• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ellie is the main playable character in The Last of Us: Part II

The fact that you play Ellie, a character who acts differently compared to Joel and also who will probably play differently since she's smaller and quicker, that adds a new dynamic to the game. Now we'll probably have more scenes similar to David and Winter rather than Joel being the dominating one all the way through. That gives both games their own identity rather than us playing Joel again and it being the same as before except he's older and calmer.

Smart idea I'd say.

Plus, bows.

LegendX48

Ellie's 19? That puts it roughly four years after the end of the first game. Can't wait to see what crazy thing went down during that time if the theme's gonna be "hate."

mcz117chief

Darn, I was hoping for a new cast in a different country. Europe, Middle East or something. Dunno if I'll even consider it.

Ellie's 19? That puts it roughly four years after the end of the first game. Can't wait to see what crazy thing went down during that time if the theme's gonna be "hate."

Well, she hates the Fireflies. I'm willing it to bet it's because Joel kept feeding her nonsense about them.

Especially on GAF. I mean hey you might find one or two shitposts on YT, but that is YT. Will probably just be a salty non PS4 owner.

As I said I don't know anyone who loves TLoU that has a problem with Ellie.
In this very thread we have people complaining that they can't play as Joel.

Nev

Banned
Honestly, not a fan of this decision, but it was obvious they were heading that way. I hope they don't make her too stealthy, since Joel's brutal, gritty approach was the most fun thing about TLOU's combat. I didn't enjoy Winter's gameplay solely for this reason.

It's actually the best part of the game for me. Playing as the generic 30-something gruff guy who punches through walls and snap necks like he's opening jars did nothing for me. Playing as Ellie, with the bigger focus on stealth, the bow and having weaker melee abilities was an immensely better experience. It reminded me of the good old survival games and RE4. Absolutely the peak of the game for me, followed by the hotel basement and the college campus.

Kuro

It's actually the best part of the game for me. Playing as the generic 30-something gruff guy who punches through walls and snap necks like he's opening jars did nothing for me. Playing as Ellie, with the bigger focus on stealth, the bow and having weaker melee abilities was an immensely better experience. It reminded me of the good old survival games and RE4. Absolutely the peak of the game along with the hotel basement and the college campus.

Joel was at least late 40s.

My thoughts too. Joel was one of the most uninteresting, overrated characters in a video game ever. A monster, but none of the hilarity of a Kratos.

So, a character whose motivations and general character are still discussed regularly today (years after hte game was released) is somehow uninteresting?

Everyone saying Joel going to die lol. (Hope not)
I feel like if he does die, it won't be early on. Joel dying in the first 30 minutes, and then just playing Ellie is hardly The Last of US. I could see it being at the end or second half.
Although I'd like none of them to die but going TWO games without either one dying. Would be a bit odd, but at least it wouldn't be predictable I guess?

It's not a spoiler.
I can see where he is coming from tbh.

Especially on GAF. I mean hey you might find one or two shitposts on YT, but that is YT. Will probably just be a salty non PS4 owner.

As I said I don't know anyone who loves TLoU that has a problem with Ellie.

I think some people are determined to believe that the entire Internet is just a horrible place. I've never seen any sort of bias against female leads in games on GAF. And the YouTube community is hardly even worth talking about.

Rob2K19

That title is quite a spoiler for people who haven't played TLOU and have been avoiding the trailer for Part II...

Are we pretending that Sony never bundled the game with every PS4(or buy one and get TLOU or another game for free) or made it available via PS Now since 2014 up to now?

Corpsepyre

Banned
The new main theme just played at PSX along with some concept art for the game. Incredible new theme. Same composer.

I'm curious,what don't you like about ellie? She was a badass and strong female lead.

She was a stubborn, willful, annoying character that got slightly more likeable as the game progressed - nothing really all that special to me. I'm a 40 year-old male and the notion of playing as a teenage girl seems off-putting and not entertaining whatsoever to me.

You can always play the original game, if you want

I already did - when it first released. I'll play it again if I choose.

Get out of here, Joel was fucking awesome.

This.

My thoughts too. Joel was one of the most uninteresting, overrated characters in a video game ever. A monster, but none of the hilarity of a Kratos.

I don't mean to attest to what has or has not to be interesting, but Joel was hardly overrated. He was fairly nuanced, had clear and strong character growth, and was core to the game's story and thematics. Not to say he was the only such character in videogames at the time of release but his execution would be no less meaningful had it lacked in uniqueness.

I also wouldn't say that Joel is, uh, "likeable" in the sense that i think he'd be the kind of person to never get along with anyone in real life, and who would also probably devolve into alcohol driven self destructive behavior had the zomiepocalypse happened. But he has a strong presence and a clear set of values which makes him charismatic as a fictional character. The game is also such that the main conflict of his character is almost immediately evident by virtue of an early introduction of Ellie, which further increases his narrative value. Thus i don't think him being cool or awesome or interesting is necessary, and at worst it's kind of missing the point.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Meh. Hopefully it's at least 50/50. Melee with Joel was much more satisfying. It's cool to have both playstyles.

A main female lead on a AAA game. Oh the comments will be delicious.

EDIT: People seem to be misinterpreting my post.

There will be lots of crying about the fact that its a female lead, is what I meant. I don't get it either, but there will.
It's Naughty Dog. They'll get a pass.

Good to know. I would have thrown up if I got to control Joel again.

That being said, I wonder how they are going to handle Joel since he is such a diversively viewed character. Please don't do what Telltale did with Kenny in TWD season 2.

People who didn't like Ellie as a character in the original need to remember this is ~5 years after the first game and she isn't a 14 year old girl anymore. I'm expecting a very different character this time.

TEH-CJ

Banned
She was a stubborn, willful, annoying character that got slightly more likeable as the game progressed - nothing really all that special to me. I'm a 40 year-old male and the notion of playing as a teenage girl seems off-putting and not entertaining whatsoever to me.

I already did - when it first released. I'll play it again if I choose.

This.

Blame male feminism. Its ruined the gaming industry. I don't think I have to mention any names.

Top Bottom