• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Vita screens

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Initial Impressions:

-The character select screen has been altered; Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain, and Freddy are now on the bottom row instead of "hidden" to the left/right of Kratos/Cyber Sub-Zero.

-All of the characters are available from the start. Most costumes need to be unlocked.

-Wifi offers ranked, player, and private match types. No lobby system.

-Tag mode is available online.

-Can't comment on the net code since barely anyone is online. The ranked leaderboards only have five people listed.

-Load times are about the same as the console versions.

-This game is most definitely not running at the full Vita resolution.

-Despite the lowered amount of detail, the game still looks good in motion and runs at 60fps* during fights. No question that UMvC3 looks more impressive, however.

(*X-Ray attacks and fatalities go at 30FPS. The game immediately shifts back to 60fps once the X-Ray attack animation cycle completes)

-Background animations have been reduced, but there are still things going on. It doesn't feel lifeless.

-All of the modes and options from the console versions are intact, including:

Arcade Ladder
Tag Team Ladder
Test Your Skills (balance, slice, luck, might, sight, strike)
Story Mode
Challenge Tower
Bonus Challenge Tower (new)
Tutorial
Fatality Tutorial
Practice
Tag Tea Practice
Wi-Fi Versus
Adhoc 1v1
Adhoc Tag
Krypt
Nekropolis
Kredits
Options

I spent a good amount of time with both the 360 and PS3 versions of MK last year. From what I can tell, all of the game play is intact and there's plenty of things to keep players busy. Yes, detail has been reduced, but the game plays exactly the same and the character models are very large on the screen. If the online play turns out well, I will be playing the krap out of this until SFxTK hits in the fall.

Medalion

Banned
Nah, I just think you like having 2 copies of the game in case you think the first one is broken cuz the graphics are so wtf

Lyte Edge

Nah, I just think you like having 2 copies of the game in case you think the first one is broken cuz the graphics are so wtf

Too busy playing to give a shit about visual details. It's 60fps and plays exactly the same...that's all I care about.

Lyte Edge

haha, no way in hell this is the vita.

these shots is PSP quality

mortal kombat vita : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPV39vQIPrs

beautiful!

Yes, a blurry Youtube video with a pre-release version of the game definitely proves how shitty it looks!

The hate on this game is ridiculous. Yes, it looks worse than the console versions. No, it's not a bad port. They did a great job overall.

Lyte Edge

was tekken 3ds a port of tekken 6 psp?

Yes, with missing features. The removed all character customization, story mode stuff (no endings), and a number of backgrounds, then added in new (lower quality) backgrounds and online play. The online play is incredibly bare bones and doesn't even let you choose which character you want to use-- for whatever dumb reason, they made it so that you have to set a default character in the profile settings and must use that character online. You can change this setting at any time, but you have to be offline to do so, so forget changing your character for a rematch. :/ The character models are also missing the same details as their PSP counterparts. No jiggle on the females and Bob, for instance.

Yes, a blurry Youtube video with a pre-release version of the game definitely proves how shitty it looks!

The hate on this game is ridiculous. Yes, it looks worse than the console versions. No, it's not a bad port. They did a great job overall.

He was trying to make the game look good with that video.

Nisa65

Any way you try to cut it the game looks like shit graphically. Even Ultimate MVC3, with it's cut down background animations puts it to shame. The Vita needs to establish itself as a graphical powerhouse and tripe like this does nothing to help the cause.

It's no wonder the 3DS gets more playtime in my joint and elsewhere.

Lyte Edge

Any way you try to cut it the game looks like shit graphically. Even Ultimate MVC3, with it's cut down background animations puts it to shame. The Vita needs to establish itself as a graphical powerhouse and tripe like this does nothing to help the cause.

It's no wonder the 3DS gets more playtime in my joint and elsewhere.

So you only play fighting games for their graphics?

And for comparison sakes. Infinity blade 2 (also unreal 3)

infinity-blade-ii-version-1-15.jpg

Do note this game runs around 30fps for the most part.

Lyte Edge

And for comparison sakes. Infinity blade 2 (also unreal 3)

Do note this game runs around 30fps for the most part.

Lower frame rate, one playable character, completely different type of game, limited mobility ("on rails" game play) and nowhere near the amount of content...not to mention a different platform.

I know with the game not officially out that there's nothing else to talk about but the visuals, but MK is a fighting game and the most important part is its game play. And that has been ported over perfectly.

vg260

Yes, with missing features. The removed all character customization, story mode stuff (no endings), and a number of backgrounds, then added in new (lower quality) backgrounds and online play. The online play is incredibly bare bones and doesn't even let you choose which character you want to use-- for whatever dumb reason, they made it so that you have to set a default character in the profile settings and must use that character online. You can change this setting at any time, but you have to be offline to do so, so forget changing your character for a rematch. :/ The character models are also missing the same details as their PSP counterparts. No jiggle on the females and Bob, for instance.

