• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

Carnby

Mortrialus said:
I'm saying that compared to that, Bill Maher might as well be a comedic genius.

If you are going to challenge me, at least challenge my statement. I said nothing about humor. I said they were both equally biased, so challenge that. I don't see the point of your post, junior.

jaekwon15 said:
I don't see the difference between Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh. Both are equally biased, just on different sides.

lexi

Banned
I don't see the difference between Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh. Both are equally biased, just on different sides.

No, fuck this false equivalency bullshit. They are not the same.

jaekwon15 said:
If you are going to challenge me, at least challenge my statement. I said nothing about humor. I said they were both equally biased, so challenge that. I don't see the point of your post, junior.

I was challenging your statement.

jaekwon15 said:
I don't see the difference between Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh

I provided you with a clear example of a difference between them, that you refuse to acknowledge.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
i don't see the difference between nazis and the allied forces. they both killed civilians.

Instigator said:
There must be a video of this, right?

Sorry if I'm late on this. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZbzs5BwBLA

After I watched that video, I completely lost all interest I had in Maher. ''You can criticize anything, but don't you dare touch Israel''! You can even see Maher stop right in his track when his guest questioned the US attention had on Israel. It's like his brain shut down. He couldn't understand that someone else didn't have a hard-on when talking about Israel.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Bill Mahr is an asshole comic who can't hide the fact that he feels nothing but scorn for people who don't operate within his intellectual sphere, and refuses to make a genuine effort to understand their point of view. However, he respects factuality.

Rush Limbaugh is an asshole comic, and fat white entitled racist pig, who buys entirely into the mentality of the privileged manipulating the plebes for "the greater good, and to assure our destined ascendancy." He lies, distorts, dips below even the asshole level in insulting and mocking virtually anyone, and supports a sociopolitical machine that aims to subvert human progress in the name of profit and the rule of other fat white men.

Both men are dicks, both are fundamentally unlikable, but in the final analysis quite different in terms of what their attitudes are predicated on, their motivations, and their ultimate aims.

Bill Mahr is using his gig to raise awareness of hypocrisy, like a lot of comics. He's just a jerk about it, and hits below the belt at the wrong times, and falls into skirting argumentative fallacies or simplifications because he believes the other side is inherently wrong and he doesn't really have to worry if he's right.

Limbaugh is a troglodyte from the past who is a kinpin in the campaign to deceive and manipulate the ignorant for his and his fellows' personal profit, and to burn the world as long as it keeps their cigars lit. He doesn't actually care who is right or wrong, and sees such questions as the self indulgence of academia. All the matters is the unassailable might of money and power to keep the "right" people, his people, in charge.

Uchip

Banned
Hes a dick
but thats what makes him interesting
Id rather watch him troll Christians than give polite seminars

winter

jaekwon15 said:

Will you stop calling him junior as if it actually means anything? Especially since he's coming off a lot more intelligent and level-headed than you are.

pj

Banned
I don't think maher is as pro israel as he used to be. He had the (jewish) director of a pro palestinian movie on a couple weeks ago and Bill didn't seem to defend israel at all.

Also, everyone has a bias. People who pretend not to are called journalists, which neither Bill or Rush are. Bill isn't trying to be a news man, he's trying to be a comedian on an entertainment show. He says what he thinks is true, whether it is or not is irrelevant. Rush just says whatever he thinks will enrage his fan base enough to keep listening and buy more sleep number beds.

Oblivion said:
I'd say I'm a pretty big fan of Maher. Although there's a few things I don't agree with him on, like his thoughts on vaccines and germ theory, but overall there's far more I agree with. He definitely does a good job with bringing on conservatives, though I wished he did it far more (the episodes with all libruls are kinda boring). I also love his New Rules segments.

I understand that many may not like him cause of his demeanor, and while it's true he can be annoying at times, he's more of a force for good. In this political environment, I'll take all the left leaning commentators I can get.

Here are some of my favorite new rules:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RzlUjE_Lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQn3vBSxdZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfyCHMzRXMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6QAaf81T24&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyxxTT5la6Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmsj59FrhFw&feature=related

omg so good

please, more!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Last night's show was excellent. When he has a republican mouthpiece on, the show always gets mired in bullshit and its annoying. Like when he invites that Amy Holmes moron.

pj

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Last night's show was excellent. When he has a republican mouthpiece on, the show always gets mired in bullshit and its annoying. Like when he invites that Amy Holmes moron.

I love how all the party republicans have the same stupid grin after they say something that they know deep down is horse shit. Then there's a little silence and bill gives them the :-/ face, then the republican has to reaffirm it like they actually believe it.

Carnby

lexi said:

Bill Maher once said that all racism and homophobia comes from (and can only be found in) the Republican Party.

pj said:
I don't think maher is as pro israel as he used to be. He had the (jewish) director of a pro palestinian movie on a couple weeks ago and Bill didn't seem to defend israel at all.

Also, everyone has a bias. People who pretend not to are called journalists, which neither Bill or Rush are. Bill isn't trying to be a news man, he's trying to be a comedian on an entertainment show. He says what he thinks is true, whether it is or not is irrelevant. Rush just says whatever he thinks will enrage his fan base enough to keep listening and buy more sleep number beds.

I've been watching this show for almost a few months now and have been browsing many old clips and I don't understand the wave of hate. Yes he gets too stubborn at times and yes a few of his viewpoints are quite bothersome (some of his comments on Muslim-Americans). But I think treating him as if he was some light Fox News commentator is a bit hypebolic. He is a man who makes some great points but tends to get smelly once in a while due to wallowing in his own shit. He has also stated multiple times that he isn't a journalist, not does he thing what he does is super significant. He states that he's just a political commentator that tries to give his opinions by making people laugh. A modern jester as you will.

Y2Kev said:

I think its to make his show "less bias". The show is clearly very left and it is only saved from being completely liberal thanks to Maher's stances on Muslims. I imagine it would be pretty hard finding some quality right-wing people in that show due to the fact that there are less level headed ones than the left (well left and right by this country's standards) and few of them want to go on a show where they have to go up against 4 left leaning individuals.

lexi said:

Veidt said:
i don't see the difference between nazis and the allied forces. they both killed civilians.

Mortrialus said:
I was challenging your statement.

I provided you with a clear example of a difference between them, that you refuse to acknowledge.

Why are do you fall for and feed such a mediocre troll?

jaekwon15 said:
Bill Maher once said that all racism and homophobia comes from (and can only be found in) the Republican Party.

What's with GAFs shitty trolls lately? Where's Trent Strong or jett to give us some quality trolling? Hell I'll even take Marleyman at this point.

Partisan pricks like him are the last thing this country needs in this political climate.
I'm not excusing anyone else on the other side of the aisle.

winter

shadowsdarknes said:
Partisan pricks like him are the last thing this country needs in this political climate.
I'm not excusing anyone else on the other side of the aisle.

Have you ever watched his show? He's indeed liberal, but partisan he is not. He bashes the democrats and Obama all the time. We're not talking about the occasional side comment. He trashes them every episode.

Carnby

As for what I said before, I will defend it as I heard it with my own ears on Real Time. I will try to find the episode. I also found this article.

winter said:
Have you ever watched his show? He's indeed liberal, but partisan he is not. He bashes the democrats and Obama all the time. We're not talking about the occasional side comment. He trashes them every episode.
You can even catch Sean Hannity bashing Republicans. He continuously says that he's a registered conservative, not Republican.

The stuff I've heard Maher say about Republicans is about as bad as what I've heard Hannity say about Democrats.

jaekwon15 said:
As for what I said before, I will defend it as I heard it with my own ears on Real Time. I will try to find the episode. I also found this article.

He said that if you are racist, you will probably lean toward the republican party, which is a water is wet comment.

Definitely one of the better eps but good lord what in the hell is taking so long for this week's overtime video to show up on the site? Usually it is there every Saturday morning like clockwork.

I too tired especially easily of most of the Republican guests this season...though the Tea Party people are the worst unless one of them just really goes for it. Though it was last season I think, PJ O'Rourke had about the worst appearance I can remember despite prior ones being nowhere near as grating.

He needs more eclectic characters that represent off the rails viewpoints instead of the usual 2 camps of late.

jaekwon15 said:
lol, you're never going to find the episode because he never actually said what you said he said. just like a typical right winger, you're making shit up to support your losing argument and hoping nobody calls you out on it.

