• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damax

Neo Member
I don't have first-hand impressions of anything, but at a minimum, here's the Rtings review of the P-series. The conclusions should apply generally across all sizes except that the 50" TV is only 60Hz and the 55" is an IPS panel instead of VA. Couldn't tell you if the extended warranty is worth it or not.

What's the difference between 120hz and 60hz? I'll mostly be using it for gaming and as a PC monitor.

What's the difference between 120hz and 60hz? I'll mostly be using it for gaming and as a PC monitor.

The higher the hz, the more images/frames you'll see per second (assuming your console/PC supports frame rates of the same level), and the smoother the image will appear.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This email from EB made me laugh.

SgxIMDLl.jpg

Getting rid of a source of competition is a pretty dumb thing to ask for.

True enough - though in reality it seems like it's only a matter of time at this point.

I haven't been tempted to use them in a long time, and don't really consider them competition to Amazon or Best Buy anymore.

Max_Po

Banned
I would buy, however I really hate EBGames when it comes to returns or defects.

One times the guy started yelling at me and his face turned red trying to sell on extra warranty over an exchange.

True enough - though in reality it seems like it's only a matter of time at this point.

I haven't been tempted to use them in a long time, and don't really consider them competition to Amazon or Best Buy anymore.

You were tempted minutes ago to hand over cash to EBGames:

Ridiculously tempted to throw my money at this now, but I'll wait until after E3 to get a better idea of what's coming before I go spending that much.

Glad to see they're slowly becoming more available though - good luck to all aiming to get one!

Having another source to get a product that you want isn't a bad thing. Even if they have to sell pop culture trinkets to stay alive. They're poor competition, and that's on them. It's not really a problem at the consumer level, outside of not having to send credit card info to them.

That would kind of suck actually but I can understand why people hate them. Wal Mart would be the only place selling games in my small city if that happened and they're about the worst corporation in the world.

Yeah, less competition is always bad. It's just that EB Games is slowly but surely fading from relevance regardless.

You were tempted minutes ago to hand over cash to EBGames:

I was tempted to buy a Switch (which was also available from Amazon.ca earlier & with prime shipping & a better return policy) - not to hand cash over to EB Games specifically. Again, they're losing relevance.

Having another source to get a product that you want isn't a bad thing. Even if they have to sell pop culture trinkets to stay alive. They're poor competition, and that's on them. It's not really a problem at the consumer level, outside of not having to send credit card info to them.

Agreed.

Ventara

EB games is great for used games, even though they get a lot of flak for it. It's true that most of my preorders are with Amazon/Best Buy, but those two can't match EB with trade promos and deals on used games. Just a few weeks back, I got Nioh, Nier, Berseria, Horizon, Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 for half off. And I traded in 3 games using a promo, so I only paid about $40.

killroy87

EB games is great for used games, even though they get a lot of flak for it. It's true that most of my preorders are with Amazon/Best Buy, but those two can't match EB with trade promos and deals on used games. Just a few weeks back, I got Nioh, Nier, Berseria, Horizon, Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 for half off. And I traded in 3 games using a promo, so I only paid about $40.

What promo did they have to give 50% off used games like that?

Ventara

What promo did they have to give 50% off used games like that?

Not really half off, but close enough. It was the buy 2 get 1 free promo, which stacked with 10% platinum edge discount. So this brought the games to $63 each, for a total of $126 (one being free), evening out $42 each.

SickBoy

Thus was prompted by semi-regular shout out to EB for their positive impact on video game retail in the late 90s. At that time, better selection and more frequent price cuts than anyone else in the marketplace (plus the slow, twisting death of the good mom and pop places where I was living at the time) made them a breath of fresh air.

There's much less to set them apart now, but they're still a reliable place for preorders and still the lowest-hassle way to get some value for old games.

The locations near me are all pretty good. But I know they're not all like that and I sympathize with people who frequent stores with pushy or power-trippy staff.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I hope EB Gamees sticks around. They dont have the best deals around but they have some killer trade in deals once in a while. Thats how I got my PS4 Pro and Switch. Seriously that double trade in promo on all Switch stuff was awesome.

Not really half off, but close enough. It was the buy 2 get 1 free promo, which stacked with 10% platinum edge discount. So this brought the games to $63 each, for a total of $126 (one being free), evening out $42 each.

Ive got a B2G1 coupon but their used game selection is so limited.

kevin1025

Banned
Amazon E3 2015 reporting in! South Park finally has a date again (October 17). If you still have yours from back then, it should be ~$39.52, give or take, depending on your province's taxes!

Ventara

Ive got a B2G1 coupon but their used game selection is so limited.

I moved some games around by buying from different stores and then asking one store to give me the promo. Some clerks seem to be averse to that (one of them said I was trying to scam them, lol), but if that's the case, just straight up return them right there. It's more work for them, and the games will be put back up the next day.

Kyolux

Amazon E3 2015 reporting in! South Park finally has a date again (October 17). If you still have yours from back then, it should be ~$39.52, give or take, depending on your province's taxes!

Wish I had kept that pre-ordered. I cancelled it because it was coming out at a busy time and funds were low. At this point, I'll wait for reviews and get it with prime discount.

Or maybe E3 will have something good this year.
BELIEVE

kevin1025

Banned
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XZQMMHJ/

Would this be worth getting for me with an i5-3570k?

Currently running with a gtx 670.

oh, it's out of stock at that price.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...8566&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-%zn is just a few dollar more. So question stays the same.

Yeah, I think I'll hold off. I don't play PC games that much and my rig still runs fine 5 years later.

If you don't plan on playing a ton, I would say maybe hold off. I added a GTX 1060 to my PC back in the fall, and have a 3570k as well, and it boosted the hell out of the thing and I haven't had any issues yet in terms of games being taxed. The RX 580 is a little more powerful (or possibly more? Looking at benchmark fights, they look fairly close), so if you're looking to boost your PC, it will definitely do it very well! It just comes down to usage and price, and what you're comfortable with for the time being.

Hey Canada Gaf. Anyone know of any good 4k pc monitors for around 300$? Looking to grab a ps4pro this summer for my office/mancave/small corner in my house to keep my nerd things and staying relatively cost efficient is my goal for this upgrade.

Kyolux

If you don't plan on playing a ton, I would say maybe hold off. I added a GTX 1060 to my PC back in the fall, and have a 3570k as well, and it boosted the hell out of the thing and I haven't had any issues yet in terms of games being taxed. The RX 580 is a little more powerful (or possibly more? Looking at benchmark fights, they look fairly close), so if you're looking to boost your PC, it will definitely do it very well! It just comes down to usage and price, and what you're comfortable with for the time being.

Thanks for the heads-up about that. If it could give me another 4-5 years for this rig.. I may consider it. But is Vega supposed to be a big boost from the current models? Is there going to be something in that price range? Haven't kept up with the gpu stuff this year.

sikkinixx

Thanks for the heads-up about that. If it could give me another 4-5 years for this rig.. I may consider it. But is Vega supposed to be a big boost from the current models? Is there going to be something in that price range? Haven't kept up with the gpu stuff this year.

They said in the Vega thread it will be in the igher price tier as the 580 is already comparable to the 1060

kevin1025

Banned

I don't know too, too much about that sort of stuff, but from what I've read, the new Vega cards are for massive computing type situations, and the consumer level cards are a ways off still. Unless someone can correct me on that! So it will be a while before a normal priced Vega-style card hits the market.

The RX 580 should bump your PC's lifespan for a good while, I would say.

(But it's worth noting I'm definitely not an expert, haha, more that I read up on it quite a bit before I bought my own some months back.)

Kyolux

I don't know too, too much about that sort of stuff, but from what I've read, the new Vega cards are for massive computing type situations, and the consumer level cards are a ways off still. Unless someone can correct me on that! So it will be a while before a normal priced Vega-style card hits the market.

The RX 580 should bump your PC's lifespan for a good while, I would say.

(But it's worth noting I'm definitely not an expert, haha, more that I read up on it quite a bit before I bought my own some months back.)

Well.. decided to order the one on amazon that's $316. Not sure why it says 3 new, but says ships within 1 to 2 months.

So if it ships by end of next week, I'll take it. Otherwise, I'll cancel my order I guess. I'll let that decide for me.

kevin1025

Banned
Well.. decided to order the one on amazon that's $316. Not sure why it says 3 new, but says ships within 1 to 2 months.

So if it ships by end of next week, I'll take it. Otherwise, I'll cancel my order I guess. I'll let that decide for me.

I think the 3 new thing is that three different sellers under Amazon have it. But yeah, normally the 1 to 2 months thing is just a placeholder while they restock. I had it happen on a microSD card, and it randomly shipped a week or so later. Hopefully yours turns out similar!

Kyolux

I think the 3 new thing is that three different sellers under Amazon have it. But yeah, normally the 1 to 2 months thing is just a placeholder while they restock. I had it happen on a microSD card, and it randomly shipped a week or so later. Hopefully yours turns out similar!

Guess I'll see. Going to be weird to go back to an AMD card. Guess I'll try to sell my 670.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom