• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frostbite Technical Director on why Frostbite never came to Wii U

This is what I hear when I read that:

Seriously, the thing is more than capable of running it.

Also, dat last tweet.

It is a step up from the PS3/360, but the hardware is pretty different. It is far more GPU focused for starters. It's part of the reason why the early ports ran very poorly - they were running off mostly off the weaker CPU (Batman, in particular)

I almost think that their tests were basically that. A straight port to test the thing out, and that was it. But surely they couldn't be that dumb.

I'm sure you know more about the engine than the freaking Technical Director that directly worked with the console itself.

I bet it ran fine on Wii U until EA and Nintendo got into a fight.

Translation: "Lazy port wasn't going to run perfectly so we gave up."

It is what it is.

Ok, one of you three has to be that fanboy in that twitter convo.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
To our knowledge the GPU is a straight improvement, the memory is larger but lower bandwidth, and the CPU might be worse.

CPU might be why then. BF3 had a pretty large (for the time) CPU requirement for Frostbite 2 on PC IIRC? Hell, BC2 with Frostbite 1.5 was pretty meaty on the requirements as well.

prag16

Banned
To our knowledge the GPU is a straight improvement, the memory is larger but lower bandwidth, and the CPU might be worse.
Nobody has yet pieced together the full memory bandwidth situation and its ramifications. And not a single dev has complained about that. The CPU is a bit more of a question still, if the system is balanced totally differently than PS360.

Diebuster

So much ether in that last tweet.

Why is the Wii U looking out into the rain? It's stuck inside the house?

edit: Wait, I guess the pad would be reversed if that were the case. But then why is the controller semi-transparent/turning invisible?

I always thought the picture was the Wii U watching everyone else have fun while it sits out in the rain. The system going invisible is because everyone is forgetting it exists.

i-Lo

dat untapped potential.

Nintendo still has Mario and Zelda.

After reading all the talk about "diminishing returns" and "thermal" this and that in the WiiU GPU thread, I wonder PS4 and XB3 will be able to run this mammoth of an engine.

One next gen system out, two more hang in limbo.

Pachinko

Well it's not rocket science, EA brought madden, fifa and mass effect to the wii U on launch day, nintendo promised them an install base of 5 million by the end of march. Since then , need for speed came out as well. Instead of 5 million they sold closer to 3.5 million and it's also may instead of the end of march. In other words, sales were abysmal, Nintendo tried to argue with many publishers that people would buy 3rd party games if 3rd parties would actually release some games and so they did. Now, it's been a few months and well, most wii U owners bought the nintendo land bundle and bought a single game- New super mario wii U. I haven't looked at a sales chart in a while but it would seem to me the best selling game after that is probably Zombie U .... coming full circle all 4 EA games sales put together is bound to be a pathetic number like 100,000. I can imagine it costs a million or so just to port a 360/ps3 game to the wii U and that's simply not worth the trouble if the sales aren't there.

I can see some backroom deals here too, nintendo obviously bartered with ubisoft and told them to just delay rayman until they could get the firmware up to par and hopefully increase the install base substantially. Even made a Zombie U bundle pack . This same offer was not extended to any other developer and I can imagine EA has flat out told them they won't look at the wii U for any games until there are at least 10 million systems out there because it's simply not profitable for them to do so.

StevieP

Banned
I wonder when the myth of "hardware power has nothing to do with third party support" will end. So much evidence but I still see people plug their ears and go "lalalala can't hear you".

It doesn't. PS360 is getting FB3, as it got FB2 (which is a direct predecessor of FB3, which is just a new/updated iteration). The Disney deal, which we don't yet know full details of yet, may require them to port FB3 to Wii U as well ("all interactive platform" requirements - what do they mean? Is it similar to the Tiger Woods license? Etc).

The only one with the fingers in their ears in this regard is you.

Translation: "Lazy port wasn't going to run perfectly so we gave up."

It is what it is.

I don't think you can call the guys with a top 5 graphics engine for their new game, who are providing middleware for half of their company, and who supported their last game with 2 years of post-release content on 3 platforms, "lazy".

They tried running Frostbite 2 on it, apparently it wouldn't run too well.

Which is a bit WTF since the We 2 is nothing but small step-up from PS3/360, isn't it? And those run Frostbite 2 with no major (outside of system freezes) issues.

They probably ran the tests on V1 of the Dev kits and gave up after they knew EA wasn't going to have a strong partnership with Nintendo.

