• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
That's bullshit. Fuck MS.

Well, how long until PAX? :(
August 29th. But it's clear that Microsoft pulls the strings, as they are still Bungie's publisher (for now). So I'm not getting my hopes up. Or rather, I'm ratcheting them back down.

Dammit.

joezombie

What kind of incompetent publisher fucks with an obviously meticulously-planned marketing campaign like this at the last second. Did Bungie sign on with SEGA?

Dirtbag

This has to be part of the viral.

I just can't believe this is true. It such a bad idea... Who would green light this idea at MS?
Gag bungie reveal.. WTF?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
This makes no sense whatsoever so I think the ONLY conclusion at this point is it's all a lie. Why have Bungie dedicate resources to this big reveal only to pull the plug THE NIGHT BEFORE THE REVEAL? Why would anyone do that? Why lead the press, your fans, and your peers down some path of mystery and awesomeness ONLY TO SLAP THEM IN THE FACE? Why would any company go out of their way to piss off their loyal fan base THAT MUCH?

seat

Son of Godzilla said:
All a setup for the megaton tomorrow. Believe.
As crazy as I may sound, I have to express my bit of skepticism as well. Wouldn't Microsoft have caught this in time before the countdown was posted? It's fishy if you ask me.

41487d5bf42f178.jpg

If this cancellation is true, could it be related to Microsoft's plans with the supposed motion controller? Afraid of being upstaged by Motion Plus, or E3 went well enough for them that they can save this for later?

fernoca

Well, maybe the publisher (Microsoft?) had the Bungie announcement as a back-up plan just in case Nintendo/Sony announced some..surprise..during their conferences..

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Luke's already been in here saying that it is truth. The President of Bungie wouldn't post an open letter to the community apologizing as part of some viral campaign.

fin

cold_storage_scramble.jpg

7th Column said:
You see, he’s now turning up in Halo 3. As of right now, if you head into matchmaking and hit the start button you’ll notice things aren’t quite as they should be. The Cold Storage ad banner that usually displays is eerily scrambled, and features none other than the Superintendent himself (complete with a somewhat unhappy face) in the top right-hand corner. Click the image above for a full screenshot.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I realize there may be some truth, but Laughtrey and I were talking on MSN and he had some interesting things to say:

the image is numbered

it isnt named something else, its numbered

they had to change the html on the site to reflect the new image, why wouldnt they just name it something like "cancelled or something"

also, its a letter pasted directly over the image that has been on the site, and the site hasnt been restored to normal with a blog post.

youd think if they were serious theyd take down the teaster front page

MS, if I don't wake up and see Bungie's announcement I am throwing my 360 out the window.

Bungie should really just break the god damn NDA, MS is THEIR lapdog now. Not the other way around. What are they going to do about it?

ananag

Neo Member
E3 has never failed this hard on so many levels in so many different ways.

Its still entertaining, but in a different way...

My question is... if the publisher told them not to do it... why would it be Microsoft?

The obvious answer is that it IS Microsoft that cancelled the announcement. I'm pretty Microsoft would know the backlash that it would cause, and they really haven't disappointed when it comes to unveils, nor have they ever cancelled them.

My guess is that it is infact another publisher that canceled it, and is letting Microsoft take all the heat, because that would be the obvious answer.

Dirtbag

Worst E3 ever! Most embarrassing moments #1 ----- all of e3 2008

Sinnoch said:
They're pulling one on you guys.

If it wasn't posted at exactly 7 pm I might believe it.

Raises eyebrow...

Yeah well now I'm not waking up early for annoucement. I'll just sleep in and if I miss a reveal.... I'll be angry at the marketing department.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
UltimaPooh said:
My question is... if the publisher told them not to do it... why would it be Microsoft?

The obvious answer is that it IS Microsoft that cancelled the announcement. I'm pretty Microsoft would know the backlash that it would cause, and they really haven't disappointed when it comes to unveils, nor have they ever cancelled them.

My guess is that it is infact another publisher that canceled it, and is letting Microsoft take all the heat, because that would be the obvious answer.

Uh, Microsoft is Bungie's "exclusive partner" since being independent. Their games are pretty much 360 only and from MS for the time being.

I really don't care that they didn't show it. I didn't know about it a day or two ago, so I'll just act as if they weren't trying to build up fake hype.

GhaleonEB

Sinnoch said:
They're pulling one on you guys.

If it wasn't posted at exactly 7 pm I might believe it.
Where's the joke? A recently independent developer is blaming their publisher for the cancellation of their months-in-the-making E3 announcement.

Haha.....ha?

DuckRacer

If this is indeed true and Luke isn't bullshitting us about this not being planned, Microsoft is the new RIAA.

Just fuck 'em.

legend166

joezombie said:
What kind of incompetent publisher fucks with an obviously meticulously-planned marketing campaign like this at the last second. Did Bungie sign on with SEGA?

Hahaha, this is what I'm thinking.

Kibbles

THIS WAS PLANNED FOR A LONG TIME TOO! Look for proof. (The 'keep it cleans' are links in the wiki)

http://bungie.wikia.com/wiki/Superintendent
Since then, he has also replaced other letters, as shown here:

* K7EP IT CLEAN
* KE1P IT CLEAN
* KEEP IT 1LEAN
* KEEP I8 CLEAN
* KEEP IT CLE0N
* KEEP 0T CLEAN
* KEEP IT C0EAN
* KEEP IT CL3AN
* KEE4 IT CLEAN

Combined, the phrase becomes "0714 08 1030N".
It was believed that he was writing out a date and time. This appears to be 07/14/08 10:30 which was when Microsoft's slot at E3 2008 was. Fans were exited to hear the announcement at E3, but were taken by surprise that there was no announcement. Instead a mysterious page substituting the Bungie.net homepage with a countdown to 7:07:07 AM, July 16th, 2008.

Wow. I'm done with Microsoft's shit.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Fin, is that image for real? Where did it come from?

That banner is showing up fine for me on H3.

Domino Theory said:
Uh, Microsoft is Bungie's "exclusive partner" since being independent. Their games are pretty much 360 only and from MS for the time being.

I thought Microsoft had first refeusal when it came to Bungie games. Maybe they refused this game?

trihunter

Truespeed said:
Let's write a community letter. Where each person adds a sentence. I'll begin.

Dear Microsoft,

There is speculation that you may be responsible for postponing / canceling an announcement Bungie.net was preparing to make. ....

Many of those who were eagerly waiting for the latest developments from Bungie are sorely disappointed with this recent news.

Top Bottom