• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Do So Many People Complain About Loud Consoles?

Leonidas

My consoles are a few feet away from me while gaming. Same with my gaming PC. Because of this I've built my gaming PC to be as silent as possible(it's much quieter than all current gen consoles). I've got rid of PS4 a few times because they all got so loud(even the C-chassis) though I hear the new Slim is pretty silent. Xbox One (OG) is okay and the Wii U is best if running games off solid state storage since the disc drive is constantly running. Xbox 360 E and PS3 Super Slim are okay also(though kinda loud for the hardware inside them). I notice all these things and it's led me to prefer gaming silence on my PC, which is pretty quiet even in full gaming load.

eso76

Headphones.

Nah, you don't want to make yourself unable to hear noises or voices from the other rooms in your house, especially when there are little kids involved.

And I shouldn't need to find a workaround and give up the lovely 5.1 setup I built (yes, it is worth it even when I need to keep things below -40dB)

Loud consoles are annoying. More or less annoying depending on your setup, environment and a number of other things, but annoying nonetheless. And it shouldn't be hard to understand why it could be a huge deal to someone.

But main problem for me is still never being sure whether it's safe to keep playing or the console is going to melt.
I think I read somewhere that ps4s automatically shut down before the temperature can cause damage, but I'm not sure.

Zero83

My Xbox 360 was, and my PS4 is incredibly noisy. It doesn't matter what games I play. No difference between Tetris and Uncharted 4. Sometimes it almost sounds like there is a chopper nearby. I learn to filter the sounds out, but it's such a pleasant difference when I turn the power off. It is a huge annoyance, obviously.

My GameCube, PS2, Wii and Wii U were all completely silent.

jacobeid

Banned
Trust me OP, the sounds that my launch PS4 makes, I can hear it from 3 rooms away when playing something like Uncharted 4. It's bad and almost scary because it sounds like its going to blow soon.

This is the first console that I've owned that's this loud.

Agreed with this post completely. Ive owned nearly every major console since 1990 and my launch PS4 is by far the loudest and the only one that I've ever been able to hear. I even went in and vacuumed it and used an air can to clean it out. The problems for me started around Uncharted 4 time.

My PS4 has seen limited use as it has been an exclusive box its entire life, taking backseat to my PC...... Which runs more quietly than my PS4 even when all 8 fans are blasting.

Oy.

Top Bottom