• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Platy

THe games I tryed in Revolution (Capcom vs SNK 2 and Soul Calibur2) did not recognized the memory card ...is there anything to do ?

Hm, i see in Devo compatibility list that they work as intended with memory cards...
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Devolution_Compatibility_List

Try the following: Go to Wii menu --> data management-->saves-->Gamecube. See if it shows your MC. If not, do the take out & reinsert trick. It should now be recognized.

BTW, you don't necessarily need a real MC, personally, i don't like having that thing stick out of the top of the Wii. If you want, you could rip your MC with a homebrew app, transfer its' saves (via Dolphin) to a virtual MC (memcard.raw) and have Devo use that virtual MC.

A couple of updates for Nintendont:
- All the controllers, cables and physical memory card that were used originally with the NGC are now supported in original Wii's (not Family Wii nor Wii U). This means things like Gba Link Cable, DK bongos, Mics that connected to the GC controller ports are now functional along with real Memory Cards.

- There is a beta fork of the loader that supports Wiimote & Nunchuck controls for GC games, including IR controls for fps games (Timesplitters 2 & 3 with IR controls finally!).

Rich!

A couple of updates for Nintendont:
- All the controllers, cables and physical memory card that were used originally with the NGC are now supported in original Wii's (not Family Wii nor Wii U). This means things like Gba Link Cable, DK bongos, Mics that connected to the GC controller ports are now functional along with real Memory Cards.

- There is a beta fork of the loader that supports Wiimote & Nunchuck controls for GC games, including IR controls for fps games (Timesplitters 2 & 3 with IR controls finally!).

Hooooly shit

Nintendont is amazing.

Thanks to this thread, I now have my Wii & GC backups loading from a USB HDD (all loading from CFG USB Loader). I can now maximize my laziness of not swapping GC discs all the bloody time.

Platy

Hm, i see in Devo compatibility list that they work as intended with memory cards...
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Devolution_Compatibility_List

Try the following: Go to Wii menu --> data management-->saves-->Gamecube. See if it shows your MC. If not, do the take out & reinsert trick. It should now be recognized.

BTW, you don't necessarily need a real MC, personally, i don't like having that thing stick out of the top of the Wii. If you want, you could rip your MC with a homebrew app, transfer its' saves (via Dolphin) to a virtual MC (memcard.raw) and have Devo use that virtual MC.

Hmmm ..

is there any way where can I download a blank memcard.raw ?

I think it is easier since this was on wiiu and my homebrew wii is on a box =x

I can upload one but really, Devo auto creates a memcard.raw/memcard.bin file only the first time you ever boot it with having MCemu=ON (memory card emulation) as a setting. It is automated. :)

If you still insist though, i can upload mine.

Pyrokai

Hey guys,

I want to permanently delete my Homebrew Channel. Am I correct in saying the best way to do this is to just delete like I would any other channel?

Also, I was wondering.....what traces remain of this being installed, if any? Recently, I've been afraid that if I ever have to send my Wii in for repair, even if it's deleted, they will somehow know that I once had it installed.

And last question! It's totally safe to transfer everything to my Wii U without having to worry about hurting the Wii U, right? I'm talking transferring over my game the normal/official way and such.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A Wii U transfer won't hurt anything, but there can be telltale signs of homebrew use after a transfer. The most obvious one I can think of is region-lock circumvention. If you've got Japanese saves on your US Wii console, for example, those will be transferred to your US Wii U. So if someone takes a look at your Wii U and sees that kind of stuff, then they can connect the dots.

Actual homebrew (such as the HBC) will stay on the Wii and won't make the jump. The transfer process basically just ignores all of that stuff.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to completely "clean" a Wii of all homebrew traces. I can't even begin to remember which IOSes I have and haven't fucked with.

Some Wii homebrew news updates:

VBA GX has been updated to version 2.3.1 Major speed updates, new renderingmethod derived from Retroarch Wii's VBA Next core, screenshot/boxart support in menus AND Super Gameboy Support.
You can use your own palettes and borders too.

Nintendont has seen multiple updates this week, resulting in even better compatibility now, and the nunchuck & IR beta fork is coming along really well. I beat the two Timesplitters games and XIII with it. Hopefully it 'll go public soon.

