• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain Expansion - coming December 13th

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/FH3_Blizzard_Mountain_Announce

Get the snow tires ready and pack your best parka, because Blizzard Mountain beckons! The Blizzard Mountain Expansion for Forza Horizon 3 is coming Dec. 13 and bringing with it a Forza first – snow, ice, extreme elevations and blizzards to challenge players in their quest to become the King of the Mountain. Set amidst extreme alpine settings, players will explore a snowy mountain playground in eight new vehicles – including the 2016 Ford GYMKHANA 9 Focus RS RX – all in brand new race events that have been specifically designed for spectacular mountain racing.

The Blizzard Mountain expansion for Forza Horizon 3 is available separately or as part of the Forza Horizon 3 Expansion Pass, which gives players discounted access to two expansions for $34.99. Ultimate Edition owners receive a $10 discount on the Forza Horizon 3 Expansion Pass if purchased before the end of 2016.

Become King of the Mountain
This brand-new campaign challenges players to compete in a series of thrilling events with the ultimate goal of becoming the King of the Mountain. With more than 50 new events and challenges to compete in, the expansion tests drivers’ skills across extreme weather and brand new race types, including Hill Climb, Descent and Blizzard race events. In addition, players will be able to take part in new Bucket List Blueprint and Rivals events, as well as earn 28 new Xbox Live Achievements worth 500 Gamerscore points (see below for the full list of Achievements).

Explore a New Alpine Playground
Blizzard Mountain is a mountain paradise for car fans, full of adventurous terrain and challenging driving conditions. New areas like the extreme sports snow park and a massive frozen lake make this the ultimate snowy playground for players’ favorite vehicles. In addition, players will find bonus boards to smash, beauty spots to enjoy, and a brand new hidden Barn Find vehicle.

Blizzard Mountain also introduces seven brand new vehicles to the game (plus the aforementioned Barn Find), including the incredible 2016 Ford GYMKHANA 9 Focus RS RX, the 2016 Nissan Titan Warrior Concept, classic rally cars and more. In addition, when exploring Blizzard Mountain, players will be able to choose snow tire upgrades for any of the vehicles in Forza Horizon 3 to prepare them to take on a wide range of thrilling driving surfaces.

Now, here’s a closer look at the new cars coming to the expansion:

2016 Ford GYMKHANA 9 Focus RS RX
The 2016 Ford GYMKHANA 9 Focus RS RX shifts everything we love about Ford’s latest hatchback masterpiece into overdrive. The RX RS is an astonishing 10-inches wider than the Focus RS and features nearly double the horsepower. There are vents, and lips, and flares that all culminate into a form that screams speed. Take a rocket ride through the sequential gearbox and blow through some twisties and find out exactly what makes this car Ken Block’s latest Gymkhana weapon of choice.

1965 Ford F-100 Flareside Abatti Racing Trophy Truck
Long before the tube-frame, fiberglass bodied trophy trucks of today, men (and women) raced real trucks in the desert. The Abatti family has been doing so for three generations and the “Hay Hauler” is a rig that changed the face of desert racing. Everything bolts or is welded to the frame and there are four shocks per corner, as well as leaf springs, making it much closer to stock than the completely fabricated and engineered trucks of today. Don’t let its age fool you into thinking it isn’t fast though; Robby Gordon has raced this truck in Class 8 and once ended up so far ahead that race spectators thought he was lost when they spotted him.

1975 Lancia Stratos HF Group 4
You can thank Lancia’s competition manager Cesare Fiorio for what went on to become one of the most legendary rally cars in history. Fiorio’s enthusiasm drove the Stratos from first sight as a concept to its Group 4 development. The wedge shape penned by Marcelo Gandini helped establish Bertone as a more than just a custom coach builder. When engine development stalled, a Ferrari V6 was utilized in the mid-engine design. In race spec, the near 300 hp and rally suspension excelled on tarmac or mixed surfaces. Rally Legend Sandro Munari won 17 stages at the San Remo Rally in this car, making the Group 4 racer’s mark in what has become the stuff of rally legend.