The Dev kits got significant upgrades in power throughout the hardware development process. Later versions were much more powerful than the initial dev kits.

USC-fan

Banned

Which is a bit WTF since the We 2 is nothing but small step-up from PS3/360, isn't it? And those run Frostbite 2 with no major (outside of system freezes) issues.

Thats is debateable. WIIU ram is slower and cpu performance is most likely less. Gpu performance is most likely 160alu so it puts it performance a little above the ps360. But the wiiu also has 2 screens.

Now I bet they could make it work if they spent a lot of time to cut things out of the game but what is the point if they dont sell. Then you have next gen systems that will have 6x-8x the power of these systems. Not worth the time for little return.

It has nothing to do with some pissing contest with EA over online or whatever tinfoil hat theory people come up with....

EA is trying to cut cost to make investors happy. No reason to put out games that are just going to lose money. Its just that simple....

dat untapped potential.

After reading all the talk about "diminishing returns" and "thermal" this and that in the WiiU GPU thread, I wonder PS4 and XB3 will be able to run this mammoth of an engine.

Going into that thread is not good for your health.... lol

If EA are being called out then perhaps the likes of Bethesda, Square Enix, Capcom, Konami and Rockstar should be too.

The Wii U has sparse third party support, some blame should be directed towards Nintendo also. Think about it, the longest generation yet and then you have a platform that is hardly a stern step up from the two from that ridiculously long generation who are now about to release successors that are a stern up.

I don't blame DICE at all to be honest

B.O.O.M

Nintendo and EA fighting remind me of little kids fighting.

EA: "We want you to do everything I say!"
Nintendo: "But you want us to make Origin our main platform for Wii U, we can't do that, sorry.
EA: "WHAT!!!???"
Nintendo: "You heard us"
EA: "Our partnership is over! We won't give your stupid Wii U anything!"
and so on...

How does ANYTHING in the OP gives you the idea that they are fighting exactly?

Seriously you guys need to get out of denialville. Some third party support will be lost mainly due to technical limitations. That's just the reality

From this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55847448&highlight=#post55847448

I knew this answer was coming. The hardware is one of the factors, there are others of course. But you can't expect DICE to ignore a close 140 million console sales when they already have the tech and toolset stablished for those platforms. Realitiy is, DICE didn't even bother to do any significant R&D on the Wii U, even before release, due to hardware specs. Just check out the laugh answer about the Wii U situation in that Battlefield 4 Q&A.

Same reason Epic is not porting UE4 to the console, so it will miss out games that only run on that engine. Or Crytek for that matter. You know the guys that before any publically known specs where pushing for the 8 GB for next gen will be nice.

1 reply among many in the same vein:

First it's specs, now it's fanbase (oh, and specs). The reality is that specs aren't the issue and that much should be clear. It's for other factors

Demon Ice

Banned
MutedPenguin is too busy being an edgy cool kid to realize the WiiU has a shitty CPU. DICE isn't the only dev that's complained about it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It doesn't. PS360 is getting FB3, as it got FB2 (which is a direct predecessor of FB3, which is just a new/updated iteration). The Disney deal, which we don't yet know full details of yet, may require them to port FB3 to Wii U as well ("all interactive platform" requirements - what do they mean? Is it similar to the Tiger Woods license? Etc).

The only one with the fingers in their ears in this regard is you.

Given their hash tag is #nextgenstarwars I don't think they even intend to put out 360/PS3 games.

Tiger Woods also hasn't been on the Wii in a while, and Madden is skipping the Wii U, so I'm not sure they have any contracts that require them to support specific platforms.

Disney's not even making Square Enix put Kingdom Hearts latest entry on anything but PS3, and they're letting Sega skip both the Wii and Wii U with the latest Mickey Mouse title, so I'm not sure there's any sign they care.

nekomix

Interesting. Bad for the Wii U, obviously. Let's see how it finishes down the line, if it was technical reasons or EA's successful decisions.

Meelow

Banned
How does ANYTHING in the OP gives you the idea that they are fighting exactly?

Seriously you guys need to get out of denialville. Some third party support will be lost mainly due to technical limitations. That's just the reality

There isn't any EA game confirmed for Wii U this year, after Nintendo and EA confirmed a partnership at E3 2011 to give big support.

I really don't believe this has anything to do with the Wii U hardware, especially since than this would mean Frostbite will have problems running on PS4/720.

