• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Ahasverus
(02-17-2017, 01:14 AM)
Why does every cancelled game look so good?
onemanasylum
Banned

Originally Posted by Loch Doun

Wow fuck Sony for cancelling this, it looks amazing.

Fuck Sony for cancelling a project that was going nowhere and was way over budget and time? Hope you don't run a business.
Xumbrega
wow this looks cool as fuck :/
SDCowboy
(02-17-2017, 01:15 AM)

I always wonder if people who make these kinds of posts on cancelled games actually think the situation through. We know next to nothing about the game. Being mad at Sony for cancelling it makes zero sense when we don't know exactly what happened.
Last edited by SDCowboy; 02-17-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Lime
(02-17-2017, 01:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

Concept and ideas are one thing, while execution is another thing all together
spannicus
(02-17-2017, 01:16 AM)
I want this game. The art looks amazing. Sad we will never see it come to fruition.
Last edited by spannicus; 02-17-2017 at 01:18 AM.
SargerusBR
I love Pokken!
(02-17-2017, 01:17 AM)
Would love to see a Unseen64 video about this project.
HeisenbergWW62
(02-17-2017, 01:19 AM)

Great concepts =/= great games. If they did The Order 1886 would be a GOTG contender and Scalebound would still be coming out
TropicanaTwista
(02-17-2017, 01:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

This looks weird. But not the good kind of weird.

A kind of "yeah, not surprised this was cancelled" kind of weird. Looks like a mish mash of just a bunch of shit.

My thoughts exactly, doesnt seem to have any type of theme. Some of the enemy/Boss looking concepts seem pretty cool, but the actual characters look really meh.

Based on the pics, I wouldnt be too interested in it, but still curious what type of game it was and how the gameplay worked.
sn00zer

Because it's still an idea and ideas are awesome
PSY・S
Doesn't look too interesting.
RexNovis
Banned
(02-17-2017, 01:23 AM)
That artwork is fantastic. Lots of compelling imagery here but there doesn't seem to be much of a cohesive thematic vision linking them all. Seems like there was a lot of work put into trying to nail down the overall art direction for the game. Shame they never got the chance to wrap it all up and deliver.
SDCowboy
(02-17-2017, 01:23 AM)

Concept art tends to almost always look amazing. We have no clue what the actual game looked like.
Last edited by SDCowboy; 02-17-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Bsigg12
(02-17-2017, 01:24 AM)

Pretty much all concept art looks great. It's the actual ideas and pitch to producers where things fall apart.
falconxcrunner09
(02-17-2017, 01:25 AM)
The concept art looks really good. Wasn't this the game where the combat was really bad in the alpha stages or something?
SnowFlakeCake
(02-17-2017, 01:31 AM)
As people have said, the arts all over the place. The best parts for me are the huge monsters, but it's something which could be incorporated into the new God of War game. Stig really fucked the pooch with this game though, I remember it being the game I wanted revealed most for a couple years and then the news came SSM fucked up.
Cuburt
(02-17-2017, 01:31 AM)

lol This flying knee shotgun is so ridiculous, I'm not sure if it's stupidly cool or just impractically stupid. I'm going with the latter since it is the only thing in all that concept art to be so over-the-top.
Endo Punk
(02-17-2017, 01:36 AM)
SSM before Barlog lacked a cohesive vision. The art work looks random like they were throwing darts while blindfolded, no wonder it kept missing deadlines. GOW looks phenomenal and I hope Sony gives SSM another chance with a new IP but Barlog must be at the helm, he is as necessary to SSM success as Druckmann is to ND.
Insane Metal
Dispensed Internet Salt
(02-17-2017, 01:39 AM)

This looks fucking amazing.

Damn, such a shame :/
tiebreaker
(02-17-2017, 01:49 AM)

People will talk about the order 1886 like it would have been the game of the generation if based on concept arts only.
AudioEppa
(02-17-2017, 01:49 AM)

I can't even..

Anyway, some of the art looks cool. But overall meh. I'm really sick of the whole futuristic alien looking animals or people theme. Just want a really deep story game about regular people set in a future world with high tech and luscious graphics. Wait. I think I just described Detroit 😂 Thank god Sony has quantic dream.

I got no problem with Sony canceling this.
NightShift
(02-17-2017, 01:53 AM)
It's a shame because some of those creature designs look really cool and unique. I would have been amazing to see giant underwater kos (kosm) and fire breathing giraffe-things in the clouds. But like what a lot of people have already said, it doesn't look like it had one grand vision and I can see that being what got it cancelled.
zma1013
(02-17-2017, 01:54 AM)
That's a cthulu sea monster with a fake brontosaurus head on it? Like bait for something bigger?
NavyPharaoh
(02-17-2017, 01:55 AM)
This art is all over the place, the humans, crab people, dark beings, dinosaurs, what!
Head.spawn
Oh damn, this was the Stigs project?

Some awesome designs in here.
Raylan
Banned

Originally Posted by Endo Punk

SSM before Barlog lacked a cohesive vision. The art work looks random like they were throwing darts while blindfolded, no wonder it kept missing deadlines. GOW looks phenomenal and I hope Sony gives SSM another chance with a new IP but Barlog must be at the helm, he is as necessary to SSM success as Druckmann is to ND.