1985 Lancia Delta S4 Group B
The Group B rally era took rally car performance to new levels, and the Delta S4 is possibly the most extreme interpretation. What looks vaguely like a hot-hatch is a mid-engine all-wheel-drive car with near perfect 50-50 weight distribution. The engine has both a super charger for low-end grunt and a turbo for near 500 high-revving hp. The S4 set the pace in Group B with drivers Markku Alén and Henri Toivonen. Sadly and historically, Toivonen suffered a fatal crash in the S4 at Corsica that prompted the end of Group B. Despite the loss, the mid-eighties will forever be remembered as a high point in rally racing development, in large part to the Delta S4.

2016 Nissan Titan Warrior Concept
If Nissan actually decides to build the Titan Warrior Concept, the Ford Raptor better get ready for some competition. The Warrior follows Ford’s lead into the desert racing, pre-runner inspired design with more than just a look that calls to adventure. The Warrior is six inches wider than a standard Titan, is powered by a Cummins Turbo Diesel, and has suspension for days. On the outside, the look is all that as well, with flared fenders a cab spoiler and the trim and lighting to make it standout. You can’t yet drive it in the real world, but a test drive in Forza will surely whet your appetite for what we hope will become a reality.

2016 RJ Anderson #37 Polaris RZR-Rockstar Energy Pro 2 Truck
Pro 2 Unlimited trucks are two-wheel-drive race trucks with almost unlimited modifications. Their suspension travel is phenomenal and while only the rear wheels are pushing, the traction they find makes for astounding speed, with opposite lock sliding turns and amazing jumps in every lap. RJ Anderson is climbing the ranks of top drivers and was led in 2016 by only the infamous Rob McCachren in the Lucas Off Road Racing Series. The #37’s killer livery featuring sponsors Polaris and Rockstar Energy makes it look fast, even sitting still, but we doubt you will ever see it doing anything less than flying.

2016 Subaru #199 WRX STI VT15r Rally Car
Rally America is the United States’ premier national rally series and Subaru has been consistently dominant as the motorsport continues to gain traction across the country. The #199 is driven by extreme motorsport and motocross legend Travis Pastrana, who has given Subaru teammate and multi-year Rally America champion David Higgins a run for his money, winning numerous stages throughout the year and taking the win at the 100-Acre Wood event in 2016. This is the factory works racing effort from Subaru in the open class. What that means is there is nothing faster under rally conditions and no effort or expense was spared in building this world-class racer.

And don’t forget to keep an eye out for that mystery barn find while discovering all that Blizzard Mountain has to offer this December.

CyXJZ-PWgAAcTqH.jpg:large

Full list of Achievements can be found at the link above as well but didnt want to post them in case of spoilers.

Call me the Snow King if old.

Have there been any rumors about adding Porsche to the game?

I thought I read that EA's stranglehold on the license finally ended.

JaggedSac

I'm in. Depending on the standalone price I might just grab the expansion pass. I'll likely be grabbing both expansions anyway.

m23

Sounds awesome, way better than Storm Island ever did at least.

Definitely getting this at release.

Storm island was great IMO. Had a lot of fun with the career mode in it, moreso than the base Horizon 2 game.

I hope this does the same for Horizon 3.

jacobeid

Banned
Looks fun, but I'm going to have a really hard time spending money on this after I paid $100 at launch for a completely broken game. Sorry devs, do better for your customers. I'll grab these on a deep discount.

Sorry guys, no money from me until the performance improves.

Stay strong. We need to send a message that what they did was unacceptable.

Cant seem to find a video for this bit of PR at all, which is pretty wierd.

Would have loved to have seen a discount for VIP owners as well..... still in for it on day one though!!

