• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

Shooting script of that episode made the black lodge its own separate thing, it looked like a shadow version of the great northern or something if I recall things correctly. Lynch just overhauled that as the director and turned it into the earlier seen red room. I don't think he sees any of them as separate things to be honest, but I guess the white lodge is kept ambiguous.

Do consider that the 'good' spirits like the giant appear in the same place too though.

Yeah true. I think I read somewhere that the Red Room initially was something that was just a dream place of Coop and later on became the Black Lodge.
Let us just enjoy the weirdness and not analyse it to death ;)

Well overall it's a lot of focus on Lynch, positive focus, because they can't say anything about what they watched, but my translation of that part would be this:

"What we can say is that Twin Peaks looks and 'feels' like the original. Horror and humor go hand in glove in this season too. People laughed at the right moments in the cinema - but mostly the actors and technical staff, and perhaps just a bit too hard."

So yeah, I guess the writer just got annoyed by it at some point? It's a bit strange. But his point is that the the humor's there, so yeah.

Alright thanks. I somehow doubt the humor is too overbearing. I really will be surprised if this manages to strike a similar balance to the original run throughout. Or not...Mulholland was all Lynch and he packed plenty of goofs in there. I was always curious, in terms of writing who the more comedy centric of the two was, Frost or Lynch? You'd assume the former given the latter's filmography, but David still manages to pack in a good amount in things like Mulholland and Wild At Heart. Could be due to influence during Peaks though?

OH! one last story before I have to do housework and stop slacking.

My wife is a vet and she's still friends with a handful of her classmates from vet school. About a year ago a friend of hers who was doing some relief vet work in Snohomish, WA saw a client with a sick dog. The Woman kept asking my wife's friend if she knew who she was. She didn't. The woman asked her if she'd heard of twin peaks. She hadn't. My wife's friend kept reaching for the dog so she could examine it but the woman wouldn't let her and kept asking her if she looked familiar. The woman finally revealed that she was Sheryl Lee which still meant nothing to my wife's friend. She told her that they were filming the new season of Twin Peaks.

Even when she was recounting this story to my wife and I it was with annoyance that some narcissist actor came into her clinic and wouldn't let her treat her dog before laboriously explaining who she was.

Well that's a story about Sheryl I wish I didn't know :/

It doesn't excuse the "celeb card" behavior but she had a rough go of it with health issues post TP didn't she? Kinda set back her career iirc. I dunno maybe she temporarily got a big head over the commotion of returning to the show so suddenly. I heard she's nice at conventions and the like, didn't peg her to the type to do that.

WriterGK

Found it:

I'm assuming by Red Room he means interchangeable with the Lodges. It can't all be the waiting area!

I know, I mentioned that in my post lol. Was Google translated.

I am Dutch so thats why I wondered. But basically these last two years NRC is getting really weird paper with stupid articles. Basically said no one can say anything content wise about the show untill Monday.

Reckoner

Alright thanks. I somehow doubt the humor is too overbearing. I really will be surprised if this manages to strike a similar balance to the original run throughout. Or not...Mulholland was all Lynch and he packed plenty of goofs in there. I was always curious, in terms of writing who the more comedy centric of the two was, Frost or Lynch? You'd assume the former given the latter's filmography, but David still manages to pack in a good amount in things like Mulholland and Wild At Heart. Could be due to influence during Peaks though?

Don't forget this one on Lost Highway.

I remember when I watched that for the first time I laughed so much... I couldn't even believe what I'd just watched.

That's not how I understood it. According to Hawk you had to go through the Black Lodge to get to the White Lodge. The Red Room seems to be part of the Black Lodge. Shadow selfs can escape the Black Lodge.

You guys are taking my post way too literal. I didn't mean they were actually the Christian or Alighieri concepts. They are alternate dimensions, that deal with good and evil, where one faces ones actions.

They fall into the basic concepts of generic Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory. The white lodge being a sanctuary or Heaven. The Black lodge being a trial or place of punishment or Hell. The Red Room is literally a waiting room, which is Purgatory.

Joqu

Lynch can be very funny, so I'd say it's both of them.

But I also doubt it'll be that similar to the original run throughout in terms of humor. I think it'll be that way in plenty of parts but I imagine we'll also be getting some damn bleak episodes. But who knows what balance the first few strike, we'll find that out soon enough.

But hey, that article also says season 3 looks similar and I somewhat doubt that too?

You can't use Showtime Anytime or the regular Showtime app with Sling, no. You have to watch it through the Sling app.

I added Showtime to my package and I know it added several Showtime-branded channels to my Sling channels. I know I'll be able to watch the premier live.

My primary concern is how I will watch episodes 3&4 on my television. I'm new to the Roku set up, so I'm still figuring it out. Is there a Showtime Anytime app for my Roku I can log in to with my Sling credentials?

I added Showtime to my package and I know it added several Showtime-branded channels to my Sling channels. I know I'll be able to watch the premier live.

My primary concern is how I will watch episodes 3&4 on my television. I'm new to the Roku set up, so I'm still figuring it out. Is there a Showtime Anytime app for my Roku I can log in to with my Sling credentials?

There is a Showtime Anytime app on Roku, but you can't​ access it with Sling unfortunately. I do think that Sling's On Demand for premium cable channels match regular subs for it so episode 3 & 4 should be available at the same time as it is on Showtime Anytime anyway. I think anyway

Joqu

Oh, that's cool. Man, I'm so nervous, lol.
Also, what happened to Diane?

DPGswqA.gif

(we don't know. but I can't imagine she won't be a part of it?)

Don't forget this one on Lost Highway.

I remember when I watched that for the first time I laughed so much... I couldn't even believe what I'd just watched.

How could I forget, Mr Eddy is black comedy incarnate.

Lynch can be very funny, so I'd say it's both of them.

But I also doubt it'll be that similar to the original run throughout in terms of humor. I think it'll be that way in plenty of parts but I imagine we'll also be getting some damn bleak episodes. But who knows what balance the first few strike, we'll find that out soon enough.

But hey, that article also says season 3 looks similar and I somewhat doubt that too?

Yeah the look thing threw me too, its obv in a much different direction visually with the digital, though interior shots seem to be retaining aspects of the original's vibrant tones. Who knows maybe the trailers didn't have the final color timing, or whoever wrote that article has terrible judgment lol.

grumpy

You guys are taking my post way too literal. I didn't mean they were actually the Christian or Alighieri concepts. They are alternate dimensions, that deal with good and evil, where one faces ones actions.

They fall into the basic concepts of generic Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory. The white lodge being a sanctuary or Heaven. The Black lodge being a trial or place of punishment or Hell. The Red Room is literally a waiting room, which is Purgatory.

What if
Club Silencio
from Mulholland Drive is part of the Black Lodge / Hell?

Anyone remember this picture / theory from a few years back about how
those two ladies in the club are actually Laura Palmer and Ronette Pulaski?
I mean,
Naomi Watts
is part of the cast for the new season of Twin Peaks after all. Imagine the possibilities! What if David Lynch was building his own cinematic universe all this time?

RbLE9qV.jpg

prolly not

There is a Showtime Anytime app on Roku, but you can't​ access it with Sling unfortunately. I do think that Sling's On Demand for premium cable channels match regular subs for it so episode 3 & 4 should be available at the same time as it is on Showtime Anytime anyway. I think anyway

Thank you for all the help. I'll find out for sure tomorrow night.

Welp, just watched FWWM with the girl I'm dating, who barely got into Twin Peaks now in time for season 3. Yeah... She was definitely expecting the quirkiness from the show lol.

Diane was a person. There's times where Cooper asks her for something and later on he remarks that he got it.

I believe this is a quirk of the show.

He asks her for ear plugs and, if I remember correctly, they arrive more quickly than would actually be possible. I don't believe there is a "logical" explanation for Diane - at least not in the show itself.

It's more fun to imagine Cooper addresses the tape recorder as Diane because he finds it easier to speak aloud to another person rather than talk to himself, even if that person is made up.

nachum00

Always thought it was pretty obvious Diane was a person. Its not like Zach in Deadly Premonition where the main character is crazy and talks to himself.

hydruxo

- Yahoo: ‘Twin Peaks’ Season 3: A Spoiler-Free Report From the Premiere

They say it's spoiler-free but there are some slightly spoilery details below, so read at your own risk. Though they are rather vague and got me more excited personally.

To give specific spoilers would ruin the experience — trust me, this is a show that thrives on surprise — but here are a few things you might want to know, spelled out in a suitably vague and cryptic manner.
• The best new face… does not have a face.
• One actor plays two characters, and wears a hilarious wig for one of them.
• There is a shocking moment that is among the scariest things I’ve ever seen on TV.
• The new opening credits may have some viewers reaching for the Dramamine.
• Episode 2 uses a song by the Chromatics that may haunt your playlists for weeks.
• The first two episodes alternate between cryptic, terrifying, and hilarious. There was as much laughter as there were gasps.
• Though advertised as a “new season” of Twin Peaks, these episodes felt more like a revival of ALL of David Lynch’s work. Parts of it felt very Blue Velvet and Lost Highway, with some imagery from Eraserhead mixed in.

Flipyap

Ugh I feel conflicted about whether or not to read it. Duder kinda broke the nda with that no? That's what folks at dugpa seem to think.
I regret reading it, just a little bit. It's not really spoilers, but it does answer some questions we've been asking about the structure and tone of the show which might have been a fun (if ultimately meaningless) surprise.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Subbed to Showtime through Amazon, let's go.
I did as well, and now I'm wondering when it'll go up on the service. I don't like watching anything that requires lots of attention on Mondays. It's the most stressful day of the week at the office, so I usually have a double dose of edibles when I get home.

DJMicLuv

It's got to have been answered already, so I'm sorry for being a cunt but what are my options for watching in the UK besides Sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom