• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

So gimme some Avengers runs to read. Here's what I've got:

I've read:
Stan Lee
Roy Thomas (some of it)
Uncanny Avengers (Remender)
Rage of Ultron
Captain America and the Mighty Avengers (Ewing)

Plan to read:
Busiek & Perez
Mighty Avengers (Ewing)
Mighty Avengers (Slott. I've read some already and I liked it)
New Avengers (Bendis)
All of Hickman (I've read Infinity beforehand)

Anything else I should scope out?

I've read:
Stan Lee
Roy Thomas (some of it)
Rage of Ultron

Plan to read:
Busiek & Perez
Mighty Avengers (Ewing)
New Avengers (Bendis)

If you are digging into the post-CW area, The Initiative was a fun book too.

And don't skip Dark Avengers! Best Bendis.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I've read:
Stan Lee
Roy Thomas (some of it)
Rage of Ultron

Plan to read:
Busiek & Perez
Mighty Avengers (Ewing)
New Avengers (Bendis)

Are you reading these digital?
Bendis and Slotts Avengers runs will be collected next year as Complete Collections, if you want to read them physical

Disappointed at no Squirrel Girl OGN or the new Megg and Mogg in that list. I'd throw in 5000KM Per Second too.

Haha yea, it's not my favourite list in the world. Quite interesting though, I'd assume goodreads is made up more of people who are primarily interested in actual novels, and then comics afterwards (this could be false of course, I have no actual evidence of that) so it's a little bit of a window into different reading habits from our own. There are a few there I wasn't even aware of. Out of what I had read I went with The Vision, a really classy book from King & the team, not the kind of book I'd typically associate with Marvel either.

If you are digging into the post-CW area, The Initiative was a fun book too.

And don't skip Dark Avengers! Best Bendis.
Doesn't really matter what era, just good Avengers would be nice. To be honest my hands are full on runs to read anyways, but I want to know. I'll add DA to my list then
Are you reading these digital?
Bendis and Slotts Avengers runs will be collected next year as Complete Collections, if you want to read them physical
Yeah I'm primarily reading physical, so that's good to hear
The Vision is a book I will be recommending forever. It is so insanely good. It is...precious to me.
For sure

Horizon 3-4: I'm actually enjoying this book a lot. I know many people were turned off by the first two issues but I'm enjoying where this is all going. #3 is especially great, featuring the
daring rescue of the guy with the, shall we say, strong connection to the aliens
. Probably the most effective action sequence I have seen since Black Widow #1, it all feels very cohesive, it flows well, the alien weapons are rad and there's good tension.

The beginning of #4 is designed in such a way to maintain the momentum from the last issue, with #3 ending with
one of the aliens sticking the knife in to remove the first tracer/bomb
, and #4 opening with
her going in for the second
. I'm sure it was designed in this way to be trade-friendly but it's a clever trick to keep the excitement going between singles, too. This sequence is highly reminiscent of
that scene in the Matrix where they remove the weird bug tracker thing from Neo
but there's enough of a spin on it to maintain a distance from that film.

By the end of the fourth issue, the
aliens finally seem ready to start assaulting Earth's interstellar capabilities
. It took awhile to get here but I'm excited for what comes next. I think this may be a case of starting the story before the beginning of the story; I'm not yet convinced that we needed everything from #1-2 for this to work, at the least that all should have been condensed into one issue imho.

I read the first volume of Descender by Lemire and Nguyen. Really liked it. The artwork was stunning and I'm digging the direction of the story. Will get to vol 2 tonight

PsychBat!

Banned
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Toys in every store
But the prettiest sight to see
Is the holly that will be
On your own front door

I read the first volume of Descender by Lemire and Nguyen. Really liked it. The artwork was stunning and I'm digging the direction of the story. Will get to vol 2 tonight

Yea, it's just the first volume I've read too, but really enjoyable stuff! I love Nguyen to lil Gotham and it's Greta to see him stretch his muscles with Descender. Some of the hints for later are super interesting..

Owzers

Warcraft was OKAY, but the budget didn't make up for being a bland movie. The Orc rift lacked sustained drama, much like the rest of the movie, it was just a bunch of stuff.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Warcraft was OKAY, but the budget didn't make up for being a bland movie. The Orc rift lacked sustained drama, much like the rest of the movie, it was just a bunch of stuff.

I feel like the issue was where they started the story. All of the interesting stuff seemed like it was coming up next.

Also the acting from the orcs was streets ahead of the acting from the humans, in my opinion, which made me miss them when they weren't on screen.

It also looked a bit cheap, especially in the costuming department. But all in, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Guys, what going on:

2r9Ks2L.png

Old threads need to stay dead.

Guys, what going on:

2r9Ks2L.png

Then they should be getting locked instead of just floating in the ether. I just responded to a post from someone completely new and I redirected them.

Someone posting in the October thread on the first of November isn't that bad. What's bad is when it's the September OT and someone posts in the June thread.

Because that happened.

I mean, I guess in the spirit of Halloween we can see that as the thread coming back to haunt us like a ghost or zombie. Or Zombine.

Looks way better than AD.

