• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Ridley327
Member
(07-18-2017, 05:28 PM)
Ridley327's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blader

Whoa. Filming Othello has been tied up in bullshit for like 40 years. That's a big get.

I'm guessing whatever bullshit there was between Oja Kador and Beatrice Welles over The Other Side of the Wind that was resolved also helped to pave the way for Filming Othello to get cleared up, as well.
Fhtagn
Member
(07-18-2017, 05:38 PM)
Fhtagn's Avatar
My local BN seems to have a serious shrinkage problem, they keep having to order stuff for me that the inventory says is in stock. Their Criterion section is twice as large as it needs to be and has a depressing amount of open space and it's about 80% DVD.

I picked up Paris, Texas and Stalker and looked for World on a Wire and Nashville. Impulsively got Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles as well.
Fjordson
Member
(07-18-2017, 06:31 PM)
Fjordson's Avatar
Stalker is technically out today right? Might try to grab that in-store.
Fhtagn
Member
(07-18-2017, 07:12 PM)
Fhtagn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fjordson

Stalker is technically out today right? Might try to grab that in-store.

Yes, I got it in-store earlier today; they had copies on display.
Baron von Loathsome
Member
(07-18-2017, 07:37 PM)
Baron von Loathsome's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fjordson

Stalker is technically out today right? Might try to grab that in-store.

Yeah, they had forgotten to bring them from the back when I got there, though.

Also grabbed Naked Lunch while I was at it.
swoon
Member
(07-18-2017, 07:57 PM)
swoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Megabat

.

- I like the balance of vertical and horizontal space. I feel like you get a lot of vertical information you wouldn't have with a wider format -- or, actually, vertical space gets a fair amount of importance versus width, which inherently deserves to be greater because of human eyesight. There is a potential to be close to a subject without removing it from its environment (or chopping off the tops of towers, arches, etc.). The frames are neat, clean, and legible, sort of like a printed page.

beguiled i think is 1:66 as well. i share you love for it as well. tho academy ratio is the best for everything
Fancy Clown
Member
(07-18-2017, 08:13 PM)
Fancy Clown's Avatar
Obviously it's dependent on the film, but I'm all about the drama of 2:35:1 or 2:40:1 widescreen compositions. I have dudes like Leone and Carpenter to thank for that.
berzeli
Member
(07-19-2017, 02:59 PM)
berzeli's Avatar
The Arrow Summer sale is on!

Some really good titles, and for some really good prices.

A couple of examples:
Branded to Kill £4.99
Time Bandits £4.99
The Tin Drum £4.99
The Human Condition Trilogy £29.99
Dekalog £39.99 (won't go lower than this probably)
Shiv47
Member
(07-19-2017, 06:21 PM)
Shiv47's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ridley327

I'm guessing whatever bullshit there was between Oja Kador and Beatrice Welles over The Other Side of the Wind that was resolved also helped to pave the way for Filming Othello to get cleared up, as well.

A few years ago, Beatrice fired or otherwise got rid of her long time representative, who was the one who basically held many Welles projects hostage through either exorbitant money demands or threat of lawsuits. Since he's been gone, she has been very open to getting projects done. She had nothing to do with Other Side of the Wind, that was all the original financiers and Oja (though apparently the current producers did tell her what their intentions were, she approved). Filming Othello was/is owned by the German TV company he made it for, as I understand it, and the main hold-up to seeing it released was that Beatrice owns Othello, and previously wouldn't allow the footage of it to be used. Obviously she's far more amenable to that these days.
omgkitty
Member
(07-19-2017, 06:36 PM)
omgkitty's Avatar

Originally Posted by berzeli

The Arrow Summer sale is on!

Some really good titles, and for some really good prices.

A couple of examples:
Branded to Kill £4.99
Time Bandits £4.99
The Tin Drum £4.99
The Human Condition Trilogy £29.99
Dekalog £39.99 (won't go lower than this probably)

I basically can't afford to buy any more discs this month now. I picked up 5 more Criterion's last night:

Stalker
Red Desert
Gate of Hell
The Naked Island
The Wages of Fear

And then now this stupid Arrow sale:

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys Vol 2
The Ox-Bow Incident
Too Late for Tears
Woman on the Run
IronRinn
Member
(07-19-2017, 07:32 PM)
IronRinn's Avatar
Stalker package is pretty bare-bones but what-the-fuck-ever it's a Criterion edition of Stalker!
Chained Prometheus
Member
(07-19-2017, 07:38 PM)
Chained Prometheus's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

Stalker package is pretty bare-bones but what-the-fuck-ever it's a Criterion edition of Stalker!

Yeah, that was my reaction to the package when it came in the mail yesterday. Wish there were more to it, but hey I can't complain much with this. It's a Criterion edition of Stalker.
berzeli
Member
(07-21-2017, 03:07 PM)
berzeli's Avatar
Surprise Eureka announcement.
  • A Limited Edition Set (2000 units), Hard Bound slipcase containing an amaray and 100 page book, illustrated with newly commissioned artwork specially for this release
  • 150 minute reconstructed and restored 2010 version (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world) on Blu-ray
  • Metropolis Refound – a 2010 documentary by Evangelina Loguerico exploring the rediscovery of the most complete print of the Fritz Lang masterpiece in an Argentinean film museum
  • Giorgio Moroder presents: Metropolis – the 1984 re-imagining of Metropolis featuring a soundtrack by Moroder himself and artists such as Adam Ant, Pat Benatar, Freddie Mercury and many more
  • The Fading Image – Documentary which goes behind the scenes of Giorgio Moroder’s restoration and scoring
  • Pristine HD transfers (1080p on the Blu-ray discs)
  • The 2001 restoration that was considered the definitive version of the film before the discovery of the Argentina footage
  • 2010 symphony orchestra studio recording of the original 1927 Gottfried Huppertz score in 5.1 (2010 version)
  • Berndt Heller’s arrangement of the Gottfried Huppertz score (2001 version)
  • Optional English subtitles as well as the original German intertitles
  • Full length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum (2010 version)
  • Full length audio commentary by film historian Enno Patalas (2001 version)
  • Die Reise nach Metropolis (2010, 53 minutes), a documentary about the film
  • 2010 re-release trailer
  • A 100-page book featuring extensive writings on the film; interviews with Fritz Lang and a stunning array of rare archival imagery

Fuck me.
IronRinn
Member
(07-21-2017, 05:23 PM)
IronRinn's Avatar
Whoa. Wish that was getting a US release.
Last edited by IronRinn; 07-21-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Fhtagn
Member
(07-21-2017, 05:44 PM)
Fhtagn's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

Stalker package is pretty bare-bones but what-the-fuck-ever it's a Criterion edition of Stalker!

Anyone else get a copy where the booklet was slightly damaged by the interior of the case? Two little tabs on the left edge interior pushed into the booklet?

I checked another recent purchase and that kind of case design had a flat piece of plastic connected to those two tabs, not sure if my case is defective or what.

Not terribly bothered by it but it was a mild bummer to not have it be flawless out of the seal.
GAMEPROFF
Member
(07-21-2017, 05:45 PM)
GAMEPROFF's Avatar

Originally Posted by berzeli

Surprise Eureka announcement.

  • A Limited Edition Set (2000 units), Hard Bound slipcase containing an amaray and 100 page book, illustrated with newly commissioned artwork specially for this release
  • 150 minute reconstructed and restored 2010 version (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world) on Blu-ray
  • Metropolis Refound – a 2010 documentary by Evangelina Loguerico exploring the rediscovery of the most complete print of the Fritz Lang masterpiece in an Argentinean film museum
  • Giorgio Moroder presents: Metropolis – the 1984 re-imagining of Metropolis featuring a soundtrack by Moroder himself and artists such as Adam Ant, Pat Benatar, Freddie Mercury and many more
  • The Fading Image – Documentary which goes behind the scenes of Giorgio Moroder’s restoration and scoring
  • Pristine HD transfers (1080p on the Blu-ray discs)
  • The 2001 restoration that was considered the definitive version of the film before the discovery of the Argentina footage
  • 2010 symphony orchestra studio recording of the original 1927 Gottfried Huppertz score in 5.1 (2010 version)
  • Berndt Heller’s arrangement of the Gottfried Huppertz score (2001 version)
  • Optional English subtitles as well as the original German intertitles
  • Full length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum (2010 version)
  • Full length audio commentary by film historian Enno Patalas (2001 version)
  • Die Reise nach Metropolis (2010, 53 minutes), a documentary about the film
  • 2010 re-release trailer
  • A 100-page book featuring extensive writings on the film; interviews with Fritz Lang and a stunning array of rare archival imagery

Fuck me.

German text fields? How expensive?
berzeli
Member
(07-21-2017, 06:01 PM)
berzeli's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

Whoa. Wish that was getting a US release.

Well at least Kino has put out both the 2010 restoration and Giorgio Moroder presents: Metropolis. Granted as separate releases and with less fancy packaging and less extras.

Originally Posted by Fhtagn

Anyone else get a copy where the booklet was slightly damaged by the interior of the case? Two little tabs on the left edge interior pushed into the booklet?

I checked another recent purchase and that kind of case design had a flat piece of plastic connected to those two tabs, not sure if my case is defective or what.

Not terribly bothered by it but it was a mild bummer to not have it be flawless out of the seal.

I've had a bunch of booklets damaged in a similar fashion upon retrieving them, which is a shame. But it's more of an annoyance than anything else.

Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF

German text fields? How expensive?

Text fields? (If you mean intertitles, then yes they're in German as it says in the description).

25£
Last edited by berzeli; 07-21-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: grammar my are bad
MidnightCowboy
Member
(07-21-2017, 07:05 PM)
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
As much as I like their box sets for individual movies, I think I'd prefer if they just came in regular cases. I'm talking about Blow Up and others. The boxes get damaged so much easier.

Thread Tools