What? How silly is that. Maybe it has something to do with memory limitations?

Lower frame rate, one playable character, completely different type of game, and nowhere near the amount of content...not to mention a different platform.

well people are throwing up tekken on 3ds for comparison ;P

Just throwing it up to compare to the 'most visually impressive' Unreal 3 game on 'mobile platforms'.

Nisa65

So you only play fighting games for their graphics?

If I'm gonna play a fighting game on a handheld I at least want a graphical experience that is comparable to that of which I'd experience on a console. It's the reason why I completely avoided Blazblue II Extend on PSP/3DS. I have a 360 with a Hori RAP why in the hell would I want to play a cut down piece of crap like this when the technically superior Game of the Year Edition on console is right around the corner.

Ridley327

What? How silly is that. Maybe it has something to do with memory limitations?

If the rest of that explanation didn't tip you off, Scamco put the barest minimum of efforts into Tekken for 3DS. That pretty much sums up their other 3DS selections, too, Ace Combat aside.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He was trying to make the game look good with that video.
He must have not even watched it when he replied, because it does look good in that video. The game looks tons better than those screens would ever suggest.

Just throwing it up to compare to the 'most visually impressive' Unreal 3 game on 'mobile platforms'.
It's a 30FPS game. Vita already has better looking games than that running at 30FPS.

Lyte Edge

Those Mortal Kombat Vita screens look terrible, like it's a PS1 game or something.

That's one hell of an awesome-looking PS1 game!

Yeah, I wouldn't use Tekken 3D for that. Use Soul Calibur Broken Destiny if anything.

If I'm gonna play a fighting game on a handheld I at least want a graphical experience that is comparable to that of which I'd experience on a console.
It is good for a portable game. Again, reduced level of detail, but everything is intact and matches go at 60fps. If you want a portable system with graphics truly on the level of a console, I suggest you get an Alienware M11X. :p

It's the reason why I completely avoided Blazblue II Extend on PSP/3DS.

Those were sub-par ports that suffered from frame rate issues in addition to the huge visual downgrade. This game is not like that.

I have a 360 with a Hori RAP why in the hell would I want to play a cut down piece of crap like this

It's a hell of a lot easier playing a Vita game on the go than it is to lug around a 360, a TV/monitor, and a stick. If you only play video games at home and in your living room, why the hell would you buy any portable version of a console game?

when the technically superior Game of the Year Edition on console is right around the corner.

What "technically superior game of the year edition?" The Vita version of MK has more content than the console versions of MK. The GOTY version you're talking about is MK Komplete and it came out in February. The Vita version has additional play modes and extra costumes. All of the characters being available also means that the four extra characters will always be selectable when you play online, too.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
If I'm gonna play a fighting game on a handheld I at least want a graphical experience that is comparable to that of which I'd experience on a console. It's the reason why I completely avoided Blazblue II Extend on PSP/3DS. I have a 360 with a Hori RAP why in the hell would I want to play a cut down piece of crap like this when the technically superior Game of the Year Edition on console is right around the corner.

Portability.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I hope they didn't use the excuse of "the 3DS can't run it" when asked if MK was going to be multiplatform on portables.

Actually, I kind of hope they did.

Raytow

I hope they didn't use the excuse of "the 3DS can't run it" when asked if MK was going to be multiplatform on portables.

chances are the 3ds can't run the game at fluid 60 fps, but whatever makes your boat float dude.

well Unreal ain't supporting 3ds. So "3ds can't run it without a lot of work".

Shame this game looks bad, was one of the few fighting games that I enjoyed with a controller.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

What do you think it would look like on 3DS if they had to cut down visuals to make it run on Vita?

Lyte Edge

Shame this game looks bad, was one of the few fighting games that I enjoyed with a controller.

And now I ask you: Do you only play fighting games for their graphics? Get BlazBlue then...it's the best-looking fighter on the Vita.

JimboJones

Though Inifinity Blade is made by Epic isn't it? Gears 1 looked a lot better than most Unreal Engine 3 games back in the early days of the 360, i'm guesing they would have better understanding on how to use it, maybe?

Is there any other Unreal Engine games on Vita for comparison?

And now I ask you: Do you only play fighting games for their graphics? Get BlazBlue then...it's the best-looking fighter on the Vita.

never really been a fan of wacking AI in fighters, so pretty much the only fighting portable game I have is Tekken Advance.

Will check it out whenever it's on sale though... or I probably can find the console versions for cheap if I must.

not really a fan of Arc engine stuff.

Here are a few quick shots. Didn't resize them to Vita size, I'm about to head out:

HmFoh.jpg

QkwiP.jpg

I'm guessing this is the difference between 30 and 60FPS for UE3 on Vita, at least for now. Maybe they should have chosen 30FPS so people wouldn't bitch so much. LOL GDGF, if you think they would have this running at 60FPS on 3D on UE3 on a 3DS you're crazy.

Top Bottom