Pyrokai

A Wii U transfer won't hurt anything, but there can be telltale signs of homebrew use after a transfer. The most obvious one I can think of is region-lock circumvention. If you've got Japanese saves on your US Wii console, for example, those will be transferred to your US Wii U. So if someone takes a look at your Wii U and sees that kind of stuff, then they can connect the dots.

Actual homebrew (such as the HBC) will stay on the Wii and won't make the jump. The transfer process basically just ignores all of that stuff.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to completely "clean" a Wii of all homebrew traces. I can't even begin to remember which IOSes I have and haven't fucked with.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the help. I will delete any out-of-region saves I have and then delete the Homebrew Channel, and I think that will be good from what I gather. Good to hear about the transfer, tool

Sapiens

Question!

I followed all the instructions and I installed my copy of Sin & Punishment, but when I try to launch it, it freezes the system up. Any idea why?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sup Wii homebrew GAF.

My Wii is basically a dedicated Smash machine now so I'm trying to set it up so I can just play Melee and PM from the SD card.

Searching around, it looks like I can use the Configurable USB loader and dios mios to load GC games (Melee). Does dios mios still prevent you from loading retail discs though? GAF wiki says it does but I'm guessing it may be out of date, and I'd like to have that option if the need ever arises (I have a separate GC for most of my GC needs though).

Also, is there any way to set up forwarders to specific games in the USB loader? That would be nifty. I'd like to either do that or just try to skin it as a cool Smash launcher (and maybe add in Smash 64 if I go that route, no idea if that's possible).

Rich!

Sup Wii homebrew GAF.

My Wii is basically a dedicated Smash machine now so I'm trying to set it up so I can just play Melee and PM from the SD card.

Searching around, it looks like I can use the Configurable USB loader and dios mios to load GC games (Melee). Does dios mios still prevent you from loading retail discs though? GAF wiki says it does but I'm guessing it may be out of date, and I'd like to have that option if the need ever arises (I have a separate GC for most of my GC needs though).

Also, is there any way to set up forwarders to specific games in the USB loader? That would be nifty. I'd like to either do that or just try to skin it as a cool Smash launcher (and maybe add in Smash 64 if I go that route, no idea if that's possible).

Do not use MIOS DIOS. It's obsolete. Use Nintendont, also by Crediar.
https://code.google.com/p/nintendon-t/ it's what I use on the Wii U. No installation is nessecary, just put it into the apps folder.

Features:

Play audio via disc audio streaming
Full speed loading from an USB device, or a SD card
Loads 1:1 and compressed .ISO disc images
Works on Wii and vWii on Wii U
Loads games as extracted files (FST)
Memory card emulation
Bluetooth controller support (Classic Controller (Pro), Wii U Pro Controller)
HID controller support via USB
Custom button layout when using HID controllers
Cheat code support
WiiRd (only on Wii)
Changeable configuration of various settings
Reset/Power off via button combo (R + Z + Start) (R + Z + B + D-Pad Down)
Advanced video mode patching, force progressive and force 16:9 widescreen
Auto boot from loader
Disc switching
Allow use of the Nintendo GameCube Microphone
Use real memory card

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't entirely smooth getting it working (figured out that I had to edit the meta.xml file for the USB loader, or Nintendont gave an error) but I can successfully launch Melee.

Will have to play with the configurator and see if I can make a neat Smash launcher.

+1000 for nintendont over Dios Mios.
You can even play Melee in 16:9 using a custom wiird code in nintendont, force deflicker for sharper graphics,load games ultra fast (as much as 5X compared to a real GC, games like Rebel Strike load instantly for example) use a CC, CC Pro, a variety of bluetooth or usb controllers (or even wiimote & nunchuck lol). And it is all done from a self contained .dol file so you don't have to mess your Wii's MIOS like with DM, so you can easily play retail discs as well if you wish to.

P.S. I think USB Loader GX and Wiiflow are better than CFG atm, more up to date, many more features & customization, better gui, etc.

Lettuce

+1000 for nintendont over Dios Mios.
You can even play Melee in 16:9 using a custom wiird code in nintendont, force deflicker for sharper graphics,load games ultra fast (as much as 5X compared to a real GC, games like Rebel Strike load instantly for example) use a CC, CC Pro, a variety of bluetooth or usb controllers (or even wiimote & nunchuck lol). And it is all done from a self contained .dol file so you don't have to mess your Wii's MIOS like with DM, so you can easily play retail discs as well if you wish to.

P.S. I think USB Loader GX and Wiiflow are better than CFG atm, more up to date, many more features & customization, better gui, etc.

Is there a nack to getting a PS3 pad to pair up to the Wii U, i have the ps3 controller.ini and renamed it to controller.ini and placed in the route of my SD card but cant seem to get it paired up?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendont works pretty well, had a few times where it fails to boot the game though. I also don't know how to use memory card emulation so in Melee 20XX I have to go into the debug menu and redo setting each time I play (no random music, flashes for l canceling).

Having the hardest time dealing with CFG themes and the Configurator is not really helping at all. Background image I add in is a garbled mess, it doesn't seem to be using the theme data to change coordinates.

Never heard of Wiiflow until now and while I've heard of USB Loader GX, I don't know anything about it. While I was searching around I actually saw some people suggest avoiding it.

Is there a nack to getting a PS3 pad to pair up to the Wii U, i have the ps3 controller.ini and renamed it to controller.ini and placed in the route of my SD card but cant seem to get it paired up?

IIRC recent nintendont versions automatically recognize the usb controller and change the .ini accordingly.
All .inis of known usb hid controllers that work with nintendont are here:
https://nintendon-t.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/controllerconfigs/controllers.zip

These go in SD:\controllers\ or USB:\controllers\ depending where you have your nintendont boot.dol and loader.dol files.

Nintendont works pretty well, had a few times where it fails to boot the game though. I also don't know how to use memory card emulation so in Melee 20XX I have to go into the debug menu and redo setting each time I play (no random music, flashes for l canceling).

Make sure to turn on MC emu in the loader's options for the game. First time it asks for a format, from then on a 2mb .raw file (for a 251 size GC memory card) in your /saves folder will act as a virtual memory card for that game.

Never heard of Wiiflow until now and while I've heard of USB Loader GX, I don't know anything about it. While I was searching around I actually saw some people suggest avoiding it.

I respectfully disagree, those two are really top of line atm. I used to be a CFG user till two years ago. I switched to USBLGX just as it was booming and never looked back personally.
Wiiflow is like GX in feautures but has an incredible gui. It also requires quite a bit of tinkering with all the coversets and plug-ins it supports (that's why i have not yet given it a go, too bysu irl). HOWEVER, once you set everything up, you can have it as an all in one like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu8NXHjvRxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBIk3tAP7ug

Lettuce

IIRC recent nintendont versions automatically recognize the usb controller and change the .ini accordingly.
All .inis of known usb hid controllers that work with nintendont are here:
https://nintendon-t.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/controllerconfigs/controllers.zip

These go in SD:\controllers\ or USB:\controllers\ depending where you have your nintendont boot.dol and loader.dol files.

So you cant use the PS3 pad wirelessly then?

So i no longer need the controller.ini file in the route of the nintendont folder?

Griss

Guys I read the OP, and google the gaf wiki, but both seemed old. Really old. What's the most up-to-date source of tutorials for getting this up and running on the Wii U? I'm looking to do USB Loader GX and Nintendon't.

I already have pretty much all of my Wii games backed up but I might need to rip my GC ones, which are unfortunately in two seperate regions - half PAL and half NTSC. This is because I homebrewed my old Wii, which is currently in storage. That was years and years ago though.

Cheers for any help, and apologies if I've missed something obvious. You'll probably have a fair few people wandering over from the thread on the gaming side, lol, so it might be worth it for them as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I respectfully disagree, those two are really top of line atm. I used to be a CFG user till two years ago. I switched to USBLGX just as it was booming and never looked back personally.
Wiiflow is like GX in feautures but has an incredible gui. It also requires quite a bit of tinkering with all the coversets and plug-ins it supports (that's why i have not yet given it a go, too bysu irl). HOWEVER, once you set everything up, you can have it as an all in one like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu8NXHjvRxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBIk3tAP7ug

I'm primarily after customization. My Wii is basically a dedicated Smash machine hooked up to a CRT, just have Melee and PM on the SD card (have a GC + component cables and Wii U for GC/Wii games respectively). So I want to make a theme that just serves as a cool Smash launcher rather than something intended to sort through a bunch of games.

I'm primarily after customization. My Wii is basically a dedicated Smash machine hooked up to a CRT, just have Melee and PM on the SD card (have a GC + component cables and Wii U for GC/Wii games respectively). So I want to make a theme that just serves as a cool Smash launcher rather than something intended to sort through a bunch of games.

Cool, but both USBLGX and especially Wiiflow have a far better gui (and custom themes) than CFG. Plus they also support music playlist while on the menu, so you can also have a Smash tune selection playing in the background while in the loader's gui.

Here is a theme maker for USBLGX i use:
http://creator.spiffy360.com/04-Download-Software.php?softwareID=1

Guys I read the OP, and google the gaf wiki, but both seemed old. Really old. What's the most up-to-date source of tutorials for getting this up and running on the Wii U? I'm looking to do USB Loader GX and Nintendon't.

I already have pretty much all of my Wii games backed up but I might need to rip my GC ones, which are unfortunately in two seperate regions - half PAL and half NTSC. This is because I homebrewed my old Wii, which is currently in storage. That was years and years ago though.

Cheers for any help, and apologies if I've missed something obvious. You'll probably have a fair few people wandering over from the thread on the gaming side, lol, so it might be worth it for them as well.
http://nintendont.net/
Also check the nintendont gbatemp thread, nintendont developers frequently chime in there.

Xhorder

I recently went through this guide over here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/ and now I have USB Loader GX and Nintendon't running on my Wii U.

Do note you can't rip any GC games on your WiiU, since the WiiU doesn't support the small GC discs. I accidentally (wasn't thinking clearly) put one in mine and luckily got it out before it got stuck or something.

RonianAT2

Neo Member
Does anyone of you use a USB Stick for ripping your Wii Games onto it? Which ones do work with the Hombrew channel? (64 GB or higher)

MrMan2k3

So now that Nintendont seems to be the best way to play GameCube games on my Wii, how do I uninstall Dios Mios Lite? It would be nice if I could re-enable GameCube games loading from disc again.

Question for those who have vWii homebrewed: what exactly is required on the SD card? I want to download the latest Project M update but I won't have enough room on my 1 GB card. I know I need the Homebrew Channel and all the apps on there, but do I need the NAND backup on there or could I keep that backed up to my PC. It'd clear a good 500 or so MB which is more than enough for Project M.

n64coder

Yes, you can copy the sd card to the computer as a backup. Then delete the nand backup to make room for the project m thing you're doing.

samn

I have a PAL Wii U which forces output in 576i50hz when in Wii mode and outputting via component. Is there any way to use home brew or USB loaders to force output in 480p?

quesalupa

Guys I'm a total noob with this homebrew stuff so don't hurt me. Is there a way to make custom controls for the wii u pro controller through bluetooth on Nintendont? I'm trying to play Tony Hawk and its downright horrible. If so, how?
Edit: Just had to hit the minus button. Yay

Platy

Since not much Wii users go to the Retroarch thread ...

Anyone knows how to run the KOF roms ?

I am using retroarch but it is all failing to load .. even stuff like Metal Slug 1 =(

ALL Neogeo roms that are smaller than 42.7 MB run on RA Wii Neo Geo core. I have 125 Neo Geo games running flawlessly. Just make sure 1) to have the neogeo.zip in the SAME folder as the roms 2) to have a good romset.

Now for stuff like KoF 97-99, Prehistoric Isle 2, Last Blade 1 & 2 etc. there are official Wii VC releases for those.
Also there's the Metal Slug Collection (MS 1-6 & MSX), Samurai Showdown Collection and the KoF Collection as retail releases.

@SomewhatGroovy
FAT32, primary partition and set to active.

For just Wii games, NTFS will do as well.

Axass

I have a question.

Bought No More Heroes NTSC US version years ago, due to the PAL version being censored, tried a bunch of different programs to make it work region free on my PAL Wii (I'll look up the names of the programs later if you need to know), and it did work, only in black and white. Is that a common problem? Am I doing something wrong, do I need a specific cable and/or tv?

I still haven't played NMH due to the problem and I have the sequel shrink-wrapped on my shelf.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Not 100% how it is on the Wii, but I remember needing an RGB cable for import games on my PSX or else I'd get a black & white picture. You might also try to force a different video mode in Gecko (PAL60).

Platy

ALL Neogeo roms that are smaller than 42.7 MB run on RA Wii Neo Geo core. I have 125 Neo Geo games running flawlessly. Just make sure 1) to have the neogeo.zip in the SAME folder as the roms 2) to have a good romset.

Now for stuff like KoF 97-99, Prehistoric Isle 2, Last Blade 1 & 2 etc. there are official Wii VC releases for those.
Also there's the Metal Slug Collection (MS 1-6 & MSX), Samurai Showdown Collection and the KoF Collection as retail releases.

@SomewhatGroovy
FAT32, primary partition and set to active.

For just Wii games, NTFS will do as well.

Good call on the retail releases...

Do you know what are the avaliable controllers for the Neo Geo VC stuff ?
I only have one Classic Controller and getting a fighting game without the option to 2 player versus is kinda sad =(

I have a question.

Bought No More Heroes NTSC US version years ago, due to the PAL version being censored, tried a bunch of different programs to make it work region free on my PAL Wii (I'll look up the names of the programs later if you need to know), and it did work, only in black and white. Is that a common problem? Am I doing something wrong, do I need a specific cable and/or tv?

I still haven't played NMH due to the problem and I have the sequel shrink-wrapped on my shelf.

Agreed, that does sound to me like something where you could have the loader force a different video mode (PAL60 sounds right). USB Loader GX might should be able to do that for the game in its loader settings, if I'm not mistaken. Running PAL in NTSC or vice versa tends to result in a black and white picture (if not also a jumping picture if differing framerates are involved).

Good call on the retail releases...

Do you know what are the avaliable controllers for the Neo Geo VC stuff ?
I only have one Classic Controller and getting a fighting game without the option to 2 player versus is kinda sad =(

On the VC releases, since the Neo Geo games only require 4 buttons and a start button, stock Wii Remotes, Classic Controllers, and GameCube controllers are all supported. I know that this is actually a plus over at least the Metal Slug collection in the disc retail collections, which only supports the Wii Remote, IIRC. Obviously, the Wii Remote alone is going to be a bit awkward having to use the A and B buttons for fighting games with your left hand, but it's usable. Just be aware for Classic Controllers on the Neo Geo VC games that since the button assignments are the same for all games, sometimes you get weird stuff like punches being assigned to the lower buttons (A + B) and kicks to the high ones, and it seems like it's mostly only the later release Neo Geo AES games (Last Blade, KOF 98) that allow you to reassign buttons through an options menu.

A heads up, nintendont 2.261 is out and finally, NC beta is official now. This means that all GC games are now playable with wiimote and nunchuck with the vanilla nintendont version. There are 7 configs/mappings that you can change on the fly depending on your preference. Config pics here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont-wiimote-nunchuck-support-discussions.371356/
and info, download link here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/page-1055#post-5222400

I have been participating in the beta for the past couple of months and i have ran almost all of my 160 GC games with those controls, Personally I use naggers for most games (my config) and Shooter config for FPS & TPS games.
Give them some time and they work wonderfully, especially FPS games... Timesplitters & Nightfire with IR controls, YES please!

Storm360

So, I have a Wii U and I have a original Wii, I'm interested in USB loading and playing GameCube games

What system should I use? I'd like to keep my Wii U stock if possible, is there any major advantages to using it?

Platy

So, I have a Wii U and I have a original Wii, I'm interested in USB loading and playing GameCube games

What system should I use? I'd like to keep my Wii U stock if possible, is there any major advantages to using it?

You can use the Wii to usb loading since it requires more instals and let the WiiU be used for gamecube since it basicaly only requires the homebrew channel AND you have the bonus of using the Wii U Pro controller, wich is basicaly the next best thing next to a gamecube controller (and if you have the gamecube adapter you can use too)

Z..

Ok, about to install homebrew on my Wii U so I can finally play Trauma Team, Fatal Frame IV and Excitebots (I'm in Europe).

Are there any other games I should be paying attention to?

Top Bottom