• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden and Persona 4 Arena surpasses sales expectations

How so? I haven't been following their recent developments.

I'm thinking mainly how ever since they was bought out by Index, they've been really paranoid about reverse importing (see Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4 Animation blu-rays lacking the Japanese version) which is precisely how you piss off your foreign fan base, in addition to having only one game they developed in house released on home consoles (Catherine).

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I know. Just better to put them on your ignore list because it's pretty annoying and sad. I do feel bad for Europeans though, this situation was handled horribly.

Glad that the games did well in Japan. I don't think Persona 4 Arena's numbers in North America are so bad considering the oversaturation of the fighting genre and Atlus's warehouses did empty out, so they are probably happy with its sales.
I feel bad for the Euro folk, but don't fool yourselves: P4A I an amazing game. If you aren't gonna buy it because you've been treated like 2nd class customers I totally respect that, hell I would've done the same. But don't come here telling lies and saying it's only a 60 dollar VA. The game has so much content it has kept me busy since release; on top of that the net play is godlike.

Jay Sosa

Great. Now go and release Persona 5 for a STATIONARY console. If P5 comes out for the 3DS or Vita (lol) I'm gonna throw a fit.

I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't on PS3 exclusively. I mean, look at SMT 4. It's the freaking mainline series and its on a handheld.
Mainline SMT games are unimportant at this point and exist for dedicated fans only. Mainline SMT isn't big enough to justify multi million dollar HD console entry. Persona has replaced SMT as its main series.
Almost everything about Persona 4 is wonderful.

Haters can get bent.
The bright and happy atmosphere ruined the game for me. The final villain is the lamest in the series and was a fucking joke. Other than that the game was pretty awesome.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
tumblr_m71dpyxB1s1r5niulo1_500.gif

LuchaShaq

Banned
I feel bad for the Euro folk, but don't fool yourselves: P4A I an amazing game. If you aren't gonna buy it because you've been treated like 2nd class customers I totally respect that, hell I would've done the same. But don't come here telling lies and saying it's only a 60 dollar VA. The game has so much content it has kept me busy since release; on top of that the net play is godlike.

As someone not deep in the fgc this game was a 60$ visual novel. Just because you appreciated the fighting system doesn't mean everyone does especially those that are only interested due to the franchise.

NEO0MJ

As someone not deep in the fgc this game was a 60$ visual novel. Just because you appreciated the fighting system doesn't mean everyone does especially those that are only interested due to the franchise.

Yeah. If the game wasn't a Persona Spin-off and instead a new IP it wouldn't even have a quarter of its current sales.

SykoTech

Yeah. If the game wasn't a Persona Spin-off and instead a new IP it wouldn't even have a quarter of its current sales.

You could say this about pretty much any popular franchise. No Mario game released these days would sell as much if it were a new IP for instance.

edeo

The bright and happy atmosphere ruined the game for me. The final villain is the lamest in the series and was a fucking joke. Other than that the game was pretty awesome.

I feel bad for you. Darkness doesn't equal depth. A little variety never hurt anyone.

Astra

Almost everything about Persona 4 is wonderful.

Haters can get bent.

Agreed 100%.

Except the haters can get thrown into the TV world, murdered, then strung up on power lines.

P4 has it's flaws, but they're pretty minimal and nit-picky (and one of the ones I personally thought was a flaw was rectified by The Golden.)

I just wish we could get an ideal version of Persona 3. Both versions (FES and Portable) have some considerable drawbacks.

Which flaw would that be?
I have not been following Golden much at all, since I know I'm getting it no matter what.

Agreed on P3. If we could have the content of portable, with the anime cutscenes, and the ingame cutscenes with characters on screen, it would have been perfect.

Wonko_C

This means I can sell my Persona 4 Arena copy with confidence (and use that credit for P4Golden as it will be the first time I play a Persona RPG) then await Persona 4 Arena X2 Plus Reloaded. I don't play that game anymore because all of my friends got tired of it (all we play on our get-togethers is Ultimate MVC3).

stupei

And this is why Persona 2 EP is not coming out here. Thanks, Japan.

