• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I had a sleep paralysis the other day and I felt a presence in my room

I had a few episodes through my life, but it hasn't happened in years.

Unlike most people I think, I don't recall hallucinating any presences in my room, just the paralysis and the feeling of being unable to breath, which was panicking enough.

I would try really hard to force myself awake, I imagined forcing my eyelids open with my hands, but I doubt I actually did.

Eventually I would fall back into sleep or awake up fully. Even without the visions it's something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Pretty experienced with sleep paralysis, though I find it afflicts me much more when I'm on a course of opiate painkillers, but it does happen sometimes when I'm not. Assuming it has some connection to the dopamine pathways.

Anyway, as others have said, the toe wiggle technique is a good way to get out of it, as well as once youve gone through it a few times, its easier to ride it out without anxiety.

Now if I could get the occasional orthostatic hypoteneion to go away...that'd be great. Randomly, if I get up from a deep sleep to pee or something, I'll get super dizzy, thumping/buzzing in my ears, nauseous and have to lay down. Apparently its from blood pooling in the legs while lying down and then a sudden drop in blood pressure upon standing. It sucks, thankfully it only happens about 3 times a year, but its rough when it does.

I do wonder how the brain comes up with these terrifying "beings" we see during sleep paralysis. Not everyone watches scary movies/reads about demonic creatures to imagine these beings.

I do wonder how the brain comes up with these terrifying "beings" we see during sleep paralysis. Not everyone watches scary movies/reads about demonic creatures to imagine these beings.

That's a good question I don't like to watch that kind of content. I saw a shadow man in my last experience and before that I was visited by the gray aliens 3 times

I would imagine that their brain would "conjure" up whatever it deems horrifying from person to person, culture to culture. Some may conjure up a scary teddy bear. A witch. The common man in a hat or shadow people. Exotic creatures. The list goes on.

But scientifically I have no clue. Mayhaps it is our brain trying to fill in the blanks or something? Like what would YOU see that would stop you dead in your tracks?

Top Bottom