• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: you can now buy games via Nintendo.com, have them sent to your console

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
we all know what he wants to say.

Nintendo, give us the possibility to re-download our stuff like on a Vita or PS4 (or App-Stores).

But I hope that is a step in this direction.
But you can redownload your stuff since when havent you?

And posts like this are nothing but blatantly trying to avoid issues, by acting silly over semantics, as if it wasn't crystal clear what people mean when they say that.

It may not in fact be crystal clear what people mean when they say that to a company that is already heavily insular culturally and that based on its failed efforts to embrace digital seems to be operating under the assumption that people everywhere are really reluctant to manage content digitally (CDs are apparently still more popular than digital music in Japan) even if it's more convenient.

If you keep asking for the same thing they apparently think they already gave you, why would you expect different results?

stuminus3

Banned
What does the N3DS have to do with it? It was probably never going to get fixed until the launch of the Wii U successor anyway
Because at this point the only real chance of change is going to come with a successor, which isn't going to come so long as the N3DS is extending the lifespan of the 3DS line.

Allforce

Knowing Nintendo the download code they send you is somehow tied to your NNID and can't be used by anyone else.

Refyref

I'm guessing that when the web eShop itself launches, you'll be able to use your credit via a browser.
I wonder if the codes are for all NA accounts, or locked to US or Canada depending on the type of card you use to buy? Because if it isn't, you could probably get the games that aren't on the Canadian eShop via this, once they offer third-party games.

ohlawd

Agreed. Had the setup allowed for pre-ordering & automatic download once midnight/digital release happened, it would be a much better feature.

nah, we can do better than that

preload, preload, preload

lemme download the game a few days before the game comes out. but yeah your suggestion is still much better than what we have right now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Here's the part about gifting

Can I give a game to someone else?

Yes. Once you complete your purchase, we'll send you an email confirmation with a download code for the game. (For pre-orders, we'll send you the download code on the day the game is released.) The download code can only be used once, but anyone can redeem it. If the game is a gift for someone else, provide them with the download code so that they can redeem the game on their system.

bryehn

It should be noted that nothing in that FAQ suggests that games are "being sent to your console" like PS3/4, Xbox, Andoid, iOS, etc. All I'm seeing is that you have to redeem the code it emails you, you know...manually on your console. This "service" is utterly pointless for me.

CDX

So this seems to be good for sending download codes as gifts. I missed the gifting feature from the Wii.

Also if an -already released- game is on sale you could purchase it on the web and send it to your Wii U / 3DS.

But pre-ordering seems kind of crappy...they'll email you a code within a few hours on release day. I'd want pre-buying AND downloading the game before release, so you can play it right at midnight the day of release.

Krejlooc

Banned
But you can redownload your stuff since when havent you?

I bought a 3DS at launch. The hinge wound up snapping in half. I eventually threw the thing away, and a couple of years later, I bought a new 3DS. Still remember all my login info for my NNID from my launch 3DS... can't get any of my old games. Everything I had digitally purchased from my original 3DS is forever gone. I need the serial number for the old system, which is now in some garbage dump, to redownload those games.

Ok, whatever, you say. I should have had it fixed or some other dumb bullshit. Since I didn't have it fixed, for whatever warped logic, I should be forced to repurchase my games. I've actually done that with Mario 3D Land - went out and rebought it (physically this time!)

OH but wait, yeah, those ambassador games? Can't access those ever again. Despite me legally owning them.

...yeah.

patientx

Was excited for a moment here, but unfortunately still can't use my international visa card... I'll keep using bought download codes from gaffers I guess :)

surely proper accounts with purchases tied to them are on the way? this seems like something they'd develop as they were developing that?

Nintendo are so annoyingly random, their like a child with random spurts of growth

L~A

I'm guessing that when the web eShop itself launches, you'll be able to use your credit via a browser.
I wonder if the codes are for all NA accounts, or locked to US or Canada depending on the type of card you use to buy? Because if it isn't, you could probably get the games that aren't on the Canadian eShop via this, once they offer third-party games.

If the game isn't availalbe on the Canadian eShop, then the DL code won't work out. Not because it's region-locked, but because the code will be void.