I agree with Cory Barlog. More power to him and I hope Sony Santa Monica will get another/second theam.
But Naughty Dog and Druckmann? Nah, it was always Bruce Straley AND Neil Druckmann together. Let's wait and see how TLOU2 ends/plays without Straley.
Last edited by Raylan; 02-17-2017 at 01:58 AM.
LordBaztion
(02-17-2017, 01:58 AM)
Looks more interesting than The Last of Kratos
enzo_gt
tagged by Blackace
(02-17-2017, 02:00 AM)
Man, I'm really not digging any of that art. Seems to really lack clear direction or vision.
AudioEppa
(02-17-2017, 02:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Raylan

I agree with Corey. More power to him and I hope Sony Santa Monica will get another/second theam.
But Naughty Dog and Druckmann? Nah, it was always Bruce Straley AND Neil Druckmann together. Let's wait and see how TLOU2 ends/plays without Straley.

I agree that both of them are a great tag team to naughty dogs games. But I personally feel that Neil on his own, or surrounded by other people can make just as good, if not a better last of us than the first game. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by LordBaztion

Looks more interesting than The Last of Kratos

🤔🤔 No.
Kaizer
(02-17-2017, 02:06 AM)
Artwork is definitely all over the place, but there's some cool looking stuff in there. Really like the fish/sea creature humanoid versus humans stuff. Obviously since it was still just an idea our imaginations can run wild with what it could've been, but it was most likely cancelled for a reason. The new God of War looks amazing anyway, can't wait to see more at E3 this year!
EL CUCO
(02-17-2017, 02:08 AM)
The art work is breaking my heart.
Whompa02
Banned
(02-17-2017, 02:10 AM)
Reminds me a little bit of Avatar. That art is weird. Kind of fascinating that it's so bizarre.
JohnDoe8865
(02-17-2017, 02:13 AM)
Certain parts and pieces look interesting, but it has the feel of a failed new IP if it had been launched IMO. Generic Halo-inspired outfits in some of the "soldier" art, futuristic sci-fi (2034) when the market is being flooded with futuristic sci-fi, some interesting dinosaur-like designs, but a bit bland looking overall as someone said earlier.

Looking at the concept art it was probably for the best.
miller.skippins
(02-17-2017, 02:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Team Andromeda

WAIT !!!!, Thought it was just MS who cancelled IP

Unlike MS though...this game was even officially announced or shown..... :P
miller.skippins
(02-17-2017, 02:15 AM)

i'm sure the concept art for Big Rigs looked cool as well..
Thewonandonly
(02-17-2017, 02:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Obliterator

Wow looking at the concept art it's a damn shame this got canceled. There some major potential here. Loving all the focus on water / water creatures. Not near enough of that in games

Man I'm with you their that kraken think looks fucking incredible. Santa mocnica I don't care if it doesn't fit the lore but make that a boss in god of war please :)
Vidpixel
(02-17-2017, 02:18 AM)
Yeah, looks like a crazy mishmash of Halo, Destiny, Mass Effect and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Art itself is super interesting, but yeah, it's hard to get a clear sense of what they were going for with so many ideas being thrown together.
onanie
(02-17-2017, 02:18 AM)

Originally Posted by onemanasylum

Fuck Sony for cancelling a project that was going nowhere and was way over budget and time? Hope you don't run a business.

Be aware of who that poster is.
The Salt Life
Banned
(02-17-2017, 02:19 AM)
Well that sucks, looks like the type of diversity we needed on ps4, guess I'll settle for robot dinosaurs and a single player campaign.

Insert deep and regrettable sigh either before or after that statement.
ginger ninja
(02-17-2017, 02:21 AM)
Destiny + Mass effect + Star wars + ARK + Dead space = ???

The artwork does look all over the place and I can see how it probably didn't make for a very good sales pitch Yes, I am saying this with zero behind the scenes information
pixelpatr0n
(02-17-2017, 02:24 AM)
I dunno what happened but ever since God of War Ascension I like Santa Monica Studios Art Direction less and less. I don't love any of this. It's just kinda meh and doesn't seem to have any sort of cohesion or direction at all. Just too many elements thrown together and not really all that well.

Hopefully Nordic GOW turns out okay....the E3 trailer was pretty awesome...so hopefully it'll be alright.

I can see why they cancelled this.
Omnistalgic
(02-17-2017, 02:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Team Andromeda

WAIT !!!!, Thought it was just MS who cancelled IP

Defense force is strong with this one...

Anyway, this seems like ripping off a bandaid to a wound here. Why speculate on how awesome something canceled looks? It's canceled. Did Sony say they were keeping anything?

And yeah I see nothing that looks coherent here art wise. Dunno why Santa Monica always has to go gory/ultra violent with the AAA. Get that gOw out of my shooter!
Papacheeks
(02-17-2017, 02:26 AM)
Guess I'm alone in thinking the art looks pretty rad but a lot of it looks like it doesn't translate well to 3D models from some of it. Some of the human characters look super generic, and was this a online game or was it in the vein world wise like Destiny?
Booki
(02-17-2017, 02:31 AM)
Looks like a weird Mass Effect/Fallout game. I like it.
HP_Wuvcraft
(02-17-2017, 02:34 AM)
That giant Angler is super fucking awesome.
Jangowuzhere
Banned
(02-17-2017, 02:34 AM)
I don't like the looks of those designs at all.
aussiedude08
(02-17-2017, 02:40 AM)
looks like it would of been a fun game, some of the human enemy concepts look like the ones from Uncharted 3 in the ship graveyard and others like a Mass Effect style alien.
mysteriousmage09
(02-17-2017, 02:43 AM)
Some of the artwork is great while some is ehhhh. Trying to piece all these various artworks together and comprehend it all blending together into a single game is something else.
Papacheeks
(02-17-2017, 02:44 AM)

Originally Posted by mysteriousmage09

Some of the artwork is great while some is ehhhh. Trying to piece all these various artworks together and comprehend it all blending together into a single game is something else.

Yea, kind of my outlook on it currently.
Luigiv
(02-17-2017, 02:49 AM)
God damn those are some boring designs. I can see why this never got off the ground.