AzaK

Nah, this thread is now about how Wii U owners know more about the Frostbite 3 engine than DICE.

Not really. However Wii U tech nerds might know more about the modern Wii U architecture than DICE. Who knows what version of the kit they had. It's gone through tonnes of improvements.

Anyway, I don't believe for a second Wii U couldn't run it in some form and hence the games come to the system. The last tweet was spot on.

Bsigg12

It would require a huge rewrite on the engine to better suit the Wii u's architecture. Frostbite 3 will run on the PS3 and 360 because they already did all the leg work of laying down a base frame that works around the architecture of those two systems with Frostbite 1/2. With the Durango and PS4, they'll be more in line with a PC so they won't be too hard to tap into depending on SDKs.

Demon Ice

Banned
Don't get why people are applauding that last tweet, comes across as the bitter tears of a fanboy that got suckered into buying a WiiU.

Effect

Nah, this thread is now about how Wii U owners know more about the Frostbite 3 engine than DICE.

Nah. I see it as Wii U owners and possibly Nintendo platform owners in general know a BS excuse when they see and read one. Plenty were given out when it came to the Wii. I still remember Infinity Ward having said Call of Duty Modern Warfare simply wasn't possible on the Wii only for Treyarch to prove them to be outright liars not only with their own games but also IW's games as well. I have a hard time accepting comments like this when I see what is currently capable on the system. Say you don't want to spend the money but don't lie to me and say the hardware is incapable.

Sean

Banned
Even if DICE could have optimized further and gotten Frostbite running acceptably on Wii U, would it be worth all the effort? I don't think so.

Spongebob

Banned
Not really. However Wii U tech nerds might know more about the modern Wii U architecture than DICE. Who knows what version of the kit they had. It's gone through tonnes of improvements.

Anyway, I don't believe for a second Wii U couldn't run it in some form and hence the games come to the system. The last tweet was spot on.
No chance.

B.O.O.M

There isn't any EA game confirmed for Wii U this year, after Nintendo and EA confirmed a partnership at E3 2011 to give big support.

I really don't believe this has anything to do with the Wii U hardware, especially since than this would mean Frostbite will have problems running on PS4/720.

This year we already had NFS MW for the Wii U. So that part is wrong.

Why is it so hard to believe? And how does that exactly point to the engine having problems on the ps4/720? Please, explain it to me because I find this thought process baffling

Effect

Why is it so hard to believe? And how does that exactly point to the engine having problems on the ps4/720? Please, explain it to me because I find this thought process baffling

Need for Speed was originally set to come out last year at launch. It was held back. That game should not count for this year.

dat untapped potential.

This is my favorite poem about videogames ever.

Star Wars games have a history of selling extremely well on Nintendo systems. If they skip Nintendo all together I'd be surprised as that's a lot of money being left on the table. In fact, I'd be shocked if Disney didn't specify what systems the games have to appear on, and even more in awe if they're OK with them skipping Nintendo.

gngf123

I'm sure you know more about the engine than the freaking Technical Director that directly worked with the console itself.

Basically nothing I have said involves the engine - it is a simple comparison of hardware. Note that they weren't even impressed with how the thing handled F2. This is really fucking hard to believe, with the Wii U being more powerful than the 360 or PS3, just more GPU oriented.

The engine is CPU heavy though. Which is why I said that if they did a straight port to test it out, they absolutely wouldn't be impressed with it. Again, no big assumptions needed.

So if he had written a more elaborate tweet saying:
It wasn't worth the money, time and human resources to cut-down and/or modify the engine so that it would run smoothly, if at all, on a platform upon which we don't expect sales to recoup the cost.

Everyone would stop being so salty?

Then why is PS360 level hardware getting a FB3 game?
They already have FB2 running on the platforms; Nirolak says FB3 is essentially an upgrade of that engine. They have a combined 150M installed base. And a proven audience for the titles that DICE makes.

Meelow

Banned

Yeah, NFSMWU came out on Wii U...But according to someone on GAF it was delayed to 2013 because EA wanted to see if anyone would double dip, it was a great port but that's the only game.

What I meant was there is no more confirmed games coming to Wii U this year that's from EA.

And I'm not going to try to pass my self as someone that knows a lot about tech, because I really don't.

But IF this engine is really CPU focused like some people are saying while the PS4/720 are also GPU focused like Wii U, wouldn't that mean Frostbite will have problems on PS4/720?

Top Bottom