I wouldn't have even bothered to include AD because I care so little about it, but I knew all the Snyder groupies would freak out.

Madame McEvil is the best villain name ever

No lies detected.

No trick or treaters here, one of the crappy things about being in a gated community.

I would definitely not be complaining about no trick-or-treaters. Sounds like heaven.

3 weeks and still haven't received my order

Comics are trash

Exactly. They are doing you a favor so you don't have to waste your time reading comics.

The Vision is a book I will be recommending forever. It is so insanely good. It is...precious to me.

I was going to say you won't be alive forever, but I forgot that you're an ageless robot.

Guys, what going on:

2r9Ks2L.png

Messi needs to be more obvious when he posts the link to the new thread. Maybe he needs to pull out the SIXIS gifs.

I love that movie. And that song Mos Def did for the soundtrack.
I can understand why people like the first one more: Deacon Frost is entertaining, the opening scene is practically untouchable as far as action movie openings go, and some of the set pieces are just wacky. That said, the second one has a more fun cast overall, an equally cool aesthetic (the House of Pain and Damoskinos' base are really cool), Blade has a far more interesting character arc to me, and most of the fights are just as memorable if not more. It's also just a more tightly written movie (aside from Whistler, which still doesn't make sense no matter how you slice it).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Should I ask a girl out for meet up at a bar this friday which I only know from social media but interact often in a some kind of friendship way where I am super afraid of because I will have no topic to talk about after a couple of minutes or shall I sit around at home and watch movies and stay in my safezone and be forever alone? 🙈

Ah, I hate myself.

Should I ask a girl out for meet up at a bar this friday which I only know from social media but interact often in a some kind of friendship way where I am super afraid of because I will have no topic to talk about after a couple of minutes or shall I sit around at home and watch movies and stay in my safezone and be forever alone? ��

Ah, I hate myself.

Make a thread. Y'know how GAF loves these types of relationship questions.

Just do it. Fuck it. YOLO. Does she know what you look like?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do you know what she looks like? Is she really comfortable talking to you? I'm guessing she's probably into comics.
Yes to booth.
Most the time we reply to each other tweets and rarely chat on a messenger, but it doesnt feel akward, but we know what the other is up to and engange in conversations.

It most likely sums up to do it, but I am really super fucking afraid :D

See is not into Comics but into popculture and gaming.

Boogiepop

I'm a little afraid of how it'll go, but I'll actually join in on this I guess, as I just placed an order for the first and second omnibuses. I actually recall being kind of disappointed by this run when I first read at least a good chunk of it years back, but I'm hoping that a deeper appreciation of comics stuff in general will help it work for me a little better. (I recall not hating it at least, but I certainly wasn't feeling all "OMG best of all time!" like you hear about it, with the Dark Phoenix Saga in particular feeling like a let-down for me. That said, I recall liking some of the sillier stuff at least off the top of my head, like the Arcade arc with Colossus
ending up as the freaking "Proletarian" via mind control
.) If nothing else, it's a classic enough run that it won't feel wasted even if it's kind of more to sit on a shelf rather than something I find a new love for.

Also, screw the way Marvel broke up those omnibuses. I would've just gone for the first one due to the aforementioned apprehension, but they just had to leave it like awkwardly partway through the Dark Phoenix Saga at the end of the first one. I just know that would drive me nuts, and thus I picked up both. Also, ugh, the third one just has to be off of IST. Guess I'll at least try these before I decide if I want to go through the effort/expense of tracking that down, or alternatively wait for some sort of reprint to swing back around... again. Bleh.

Oh, and it was a kind of insane IST order as it also included a lot of odds and ends, Kabuki Library, Chew Smorgasbord 2 (hopefully now that the last issue is soon the third one won't take TOO long), and Absolute Batman Year One. So yeah, I'm thinking it'll be time to dial back for a while.

Sandfox

Marvel announced that two ongoings will spin out of MU. One of them will probably be the R.L. Stine book and I think an Elsa Bloodstone book would be cool.

Janin's art on Batman #9 was great. Maybe King's best issue. Those early Bane scenes were especially good. I loved the use of the Killing Joke dialogue as well.

Mini List #2 (The list I was looking at was completely wrong):

Avengers #1
Batman #10

Looks like the Ms Marvel omnibus is out in the US as well. Tempted to get it when it comes out here.

Marvel announced that two ongoings will spin out of MU. One of them will probably be the R.L. Stine book and I think an Elsa Bloodstone book would be cool.

Nice! I'm feeling it. Those preview pages in the article look fantastic. Apparently some elements have been teased in totally awesome hulk?

Yes to booth.
Most the time we reply to each other tweets and rarely chat on a messenger, but it doesnt feel akward, but we know what the other is up to and engange in conversations.

It most likely sums up to do it, but I am really super fucking afraid :D

See is not into Comics but into popculture and gaming.

I say go for it. Just don't be weird, dress a little hip and nice, and even out the conversation between you and her. If you have to, tell her your a little nervous. She'll probably be nervous as well. If she's excited and your excited everything should be fine and you'll have a new Overwatch buddy.

Top Bottom