ElectricThunder said:
Definitely one of the better eps but good lord what in the hell is taking so long for this week's overtime video to show up on the site? Usually it is there every Saturday morning like clockwork.

Its up now.

EDIT - Wait not it isn't. It says "Over Time Has Ended".

winter

jaekwon15 said:

So how does "if you're racist, you're probably republican" translate into "all racism and homophobia comes from (and can only be found in) the Republican Party"?

What he said shouldn't even be controversial. It's just true. The republican party has a long history of opposing civil rights and fighting against social programs that benefit minorities. Even the racist democrats (dixiecrats) took refuge in the republican party because their views on social issues were accepted there.

Flying_Phoenix said:
He said that if you are racist, you will probably lean toward the republican party, which is a water is wet comment.

Eh... if you're white and have racist views about non-whites, perhaps so. The definition of "racism" encompasses more than that.

winter said:
So how does "if you're racist, you're probably republican" translate into "all racism and homophobia comes from (and can only be found in) the Republican Party"?

What he said shouldn't even be controversial. It's just true. The republican party has a long history of opposing civil rights and fighting against social programs that benefit minorities. Even the racist democrats (dixiecrats) took refuge in the republican party because their views on social issues were accepted there.

I know this is a thread full of people proud to call themselves extreme leftists (well, that's PoliGAF, isn't it?), but please be intellectually honest, if you can, and recognize that opposing a social program does not necessarily mean that you oppose it because it happens to benefit many people who are non-white.

It would also be helpful to recognize that the Republican party of today, and people who describe themselves as Repbulicans or as conservatives--these things do not necessarily have any connection to the viewpoints of different people from another time who also defined themselves as "Republicans".

I know this is a real "us versus them" buzzkill, but not everyone on GAF is that blindly partisan, right? Someone please confirm that for me.

Night_Trekker said:
Eh... if you're white and have racist views about non-whites, perhaps so. The definition of "racism" encompasses more than that.

Ture, but its obvious that narrow definition is what he meant.

Night_Trekker said:
I know this is a thread full of people proud to call themselves extreme leftists (well, that's PoliGAF, isn't it?), but please be intellectually honest, if you can, and recognize that opposing a social program does not necessarily mean that you oppose it because it happens to benefit many people who are non-white.

It would also be helpful to recognize that the Republican party of today, and people who describe themselves as Repbulicans or as conservatives--these things do not necessarily have any connection to the viewpoints of different people from another time who also defined themselves as "Republicans".

I know this is a real "us versus them" buzzkill, but not everyone on GAF is that blindly partisan, right? Someone please confirm that for me.

What the hell are you talking about?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Almost watched this episode with a friend of mine. Glad I didn't. She's a flight attendant for a regional airline.

Good ep though.

jaekwon15 said:
LOL what are you so upset about?

Lets go by this point by point, because you seem to not be following.

One page 2 you posted this.

jaekwon15 said:
I don't see the difference between Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh.

Now, this statement is inherently flawed. Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh are different people, there is naturally going to be many differences between them, not just one. Real life isn't a binary "X good. X Bad." type of thing. We aren't dealing with vanilla ice scream recipes here, where the only difference might be the increase or decrease of a particular ingredient. Since there isn't going to be just one key difference, the only way to reinterpret your poorly worded post is; I don't see any difference between Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh.

I then posted a clear example of a difference. Rush Limbaugh is consistently unfunny. This isn't even a partisan issue, or an offense issue. The guy just isn't a humor guy. Bill Maher is consistently a more funny person. As I have provided you with a clear example of a difference, I demand that you concede the point rather than cowardly ignoring me as you have been doing.

lexi

Banned
My absolute favourite quotes from the last episode, He was on fire when he came out with this stuff:

Obama admitted, "We met the Republicans, what they asked, and then we gave them more." This is like your lawyer saying to you, "You know, I went into the chambers with the judge and the prosecutor, and my first offer was 40 years to life for you, and I think I can get your tailgating charge moved up to manslaughter. And that's my first offer."

