Apathy
(02-17-2017, 02:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Team Andromeda

WAIT !!!!, Thought it was just MS who cancelled IP

hey junior, this was never announced and then cancelled
DrD
(02-17-2017, 02:52 AM)

Originally Posted by TropicanaTwista

My thoughts exactly, doesnt seem to have any type of theme. Some of the enemy/Boss looking concepts seem pretty cool, but the actual characters look really meh.

Based on the pics, I wouldnt be too interested in it, but still curious what type of game it was and how the gameplay worked.

Shinobi gave some details on the game back in 2015.

Originally Posted by shinobi602

Darkside was definitely an interesting concept. RPG mechanics, customization, vehicles, post apocalyptic open world...things just didn't come together, milestone reviews failed. Trying to get that action-melee combat working with guns wasn't easy.

It looks like they were trying to do way too much, it sounds like it had pretty much everything you can add to a game.
mreddie
(02-17-2017, 02:53 AM)
Looks okay but doesn't have a key look.

Like Horizon, D2D, even Order had a look that said, I'll play that.
Plywood
NeoGAF's smiling token!
(02-17-2017, 02:58 AM)
Concept art is all over the place. They made the right call.
arcticice
(02-17-2017, 04:21 AM)
Looks pretty interesting
FarFromAnyGame
Banned
(02-17-2017, 04:32 AM)
I dunno man but i'm glad it's cancelled. It doesn't look interesting in any way other than "that's good artwork".

Remember Horizon's concept art? That looked like something I wanna play.
Baroquemantic
(02-17-2017, 04:34 AM)
Some of that artwork looks really amazing. I love thee aquatic stuff in particular.
many places
(02-17-2017, 04:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Turkoop

This one is amazin

I cant believe this has been cancelled. So much potential...

Damn that is sick!

Big ass leviathan looking creature or something.
Nightengale
(02-17-2017, 04:37 AM)
The only really interesting part of the whole tone of the artwork is the sense of scale that's present in parts of the style.
paragonpro
(02-17-2017, 04:38 AM)
This stung, god i hope they bring this back, all of this looks rad, kind of like what i initially hoped destiny would be.
Akainu
(02-17-2017, 05:00 AM)
Not a fan of the art direction.
kontonChaos
(02-17-2017, 05:35 AM)
Looks to me me like a generic scifi game to me. It's pretty hard to make a game that follows its concept art and translate it to game play.
BigTnaples
Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
(02-17-2017, 05:39 AM)
Fuck.

Those sea creatures looks amazing.
msdstc
Incredibly Naive
(02-17-2017, 05:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Falchion

Holy shit, getting major Destiny vibes from all that art.

That was rumored to be a big reason why it was cancelled. Supposedly given sonys ties with destiny this was going to launch alongside destiny and it was going to essentially be drowned out. So they tried to repurpose the game and change it up a bit, but could never really get on track.

Look it's been said time and time again about this game... they were not hitting their deadlines at all. The game according to insiders was a messss, so people saying "aww damn cmon it looks awesome", this is CONCEPT ART. How can you know if the game was going to be good? Besides I'm with the minority in here, this looks generic and unfocused to me.
The Lone Courier
(02-17-2017, 05:58 AM)
Damn shame looked awesome and unique.
Hydrargyrus
(02-17-2017, 05:59 AM)
Looked awesome, but every game look awesome by the concept art...
Iva Demilcol
(02-17-2017, 06:06 AM)
That Kraken looks terrifying.
Archtreyz
(02-17-2017, 06:09 AM)
What is Sony Santa Monica working on now? The concept art looks great, but of course there has to be a reason they'd just kill this project. Anyways, it looks like it could have been cool.
M.Prashanth
(02-17-2017, 06:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Archtreyz

What is Sony Santa Monica working on now? The concept art looks great, but of course there has to be a reason they'd just kill this project. Anyways, it looks like it could have been cool.

