• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

Hasney

I am ready for all the Jones hype about Red Dead next Thursday! fuck I'm excited!!

(too bad Trailer Jones is gone ;-; )

edit: wait okay I just noticed there's still a $2 patreon tier for Trailer Jones suggestions even though Trailer Jones is gone? huh

Didnt Trailer Jones get private sponsorship? Dunno if it was just that month or what.

arkon

Maybe they could release two versions of TTE. The raw minimally edited version we currently have and then another that's cut down to 10-20 minutes per episode.

abrack08

I really don't get the complaints about the DnD length... Critical Role is at 111 episodes per their wiki, and they're 3-4 hours a piece. The Adventure Zone just concluded the main story (at least that's what I gather based on Griffin's twitter) around episode 70, and most of those episodes are around an hour and a half. This just seems to be the format for DnD shows, it's what the huge successful ones do, I don't think that's a flaw. It might not be for everyone but I don't think that means it needs to change to significantly shorter campaigns.

Didnt Trailer Jones get private sponsorship? Dunno if it was just that month or what.

Yeah it was Hoeg law. I know lawyers make the big bucks but I doubt he was gonna front the ~$5k we're below the tier for for this month, lol.

Hasney

Probsbly within a certain bound only. Total pledges have fallen a fair bit below that high watermark in the months since.

Yeah it was Hoeg law. I know lawyers make the big bucks but I doubt he was gonna front the ~$5k we're below the tier for for this month, lol.

True, but if private money covers the costs, then as it's directly funded, tiers probably wouldn't matter so much.

I guess we'll see come Thursday anyway (unless someone asks before then) since they would of course do one for RDR2.

abrack08

True, but if private money covers the costs, then as it's directly funded, tiers probably wouldn't matter so much.

I guess we'll see come Thursday anyway (unless someone asks before then) since they would of course do one for RDR2.

It's supposed to be a weekly show, and the last one uploaded to the YouTube channel was on July 28th, I think it's conclusively done til we get back to the 45k goal.

Edit: I previously added that I thought they even hid the old patreon posts since they didn't come up when I searched but I found them under the $2 tag

I really don't get the complaints about the DnD length... Critical Role is at 111 episodes per their wiki, and they're 3-4 hours a piece. The Adventure Zone just concluded the main story (at least that's what I gather based on Griffin's twitter) around episode 70, and most of those episodes are around an hour and a half. This just seems to be the format for DnD shows, it's what the huge successful ones do, I don't think that's a flaw. It might not be for everyone but I don't think that means it needs to change to significantly shorter campaigns.

Here's the issue with that length though:

The most recent arc in TTE feels incredibly rushed. It's like a race to the final boss. Even if you like long campaigns (and I do), the length here was not the asset it should've been.

And if there is going to be that sort of rush when it's time to wind the campaign down, then perhaps aiming for a shorter story from the start is a better bet.

And who knows, it might make managing some of the story and battle bits for Ben easier when they film the show, given what I'm sure must be a lot to remember and manage.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Hey allies how does everyone(that's interested in the following 2 games) deal with the fact that ni no kuni 2 and mhw release 1 week apart.(cause I just realized this).

Bahorel

Hey allies how does everyone(that's interested in the following 2 games) deal with the fact that ni no kuni 2 and mhw release 1 week apart.(cause I just realized this).

Interested in both but definitely choosing nnk2. Never played a monster hunter before but just recently played nnk1 and loved it to pieces so I know I want to get back into that world asap

ShaithEatery

Neo Member
Just throwing this out there for those who bring up youtube view count as a reason why something may or may not be doing well, keep in mind that for the longer-form content including TTE, Frame Trap, Podcast etc. the RSS feed plays a part in this. I just recently switched over from having youtube playing during my work commutes (unlimited data, don't worry lol) to using a podcast app to consume this content. I'm sure there's many others that don't goto youtube for this stuff anymore, so don't put so much stock into youtube view counts.

As for the TTE length talk, imo it's pretty much as good as it can be. Make it longer and more people will complain about having to consume so much at once, make it shorter and it would feel like they have to make too many cuts during important scenes (especially combat, that can already span several episodes as it is). In the end, no episode length is going to please everybody, and I'd personally rather not see them have to take the time to edit important parts into a video that alters the vibe during the game.

I primarily play on PC and the PC version of Monster Hunter World comes out after the PS4/XB1 release so I don't have to worry about choosing and will be picking up NNK2. If the PC version was day and date with the other versions......yeah....I would have some hard choices that month :/

UrbanRats

Games dont expire like milk, it's ok to not play them on D1, but MH being online, means it'll gain the most from the fresh userbase.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't know if this is a statement to viewers to skip battles or the Allies. 'Cause if the Allies skip, that's basically just another Fiasco.

It wasn't a completely serious comment, obviously DnD will always have battles. Although battles are always the most dull part of any story to me.

Hasney

I think some of the plans and solutions they've had to combat have been so fun. We're clearly just missing the OP grease.

I suppose the only complaint I've had about TTE in it's entirity (bar technical issues early on) is that Kyle's second character hasn't been interesting. He kind of made it up on the spot though and isn't going to get time this arc to evolve, so I can't blame him.

Hexagon!

Pretty excited for Kyle's stream tonight. Mega Man Command Mission is a game I've only rented once, but have thought about a good deal since then. Can't wait to revisit it.

dickroach

re: the last L&R question on the podcast.
on today (yesterday?)'s Pachtor Factor, he made a point that even if Microsoft looks like it's not doing so hot, their gaming division is still a "multi-billion dollar business" because of stuff like XBox Live. I thought that was interesting

also LOL at those bets. Steamworld Dig 2 on Switch is like 220 MB

Fou-Lu

Holy shit, Kyle is playing Command Mission? Is it going to be a full playthrough or a one time thing? I love that game so much despite its flaws. The best transition to RPG outside of Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario.

re: the last L&R question on the podcast.
on today (yesterday?)'s Pachtor Factor, he made a point that even if Microsoft looks like it's not doing so hot, their gaming division is still a "multi-billion dollar business" because of stuff like XBox Live. I thought that was interesting

Oh, yeah.Those file size guesses were hilarious. As for that L&R, gaming includes Minecraft as well, and I think Damiani's point about trying to retain executive talent was spot on. We know too little about what is happening internally at Microsoft to assume his new position is good for Xbox. It's good for Spencer and that's all we can really say for sure.

My impression was that Hoeg Law basically "topped up" the Patreon amount in order to hit the goal. So if it was at $44.8k, he'd add another $200 to hit it. But once the Patreon dropped way too low, it wasn't even an option.

TBH, if it were to come back, I think I'd prefer it if they went with a format more similar to the E3 episode. Watching a single trailer over and over and over again while they talk over it in crackly Skype voices is kinda dull. Do it once a month, cover 4 trailers and have them all on camera.

Oh and get rid of the scores. I always thought that part was pointless, it would've been better off with just a simple thumbs up, middle or down from each of them.

I'd take a new Dino Crisis, over a new Onimusha.

Yeah, I loved Onimusha but I don't really need a new one. Just give me remasters of the trilogy (while acting like Dawn of Dreams never happened) and I'd be more than fine.

Servbot24

Banned
Holy shit, Kyle is playing Command Mission? Is it going to be a full playthrough or a one time thing? I love that game so much despite its flaws. The best transition to RPG outside of Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario.

Woah, seriously??? I am all in for that!

Command Mission before release is the most hyped I have ever been for a video game in my life. I remember purchasing it from the store and actually trembling.

The thing is I had no idea what turn-based games were. I saw screenshots of it in a magazine and assumed it was going to be Legends style gameplay set in the X universe. It was the ultimate video game concept to me at the time (and still sounds absolutely bonkers amazing)

I also remember the first time the screen froze and went into a battle mode. I was so confused. I thought I had accidentally hit a glitch or hit some weird secret by mistake.

