• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

cacildo

Yet at the same time, people complain that they don't talk about upcoming games enough until 2 months before release...

yeah, but...

suppose they start to talk a lot about X. Battle system, story, online integration, etc etc

i could hear a lot about it before getting annoyed. Good 2-3 months of nintendo directs and PR text and even E3 time, all fine

But Donkey Kong and Pikmin3..........? I know how these games work, what they look like. Theres not enough new things to talk about both games

Aside from Cranky Kong

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm skeptical of anything until Nintendo actually announces things. I feel we would've seen more of the game (in terms of characters and videos) if it were that close, but we'll see.

But this came from Nintendo. Straight from a NoE GM. He said Spring.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wouldn't Mario Kart and Smash make more sense as titles in the latter half of the year? At least one of them? I see that they released Smash & Kart in March and April for the Wii. I guess Nintendo really needs to get sales momentum going into 2014 so that third parties will consider making titles for the 2014 holidays. Like if Watch Dogs sold decently on Wii U, they could hopefully keep Ubisoft on board at least?

I still think at best we should be expecting Mario Kart and Smash at least two months apart. Otherwise I'd just expect a spike at the beginning of the year and then nothing to keep interest after that.... we've seen Animal Crossing does much better on handhelds and I kind of doubt they've come up with something that amazing in time for 2014 holidays.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wouldn't Mario Kart and Smash make more sense as titles in the latter half of the year? At least one of them? I see that they released Smash & Kart in March and April for the Wii. I guess Nintendo really needs to get sales momentum going into 2014 so that third parties will consider making titles for the 2014 holidays. Like if Watch Dogs sold decently on Wii U, they could hopefully keep Ubisoft on board at least?

Mario Kart maybe would make sense to be for the holiday, but I don't see SSB 4 having a very different impact if it is launched in spring or during the holiday. It's not your typical game to drive Christmas shopping. It has a clear target population and it might even perform better in spring than in the very crowded fall. Plus it will be a double impact, having these 2 games launching close one after another. It would be quite a value proposition, get Wii U for these 2 games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My bet is Animal Crossing. Because of the Animal Crossing Plaza that expires at the end of 2014. There is no other logic for its existence than for preparation of the Wii U game.

jmizzal

I don't know where to post it and I don't think it deserves a thread. If someone is interested there's an interview of Bernd Fakesch, German Nintendo General Manager, where he hints a spring window release for Super Smash Bros., alongside MK8.

Rough tranlsation:

Smash Bros have been popping up at retailers with a Spring Date so I can see that happening.

And we do need a Nintendo Direct, I dont like the idea of Nintendo going into 2014 with only one game with a release date, and Mario is just spring and everything else is TBA 2014, TBA and unnannounced.

They need to talk about the announced games, remember the big Jan. ND last year was all unannounced games. No reason to wait til Jan again to talk about announced games for 2014.

jmizzal

I still think at best we should be expecting Mario Kart and Smash at least two months apart. Otherwise I'd just expect a spike at the beginning of the year and then nothing to keep interest after that.... we've seen Animal Crossing does much better on handhelds and I kind of doubt they've come up with something that amazing in time for 2014 holidays.

The thing is they released Brawl and Mario Kart on Wii back to back when they didnt even need to Wii was selling great, they couldve set on Mario Kart until summer after Brawl got delayed.

With WiiU they need those games out, if they are both ready, Nintendo would be foolish to sit on them for later in the year. I'm sure they will have other games for fall, remember we didnt know much about most of the upcoming WiiU games until Jan this year.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
My bet is Animal Crossing. Because of the Animal Crossing Plaza that expires at the end of 2014. There is no other logic for its existence than for preparation of the Wii U game.

I still think Animal Crossing isn't a big enough title to carry Nintendo's 2014 holiday on a console like the Wii U. In your scenario, Mario Kart & Smash would have been released over 6 months ago at that point, which seems too far ahead in my opinion. I guess Nintendo has to take that chance instead of letting the Wii U die for another 8 months until the 2014 holidays.

The thing is they released Brawl and Mario Kart on Wii back to back when they didnt even need to Wii was selling great, they couldve set on Mario Kart until summer after Brawl got delayed.

With WiiU they need those games out, if they are both ready, Nintendo would be foolish to sit on them for later in the year. I'm sure they will have other games for fall, remember we didnt know much about most of the upcoming WiiU games until Jan this year.

These games don't just come out of nowhere imo though. What we know so far is probably a lot of the stuff they've been planning/working on the past 2 years. Basically I'm trying to think of what teams Nintendo may have free to work on this title.

We've got Retro at least mostly on DKC.
EAD Tokyo just finished with Mario 3D World.
The Zelda team finished Link between Worlds and WW HD and likely is working on Zelda U. (These guys seem swamped imo.)
Monolith is working on X. (new part helped on Link Between Worlds)
Part of Platinum is on Bayonetta 2 (as they seemed to work on W101 and Bayo 2 concurrently).
Fire Emblem guys either on FE x SMT or a new game of some sort, likely an SRPG. They at least finished Awakening mostly early 2012.
Good Feel on Yarn Yoshi.
Sakurai & Sora & Namco helpers on Smash.
Mario Kart team on Mario Kart.
Namco help on Wii Sports Club.

So what teams are somewhat open? The folks that worked on NSMBU at least partly worked on Luigi U. Maybe they started on something late 2012. Pikmin 3 folks finished recently, so apart from the DLC, I'm sure part of their team has started on something else. Miyamoto's secret project exists. Animal Crossing team finished New Leaf end of 2012. I think the Pokemon company will have SOMETHING for Wii U in the next 2 years (aka not Rumble or some low-cost effort), because they are a huge untapped resource and the Wii U needs it. We've got the small new teams like Grezzo that worked on the Streetpass games. I think we maybe have 1 or 2 more titles that could potentially come out in 2014 that we don't know about, but I think we've heard most of what Nintendo is working on, considering we even heard about weird cross-overs like FExSMT.

So what could Nintendo squeeze out of third parties?
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for next holidays? Monster Hunter 4 did well, so Nintendo might be able to get another 3DS/Wii U simultaneous release.
If Watch Dogs did well, maybe Ubisoft could contribute with some multi-platform efforts....
Lego games, Disney, Skylanders, Just Dance... hopefully

Anything else though?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still think Animal Crossing isn't a big enough title to carry Nintendo's 2014 holiday on a console like the Wii U. In your scenario, Mario Kart & Smash would have been released over 6 months ago at that point, which seems too far ahead in my opinion.

But it wouldn't the only game for holidays 2014. There are still dates to be announced for Bayonetta 2, X, Yoshi, smt x fire emblem, new IP from Miyamoto, new EAD game, the full Wii Sports Club package. And this is just what we know.

Edit: meanwhile you wrote more and better than me.

Draconian

But it wouldn't the only game for holidays 2014. There are still dates to be announced for Bayonetta 2, X, Yoshi, smt x fire emblem, new IP from Miyamoto, new EAD game, the full Wii Sports Club package. And this is just what we know.

I think Bayonetta 2 will be in the summer. X and Yoshi in the fall. I don't know about SMT x Fire Emblem. The game may not be ready at all this year as they showed just a trailer with logos last year.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Edit: meanwhile you wrote more and better than me.

Apart from Bayonetta 2, or whatever Miyamoto's cooking up, the others just seem like weak support. X will likely be an amazing game, but unless it turns out to be a lot bigger than Xenoblade, I still can't see it making a huge impact. Maybe if there were other RPGs to support it at least... Well I guess the support is from Mario Kart & Smash then.. .Oh well, I can't say I wouldn't be happy. We'll see.

I think Bayonetta 2 will be in the summer. X and Yoshi in the fall. I don't know about SMT x Fire Emblem. The game may not be ready at all this year as they showed just a trailer with logos last year.

Yoshi just seems like one of those titles could be dropped at any time to me =(. Like you said, I don't think SMT x FE is remotely close to being released yet. Hopefully we'll start seeing new and interesting IPs from Nintendo/Miyamoto then once the mainstays are out the door.

Draconian

Yoshi just seems like one of those titles could be dropped at any time to me =(. Like you said, I don't think SMT x FE is remotely close to being released yet. Hopefully we'll start seeing new and interesting IPs from Nintendo/Miyamoto then once the mainstays are out the door.

Do we know what to expect from Miyamoto's new IP? Has he or anyone at Nintendo hinted anything about it at all other than it being in development?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Apart from Bayonetta 2, or whatever Miyamoto's cooking up, the others just seem like weak support. X will likely be an amazing game, but unless it turns out to be a lot bigger than Xenoblade, I still can't see it making a huge impact. Maybe if there were other RPGs to support it at least...

There should be also one more Sonic (Sega?) exclusive title. And Iwata said they have more collaborations with 3rd parties like the SMT x fire emblem. (And I agree with Draconian that SMT x fire emblem probably won't come in 2014). There is also the Steel Diver F2P game, although it is not clear if it is for Wii U or 3ds. I think they will manage at list 10 retail releases for 2014: Wii Fit U, DKC, Wii Sports Club (with golf, baseball & box included), SSB, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Miyamoto IP (and/or what is EAD already working on according to the info we have), Yoshi, X, Animal Crossing, Sonic exclusive

Zalman

Is that confirmed?

D-e-f-

Banned
Do we know what to expect from Miyamoto's new IP? Has he or anyone at Nintendo hinted anything about it at all other than it being in development?

He said in the past he wanted to work on small titles/projects. There was something foggy about a f2p Steel Diver but I don't recall where that was from or if that would involve him.

Could really be anything.

Is that confirmed?

No. Iwata said it is a possibility they might explore in the future. (= coming next summer to a store near you) ;)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is that confirmed?

Not officially. But the golf is already finished (NoA posted some video on twitter last week I think) and that seemed the most complex game from the remaining 3. And think the next sports will come quite soon on eshop. And I will be surprised if Nintendo will not release some kind of a bundle with Wii Sports Club and a wii remote plus next summer.

Zalman

Not officially. But the golf is already finished (NoA posted some video on twitter last week I think) and that seemed the most complex game from the remaining 3. And think the next sports will come quite soon on eshop. And I will be surprised if Nintendo will not release some kind of a bundle with Wii Sports Club and a wii remote plus next summer.
I would totally jump on that.

prag16

Banned

That'd be quite the kick in the nuts if that's the "big" holiday title (amid not much else of note).

Until we hear something certain, I'm assuming big holiday games are Smash (2014), Zelda (2015), and a 64/Galaxy successor (2016).

Okay, that last one might be wishful thinking at this juncture...

Draconian

That'd be quite the kick in the nuts if that's the "big" holiday title (amid not much else of note).

Until we hear something certain, I'm assuming big holiday games are Smash (2014), Zelda (2015), and a 64/Galaxy successor (2016).

I don't think you're too far off with the last one. The Iwata Asks for Super Mario 3D World indicates they will go in that direction, but I'd imagine it'd be out earlier than that.

maxcriden

Speaking of wishful thinking, I'm still hoping to see Zelda for Holiday 2014....

Some Nobody

Yet at the same time, people complain that they don't talk about upcoming games enough until 2 months before release...

They're both right. Personally I like hearing information about a game when I know its months away. It's the closest I can get to playing the game since demos are a thing of the past, and only happen when a game's almost out now anyway. But when a game is like, a month or two away? That's when things like story spoilers or really cool things they've kept hidden are likely to come out and at that point I don't really want to know any more about the game.

But, I also think Nintendo's got the right idea. We hype too much these days. There's a thread right now talking about how awesome a future game will be...when we absolutely know for certain that game isn't even coming out next year. That's what the never-ending hype machine has done to us: now we talk about games we barely know anything about that aren't anywhere near release. Soon we'll be hyping rumored games from developers as much as we do games that are close to being on store shelves.

Oh wait. :p

prag16

Banned
I don't think you're too far off with the last one. The Iwata Asks for Super Mario 3D World indicates they will go in that direction, but I'd imagine it'd be out earlier than that.

I could see it being the "last big game" for Wii U late 2016. Alternatively, if they somehow get Zelda out for holiday 2014, perhaps this could be the big 2015 holiday game.

Or a launch title for the next home console..

Why, if we would get SSB earlier ?

That's great and all, but I was speaking mostly in terms of supporting the console's appeal for holiday 2014. Animal Crossing won't do squat...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's great and all, but I was speaking mostly in terms of supporting the console's appeal for holiday 2014. Animal Crossing won't do squat...

SSB won't add anything for holidays either. It wil sell the console to the fan base whenever it's launched. It's not like SSB would be such a great Christmas present. And Animal Crossing is rather better in this aspect. If you add Yoshi and maybe the new IP from Miyamoto shouldn't be that bad. Different time, different target.

Draconian

I am just skimming this thread but the idea of a HD animal crossing would make me die.

please Nintendo?

I'm sure it's coming. Didn't they say Animal Crossing Plaza was only going to be a limited time thing? So, I bet when Animal Crossing U comes out, it will either go away or be integrated into it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Animal Crossing Plaza will expire in December 2014. This is what I'm basing my speculation on. If there is no AC games in November 2014 the whole plaza thing was for nothing. Is just so obvious.

Hiltz

The Pikmin 3/ New SMBU team were probably assigned to assist in future projects this year from other EAD teams, so perhaps they didn't have enough time dedicated to new projects beyond early prototype builds.

I've been thinking.

Nintendo should consider instead of appeasing casuals, and their main IPs like Mario Kart and Smash, they need to try and do more of what core gamers want.

For example:

- Bring back Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid, more of their big boy franchises that people on GAF all the time beg for, people who say "do that, and I'll buy a Wii U right now".

- Exclusives from the biggest IPs, now GTA is too big to get, but get Capcom to make Monster Hunter 5 a Wii U exclusive, a Wii U exclusive Tales (THAT WON'T GET PORTED TWO YEARS LATER), a TRUE Dragon Quest XI (non of this MMO crap), and the like, and they win Japan right there. For the west they can maybe get like an exclusive Skylanders, Disney Infinity 2, I'm struggling to think of western core exclusives because they don't do that much in NA and EU much anyone, whoever the platform holder.

- REVIVE DEAD GAMES! Bayonetta 2 is the start, now continue with games like Cry On by Mistwalker and MAQL, why? Because they're games that already began development and might require far less money, they won't be blockbuster sellers, but can add more spice to the line-up, how about Prey 2 with the rumors of folks working with Nintendo?

- Too late but they should've made Wii U uber easy to port PS360 games without a hitch, it's evident the CPU among other things is too gimped and 99% of ports run worse. Maybe Most Wanted wasn't CPU intensive or real effort made it better than the PS360 versions, I'm not sure, but so many ports are worse off. :(

- BE AMBITIOUS!!! Make Pokemon RadiantRuby and SparklingSapphire Wii U exclusives, BOOM, test the waters with full-fledged remakes rather than a new gen, of course Gen 7 being Wii U exclusive would be the best, but still, JUST DO IT. Everyone's begging for true console Pokemon RPG's by GameFreak, stop being uptight about the series being handheld-focused, you can afford to give it a shot you know?

- NEW STUDIOS, you have like half of Rare now gone from the Rare and MS who would be first in line to work with you guys again, make a new EU studio with veterans like Chris Seavor, Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, etc. Try to get Armature as a 2nd party for new core IPs (hopefully there's no bad blood), buy Next Level and Monster Games, I think Platinum (or Kamiya at least) said they WANT to be 2nd Party, DO IT! Spend money, get more companies you know want to work with you and not flee when the darkside offers cookies. You missed getting Cing, Hudson (sort of made up for via ND Cube), and other things. See if Mistwalker wants to join as a 1st or 2nd party, you would have the creator of the #1 RPG series of the world, that's a bullet point to end all bullet points.

Those are some examples at the moment. *phew* XD

Rubixcuba

Banned
So, considering today's events I'm not very confident of Watch Dogs, arguably the highest profile 3rd party title currently in development for the Wii U actually being released. Further with Call of Duty Ghosts only selling .33% on Wii U, should we expect the end of any significant 3rd party titles?

Dark days :(

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, considering today's events I'm not very confident of Watch Dogs, arguably the highest profile 3rd party title currently in development for the Wii U actually being released. Further with Call of Duty Ghosts only selling .33% on Wii U, should we expect the end of any significant 3rd party titles?

They put already a lot of effort into Watch Dogs, might as well release it to diminish the loses. But I agree with the 3rd parties, nothing except the likes of Disney Infinity and Skylanders (and maybe platformers like Rayman) will come from 3rd parties, it's safe to make this bet.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I think that 2014 being the death of third parties on Wii U was always a foregone conclusion. People shouldn't have expected anything else, and that's coming from a big Nintendo fan.

There's no way the Wii U can sell the software needed to justify porting stuff to it. Especially as everyone moves into the PS4/Xbone and their X86 architecture. Wii U is so different and so much less powerful, with such a tiny install base and a tinier still base that will buy third-party software, that it really makes no sense for anyone.

I'd be very, very happily surprised if we see another Ass Creed or CoD next fall, even if there are 360/PS3 down-ports.

I say these dire prognostications with bitter ash in my mouth, but regardless, I feel they are true :(

Hell, most of my Wii U games are third party.

prag16

Banned
I think that 2014 being the death of third parties on Wii U was always a foregone conclusion. People shouldn't have expected anything else, and that's coming from a big Nintendo fan.

There's no way the Wii U can sell the software needed to justify porting stuff to it. Especially as everyone moves into the PS4/Xbone and their X86 architecture. Wii U is so different and so much less powerful, with such a tiny install base and a tinier still base that will buy third-party software, that it really makes no sense for anyone.

I'd be very, very happily surprised if we see another Ass Creed or CoD next fall, even if there are 360/PS3 down-ports.

I say these dire prognostications with bitter ash in my mouth, but regardless, I feel they are true :(

Two things:

Implying PS4/xbone architecture is more different from Wii U than PS360 isn't really correct, even if it's obviously more in line with the power range of the latter.

PS360 downports? C'mon man. That sounds like something cyberheater or Van Owen would say..

HOWEVER your gist is likely correct. We'll get Watch Dogs, but I have a hard time imagining what else, from a AAA 3rd party standpoint...

The only 3rd party game I own is MH3U >__>

Ubisoft might be about to give up on the Wii U and last I saw CoD only had .33% of their sales on the Wii U, it's a crappy situation.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Two things:

Implying PS4/xbone architecture is more different from Wii U than PS360 isn't really correct, even if it's obviously more in line with the power range of the latter.

PS360 downports? C'mon man. That sounds like something cyberheater or Van Owen would say..

HOWEVER your gist is likely correct. We'll get Watch Dogs, but I have a hard time imagining what else, from a AAA 3rd party standpoint...

Oh, no, I meant downports FROM ps4/Xbone, not ps3/360, sorry! Believe me, in all ways the Wii U is next-gen. I'm constantly floored by the graphics of Zombi U currently. And 3d World? Shit's insane.

I also think that social stuff is the hallmark of next-gen, and Miiverse is an awesome take on that. Why, I post to it every day.

True enough that the new twins are just as different from last-gen as they are Wii U, but they had the install base to justify the trouble of downports.

Look guys, I hate it too but let's just say I'm glad we all like Nintendo games.

EDarkness

The only 3rd party game I own is MH3U >__>

Ubisoft might be about to give up on the Wii U and last I saw CoD only had .33% of their sales on the Wii U, it's a crappy situation.

Most of my Wii U games are third party. Honestly, I play very few actual Nintendo games and I have no desire to pick up Super Mario 3D World. However, Activision asked for the low sales of CoD on the Wii U. They didn't advertise it at all, aren't giving anyone DLC or even new free maps, and aren't allowing data to carry over from different versions. They obviously have no desire to promote the game or to support that version. A couple of weeks ago, it was fairly easy to get a match, now there are as low as 300 people at any given time and I have a feeling it'll just get worse. If they sold 25k copies, very few of them are actually playing online.

Most of my Wii U games are third party. Honestly, I play very few actual Nintendo games and I have no desire to pick up Super Mario 3D World. However, Activision asked for the low sales of CoD on the Wii U. They didn't advertise it at all, aren't giving anyone DLC or even new free maps, and aren't allowing data to carry over from different versions. They obviously have no desire to promote the game or to support that version. A couple of weeks ago, it was fairly easy to get a match, now there are as low as 300 people at any given time and I have a feeling it'll just get worse. If they sold 25k copies, very few of them are actually playing online.

makes sense, I wouldn't pay for butchered ports.

EDarkness

I thought it was supposed to be a good port?

A port missing lots of stuff and future content. It's just the Injustice situation all over again. No one wants to pay for gimped games. At least PS4 and XOne owners KNOW they're getting full versions of games and will get them in the future. Seems like every Wii U third party game has to come with some sort of string attached or some missing feature. Gotta hold our breath every time a Wii U version of a third party game gets announced. Why support them if they won't support us?

Yuripaw

Banned
A port missing lots of stuff and future content. It's just the Injustice situation all over again. No one wants to pay for gimped games. At least PS4 and XOne owners KNOW they're getting full versions of games and will get them in the future. Seems like every Wii U third party game has to come with some sort of string attached or some missing feature. Gotta hold our breath every time a Wii U version of a third party game gets announced. Why support them if they won't support us?

Yeah, it's a shitty vicious circle. Publishers won't support the Wii U with proper content because not enough people buy those versions of the game they feel to warrent it, and consumers don't want to purchase those versions of the game because the publisher isn't properly supporting it.

D-e-f-

Banned

That's the part I don't get about third party games and their business plans. Who sits there and thinks they'll be rewarded for gimping versions by leaving out major features and announcing way ahead of release that they're not going to support the game post-launch with content. It's likely they go out of their way to create poor word-of-mouth for that particular versions prior to launch to dissuade those partaking in these word-of-mouth discussion circles, who are also those likely to be early adopters of the platform in question, from even considering buying it. Moreso with the mass audience people who don't even hear about the potential benefits that might still exist in that version since all they hear at their end of the word-of-mouth chain is that this version sucks.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
hey people: hos is Lego Marvel on Wii U? It's on sale right now at Gamestop: 30 bucks new.
Please note that:

- I liked Lego City a lot, but especially because of its irony and for the gamepad use. two things that probably aren't included into Marvel, right?
- I like Marvel comics and characters
- My favourite characters are Spidey and Wolverine: are they under the spotlight in this game?
- I like offtv play and short game session (don't have much time to play): how's the saving system?

Roo

Can't feel sorry for them like.. at all
They put themselves into this shitty situtation in first place.
And I'm not only talking about Wii U or Wii.
Somehow, every generation they managed to screw thing up to the point their audience shrunk more and more.

They're such an stubborn company.
Following some industry standards won't kill them. If you want to make money big time, you need to spend it big time. There no other way around.

They have two options here... they either stop this "we can't compete in the console race" shit or they settle with their tiny fanbase.
I find it funny everytime they say they are after the "hardcore" aka dudebro audience.
That audience loves "power" loves "high end console" "shooters" and all that stuff PS360 are known for. Things Nintendo can't provide. They don't care about Nintendo's innovative controllers and underpowered hardware.

I don't know, I like Nintendo as much as every guy here does but they need a wake up call. Hopefully this is what they need to do so.

EDarkness

hey people: hos is Lego Marvel on Wii U? It's on sale right now at Gamestop: 30 bucks new.
Please note that:

- I liked Lego City a lot, but especially because of its irony and for the gamepad use. two things that probably aren't included into Marvel, right?
- I like Marvel comics and characters
- My favourite characters are Spidey and Wolverine: are they under the spotlight in this game?
- I like offtv play and short game session (don't have much time to play): how's the saving system?

LEGO Marvel is pretty fun. My wife and I have been going through the game. Though, you have to understand that there are bugs...lots of them. Spidey is awesome and I think both Wolverine and Spider-man get a lot of screen time. The game saves all the time, so no problems there.

Oh, and there were a few jokes in the game, but I felt like LEGO City is funnier. Good game, though.

Top Bottom