I am going to assume you have no idea about the God of War game that debut at the E3 2016 Sony presser with gameplay demo, set in Norse Mythology?
Prototype
(02-17-2017, 06:12 AM)
Art looks uninspired. Very samey destiny/dragon age/big budget style that's growing pretty thin.
Probably good it got cancelled.
krang
(02-17-2017, 06:12 AM)
This was cancelled in favour of more God of War?

Shame.
bonej
(02-17-2017, 06:13 AM)
Mix is very strange. Why all the monsters which look like horror and do not fit at all
Prototype Viktor
(02-17-2017, 06:14 AM)
So many grey white people in those images. We need more grey white people and very little white white people like also in the images
DirgeExtinction
(02-17-2017, 06:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

Why does every cancelled game look so good?

Things can look good, doesn't mean they actually work/play well.
ronaldthump
Banned
(02-17-2017, 06:18 AM)
its a bit like Lost planet meets Mass Effect.
PeakPointMatrix
(02-17-2017, 06:20 AM)
Dinosaurs, sea monsters, merpeople, aliens, sci-fi elements... come on guys, it's not hard to picture why this was cancelled. It's like it took a page out of every Hollywood fantasy/scifi epic and put it together. It's like a bunch of elements a bunch of coked up concept writers scream out they think their world should have without any cohesion.

That's not to say it isn't breathtaking work; every piece is visually interesting. But I could see how they had trouble weaving it together and Sony losing faith in investing what looked to have been an expensive, massive undertaking.
Spyder_Monkey
Who wants to bet that one of the reasons they cancelled it was that it was similar to Destiny and there was no way in hell they could compete.
OléGunner
I've been waiting for this leak for 5 years, been itching to see what Stig and has team were working on.
The concept art looks interesting to me, with SSM graphics engine this could've been a looker.

Originally Posted by krang

This was cancelled in favour of more God of War?

Shame.

It wasn't cancelled in favour of more God of War, that was probably always going to come out at some point.

This game simply wasn't coming together as required, read Shinobi's quoted post above.

Originally Posted by Spyder_Monkey

Who wants to bet that one of the reasons they cancelled it was that it was similar to Destiny and there was no way in hell they could compete.

Yeah I also remember reading rumours that in addition to Darkside not meeting milestones, a similar game in Destiny was also on the way which helped contribute to the decision to cancel.
Last edited by OléGunner; 02-17-2017 at 06:23 AM.
PeakPointMatrix
(02-17-2017, 06:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

Why does every cancelled game look so good?

Concept art more often than not will always look amazing. Now chiseling it down to a shippable product is where things either fall apart or gets watered down out of necessity due to budget and time.
-duskdoll-
(02-17-2017, 06:23 AM)
Damn, the concept art looks good. It's a shame it didn't work out.
Archtreyz
(02-17-2017, 06:23 AM)

Originally Posted by M.Prashanth

I am going to assume you have no idea about the God of War game that debut at the E3 2016 Sony presser with gameplay demo, set in Norse Mythology?

Surely theyre working on something else besides that though. They're a really big studio, and I thought they had multiple teams.
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(02-17-2017, 06:24 AM)
Looks good. ND should transform this into Savage Starlight game or something....
Gen X
Trust no one. Eat steaks.
(02-17-2017, 06:25 AM)

Originally Posted by SprachBrooks

That concept art looks all over the place and pretty amateurish.

Well it is concept art and doesn't mean it would've all been used had development continued.
Nightengale
(02-17-2017, 06:25 AM)
Destiny might have been a factor, but the fact that Days Gone exist means that's it's a negligible factor in a longer list of reasons that can be summed up with "game was a mess that failed milestones over and over"

Also, no, it wasn't cancelled in favour of God of War. Santa Monica was set up for a two game studio that was going to make this and GOW simultaneously but the cancellation of this meant this project got cancelled and replaced with NOTHING.
ElBoxyBrown
(02-17-2017, 06:27 AM)

Originally Posted by SprachBrooks

That concept art looks all over the place and pretty amateurish.

Not focused? Sure. But I'd hardly call it amateurish. There are a lot of nice designs that stand alone.
Aalvi
(02-17-2017, 06:27 AM)
I thought the game was called cancelled for a sec
OléGunner
(02-17-2017, 06:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Nightengale

Destiny might have been a factor, but the fact that Days Gone exist means that's it's a negligible factor in a longer list of reasons that can be summed up with "game was a mess that failed milestones over and over".

Agreed.
Even if Destiny didn't exist, this game would've been canned.

Originally Posted by Aalvi

I thought the game was called cancelled for a sec

Eh? It has been cancelled for years lol
Before anyone even knew this project existed.
Wozman23
(02-17-2017, 06:39 AM)
I can't recall, but I got the feeling it was pretty far along, so now I want to see a playable build leak.

The art is definitely all over the place, but often times experimenting with art styles and differing concepts produces varied results. The human looking stuff is underwhelming, but the dino/creature/alien stuff seemed to have some potential.
KOHIPEET
(02-17-2017, 06:42 AM)
Concept art definitely looks good, it would be nice to know the story behind.

Edit:
This one's my favourite.
Last edited by KOHIPEET; 02-17-2017 at 06:44 AM.
dreamlongdead
(02-17-2017, 06:44 AM)
The art looks lame in my opinion.

It's not really a big loss. God of War is definitely the right call for Sony Santa Monica, and it looks fantastic. Cory Barlog did a fantastic job with GoW II, and the new one has me hyped.

I like new series, but the ideas need to be executed well.
Spyder_Monkey
(02-17-2017, 06:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Nightengale

Destiny might have been a factor, but the fact that Days Gone exist means that's it's a negligible factor in a longer list of reasons that can be summed up with "game was a mess that failed milestones over and over"

Also, no, it wasn't cancelled in favour of God of War. Santa Monica was set up for a two game studio that was going to make this and GOW simultaneously but the cancellation of this meant this project got cancelled and replaced with NOTHING.

Not for the most part but it didn't help that a similar game that Sony was marketing alongside the Playstation was being made.

God of War was always going to happen though.
Mory Dunz
(02-17-2017, 06:46 AM)
....doesn't look good
Bishop89
(02-17-2017, 06:48 AM)
It looks amazing and I like what I'm seeing way more than Destiny.
Oh well
Skeletron
(02-17-2017, 06:57 AM)
Looks like Mass Effect Mermaid Planet or something. Not surprised it got canned.
Gurish
(02-17-2017, 07:04 AM)
It really looks kind of bland and boring to be honest, not any personality is in there, I think the cancellation was for the best in this case.
kenta
Has no PEINS
(02-17-2017, 07:06 AM)
The artists are clearly skilled but the style is repellent... goofy armor on the humans, grody alien things, weird creatures (and not in an oddly-acceptable Geiger way). None of the art in that album makes me want to spend any time in that world
zoukka
(02-17-2017, 07:08 AM)
I dunno it seems like a mish-mash of too many things, can't get a clear picture of what they were after.
Spiral Insanity
Banned
(02-17-2017, 07:14 AM)
Looks too much like Destiny/Mass Effect. Not distinctive.
Corpsepyre
(02-17-2017, 08:02 AM)
I'm glad we got to see concept art for this. Was supposed to be an open world third person shooter, with vehicles and more. I can clearly see some of that here, but also a lot more. I had kept up this this through linked in and more over the years,and kept wondering when we will get to see it. Oh well...I like a lot of the art, but it's obvious this was all over the place.
Stilton Disco
(02-17-2017, 08:07 AM)
Looks good, though character faces are butt ugly, but I can't say this screams 'fun game concept' to me in the same way Horizon's concept art did.