Then it kept happening and it slowly dawned on me that the game was not what I had thought it was going to be. I was devastated.

Turned out to be a pretty enjoyable game in the end though!

Zeroro

Watching the Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! Quick Look from Giant Bomb and thinking about how fun it would be for a group stream night because of how frenetic it is. They should give it a look when it comes out on consoles.

Always thought I was alone in wanting a Gundam/mech games with on foot action,
nice to see the Allies seem to agree.

Other than the fuel system it is what made Battle Operation 1 my favorite Gundam game.
Never get that sense of scale like you do when trying to fight a Gundam on foot with RPGs, in small classic tanks or jumping onto allied Gundam and trying to repair them.

OPL0u.jpg
2274374-25_1_.jpg
vKBzy.jpg

NtLAD.jpg
j6nSA.jpg
QwusV.jpg

oAZ00.jpg
ool6J.jpg
edZRu.jpg

Hah yea I was shaking my head at that point. The first ones were small file sizes and they get done mentioning the vita version as well and then start throwing out huge file sizes. I laughed and wondered what exactly do they think is in that game to take up so much space

sora87

I'm interested in both after that mhw tgs trailer, but i've not got much experience with monster hunter games and ni no kuni was one of my favorite games of the last gen so i'll be picking up nnk2 first for sure.

abrack08

Not super interested in MonHun, so NNK for me definitely. This did remind me that Horizon came out like 3 days before Zelda... What a crazy year. Horizon would have been a day 1 purchase almost any other year but it had to wait a few months for me to finish Zelda, then Nier, then Persona.

Roussow

Maybe it's just because I had wrong expectations going in, but I expected the trailer series to be closer to the old Trailer Academy show, it had a really strong format, although that's super tightly scripted and edited content (would be a massive time ivestment for Jones), and there's no conflict of opinion there with a one person show. Even a more looser format, like the IGN Rewind Theatre series might work better, going more frame-by-frame, highlighting specific elements of a trailer as they go. Mostly just for presentations sake compared to a looping trailer, obviously it would be a more critical, analytical take though.
I'd fucking take anything though, I adore trailer critique.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Haha a lot of good answers. Most of you know your priorities. Hope that PC/PS4 will have crossplay would be neat.
Buy both & cry for my backlog.
Pretty much me as well. A friend suggested to me do Ni no Kuni by day and MHW by night. When I asked backed where does school and sleep fit in he answered: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the point that was made that MHW being a multiplayer leaning game and launch always being the most people being in on that I'll likely going to focus on that.
That said I will likely try to get as much nnk squeezed in until then.

Hasney

Maybe it's just because I had wrong expectations going in, but I expected the trailer series to be closer to the old Trailer Academy show, it had a really strong format, although that's super tightly scripted and edited content (would be a massive time ivestment for Jones), and there's no conflict of opinion there with a one person show. Even a more looser format, like the IGN Rewind Theatre series might work better, going more frame-by-frame, highlighting specific elements of a trailer as they go. Mostly just for presentations sake compared to a looping trailer, obviously it would be a more critical, analytical take though.
I'd fucking take anything though, I adore trailer critique.

Yeah, it was always pitched as the EZA version of Let's All Go To The Trailers later version (I much preferred the old format, but that takes more time).

By not buying either of them. :p

Seriously though, MH World looks awesome but I don't think I'll get it at launch and the first Ni no Kuni has been sitting in my backlog forever, so I'm not keen on jumping straight into the second.

So I guess I might be playing Dissidia around that time. We'll see what happens though, there's still plenty of Q1 release date announcements to come.

Fou-Lu

Absolutely loved Kyle's Mega Man X Command Mission stream. I am really glad he is enjoying it, it's one of my favourite hidden gems of that era.

Top Bottom