• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2013 Edition

bardia

Living in Vancouver Canada. My apartment is on the 32nd floor. I'll get a better picture up when it isn't so foggy and visibility is much better.

EDIT:

What kind of TV is that?
60" Panasonic ST50.

Jack_AG

Banned
Hot damn... so much nice stuff in here. Makes me wish I invested more in my man-cave vs spending it on my motorcycle :(

At least gaming is an all-year hobby. I need to flesh this sucker out with a fresh coat of paint, new doors, trim, build some new desks, etc.

Have just moved into student accommodation, so my setup has been a bit simplified, no surround sound etc. Still does the job.
ibzWlGLArjVeXD.jpg

Where'd you get that penguin background

HPhins54

Neo Member
First off, I want to say that this thread is the reason why I first started visiting Neogaf and lurking a handful of years ago. I love looking at all the different setups. I just moved into a new place and thought it would be the perfect time to post mine.

Here's my modest apartment setup. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.
- 32" Panasonic LCD
- LG soundbar and subwoofer
- PS3 with a few controllers, a charging dock, and a wireless headset
- PS3 games, blu-ray movies, and DVDs on the bookshelves

Next thing I want to do is upgrade my TV. Looking at the new Panasonic plasma S60 model that comes out this spring.

Used my S3 camera so I apologize if the pics aren't the greatest quality.

xJavonta

Banned
First off, I want to say that this thread is the reason why I first started visiting Neogaf and lurking a handful of years ago. I love looking at all the different setups. I just moved into a new place and thought it would be the perfect time to post mine.

- 32" Panasonic LCD

Next thing I want to do is upgrade my TV. Looking at the new Panasonic plasma S60 model that comes out this spring.

Nice, however if you do get a new TV I'd suggest getting a new entertainment center that "fits" the space and makes it look a little less empty. It'd look great!

HPhins54

Neo Member
Nice, however if you do get a new TV I'd suggest getting a new entertainment center that "fits" the space and makes it look a little less empty. It'd look great!

I've been looking at the TV stands that have a mount attached to the top of them. That way I could mount the TV at the top, put the soundbar on the top shelf, my game console(s) and gaming accessories on the middle shelf, and some sort of decor on the bottom shelf.

I really like the setups that add LED strips for ambient lighting behind the TV, so I'll probably do that as well.

Also, my walls are really bare so I need to find some nice, framed pics to put up.

CAVE343

I've been looking at the TV stands that have a mount attached to the top of them. That way I could mount the TV at the top, put the soundbar on the top shelf, my game console(s) and gaming accessories on the middle shelf, and some sort of decor on the bottom shelf.

I really like the setups that add LED strips for ambient lighting behind the TV, so I'll probably do that as well.

Also, my walls are really bare so I need to find some nice, framed pics to put up.

The S60 would look glorious, I'm sure of that. One thing tho, is the cabinet with your games and movies in front of a window and thus blocking it a bit?

HPhins54

Neo Member
The S60 would look glorious, I'm sure of that. One thing tho, is the cabinet with your games and movies in front of a window and thus blocking it a bit?

Yeah. I have a north facing window that's being blocked on the TV side by my bookcase, and exposed on the other side. I have blinds covering the window at the moment, and I'm going to add some thin curtains as well.

I don't think it will be too much light for a plasma set. Plus, I'm usually watching TV or playing games more often at night.

pje122

Yeah. I have a north facing window that's being blocked on the TV side by my bookcase, and exposed on the other side. I have blinds covering the window at the moment, and I'm going to add some thin curtains as well.

I don't think it will be too much light for a plasma set. Plus, I'm usually watching TV or playing games more often at night.

I would save up for an ST, honestly. What is the input lag on the S?
I know my ST has half the lag of the GT, and the VT is even more laggy, so it was clear to me which one to go with for games.

Ryuuga

Banned

This is where it all happens for me. I'm thinking of painting this summer among other things. I should have taken my setup years back when I was still using a sock drawer as my desk and a folding chair.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Out of interest, what've you got acting as a receiver with your setup there? I've considered going with Genelecs myself, but active speakers mess with the traditional amp-centric approach that I've otherwise been focusing on.

I am on an ages old Sony 5300es. Any amp with pre-outs works. Volume control and everything works fine.

Thraktor

I am on an ages old Sony 5300es. Any amp with pre-outs works. Volume control and everything works fine.

Thanks. Yeah, I looked into it a bit more since I posted that. Originally, I was thinking (hoping, really) along the lines of "Well, if they're active speakers I can afford to spend a bit more on them, as I can get a pre-amp receiver, and that'll surely be cheaper than an amp receiver, right?" As it turns out, no. Pre-amp receivers seem to generally start around the €1000 mark, whereas the cheapest decent amp receiver with surround pre-outs I can find is the Denon 2313 at about €800.