After all, if you get a coupon to get a free Mercedes M70 (imaginary car), but go to a store which doesn't have the M70... well, you can't have your car.

I've had the same problem with Layton 5 in another language than French :p

wiibomb

You sir, should be using the Canadian eShop. It allows international cards.

yeah I've know that method for years but considering that everything else in my accounts is based on US (including my CN account) I cannot go back (and would rather not since it would make trouble to my US CN account)

Isotope

It should be noted that nothing in that FAQ suggests that games are "being sent to your console" like PS3/4, Xbox, Andoid, iOS, etc. All I'm seeing is that you have to redeem the code it emails you, you know...manually on your console. This "service" is utterly pointless for me.

There's the option of what Nate said above, or getting the DL code at midnight (or whenever) and redeeming it here. It does work, even if the site is pretty much barebones right now.

Of course, if the site just says "game will auto-download and install at midnight" (Or something to like that), then we'd be good.

rpmurphy

People have said that the game gets pushed to your system via SpotPass (if you have that enabled on your devices). Preorders are download codes only it seems at the moment, but hopefully they can get that working later, since it shouldn't be difficult to add it.

CDX

I bought a 3DS at launch. The hinge wound up snapping in half. I eventually threw the thing away, and a couple of years later, I bought a new 3DS. Still remember all my login info for my NNID from my launch 3DS... can't get any of my old games. Everything I had digitally purchased from my original 3DS is forever gone. I need the serial number for the old system, which is now in some garbage dump, to redownload those games.

NNID didn't exist years ago on the 3DS

At launch 3DS games were still basically tied to the 3DS console, not a NNID.

Eusis

You guys are the worst (well okay Lex gets it I guess). We all know what the original poster meant and arguing semantics isn't going to make Nintendo's ass backwards relic of an "account system" suddenly fall in line with every single one of the digital services it competes with.
Well, it's worth clarifying it's tied to an account but de facto tied to a console because it means that there IS a route to getting it on another system... if Nintendo would just quit dicking around on that front anyway and implement a proper ownership transfer system that doesn't involve having both systems talking to each other.

Yes. Once you complete your purchase, we'll send you an email confirmation with a download code for the game. (For pre-orders, we'll send you the download code on the day the game is released.) The download code can only be used once, but anyone can redeem it. If the game is a gift for someone else, provide them with the download code so that they can redeem the game on their system.
FINALLY.

Brashnir

There is an account system. Accounts can even be moved to another console. Its just not possible withoiut calling customer service. Posts like this do nothing but show ignorance.

Sorry, I meant, "Still no functional account system." If I have to call customer service to handle basic user functionality, the system is broken.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, what we know so far

Buying digital SKUs of games already released: they can be sent directly to Wii U / 3DS
Pre-ordering digital SKUs of upcoming games: you receive a code within few hours after the release and you have to redeem it
Gifting: everyone can redeem a code someone else bought

@L-A: Since the web eShop recognised NNIDs of people outside US (complete with Italian / French messages), I suppose the service could launch first in US, and then elsewhere.

Also, a PR / Direct / DiPRect / Whatever must be coming soon. I mean, the first title using the preorder function (Fantasy Life) is coming on October 24th, 10 days from now.

Bytes

What I want to know is why it will possibly take up to a few hours after release to get your download code. Is someone at Nintendo sitting there and manually entering your information into the eShop by hand when the game gets released?

Krejlooc

Banned
Person A: "This doesn't have any nuts in it, does it? I'm allergic to nuts."

Person B: "Nope, feel free to eat away!"

*Person A's throat swells shut*

Person B: "Technically Peanuts are legumes."

What every "herp derp games are tied to an account" argument reads like to me.

Alec

Pre-ordered Smash. Gonna see how their process works come Nov 21st.

If I could pre-order Pokemon and Bayo 2, I'd be all over it.

What? That's not true. I remember specifically watching the Giantbomb Wii U launch coverage and accounts were definitely tied to the console then. Has that changed?

Yes. Accounts have always been tied to the console. The post I was responding to is about purchases tied to the NNID, which has always been the case

Wrong. You CAN have it auto-download.

