• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals, Discussion, and Nintendo Item Stock Watch 10

NYR

Can’t believe Cineplex fucked up again and released tickets before the trailer, they were available over an hour before, people started posting at 8:55 PM EST that you could get them via Cineplex. Trailer wasn’t on for another hour. I managed to get them early just like with TFA.

Got tickets for the opening night event screening on the 14th for 6 PM ($30 each!) and IMAX non 3D for Saturday afternoon. Really disappointed with the lack of non 3D showings for Thursday - only show was the fan event which cost $30 each. Friday had one non 3D IMAX show but it was 3:40. I bought my Saturday afternoon tickets first and decided I might as well double dip and bought the Thursday ones too.

Lothars

Got my tickets first showing in dbox, I can't wait and surprisingly prices were the same. I was told it was more. I can't complain.

killroy87

Unfortunately have to wait a week to go, until Dec 22. Luckily I got tix to the lone IMAX 2D showing, surrounded by a bunch of 3D bullshit. Very excited!

MrNineties

Man that trailer has my hopes up, but since the integration with Disney i'm less interested in the franchise as a serious thing. We're just along for the ride now.

Maddog

That’s annoying. Just noticed that the cineplex summer escape tickets can only be used until sept 30. Thankfully they carry over to next summer but annoying that I missed that bit of fine print. Was looking forward to finally using them up now that I am temporarily living in a city with a theatre that is closer than 45 minutes away. Ah well next year.

They made that pretty clear when buying them, and the fact they are called "Summer" Escape.

Do any of you regularly use Canada Post Flex Delivery service for online orders? Curious about giving it a try since I'm rarely home when things come. Does amazon work with it fine?

I use it for all amazon orders. It works good & it avoids use having to do deal with intelcom & the postman shoving your box inside a too tight compartment.

jokkir

Might be selling my unlocked Galaxy S7 (international version) soon. If anyone is interested, it comes with everything, plus two clear TPU cases and a plastic Galaxy S6 screen protector. Condition is pretty good since I put a skin plus case on it but there were exposed areas like the fingerprint scanner and parts of the screen the screen protector couldn't cover.

I have no idea how much this thing goes for so maybe I'll sell for $400-$425 ? I need to check still actually lol

Ryde3

Do any of you regularly use Canada Post Flex Delivery service for online orders? Curious about giving it a try since I'm rarely home when things come. Does amazon work with it fine?

I use it for things I want the same day, and I know I won't be at home. Works just fine!

Can't believe Cineplex fucked up again and released tickets before the trailer, they were available over an hour before, people started posting at 8:55 PM EST that you could get them via Cineplex. Trailer wasn't on for another hour. I managed to get them early just like with TFA.

Got tickets for the opening night event screening on the 14th for 6 PM ($30 each!) and IMAX non 3D for Saturday afternoon. Really disappointed with the lack of non 3D showings for Thursday - only show was the fan event which cost $30 each. Friday had one non 3D IMAX show but it was 3:40. I bought my Saturday afternoon tickets first and decided I might as well double dip and bought the Thursday ones too.

Yup, was pissed when I found out they had the ordering up early. Literally within 2 seconds of Cineplex tweeting out the link, I go to order and half the theatre (mainly the good seats) all sold out.

On top of that, I have a group of 9 going, the max tickets you could order is 8. On top of THAT, it's a $150 maximum on their website for some strange reason, so realistically, 7 is the max (if you're doing IMAX).

Basically was a shit show getting seats and due to credit cards not being able to process, ended up losing good seats and had to make due with backup ones.

FN-2187

I could swear I used to buy SNES and PC games there a while ago. Or was that Eaton's?

All the department stores sold video games at one time or another. I distinctly remembering buying my Sega Saturn at The Bay.

Before the internet, the Sears Wishbook was essential for determining which video games to put on your Christmas list.

Luigi87

Unfortunate to hear about Sears. It is never good seeing a retailer close. After having to go through the Target stuff years ago, it's not a pleasant experience for the employees

SickBoy

I started typing this on the computer but apparently didn't hit send. The Sears thing isn't surprising, but still unfortunate. I don't know how you turn a ship like that around without going back in time and putting a better plan in place to meet change, instead of reacting late and trying to continue steering the Titanic. Even then it's a tough business.

I do have fond memories of getting a sweet multi-figure pack of Empire Strikes Back Star Wars figures from there way back when. (I think my brother did, too). They had an awesome toy department in those days.

But all in all I'd have rather traded Sears for Eaton's or Woodward's back when those companies hit the skids.

lucypirates

Unconfirmed Member
Flipping through the Sears Christmas catalog was always one of the best things growing up. I'd look at the toy spreads for weeks leading up to the holidays circling things I'd want for fun.

Can't say I've given much business to Sears though in my later years, the last thing I bought from them was a water heater. Which is a far cry from what I was circling the catalog for before. The overall shopping experience has changed so much though, but the list of retailers closing their doors in Canada keeps growing: Eaton's, Kmart, Zellers, Target, now Sears, and maybe/possibly/eventually Toys R' Us.

But all in all I'd have rather traded Sears for Eaton's or Woodward's back when those companies hit the skids.

I agree. I miss Eaton's the most, but all that's left now is what? The Bay? It's frankly pretty boring with nothing but Walmarts everywhere now.

Might be selling my unlocked Galaxy S7 (international version) soon. If anyone is interested, it comes with everything, plus two clear TPU cases and a plastic Galaxy S6 screen protector. Condition is pretty good since I put a skin plus case on it but there were exposed areas like the fingerprint scanner and parts of the screen the screen protector couldn't cover.

I have no idea how much this thing goes for so maybe I'll sell for $400-$425 ? I need to check still actually lol

Fuuuuuuccc.... I just bought one for like $450 on eBay last week and it was a locked down Verizon one that I had to root 😭 why didn't you sell it earlier!!

iLLmAtlc

Not sure if it's a buyers market for TV and Internet in Vancouver atm or what but I was offered to stay on my current price for another year within moments of asking if I qualified for any discounts. I haven't been on a year discount since like 2012.

Pick up those phones folks

Maybe this is the right thread for this question.

I saw yesterday an email come in from Playstation thanking me for my purchase but I didn't buy anything. I checked it out and it was a free two day ps plus renewal. My annual membership expired a week earlier.

Is this normal practice? I have 2 step authentication set up and haven't bought anything on the ps store recently. Anybody else get this?

Vamphuntr

I started typing this on the computer but apparently didn't hit send. The Sears thing isn't surprising, but still unfortunate. I don't know how you turn a ship like that around without going back in time and putting a better plan in place to meet change, instead of reacting late and trying to continue steering the Titanic. Even then it's a tough business.

I do have fond memories of getting a sweet multi-figure pack of Empire Strikes Back Star Wars figures from there way back when. (I think my brother did, too). They had an awesome toy department in those days.

The internet pretty much killed Sears. A huge chunk of their business model pre-Internet era was catalog ordering and it was often the only way to get the stuff you wanted to buy outside of big urban centers. I remember looking at their catalog all the time as a kid and got so many SNES and 64 games from them.

With the Internet you could find much better designed websites and with much better prices that delivered to your door. Consumers Distributing would have bitten the dust too if it hadn't died earlier.

Overall they were starting to be in an unfortunate position price and quality wise. They were stuck in the middle between low prices store like Walmart and Zellers at the bottom and expensive ones like The Bay at the top.

Maybe this is the right thread for this question.

I saw yesterday an email come in from Playstation thanking me for my purchase but I didn't buy anything. I checked it out and it was a free two day ps plus renewal. My annual membership expired a week earlier.

Is this normal practice? I have 2 step authentication set up and haven't bought anything on the ps store recently. Anybody else get this?

I get that email everytime I download anything from the Store including free demo. I just got that email for the free 4k cinematic dlc add on for Shadow of War.

JDH

The internet pretty much killed Sears. A huge chunk of their business model pre-Internet era was catalog ordering and it was often the only way to get the stuff you wanted to buy outside of big urban centers. I remember looking at their catalog all the time as a kid and got so many SNES and 64 games from them.

With the Internet you could find much better designed websites and with much better prices that delivered to your door. Consumers Distributing would have bitten the dust too if it hadn't died earlier.

Overall they were starting to be in an unfortunate position price and quality wise. They were stuck in the middle between low prices store like Walmart and Zellers at the bottom and expensive ones like The Bay at the top.

They still had a Sears Catalogue depot in my home town just a few years back... They failed to move with the times. Sucks though, because really all's it means s less competition overall - which is never good.

On a lighter note - I received my Super Famicom Mini today from Amazon Japan. I wish Amazon Canada packed things as well. It was sealed in plastic and was secured to a piece of cardboard glued to the box itself so it wouldn't shift around. Arrived super quick via DHL (2 business days)

Luigi87

So how long has Amazon been selling some things exclusively to Prime members?

A friend pointed out Star Ocean 5 to me. Like I understood pre-orders of limited items, but for things like this, huh...

I could swear I used to buy SNES and PC games there a while ago. Or was that Eaton's?

Hell, I bought a 50% off copy of Rocksmith for the 360 in one of the last video game clearance sales Sears had before they stopped selling them entirely. This was back when they still had their Eaton Centre location in Toronto.

Anth0ny

are there any big brick and mortar stores that aren't fucked at this point?

feels like wal mart and amazon will be all that's left sooner or later

amazon.ca can't be assed to send collector's editions and amiibos in boxes, but when it comes to a pack of 5 CR2032 batteries, they spare no expense and send it in an A3 box with a ridiculous amount of padding.

NYR

Brick and mortar is dead within 10 years. It makes no sense - costs too much for real estate and you don’t need to pay employees to be in store.

Brick and mortar is dead within 10 years. It makes no sense - costs too much for real estate and you don’t need to pay employees to be in store.

Toronto specific, but anytime a mall store closes another one (or three) pop up in the leftover space. Mega stores are probably in a bad spot these days. The food court at STC and Yorkdale are awesome now and seeing stores like Uniqlo and H&M thrive is nice to see.

So amazon is selling whole foods stuff now. Never tried anything from them before...trustworthy brand/store? Almond butter...so good...but costco is still cheaper.

Top Bottom