What it comes down to is there is one religion in the world that kills you when you disagree with them and they say, ‘Look, we are a religion of peace and if you disagree, we’ll fucking cut your head off,’ and nobody calls them on it. There are very few people that will call them on it. You know, it’s like if dad is a violent drunk and beats his kids, You don’t blame the kid because he set dad off. You blame Dad because he’s a violent drunk.

You know how they always used to say, that the Obama administration, this is the Rahm Emanuel quote, They would not let a crisis go to waste. I feel like the Republicans are really doing that more. This is a crisis we have and they're using it to put in their.. Ayn Rand theory of life. Paul Ryan says he is the biggest fan of Ayn Rand. And you know that theory, was that the industrious, good people, the entrepreneurs, the successful ones, they're the ones that should have it all, it's the moochers who are fucking everything up. You know who else was a fan of Ayn Rand? Alan Greenspan. Let me read his quote, he said 'Creative individuals (the good people) and undeviating purpose and rationality achieve joy and fulfillment. Parasites, who persistently avoid either purpose or reason perish as they should.

So if you wonder about where this stuff comes like cutting heating oil for the poor, that's where it comes from. 'They Perish as they should.'

Y2Kev said:

She was on an MSNBC talk show and someone was asking her about some outrageous birther comment a GOP politician made, and she replied by saying everyone says crazy things once in a while, and tried to brush it aside by bringing up the fact that Dennis Kucinich claimed he once saw a UFO.

Wow a really good episode.

That being said, stating that 60% of Mississippi Republicans being against inter-racial marriage, when in reality that was only for people 60 and up was a bit low. Like Fox News low.

No new one on next week.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Flying_Phoenix said:
Maher is libertarian.

NintendoGal said:
Like hell he is. He's a freaking neo-con.

Both of you need to explain this to me.

I can accept that Maher is a liberal/progressive with a few libertarian strands that run through his body. Are we talking about the same person?

Agnostic said:
Both of you need to explain this to me.

I can accept that Maher is a liberal/progressive with a few libertarian strands that run through his body. Are we talking about the same person?

By standard world politics he is libertarian and describes himself as such.

He stated that in the 90's he use to be a strict libertarian but the country moved so to the right that he may not be considered such anymore. In other words he didn't change, but the American parties did.

SolKane

Just saw the most recent episode.

The opening interview was fairly weak. Can't believe Maher didn't follow up when Deval Patrick said "[Obama] ended one war and is trying to end another." Maher addressed it slightly but decided to let it go, even after Patrick clearly equivocated on the timeframe for when the war would end. Overall I found that Maher was much more passive in this interview than he typically conducts himself.

The panel was very good, with the exception of Breitbart. I'm not sure what the point of having him on was, since the conversation inevitably revolved around his scandals. And I personally find the guy repulsive and fraudulent. John Waters was amazing though, I had no idea he was so funny. I would have liked to hear more from Laura Flanders and the other guy (forgot his name, but he seemed very reasonable).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It seems that there's some prior agreement with Maher and Breitbart where, if Breitbart comes on his show, Maher's not supposed to bring up Breitbart's scandals. Kinda shitty, really. At least he didn't call him a journalist like he did last time he was on at least.

Pretty enjoyable episode, though I think he spent too much time on the wedding bullshit in the opening monologue and not enough on the birth certificate.

New rules was pretty good. This was the first time I've ever seen him mention the expansion of Obama's executive powers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The woman was insufferable. "Let's have them dig a tunnel to get troops out of Afghanistan". What the fuck does that even mean?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
firehawk12 said:
The woman was insufferable. "Let's have them dig a tunnel to get troops out of Afghanistan". What the fuck does that even mean?

lol, yeah I like that lady, but that was a stupid comment attempting to be clever.

Juanadams

Banned
firehawk12 said:

Yeah the entire episode she was a buzzkill, just trying to throw out terrible jokes and buzz words that people already know about instead of actually arguing and discussing things.

Juanadams said:
Yeah the entire episode she was a buzzkill, just trying to throw out terrible jokes and buzz words that people already know about instead of actually arguing and discussing things.

I'd imagine it's hard not to be a buzzkill when you're forced to sit next to a piece of fucking trash like Breitbart. I'll never understand why Bill keeps having him on the show.

Top Bottom