Do you want to redeem the game with the download code or with your Nintendo Network ID?
Download Code • Nintendo Network ID

Click the blue "Redeem Now" button in your confirmation email or checkout screen.
Enter the Nintendo Network ID and password into the appropriate fields and click "Sign In."
Click "Redeem" to send the game to the Wii U that is associated to your Nintendo Network ID.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8595/p/431

Gustaf89

Banned
What? That's not true. I remember specifically watching the Giantbomb Wii U launch coverage and accounts were definitely tied to the console then. Has that changed?

i have been lurking on gaf for some time, and everytime this topic came out, the need to to comment was to big to bear.

yeah, you still need to call to nintendo if you wii u brokes or get stolen, BUT BUT, you can unlink your NINID from the wii u, then you wait 24 hours to the servers to update, then you can dowload your NINID on any Wii U you want, i know is not as good as xbox or playstation, but the people still think that you need to call nintendo, and that's just a lie.

DizzyCrow

sanstitre101ffj.png

yeah I've know that method for years but considering that everything else in my accounts is based on US (including my CN account) I cannot go back (and would rather not since it would make trouble to my US CN account)

I have a US CN account. It makes no difference whatsoever. Then again, I don't bother with physical rewards.

Brashnir

i have been lurking on gaf for some time, and everytime this topic came out, the need to to comment was to big to bear.

yeah, you still need to call to nintendo if you wii u brokes or get stolen, BUT BUT, you can unlink your NINID from the wii u, then you wait 24 hours to the servers to update, then you can dowload your NINID on any Wii U you want, i know is not as good as xbox or playstation, but the people still think that you need to call nintendo, and that's just a lie.

That's still not good enough. All I should need is my login and password to get access to my stuff, like with every other device I own. There shouldn't be a 24-hour waiting period. There shouldn't be a need to deactivate. I shouldn't need to download anything except the content itself.

The system.

Is.

Broken.

ahm998

atbigelow

Seems:

-Purchasing released games will give you a "Redeem Now" link to send the game to your device.
-Preordering games have no such option.

Hopefully this evolves soon where you can preorder with a preload or automatic download.

lyrick

So Nintendo has a way for me to now purchase games for their platforms from work and even start the Download to the platform from a website (that's still in progress) and a seemingly large portion of GAF decides that they want to shit up the thread with Driveby NNID Account arguments...

Thanks Shitpost GAF, we were all wondering about your thoughts on Nintendos Account System.

Krejlooc

Banned

This is the topic you got that from:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778271&page=4

When users tried to independently verify this, they couldn't do it. Eventually, the person who made the claim came back and posted:

Didn't work even today, evidently it was a mistake from australian Support

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Ok, whatever, you say. I should have had it fixed or some other dumb bullshit. Since I didn't have it fixed, for whatever warped logic, I should be forced to repurchase my games. I've actually done that with Mario 3D Land - went out and rebought it (physically this time!)

OH but wait, yeah, those ambassador games? Can't access those ever again. Despite me legally owning them.

...yeah.
Are you lying to me? NNID didnt exist on 3DS in 2010

Banned
I tried preordering smash digital code and got an error. Download code isn't available. I think their system isn't 100% functional yet.

Bytes

That's still not good enough. All I should need is my login and password to get access to my stuff, like with every other device I own. There shouldn't be a 24-hour waiting period. There shouldn't be a need to deactivate. I shouldn't need to download anything except the content itself.

The system.

Is.

Broken.

But the fact of the matter is that there is an account system and games are tied to your account, two things which some people still want to try and debate.

We can argue over the shortcomings of the current account system, but there is indeed an account system.

Krejlooc

Banned
Are you lying to me? NNID didnt exist on 3DS in 2010

Whatever the fuck their account thing was that I had. I had a username and a password and all that shit. Apparently that's not an account or some other pedantic bullshit.

The point is, I don't have my games anymore.

Brashnir

But the fact of the matter is that there is an account system and games are tied to your account, two things which some people still want to try and debate.

We can argue over the shortcomings of the current account system, but there is indeed an account system.

Thank you, captain pedantic.

Top Bottom