• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahk

Apparently Jeff Goldblum was handing out free hot dogs near the office today at lunch and I completely missed it
Damn. Could have bragged about it to Idle Thumbs that you got a Chef Goldblum's hot dog.

"This is all about, look we have Chef Goldblum's food truck. It's a secret, I can't say. What do you think it's about?" Goldblum said.
Classic Goldblum.

So I got cutover to the NBN today. My download speed is now 20 Mbps slower than it was yesterday. Go Australia!

David_Pope_Bridge_To_The_21st_Century.jpg

Supposedly the NBN will hit my suburb in May. They've installed the nodes but they haven't installed the individual house boxes yet as far as I can tell, at least in my street. At least I'm on a separate system that the NBN isn't going to effect, yet.

David_Pope_Bridge_To_The_21st_Century.jpg

Supposedly the NBN will hit my suburb in May. They've installed the nodes but they haven't installed the individual house boxes yet as far as I can tell, at least in my street. At least I'm on a separate system that the NBN isn't going to effect, yet.
I was previously on Telstra cable, syncing at 110 Mbps down (dropped to about 70 in peak).

I'm now on HFC NBN, syncing at 90 Mbps down, and last night it dropped to 27 in peak.

Upload speed is massively higher, but I don't upload anything so that's irrelevant to me.

The other sucky thing is that because I now have my home phone line through the HFC NBN, I'm forced to use the absolute piece of shit Telstra provided router. I can't even bridge it or I lose my home phone. The Telstra router only has two Ethernet ports, and they're 100 Mbps Ethernet, not even gigabit lol. My laptop came with a gigabit Ethernet port seventeen frigging years ago!

bomer

Anyone know what time the Switch Nintendo store games go live? I want to buy Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Kart tomorrow too.

Recreat3

Anyone know what time the Switch Nintendo store games go live? I want to buy Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Kart tomorrow too.

Ill probably gst mk8 digital for convenience aswell so hopefully it is available at midnight. Would be nice to get a physical version so botw isnt the only switch case in my cupboard.

I was previously on Telstra cable, syncing at 110 Mbps down (dropped to about 70 in peak).

I'm now on HFC NBN, syncing at 90 Mbps down, and last night it dropped to 27 in peak.

Upload speed is massively higher, but I don't upload anything so that's irrelevant to me.

The other sucky thing is that because I now have my home phone line through the HFC NBN, I'm forced to use the absolute piece of shit Telstra provided router. I can't even bridge it or I lose my home phone. The Telstra router only has two Ethernet ports, and they're 100 Mbps Ethernet, not even gigabit lol. My laptop came with a gigabit Ethernet port seventeen frigging years ago!

I get about 46/7 on iiNet/TPG/Transacts Fibre-to-the-node but it's seemingly unaffected by congestion and now that TPG/iiNet have finally fixed their local steam server, I'm maxing out.

The wireless router iiNet gave me is a little crap, I think if you put a sheet over it it would go dark. So my computer is wired and I have a series of wifi-extenders and a powerline for the main TV.

I just walked out of Big W with a Switch, a pro controller and a copy of Zelda. It was more reasonably priced than I had feared.

SD cards are still a rort though. $1 per GB and the biggest card available is 64GB? I keep hearing about these wonderful 256GB cards on the web, but I was an idiot and didn't plan ahead.

Does Player Unknown's Battleground have a good player base in Oceania servers? I wanna get it but I'm worried it won't be full games like in America.

sorry cant help with that.

glad everyone had a good Anzac day ( going by the posts from days ago)

and Lol VKS dont go near dating Gaf with that last picture you posted you never know what may happen !

was clearing some shelves in the garage and noticed there's still an old portavision laying there its probably spent most of its time in a Box unscratched if i recall

tempted to throw it straight in to the Bin but thought i might ask on here first im not in to reselling things really and its something only an enthusiast would want( given it would need a set top box bigger than the unit itself) and there's a real lack of ebay listings not that iv really ever dabbled in such listings.

and Lol VKS dont go near dating Gaf with that last picture you posted you never know what may happen !
They into older gents in that thread are they?

Don't get too excited about femVKS. It looks like the app takes your features and tries to guess what you'd look like as the opposite gender. Thing is, it seems to have learned what faces look like based on celebrity pictures on Google Images, so it always seems to give you flawless skin and in the case of women, perfect makeup. Basically it makes just about every guy into an attractive woman.

That's not what femVKS would look like. It's what she'd look like after getting up early to do her hair and apply her warpaint.

hirokazu

Is there a list of AusGAF Switch Friend Codes somewhere? It's amazing that I can play full fat Mario Kart online on the train, and at least for now, completely free.

mandiller

Is there a list of AusGAF Switch Friend Codes somewhere? It's amazing that I can play full fat Mario Kart online on the train, and at least for now, completely free.

I don't know, but I'd like to get in on that action. My friend code is: SW-5651-7981-1023

Quasar

American Gods 1 - Well that was a bit disappointing. I pretty much bounced off it. I bounced off the book too, but I hoped a TV version would be more to my liking. Will give another episode or two, maybe it will grow on me.

Saw guardians of the galaxy vol 2 last night was good fun.

First time I saw the first one I didn't really like it, but after seeing it in the cinema (for the first time) a couple weeks ago my mind changed. Guardians is probably the only superhero franchise I genuinely like

American Gods 1 - Well that was a bit disappointing. I pretty much bounced off it. I bounced off the book too, but I hoped a TV version would be more to my liking. Will give another episode or two, maybe it will grow on me.

I enjoyed it but I can understand people who haven't read the book or know anything about the world of the show being completely confused.

Stackboy

I'll jump on amazon video when they get a console app. Do they offer much content at the moment?

Looking forward to Strafe next week. 90s shooter roguelike!!

Quasar

I'll jump on amazon video when they get a console app. Do they offer much content at the moment?

Looking forward to Strafe next week. 90s shooter roguelike!!

A handful of exclusive shows.

There's console apps already. I know I have a PS4 one and one for my Shield. I assume the xbone one is also available.

I managed to work around that on Fibre NBN, the following might work for HFC NBN as well?

Connect your network like this:
Fibre -> Internet port on your router
Internet port on Telstra modem/router -> network port on your router

That will let you make outbound calls, but not receive calls. The trick to receive calls is to forward ports 5060-5070 and 10000-20000 to the Telstra modem/router. Also give the Telstra modem/router a static IP on your router. Disable Wifi on the Telstra modem while you're at it.

Without the correct port forwards you can receive calls if you make an outbound call first, but that only works for a short period before inbound calls fail again, so make sure you wait a bit and repeat your tests to make sure everything's fine. And make sure you test receiving a call without picking up a handset or making an outbound call beforehand.

I managed to work around that on Fibre NBN, the following might work for HFC NBN as well?

Connect your network like this:
Fibre -> Internet port on your router
Internet port on Telstra modem/router -> network port on your router

That will let you make outbound calls, but not receive calls. The trick to receive calls is to forward ports 5060-5070 and 10000-20000 to the Telstra modem/router. Also give the Telstra modem/router a static IP on your router. Disable Wifi on the Telstra modem while you're at it.

Without the correct port forwards you can receive calls if you make an outbound call first, but that only works for a short period before inbound calls fail again, so make sure you wait a bit and repeat your tests to make sure everything's fine. And make sure you test receiving a call without picking up a handset or making an outbound call beforehand.
Cheers! I'll give it a go. People at whirlpool seemed adamant it wouldn't work, but that's not always the best gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom