• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Russian/Brazillian (or similar) games on Steam now have regional activation locks

Salsa

Is it just RUS or is every region locked?

Explaining this in the OP would probably help when all the people reading the title just do drive by comments.

well, considering the first thing you ask is actually answered in the OP I dont know your second comment would be true

Dicer

Banned
My post was pseudo-sarcasm, sorry if it came off different, not being able to get a game for silly reasons is something I am against.

Slight jealousy because I don't hope on these as often as I should....

Megasoum

Banned
So does it affect games already in the library?

Like Pre-orders (Witcher 3) or even games already activated and installed?

cwistofu

i guess it was too good to last. I got my fair share of cheap games, but I know I have no right or entitlement to say anything negative.

Still, I'm worried about the games I've bought in the past and my Dead or Alive 5 Last Round preorder. Will i still have access to games already tied to my account?

region lock hype
:(

HLMs8pV.gif

MattyG

Banned
So, just to be clear, this isn't going to affect games that have already been activated, right? That will suck if it does, because I bought Alien and Shadow of Mordor (both deluxe) from traders. Oh boy.

Linkark07

Banned
Does that mean no more Nuuvem outside of Brazil or only games bought through Steam itself?

It seems Brazil is included for Latin American users. We just cant redeem games bought from the US or Canada (and of course, from the other continents).

Oh yeah, before I forget, fuck you Valve.

Edit: does this also means I cannot redeem games from GMG, GG or Humble Bundle?

Steam's been gradually turning to shit for quite some time now. Not surprised...

Valve shouldn't be getting a free pass because they used to make great games.

But it hasn't?

I feel for markets with insanely high prices but don't feel for people that bought I Russia or something for cheap games. Support your god damn hobby.

That's not why they are doing this, though.

They want to stop people abusing the cheaper Russian prices. That's why they changed gifting a few weeks ago too.

Basically, people abused the system, everyone gets penalized.
Basically. It sucks Valve is gonna catch all the flak for this AND people who want to buy games that aren't available are screwed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Explaining this in the OP would probably help when all the people reading the title just do drive by comments.

Reading the OP it sounds like it's more than Russia. But Russia has always (since they got a localized Steam store, IIRC) had cheaper game prices. With the ability to add games to your inventory to "gift" to people, that opened up a "cheap black market" (for lack of better term) for people to get cheap copies of games they wanted faster than "steam sales." Double so when Russian Steam sales were deeper cuts than the other region stores. I can't blame consumers for going for the cheapest price they could by buying keys and trading with Russians who made mad cash off the rush. Conversely, I can't blame publishers for being pissed that people are circumventing the prices they set in other regions because consumers are able to get the title they want from another region for FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR cheaper.

Almighty

Well I am not surprised they finally shut this down, but now I wish I would of taken advantage of it more often then I did. I also laugh at people trying to make it seem dishonest for a consumer to try to get the best deal possible.

Lagamorph

A lot of keysites selling cheap keys get them from Russia, so this could seriously harm a lot of online sellers.

How would this affect you if you did something like connect to a Russian VPN, purchase or activate a key on your account, then log out of steam and disconnect from the VPN? Will the game cease to work when you re-connect in a different region?

Salsa

Reading the OP it sounds like it's more than Russia. But Russia has always (since they got a localized Steam store, IIRC) had cheaper game prices. With the ability to add games to your inventory to "gift" to people, that opened up a "cheap black market" (for lack of better term) for people to get cheap copies of games they wanted faster than "steam sales." Double so when Russian Steam sales were deeper cuts than the other region stores. I can't blame consumers for going for the cheapest price they could by buying keys and trading with Russians who made mad cash off the rush. Conversely, I can't blame publishers for being pissed that people are circumventing the prices they set in other regions because consumers are able to get the title they want from another region for FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR cheaper.

it's not just russia and that's the issue with this "fix"

As I do not live in the same region as my credit card's registered address, this means I will no longer be able to make purchases on Steam.

Think of all the money saved!

meptrep

A bit of a dumb decision but can you really get mad because we can't get games for slightly less money? I don't know.

well, considering the first thing you ask is actually answered in the OP I dont know your second comment would be true

Mmm, but doess the lock also apply to countries that are not RU, CIS, Indonesia and surrounding regions as well as Brazil and surrounding regions? As in, if I'm in Asia, could I still buy the NA version of games?

I'm unclear on "close regions", but at least it's not everywhere?
I'm saddened that consumers who took advantage of it might have hurt some people's ability to buy games that are otherwise unavailable, but hopefully that can be fixed separately, and hopefully only affecting "close regions" will be fine.

Gibbo

Good time to ask as any. I bought a MGS Rising code from Amazon during the black friday sale. The game is region locked in my country (Singapore). What are my alternatives without risking my account? Should I just create a new steam account, unlock the game via VPN, then stay offline on that account?

jediyoshi

How would this affect you if you did something like connect to a Russian VPN, purchase or activate a key on your account, then log out of steam and disconnect from the VPN? Will the game cease to work when you re-connect in a different region?

This has always been a big no-no.

Salsa

Mmm, but doess the lock also apply to countries that are not RU, CIS, Indonesia and surrounding regions as well as Brazil and surrounding regions?

think those are the ones affected so far

dont see why a step like this wouldnt mean more locking is coming tho

also close regions seems pretty broad, guess we'll see

For those of you saying FUCK STEAM/time to jump ship... Gg, You're the mythical 'Entitled Gamer'. Damn I should have brought my camera

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well I am sad that I can no longer buy cheap games here.

Okay it looks like I can still gift to Canada. Phew.

UrbanRats

I don't give a shit about Russia personally, i never bought from there because i didn't trust those sites too much.

Nuuvem however was a great store, they were very nice and always ready to help if you had issues, and their prices were often lower, but not absurdly so.
Still they were the reason i was able to buy games on D1, so in the end, if they think i'm gonna just shrug and buy games full price from the EU store, they got it wrong.
Like Tuco said, i'm just gonna buy less games and do other stuff.
So i guess instead of having most of the money, they will end up having none of it.

Haunted

I never got into the whole buying Russian/Brazilian keys thing. Even though I'm a cheapass and I'm in the most expensive Steam region (EU tier 1 pricing represent!)

Though I did buy from the US to circumvent low violence versions and the like before. I assume this will also not be possible anymore? I mean, I kinda understand why they do this and it should make the bigger publishers happier, but speaking from my own perspective, it'll just lead to me having less opportunities to spend my money on Steam.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
it's not just russia and that's the issue with this "fix"

Right. But it's a stop gap "stop buying out of your region" measure. Russia was just the tip of the iceberg. If they left other regions alone, someone would find the "next cheapest place" and the market/cycle would begin anew. Instead, they blanket lock other regions to go "no, you aren't buying copies of titles from outside of your region. Buy within your region or don't at all."

Sounds like a reasonable change. Getting access to cheap Russian games was an exploit, getting mad at this is no different than being mad at a retailer for fixing a pricing error.

jediyoshi

think those are the ones affected so far

dont see why a step like this wouldnt mean more locking is coming tho

also close regions seems pretty broad, guess we'll see

#gamesjournalism

So are the keys for sale in B/S/T pretty much worthless now?

A lot of sellers there were buying from steam and then using the gifting functionality directly. Likely the case if the locking stands, though it's made explicit from steam to the initial buyer beforehand.

Screw this noise. Restricting access to games isn't something that should happen in a civilized world.
A dollar is worth almost 3 BRL right now but the Brazillian store has always maintaned a 1.6~2.0 estimation of prices. If a game costs 15 bucks it'll cost between 25 and 35 BRL and that is awesome.

It sucks big time for everyone that would get these games legimately but If restricting access to foreigners is what it takes for games in my region to maintain their fair prices then the world can honestly get fucked.

Salsa

Right. But it's a stop gap "stop buying out of your region" measure. Russia was just the tip of the iceberg. If they left other regions alone, someone would find the "next cheapest place" and the market/cycle would begin anew. Instead, they blanket lock other regions to go "no, you aren't buying copies of titles from outside of your region. Buy within your region or don't at all."

see, I live in Uruguay. There's 3 million people here. very few use Steam. im assuming i'll end up as same region as Brazil (or close by) even tho my prices are the same as the US for the most part (only exception is 2k games being $10 cheaper) and my currency is USD, or worse; a specific one that's also region locked

this can easily and probably will lead to me not being able to gift games to anyone on GAF

what did I do

Sounds like a reasonable change. Getting access to cheap Russian games was an exploit, getting mad at this is no different than being mad at a retailer for fixing a pricing error.

you should read better/further

Corpekata

Banned
Given the changes to trading lately (30 day trading delay, keys getting weeklong ones) this seemed like it would occur any day now.

Top Bottom