• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

Never thought this day would come

oprah-tears-tissue.gif

Oprah is the .gif that keeps on .giving.

AColdDay

NICE. I still haven't submitted an episode idea for my pledge. Maybe it's too late for that now? I didn't realize this was happening so soon. Just gave my money and hoped for the best :p

If it's not too late to give my episode idea maybe someone can give me an idea of what they'd like to hear?

I'd like them to discuss controllers, which do they feel are the best of all time.

I'm weird like that!

I didn't even know a Retronauts kickstarter existed. Shame on me.

Am so excited for this. I was just listening to old episodes this morning!

So pleased to have it back. Wish I could've given a bit more in the Kickstarter, but looking forward to my t-shirt soon...

Will hopefully get to listen in the next few days, will need to push through my current podcast backlog a bit quicker!

Any idea when the backer rewards might be shipping out please Jeremy?

I listened to the intro and all I could think was its still not as good as the original :( (I do like Anamanaguchi btw so not hating on them :p).

Awesome episode, glad I didn't waste my Kickstarter topic on an interview with Dr Sparkle like I was thinking of asking for as you guys did it anyway :D Glad to have Dr S on, guy really is a fountain of knowledge for all things Famicom/NES related.

So happy that I will be getting a regular does of Retronauts each and every week, may only be a full episode one week and a mini episode the next but thats enough for me.

One thing I'll say though about the Virtual Console talk, no love to the 3DS VC and all the Game Gear games its been getting as of late, unless of course this was recorded before that all started.

Anyone thinking its worth making an Official Thread for Retronauts ala the Player 1 Podcast thread, might be better to have one place to discuss everything with the show.

Balb

1983 isn't unfamiliar territory for Retronauts (I think they've covered the history of the Famicom at least 3 times during the original run) but it was nice to see the crew back together. The Chrontendo guy was cool too.

Retronauts is the first podcast I listened to and I am really happy it is back. Can't wait to hear it and celebrate.

I didn't contribute to the kickstarter, so maybe I'll buy a Scroll PDF to compensate.

Curufinwe

I'm listening now. This should probably become a megathread for discussing all of the podcasts as they're released, like we have for Weekend Confirmed.

.JayZii

Banned
Off to a great start. Jeremy seems to have gotten his Retronauts groove back and the rotating hosting sounds like a good way to keep things fresh--for both the audience and the hosts.

I am very happy for those three. Now please rescue Sharkey from Callahan's Crosstime Saloon and get him on an episode. A new one on horror games anyone?

MASB

28:28 | July 1983: The birth of Japanese console gaming

What? No Epoch Cassette Vision love? ;) It was the first and maybe only, Japanese cartridge-based console released before the Famicom. Can't wait to listen to the episode! :)

Edit: Going to the libsyn page, I see it's the convergence of three systems that summer that make it the birth of console gaming in Japan. The CV was kind of on its own. It did okay, but obviously had nothing of the success the others (particularly the Famicom and MSX would eventually have).

Well.
I was so disappointed with that VC segment.

Where was the hate? As a 3DS owner, the VC is terrible for the library that could be available. It's the most unreliable drip feed of content, where you're often unsure what's coming and when.

Great episode guys!

krae_man

What? No Epoch Cassette Vision love? ;) It was the first and maybe only, Japanese cartridge-based console released before the Famicom. Can't wait to listen to the episode! :)

Edit: Going to the libsyn page, I see it's the convergence of three systems that summer that make it the birth of console gaming in Japan. The CV was kind of on its own. It did okay, but obviously had nothing of the success the others (particularly the Famicom and MSX would eventually have).

Well they do mention the Cassette Vision.

They do however forget to mention the first true portable game console that came out the following year:

rRC4xda.jpg

Wasn't sure what to expect, but this episode was awesome, really enjoyed all the early 80s game business arcana. I've watched a ton of Chrontendo, and I thought Dr Sparkle killed it here. His delivery on Chrontendo is a bit dry, so I wasn't sure how he'd sound in a group setting, but he was dropping knowledge, He should be a regular.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Enjoyed the episode, but please tell me that there was a copy of Fatal Frame playing in the background. The creepy background noise was so scary.

krae_man

As you may recall from a few months back, the terms of our Kickstarter venture were thus: If we could hit a certain stretch goal, we would not only record 26 biweekly episodes of Retronauts over the next year, we’d also fill in the interstices between those shows with 26 “mini” episodes. Since we blew past most of our stretch goals in very little time, well, here we are. Our very first mini episode. We’re calling the smaller shows “Retronauts Pocket” to help distinguish them from the standard episodes (credit to Ray for coming up with the name), but don’t worry: They’ll all be on the same feed, and the ID3 tags will help keep the 52 total episodes nice and sequential in your music app of choice.

