy away from exploring.

She was also one of the characters to take the biggest hit after Laura's murder (Spoilers for season 2 I guess)
is solved in the second season, so much of her development as a character relied on that thread and once the show dropped that aspect almost completely her arc was left to twist in the wind.

Got invited to a watch party with my horror friends. They're making mini cherry pies for everyone and bringing donuts. But my company won't let me out of taking a flight to corporate during the season premier on Sunday.

Did I read correctly that they are releasing more than just the season premier this Sunday through On Demand?

AoM

Regarding the Vulture article:

I see the new season having the same trajectory as the original back in 90-91: it's popular at first, most viewers drop off throughout the run, and by the end only the hardcore fans are left.

Got invited to a watch party with my horror friends. They're making mini cherry pies for everyone and bringing donuts. But my company won't let me out of taking a flight to corporate during the season premier on Sunday.

Did I read correctly that they are releasing more than just the season premier this Sunday through On Demand?

The first four episodes.

Ashby

Anybody know if Amazon Channels through Prime is live or On-Demand? Guess it doesn't really matter if the On-Demand version goes up as soon as the live airing starts, just curious how it works before I pull the trigger.

Anybody know if Amazon Channels through Prime is live or On-Demand? Guess it doesn't really matter if the On-Demand version goes up as soon as the live airing starts, just curious how it works before I pull the trigger.

On Hulu I know you can watch the live stream (can even choose East or West coast feeds) with the Showtime channel, I'd assume you can do this on Amazon too. If not, you can still link your Amazon sub (once you've ordered Showtime through there) on showtimeanytime.com. Just click login in top right of screen, should see a list of cable providers, click the link at the bottom that'll take you to a big list, Amazon should be on there. Will need to re-login there to link it. Anytime site has live feeds for sure.

The first two episodes will be live on the Amazon Channel. Episodes 3 and 4 will be available immediately after on the Showtime Anytime.

Brewery here in Seattle had these made for the premiere this weekend.

IMG_7170.jpg

Holy Mountain has had a beer called The White Lodge since they opened two years ago.

LProtag

I'm ready. I think I'm baking a cherry pie with my housemates this weekend.

I can probably only see the first 2 hours as I have work early in the morning but... we'll see.

Maligna

Banned
Here's a weird tribute to a minor Twin Peaks character that I came across years ago.

It's a heavy/thrash metal song all about this guy:
latest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGxJWOyDvfw

I gotta say, this is like the most random Twin Peaks thing to focus on.

Here's the lyrics in case you can't interpret the screaming.

THE BALLAD OF RUSTY TOMASKI
from WOLVES AT WAR'S END by HAMMERLORD

WHOA! HEY MAN IS THIS FOR LIKE THE LILAC PARADE OR WHAT? OOOHH!

ON OUR WAY TO ROCK KNIFE RIVER BUT IN TWIN PEAKS A TIRE BLEW.
OUT OF THE WOODS CAME A MAN SAID IN HIS CABIN HE HAD SOME BREW!
SO I WENT AND I SPENT TIME WITH HIM AND HIS GIMP.

NO PARTY NO FUN, I'M ABOUT TO COME UNDONE.
THEN HE TOLD ME OF A PLACE OF UNIMAGINABLE POWER.
WHERE SPIRITS WILL RIP YOUR FLESH AND YOUR SOUL WILL BE DEVOURED!

LISTEN MAN THE STORY'S COOL BUT YOU PROMISED ME BEER!
WHITE LODGE, BLACK LODGE LIKE WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?
WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? LIKE, WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?! OOOHHHH!

GUITAR!

NIGHT CREATURES HOVER. SEEK TO HARNESS THE POWER.
FEAR OPENS THE GATEWAY.
NO PRAYERS DARE ENTER THIS FRIGHTFUL MAW WITH NOW LAW.
THIS IS GOOD'S OPPOSITE.
ANOTHER PLACE FOR DISGRACE AND VISCOUS SECRETS.

I wouldn't expect them to be canon since he's never released a cut with them included back in, but I wouldn't be surprised if aspects of the extended above the convenience store scenes had some thematic significance. Maybe the whole "We have descended from pure air" bit will be explored further.

The Criterion Collection often teases upcoming releases with a big illustration with either a key element or a rebus style puzzle. The most recent one has a large chunk of meat in a wok on fire ("Fire Wok with Meat"). Early speculation (and it's nothing but speculation at this point) is that this may be a "directors cut" with the Missing Pieces added in. Besides, the recent Blu-Ray box set remaster is fine as it is.

Socreges

Banned
I don't want to see any trailers (I don't think any exist 👍) or reviews. Gonna go in raw. If it's bad, so be it, but I'll go in as unprejudiced as possible.

I'm actually at my parents on Sunday and they won't have the right channel. Will have to wait till Monday when I'm back. 😒

Closer Two

What would be some of your favorite scenes?

The Pink Room
Major Briggs telling Bobby of that dream he had
Last scene of Fire Walk With Me
All black lodge scenes
Ben and Jerry going insane over those baguettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom