• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

People said the same thing about the MGS3 bosses before the game came out, but then the boss fights turned out to be an awesome thing.
I remember people saying the End was a stupid boss, but after the game came out everybody thinks it's one of the best boss fights ever.

I predict these boss fights will be fucking amazing.

Anyone notice that under the pictures of Screaming Mantis on the right there's a picture of Psycho Mantis under it. Could there be more than the names related between the bosses? Translation anyone?

Also, Crying Wolf looks like a real wolf. I predict a good boss to fight!

Kuroyume

Banned
They look insane, but I dig them. Here are how the bosses rank up in the previous three games:

01. MGS 3 BOSSES
02. MGS 1 BOSSES
03. MGS 2 BOSSES

itxaka

Defeatist
Kuroyume said:
They look insane, but I dig them. Here are how the bosses rank up in the previous three games:

01. MGS 3 BOSSES
02. MGS 1 BOSSES
03. MGS 2 BOSSES

Psycho Mantis thinks you´re wrong...

2b67210bbe.jpg

PowerSmell said:
Anyone notice that under the pictures of Screaming Mantis on the right there's a picture of Psycho Mantis under it. Could there be more than the names related between the bosses? Translation anyone?

Well, the naming is awfully similar to MGS1 isn't it?

MGS4 has Screaming Mantis, Laughing Octopus, Raging Raven and Crying Wolf to MGS1's Psycho Mantis, Decoy Octopus, Vulcan Raven and Sniper Wolf.

New bosses paying homage to old bosses? I have no idea whatsoever.

rs7k

Outlandish bosses/storylines like that is why I never bothered to play past mgs2, that game scarred me for life.

rs7k said:
Outlandish bosses/storylines like that is why I never bothered to play past mgs2, that game scarred me for life.

if you dont like these elements you might as well stick to tetres, drivingand sports games

bud

the gameplay is going to be awesome, no doubt, but i was hoping they'd look a bit more, eh, ''normal.'' i wanted them to be a bit more like the ones in mgs1 as opposed to the ones in mgs3. i guess the bosses do fit in the game, unlike the ones in mgs3, but they still look as weird as the ones in that game, though not as out of place.

bud said:
the gameplay is going to be awesome, no doubt, but i was hoping they'd look a bit more, eh, ''normal.'' i wanted them to be a bit more like the ones in mgs1 as opposed to the ones in mgs3. i guess the bosses do fit in the game, unlike the ones in mgs3, but they still look as weird as the ones in that game, though not as out of place.

I doubt these are all the bosses in the game. Plus we know there's Ocelot who's normal. I like that there's a mix between the over the top characters and the realistic characters. Also it looks like these bosses are going to look amazing when you see them moving.

Yoboman

bud said:
They're either Metal Gear machines, or inside there are people who we don't know are weird or not. Either way it's just one weirdness step away from the Gekko's or the cyborg ninja.

LaneDS

Personally think they look awesome, and they're made more awesome by the fact that they've got the MGS1 Foxhound names attached. Hopefully there's more to that connection than simply the names.

The Solidus style tentacles fit well with the rest of the game, as well as the new Metal Gears.

Make it April already.

Ceb

I hope they can talk. And like I said in the other thread, I wonder if the rebel side will have bosses of their own (if you choose to fight on the PMC's side).

PMC bosses - MG hybrids.
Rebel bosses - human freaks (maybe Vamp is on their side?)

It would be cool if these four were exclusive to the middle east area. Somehow I think it'd get old to get new introductory "neo-FoxHound fucking things up" videos for each new setting.

I've always suspected that MGS4 would feature a higher number of "neutral" mechanical bosses due to the warzone setting, but if they can make them more unique/individual like these four, I'm all for it.

evil ways

CosmicGroinPull said:
I think they look awesome. Kinda freakish and scary-looking. What if they ARE the MGS1 bosses brought back to life by the Patriots? :D

All lead by that Big Boss zombie we saw in earlier sketches.

Sign me up.

Neil

I think they look pretty cool. Although they take away from the realism that MGS4 had (minus big fuck off robots with legs).
I hope Laughing Octapus gets translated into something better!

Yoboman

Ceb said:
I hope they can talk. And like I said in the other thread, I wonder if the rebel side will have bosses of their own (if you choose to fight on the PMC's side).

PMC bosses - MG hybrids.
Rebel bosses - human freaks (maybe Vamp is on their side?)

It would be cool if these four were exclusive to the middle east area. Somehow I think it'd get old to get new introductory "neo-FoxHound fucking things up" videos for each new setting.

I've always suspected that MGS4 would feature a higher number of "neutral" mechanical bosses due to the warzone setting, but if they can make them more unique/individual like these four, I'm all for it.
That would be kinda cool actually. But the story doesn't change depending on what side you choose, so I doubt the bosses would

ksamedi

Why does anyone want a more realistic MGS anyway? Making MGS realistic means taking away the elements that makes the game unique in te first place. We already have a splinter cell and we dont need another one. Its the wacky bosses and storylines that make for interesting gameplay situations and all the wacky stuff in the game feels more believeble.

Zenith

Banned
homer-simpson-5.jpg

"....tramapaline.....trabopaline...."

The animation on crying wolf's running motion is going to be so tight.

Will theree be anyone kind enough to email me the Jpeg scans.. I can PM you my address... theres a filter here where im deployed and I cant see the Link :-(

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Sorry guys, but these bosses look pretty fucking badass in motion. Watching Laughing Octopus and Screaming Mantis brutally kill soldiers gave me a boner.

Believe.

Geek said:
Sorry guys, but these bosses look pretty fucking badass in motion. Watching Laughing Octopus and Screaming Mantis brutally kill soldiers gave me a boner.

Believe.
Spill it all now please.

GrayFoxPL

I think they look very, very interesting. Their design fits the futuristic theme of mgs4. They grow on me with every second. Well maybe apart of Crying Wolf - ED from Robocop? But that's maybe because I can't see him clearly.

Laughing Octopus and Screaming Mantis seem to be both women. Octopus for sure but I have doubts on Mantis. I hope she's a she or I'll feel dirty :lol.

Raging Raven and Mantis are pure awsome in design. Clearly best in the bunch.

And wtf you people are babbling about names?

Laughing Octopus is stupid but somehow Liquid Snake, Vulcan Raven or Revolver Ocelot are perfectly logical and full of grace? Get down to fucking earth. This is MGS. This is Kojima. I can't wait for more.

I was afraid there be more of Vamp type chars but now I can say Kojima delivered.

EDIT: New Screens?? Where did they come from?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
SolidSnakex said:
WHHHHHHHHHHAT?!?
They're already showing the trailer. Was surprised to come back here and see no discussion about it.

Basically, Screaming Mantis controls people like they were marionette dolls, twisting them until their bones break and they expire.

Laughin Octopus is disguised as, i don't know, something that just looks like a totem made of coils. Then he/she picks up PMC soldiers, constricting them or skewering them with a mechanical tentacle.

It's totally different from the other trailers.

jett

D-Member
Are these even bosses? There were like three Ravens in the last gameplay demonstration from the anniversary conference...

Awesome, can you see whether or not this is the first MGS4 trailer to feature both gameplay and cutscenes like the MGS, MGS2 and MGS3 trailers?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
SolidSnakex said:
Awesome, can you see whether or not this is the first MGS4 trailer to feature both gameplay and cutscenes like the MGS, MGS2 and MGS3 trailers?

Looked like pure cutscenes. I was a little distracted, but will try to go back and look again. I've got a disc with new screens and "playable demo*" screens that I'm looking through.

* NM - its just the PlayStation Premiere stuff.

The tenticle head dude is AWESOME. I bet each tenticle does something different, or shoots something different. Can you see that dude tossing snake like a mile across the map in a boss fight? Cool!

They look pretty awesome, terrifying and inhuman. +1 for being a combination of previous bosses. You people just whine about everything. There's also no reason for the tentacle comments, it's not like Solidus didn't have them either.

jett

D-Member
Yoboman said:

Wait...I meant the gameplay trailer from the 20th anniversary conference. There's a bunch of flying metal gears that look exactly like "Raging Raven".

Zenith

Banned
jett said:
Are these even bosses? There were like three Ravens in the E3'07 trailer...

no, those flying things were tiny and only carried 2 bomb pods. Raven is much bigger (and has a humanoid body).

Looked like pure cutscenes. I was a little distracted, but will try to go back and look again. I've got a disc with new screens and "playable demo*" screens that I'm looking through.

* NM - its just the PlayStation Premiere stuff.

What was the music like? What's that big boxy metal gear in the 3rd screen?

Top Bottom