Retronauts Pocket differs from the standard episode template, somewhat. Or at least that’s my intention. I’ve been interested in exploring the things that influence games, from pinball machines to Star Wars, and so the Pocket episodes I put together (or at least the ones whose topic isn’t determined by a Kickstarter backer) will not be so much about games as about the media and other concepts that influence them.

Since we had a straight-up music expert on hand for this first episode — Chrontendo‘s Dr. Sparkle, whom you may recall from last week’s episode — I decided to talk about rock music’s influence on games. Specifically, progressive rock. What follows is a 45-minute conversation that sometimes touches on games, but is really more about the nature of something that was hugely influential on a lot of key game composers, with plenty of fair-use sound clips to provide context.

Retronauts Pocket Episode 1 (July 8, 2013): Gaming Roots – Progressive Rock

Libsyn (45:00 | MP3 | 36.0 MB) | Soundcloud | YouTube (coming soon)

No word yet on if the podcast has clicky sticks or not.

Curufinwe

Enjoyed the episode, but please tell me that there was a copy of Fatal Frame playing in the background. The creepy background noise was so scary.

It was reminiscent of Himuru Mansion chanting. I really hope one of the episodes they do is on Fatal Frame.

Def Jukie

This episode was clearly just TFrog wanting to talk about prog rock. Not to say that some game creators were not inspired by it but you guys really didn't do a good job tying it back to games. I'm all for trying out different types of topics but I don't think this worked all that well and was a reach at best.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm not really big on podcasts but I have such a man-crush on Dr. Sparkle's voice that I will have to listen.

wrowa

Yeeaaah, didn't really dig the prog rock episode.

Totally agree. I like the idea of observing games from other point of views, but I think in terms of Retronauts the rule of thumb should be: The topic in hand should be related to video games in some form. In the prog rock episode it's never been clear how their talk is actually related to the video game topic. Prog rock is an interesting topic in its own right, but I thought it made a bad topic for this kind of podcast.

Got to admit, I'm not entirely satisfied with either of two new episodes so far. I think the Kickstarter and the tenthousands of dollars they made skewed my perspective a little, but I felt kind of let down that the first episode kinda felt just like a bunch of dudes talking randomly about the rather undefined 83 topic. Normally, random talk is what I love most about podcasts, ironically, but for some reason I expect here something more ... planned and structured, I guess.

Edit: Oh, the new episode is out. Topic: Wario Land.

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=217

If you’re not familiar with the Wario Land series, I completely understand your possible skepticism over this week’s episode topic. But Nintendo’s weird little offshoot platformer series houses some amazingly subversive and impressive ideas, some of which would be stolen wholesale for Mario’s future adventures. In fact, there’s so much to talk about, we unexpectedly went over our planned recording time with barely a mention of Wario Ware! (That’s for another podcast — but no promises.) Our past episodes of Retronauts have done a fine job of covering a most of the major topics, so we’re hoping to both surprise and impress you with the unassuming importance of Wario Land.

http://retronauts.libsyn.com/retronauts-vol-iii-ep-2-wario-land
https://soundcloud.com/retronauts-1/retronauts-vol-iii-episode-2

aett

I thought the prog rock episode was a unique idea that worked out pretty well. I've seen Parish write about prog rock and its connection to video game music on his blog before, so when I heard about the episode subject, I thought it would be a great way to finally HEAR the connections and inspirations. Unfortunately, there were only a couple of brief game tracks played, and only one of those was used as a direct comparison to prog rock music. Still, for a mini-episode, I was satisfied.

I'm surprised at the love for Wario Land 4. I played it recently and I thought it was total junk compared to 2 and 3. I'm still surprised, five years later, at Jeremy's disdain for Shake It because it's pretty much an expanded version of 4.

bigkrev

I really didn't like the Prog Rock episode, but mostly because it was basically a 2 man pod with Parrish and Sparkle. I like the idea of tackling smaller, tangental topics in the off-week episodes, but it sucked that Ray and Bob had actual nothing to contribute to it, except the occasional "uh-huh".

Also, while I understand how scheduling works, I demand more VC bitching!

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
We're still waiting on Apple to sprinkle the podcast with magical faerie dust and let it enter the world of iTunes.

Top Bottom