I'm researching this before moving house soonish, and to be honest I really have to stop myself going overboard on things like this. I'll probably keep it simple with a Yamaha 673 receiver and a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i's. The Yamaha should last me a good while in any case, and I can move on to a good set of surround speakers at a later point when I have some money to spend.

Ultryx

- 32" Panasonic LCD

Why don't you move your bookshelf along a wall? It looks like it's right in front of your window in the pictures!

CAVE343

Now that's classy Blackvette, the cables are very well hidden. Do you have a console setup as well, or only pc gaming?

Btw, how big is your screen?

ACH1LL3US

Now that's classy Blackvette, the cables are very well hidden. Do you have a console setup as well, or only pc gaming?

Btw, how big is your screen?

Thank you!

Its a Samsung 32d5000 tv (32 inch, 31.5 viewable) that I debezzled and had the metal frame powder coated matte black like the interior of the case. I chose this particular tv because it has less then one frame of input lag and can do the correct 4:4:4 chroma with the hdmi input 1 labeled pc. It also has the ultra clear panel so it looks crazy clear and excellent blacks :)

I went crazy with cable managment... I will take some more pictures of the underside of the table, basically even under the table you cant see the cables really ;)

I want to add a PS4 to this setup when it comes out and I am in the process of getting a PS3 as I miss the console exclusive titles.

omgkitty

Thank you!

Its a Samsung 32d5000 tv (32 inch, 31.5 viewable) that I debezzled and had the metal frame powder coated matte black like the interior of the case. I chose this particular tv because it has less then one frame of input lag and can do the correct 4:4:4 chroma with the hdmi input 1 labeled pc. It also has the ultra clear panel so it looks crazy clear and excellent blacks :)

I went crazy with cable managment... I will take some more pictures of the underside of the table, basically even under the table you cant see the cables really ;)

I want to add a PS4 to this setup when it comes out and I am in the process of getting a PS3 as I miss the console exclusive titles.

What kind of desk is that?

ACH1LL3US

What kind of desk is that?

Its a custom. I bought a butcher block from Ikea ( solid oak version) its 1 and half inch thick ! Dimensions is 73 x 39. I got the nickel plated legs from Ikea as-well. Cost under $300 all said and done and was totally worth it :)

Enron

Banned
Its a custom. I bought a butcher block from Ikea ( solid oak version) its 1 and half inch thick ! Dimensions is 73 x 39. I got the nickel plated legs from Ikea as-well. Cost under $300 all said and done and was totally worth it :)

That looks fantastic. I've been looking to replace my C&B l-shaped workstation, but 39" is WAAY too deep for this room. Do they have narrower lengths?

ACH1LL3US

That looks fantastic. I've been looking to replace my C&B l-shaped workstation, but 39" is WAAY too deep for this room. Do they have narrower lengths?

They sure do :) they have 73 x24 and a 92x24 as-well. The 73x24 is almost half the price of the 73x39 one.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks. Yeah, I looked into it a bit more since I posted that. Originally, I was thinking (hoping, really) along the lines of "Well, if they're active speakers I can afford to spend a bit more on them, as I can get a pre-amp receiver, and that'll surely be cheaper than an amp receiver, right?" As it turns out, no. Pre-amp receivers seem to generally start around the €1000 mark, whereas the cheapest decent amp receiver with surround pre-outs I can find is the Denon 2313 at about €800.

I'm researching this before moving house soonish, and to be honest I really have to stop myself going overboard on things like this. I'll probably keep it simple with a Yamaha 673 receiver and a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i's. The Yamaha should last me a good while in any case, and I can move on to a good set of surround speakers at a later point when I have some money to spend.

Yeah the pre-amp receiver pricing is total bullshit, all logic would dictate that direct RCA jacks with no amplification are an order of magnitude cheaper to do than circuitry for amplified speakers. The reason they charge more is quite literally that they know they can - people interested in preamps are people who already invest more in speakers, so what's a bit more for the amp.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah the pre-amp receiver pricing is total bullshit, all logic would dictate that direct RCA jacks with no amplification are an order of magnitude cheaper to do than circuitry for amplified speakers. The reason they charge more is quite literally that they know they can - people interested in preamps are people who already invest more in speakers, so what's a bit more for the amp.

While I won't deny that the pricing is artificially raised, keep in mind that dedicated pre-amps are going to have much better DACs, for example... which do make a significant difference in sound quality. There is some stuff that at least partially justifies the higher prices.

Top Bottom