GlamFM

Banned
Achievements:

Welcome to Base Camp 10 Open the Blizzard Mountain Festival.
Just Getting STARted 10 Earn your first star at Blizzard Mountain.
Triple Star Performance 10 Earn 3 Stars at a single route at Blizzard Mountain.
Ding Ding 10 Reach Round 2 of King of the Mountain.
Final Bout 20 Reach the final round of King of the Mountain.
Going Supernova 30 Get every possible star at Blizzard Mountain.
And Long May They Reign 20 Complete every single King of the Mountain Race.
Frozen in Time 10 Find the Blizzard Mountain Barn Find and Restore it.
It's Not Over 10 Complete a Blizzard Mountain Championship.
Mountain Mastery 30 Complete every Blizzard Mountain Championship.
Hail to the King 50 Win the Kingmaker.
Snowboarding 20 Smash every Blizzard Mountain Bonus Board.
Winter Wonderland 20 View every Beauty Spot on Blizzard Mountain.
Snow and Tell 10 Blueprint a Blizzard Mountain Bucket List Challenge.
Needs More Blizzard 10 Blueprint a King of the Mountain race, set weather to "Blizzard" and complete it.
Still Never Found That Yeti 20 Drive down every road in Blizzard Mountain.
The Ice Breaker 10 Complete a Blizzard Mountain Bucket List.
Everyday I'm Shovellin' 20 Complete all Blizzard Mountain Bucket Lists.
Chillin' With Friends 20 Complete 20 Online races across Online Freeroam and Online Adventure at Blizzard Mountain.
Ice to See You 10 Complete 5 Co-op Blizzard Mountain Races.
All Downhill from Here 20 Finish a Mountain Rush Descent race in the 2016 Ford GYMKHANA 9 Focus RS RX in under 2 minutes.
What's "Safety"? 20 Beat the Ski Jump World Record (825ft) from a Danger Sign in the 1975 Lancia Stratos HF Group 4.
Slip Sliding 20 Drift the 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Group B for 35,000 points in a Drift Zone on Blizzard Mountain.
Snowdown 20 Smash 10 Snowmen in the 2016 Nissan Titan Warrior Concept.
Personally, I Prefer the Air 20 Pull off 10 Ultimate Air skills in the RJ Anderson #37 Pro 2 Truck on Blizzard Mountain.
It's Still Got It! 20 Win a Race with a Blizzard in the 1966 Ford F-100 Flareside Abatti Racing Trophy Truck.
Snowboating 20 Get 100,000 Score in one Chain in the 2016 Subaru #199 WRX STI VT15r Rally Car on Blizzard Mountain.
Gliding It Home 10 Win a King of the Mountain Race without Snow Tires.

YES! This sounds fantastic, but I want a vid now. Hopefully, they sort out PC version issues in time for the DLC release, but thankfully the console version is fine in the meantime.

Izuna

Banned
;( I missed out on the sale since I was too busy considering whether or not to pick this up this year. This would have made my decision easy...

Fox Mulder

Day 1.

Have wanted snow for years, and the off-road aspect of horizon 3 is really great.

The credits for the main game already listed Arctic Trucks, who modify trucks for expeditions and even Top Gears trip to the north pole.

ElNino

Wait... so the ultimate edition doesn't come with the expansions?
No, and this has been covered several times before. The Ultimate Edition includes the base game, VIP and the Car Pass. It was announced right away that there would also be an Expansion Pass.

I can't justify buying this until they fix the PC-version.

It's honestly the worst state of a PC-port I've ever seen. It's still completely unplayable with 6700K 4.5GHz + 32GB 3200MHz + GTX1080 8GB + NVMe SSD. I've reformated, changed computer (upgraded from 4790K + 970) and tried every trick in the book.

j-wood

This sounds really great, but I also won't be buying until I can play this game on my PC.

30fps is so bad for me input lag wise (and nothing fixes it) that it's unplayable. There is a good 3 second delay from me pressing an analogue stick, and that action taking place on the screen.

If the snow looks as good as it does in that render over at OP's post, and if the cars handle in a super satisfying way, I'll be there day one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On the one hand as an ultimate edition owner I might grab the discounted expansion pass as it probably isn't much more than the standalone first expansion (so we have a standalone price?)

On the other hand I kind of feel like I'd be throwing good money after bad as one of the main reasons to go ultimate was the early access and the PC version was a waste of time to get early

Montresor

Is the PC version seriously broken? Microsoft and PC gaming - I guess it just doesn't end well, huh? I'm *selifishly* happy that the XB1 version was fine because it's my game of the year. Shame about the PC version... Ugh.

On topic - this expansion looks incredible. I went ahead and got the expansion pass to get ready for it. Reading through the achievements list it's like Blizzard Mountain could be a GOTY contender on its own, it seems that big.

Sydle

This sounds really great, but I also won't be buying until I can play this game on my PC.

30fps is so bad for me input lag wise (and nothing fixes it) that it's unplayable. There is a good 3 second delay from me pressing an analogue stick, and that action taking place on the screen.

lmao why exaggerate this much?

Is the PC version seriously broken? Microsoft and PC gaming - I guess it just doesn't end well, huh? I'm *selifishly* happy that the XB1 version was fine because it's my game of the year. Shame about the PC version... Ugh.

On topic - this expansion looks incredible. I went ahead and got the expansion pass to get ready for it. Reading through the achievements list it's like Blizzard Mountain could be a GOTY contender on its own, it seems that big.

If you can settle for 30fps it's perfectly fine. Most people are frustrated because they can't get a stable 60fps, which is something MS should definitely work on.

jacobeid

Banned
Is the PC version seriously broken?

Microsoft and PC gaming - I guess it just doesn't end well, huh?

I'm *selifishly* happy that the XB1 version was fine because it's my game of the year. Shame about the PC version... Ugh.

It's *really* broken. We're talking Arkham Knight level of broken.

Glad to see so many in here voting with their wallet. Playground/T10 went from one of my favorite developers to the top of my shit list in one release. Waste of $100.

To the poster above, 30fps isn't fine. That is also broken and unplayable due to the input lag. It isn't 3 seconds but it's more than 1 second. It's unplayable.

LostDonkey

Define broken??

I've been playing it 4k30 since launch and it's absolutely amazing.

j-wood

lmao why exaggerate this much?

If you can settle for 30fps it's perfectly fine. Most people are frustrated because they can't get a stable 60fps, which is something MS should definitely work on.

i'm not exaggerating. I'll see if I can make a video of it, but it's a 2-3 second delay of input lag.

It goes away if I put the frame rate to 60fps, but then you run into all the issues that that has.

jacobeid

Banned
Define broken??

I've been playing it 4k30 since launch and it's absolutely amazing.

How's that input lag treating you? Check out the PC performance thread. You might not notice any of this, but it's far from amazing, even now. I even upgraded my system and it still runs like shit.

i'm not exaggerating. I'll see if I can make a video of it, but it's a 2-3 second delay of input lag.

It goes away if I put the frame rate to 60fps, but then you run into all the issues that that has.

Yup. It's awful and the devs haven't even commented about it. Don't give them money for this expansion if you care about devs releasing working products.

Theorry

Not really. For some is good for some its bad. As alot of pc games lately.
And about MS and PC gaming isnt really fair also. Because maybe the best pc version of a game in the last years comes from a MS studio. Gears 4.

Sydle

Would be curious to see it. I've put nearly 10 hours on the PC game and never once experienced it.

jacobeid

Banned
Would be curious to see it. I've put nearly 10 hours on the PC game and never once experienced it.

If you're playing at 30fps it's happening and you might just not notice it. Switching to 60fps completely removed any input lag. This is well documented.

j-wood

It's really frustrating. It's also not an issue with hardware. My laptop has an 6700HQ, a 1060, and 16GB of ram. Running latest drivers, and the controller is an Xbox One using the official wireless adapter.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I bought the expensive one with all the DLC and have barely played the game

not that its not great. just been doing other stuff.

Top Bottom