Well, I should also thank the US for not buying Innocent Sin.

I did my part. I bought it twice.

I'm thinking mainly how ever since they was bought out by Index, they've been really paranoid about reverse importing (see Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4 Animation blu-rays lacking the Japanese version) which is precisely how you piss off your foreign fan base, in addition to having only one game they developed in house released on home consoles (Catherine).

Isn't the blu ray handled by a completely different paranoid Japanese company?

Thoraxes

I agree only because I was kinda disappointed after P1-P3 the tone change was a bit much.

Wonko_C

Maybe the reverse is true? A new fighting game that attracted a new audience to the series? I read about Persona this and Persona that all the time on this very forum but it never grabbed my attention, until I purchased Persona 4 Arena because I wanted a new fighting game and it was co-developed by Arc System Works, a reputable fighting game developer.

Persona 4 Arena turned me into a Persona fan. It made me watch the P4 anime, now I want to get my hands on P4G.

jcm

Persona, and really just Atlus in general, is the golden child of JRPGs/Niche-titles this generation. Effectively replacing Square.

Actually, I think Atlus has been pretty sucky this generation. Last generation they were the golden child. and Square is the opposite of niche.

Jeels

The story in P4A is probably one of my biggest disappointments of the year. It's still a good game and I like the ideas established in merging the worlds of P3 and P4, but damn barely anything happens and its left a complete cliffhanger.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

I can agree on this, but all I'm saying is that you chose to ignore the extra content because you aren't into fighting games, yet the content is still there. It wasn't an issue of the game shortcomings but of personal preference.

This means I can sell my Persona 4 Arena copy with confidence (and use that credit for P4Golden as it will be the first time I play a Persona RPG) then await Persona 4 Arena X2 Plus Reloaded. I don't play that game anymore because all of my friends got tired of it (all we play on our get-togethers is Ultimate MVC3).

I doubt this will happen, ASW already announced the next BlazBlue and most people into anime 2D fighters will migrate to that one. They aren't as dumb as Capcom to cannibalize their own fighting series by oversaturating their fanbase with multiple choices. The GGXX PSN release is an outlier as I believe they're just testing the waters to bring Guilty Gear back. P4A will at most have a balance patch if lucky.

Maybe the reverse is true? A new fighting game that attracted a new audience to the series? I read about Persona this and Persona that all the time on this very forum but it never grabbed my attention, until I purchased Persona 4 Arena because I wanted a new fighting game and it was co-developed by Arc System Works, a reputable fighting game developer.

Persona 4 Arena turned me into a Persona fan. It made me watch the P4 anime, now I want to get my hands on P4G.

P90

Mainline SMT games are unimportant at this point and exist for dedicated fans only. Mainline SMT isn't big enough to justify multi million dollar HD console entry. Persona has replaced SMT as its main series.

I loved the slapstick and character dialogue in P4. For me, it was the perfect yin/yang to the darkness that was lying below.

http://www.plastikitty.com/wp-content/uploads/FiguartsYukikoPreviewHeader.jpg

Persona-ly, I found images like this golden.

kewlmyc

Persona, and really just Atlus in general, is the golden child of JRPGs/Niche-titles this generation. Effectively replacing Square.

This generation they haven't done anything new really except for Catherine, P4A, and the DS games. Plus Index's stingy practices have hurt Atlus as of recently.

Dantis

So many bitter posts in this thread from the guy who hasn't even played Arena but can't stop telling everyone about how much it sucks.

I've not said it sucks even once in this thread. You're too touchy, mister.

Yeah, get arc system works off P4U so they can work on Persona 5!

Hashino didn't do any work on it, but Seojima and Meguro contributed to a small degree. That means that at least for some amount of time, their attention was diverted from P5. P4A-2 would be yet another diversion, which would lose, what, another month or two for each of them?

Hey, how yas doin'? My name is Labrys and I'm gonna be an idol.

I've changed my mind. Game of the year 2013.

I loved the slapstick and character dialogue in P4. For me, it was the perfect yin/yang to the darkness that was lying below.

I enjoyed the majority of the humour, but felt things like the King's Game were really lame.

That was last generation when SMT3 launched. The rest of their PS2 lineup was piling on touchdowns.

It's the character-derived dialogue-based humor that sold P4's funny.

I feel bad for you. Darkness doesn't equal depth. A little variety never hurt anyone.
I agree. But the game was way to bright and happy. I think it definitely has the worse story in the entire series. The bright and happiness is the reason why the story was so weak.
I agree only because I was kinda disappointed after P1-P3 the tone change was a bit much.
they went waaayyyy to fucking far. It crippled the game and made me hate the characters despite them actually being good. I'm not saying they have to go back to persona2 but they could have at least kept persona 3s tone. It had the perfect balance.

What the hell was dark about persona 4. Besides you know who dying? If you know who would have stayed dead that might have redeemed the game for me. But unfortunately she came back soooooo nope. I also think the slapstick dialogue was lame.

Dantis

What the hell was dark about persona 4. Besides you know who dying? If you know who would have stayed dead that might have redeemed the game for me. But unfortunately she came back soooooo nope. I also think the slapstick dialogue was lame.

Adachi's
story was pretty dark and well done. Shame the absolute villain is terrible and comes out of nowhere.

Beyond that, the theme was about the darkness residing in the characters.
Saki's contempt for Yosuke, Chie's deflection of her own insecurities onto Yukiko etc. etc.

It definitely has dark themes, though they're harder to see in the herp derp of The Golden.

they went waaayyyy to fucking far. It crippled the game and made me hate the characters despite them actually being good. I'm not saying they have to go back to persona2 but they could have at least kept persona 3s tone. It had the perfect balance.

If you think P4 was too far, wait until you see P4G. Wooooah, nelly.

7threst

Reading this thread, I'm jealous at the people who already got to play this game! I hope it's gonna release in Europe soon. There still no date I guess?

Ken

Reading this thread, I'm jealous at the people who already got to play this game! I hope it's gonna release in Europe soon. There still no date I guess?

The good news is when it does release in Europe you guys will revitalize the online scene!

I hope.

God, if Persona 5 isn't a console game with Catherine level art and graphics, I will flip out. I'm already settling for SMT4 with 2d cutout battles. I can't handle P5 in anything less than Catherine glory.

Dantis

God, if Persona 5 isn't a console game with Catherine level art and graphics, I will flip out. I'm already settling for SMT4 with 2d cutout battles. I can't handle P5 in anything less than Catherine glory.

High five!

I'm glad some people have sense. Soejima is an incredible artist, and you really need a proper console to do his art justice. There is absolutely a discrepancy between this:

and this:

Astra

High five!

I'm glad some people have sense. Soejima is an incredible artist, and you really need a proper console to do his art justice. There is absolutely a discrepancy between this:

and this:

Fo sho!

It's a shame P4G didn't get the royal treatment, and had the visuals completely redone to better reflect the artwork.
Throw me in the same boat for an HD Persona 5.

Persona86

Banned
I always thought the Catherine engine was going to be used for upcoming Persona game etc. So I'm pretty sure Persona 5 on consoles.

Just imagining the Persona story with the same style of cutscenes as Catherine is good enough to make me drool, let's hope for the best.

Dantis

I always thought the Catherine engine was going to be used for upcoming Persona game etc. So I'm pretty sure Persona 5 on consoles.

Just imagining the Persona story with the same style of cutscenes as Catherine is good enough to make me drool, let's hope for the best.

Hashino said they developed a whole new engine for it because the Catherine one couldn't handle their vision for P5. Or something to that nature.

I'm expecting great, great things.

Wonko_C

what. how can you even make that argument when a rerelease of persona 4 on freaking vita outsold it

Haha didn't think about that. I guess it didn't attract as many FG fans as I thought. I still want a FG sequel, though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
As much as I love fighting games, I wouldn't want P5 as a fighting game. ArcSys style of VN is so goddamn boring, just a VN with a few braindead AI fights interspersed in between. I'd rather have the traditional hub based persona game.

Also something something region-lock

Top Bottom