• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

MilkBeard

I played most of SO5 and enjoyed it for what was there. Sure, I wish it was a bigger budget game, longer, etc, but it was fun and now makes me that much more annoyed when JRPGs don't let me use the whole party in battle at once.

Setsuna was just aggressively mediocre without anything of note to pull me in (SO5 at least had combat and I liked their dialogue mostly happening during player control, and of course SO is a franchise I already have affection for).

Yep, despite Star Ocean 5 being a disappointing Star Ocean and rather safe RPG, it is actually quite fun to play.

Svejk

I switched from FFV(DS) to FFIX. V was a bit too old school in a boring way. FFIX on an emulator really makes the odd art direction come alive.
Back in the day, I practically despised the direction they went with on IX, but now, I'm coming around and taking it for what it is.

Finally getting a hang of Xenoblade Chronicles X too. It was awfully intimidating at first, but I'm getting a better grip on the menus and game flow.... Plus, most of the music is actually good... most.

Currently finishing up Etrian Odyssey 4. Really dig the combat and options and making a map of a dungeon is a really calming experience lol. I have EOU from a sale a while back so I may go onto that next or may go to SMT4A.

Finished Fire Emblem: Awakening thought it was very good, and supposedly the sequels are great too but I will be holding off on those for a while. My 3DS and in general backlog is still massive.

Moving on to Odin Sphere on Vita as my handheld commute/lunch break game. Going to start NIer: Automata again now too.

Soar

Nier:Automata, second time round on hard and taking my time,
sacrificed my save the last game, no regrets
. Every play session is fun and engaging though.

Also playing Tales of Zestiria, as a very low key sort of engagement. Feels like i'm watching an anime to be honest, the mechanics are so-so but the banter can be funny. Actually surprised I've taken to a character. I guess it pays to go in with low expectations, my first Tales game too.

Just started KH 1.5 Remix, and just like Zestiria above I'm going on about it very casually while listening to podcasts or reading up materials. Treating it like an interactive cartoon and it's been quite fun so far, except for the horrible starting island. Really shows its age there.

On the handheld side of things, Persona 4 Golden on the vita, before bed with SO, for the story beats. Seems like a handful to juggle so many but I am taking my time and playing 20-40minutes each session when I am free so it's not too bad.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
I've started playing Etrian Odyssey III, after getting halfway through IV a few months ago. I like the variety of classes in the starting roster more than IV. The game is pretty difficult, as my team was destroyed by one Lynx. Hopefully I can finish this one and continue with IV soon.

bluethree

FFXII

Also put on hold

>Valkyria Chronicles (at the end but the battles in this game are pretty long so I've been putting it off for months now)
-Persona 5 replay (4th palace, don't have any problems with just leaving it for now and getting back to it when I clear some of my backlog).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Finishing up Trails the 3rd, up to the final series of battles right now. After this I might go back to Zelda, or start obscure Dreamcast action rpg "EGG".

C.Mongler

Trying for the love of god to finish Persona 5 soon; I've had it since the day it came out. I don't get a ton of time to game, to say the least. I'm at about 85 hours, on the final dungeon, hoping to finish it in the next week or so.

Probably going to be my last JRPG for a bit. Need to play something a bit more leisurely.

Fou-Lu

Xenosaga Episode I and loving it. Really worried about how much people seem to hate Episode II, but as a big Monolith Soft fan I knew I had to play the Xenosaga series.

Ralemont

not me
Xenosaga Episode I and loving it. Really worried about how much people seem to hate Episode II, but as a big Monolith Soft fan I knew I had to play the Xenosaga series.

2 is actually my favorite. It has a clearer battle system (in terms of what you wanna aim for to be good at it) and especially the story really focuses on a few characters and takes ample time to flesh them out and tell a complete story. 3 is really good too, though. 1 is the one I didn't like too much.

Also, 2 has one of the best title screens ever.

gweemz

Persona 5. Feels a lot more demanding of my time than 4 did, but maybe that's because I could play my Vita in bed. I'm only at the second dungeon, and don't know if I should keep playing or not.

Skulldead

I think it's probably going to be a little less worse then when the game got at release, i mean you know a little what to expect.

And nobody will never to tell me Xenosaga 2 had a good battle system, it was one of the most stupid unbalanced mess i ever played. Also the load time are crazy, it even feel like the game load when you kill a single enemies during fight...The side quest tack-on were a mess and boring. And the fact they change stories focus because they clearly want to focus on less character over the course of more game, clearly shows and made some of my favorite character from the first game useless for the narrative, other then "hey i exist in this universe !" . The biggest plus of this game was how short it was, and hoo god i was happy when the credit start roiling.

A chance Xenosaga 3 save the day !

ignata

Just finished Final Fantasy V. I liked the job system but was so pinpoint focused on just finishing this game that I didn't get very deep into it. I could appreciate some of the combinations of skills at a basic level though. Still, I did a ton of XP and ABP grinding so was able to unlock some of the more unusual skills. I know I missed a bunch just focusing on getting to the end, and while I kept my levels up to breeze through most of the game, the final boss was rough. I ended up grinding another ten levels and maxing out a couple jobs to finish. I finally finished them off with everyone knocked out except one of my party, left with 4 HP. I know that means I
didn't get the good ending
but I was okay with that.

So now I've finished FF I, II, V, and X and am not sure where to go next...

Shifty1897

I have been just tearing through FFXII on PS4. Like, 50 hours in the last two weeks, which is unheard of for me. 38/40 hunts done, 2 optional Espers obtained. I might be going for my second platinum ever.

Teggy

Big accomplishment for me as I finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. I think that makes like 3 jrpgs finished in my lifetime XD. I'm giving Dragon Quest 9 another shot now.

Xenosaga 2 probably gets more hate than it deserves. But if you don't get its combat it's not going to be pretty and that's where much of the harsh feelings towards that game come from. On the other hand, you've got Xenosaga 3 right afterward which is a masterpiece and started up the string of kick-ass Monolith Soft Titles after Baten Kaitos Origins.

Justinh

The original Dragon Warrior on NES. Took a while to get uh... re-accustomed to such an old-school interface and "stairs," but I'm enjoying my time with it, grinding and all.

I am using a guide though. I used to the kind of person to look down on myself for doing that, but these days I just don't care.

Just finished Tales of Xilla 2. Really enjoyed it. I'm going back to playing Ni No Kuni. I'm near the end and need to find better familiar to level up to high 90's

Myriadis

The Last Story

Now I have all three operation Rainfall games. So far I am at chapter 15 and stuck at that mysterious spider. So far I like it, especially the tactical-based Action-Rpg battle system but all in all I would consider it the weakest of the three, especially because of the very cliched story and strict linear design of the missions apart from the hub town. At least there are strong characters and some good writing.

Still a damn good game, and the hub town is lovely.

Newk86

Currently playing Bravely Default. On hard mode with no network features or extra companion option etc. 30 hours in.

Story is okay, super simple and a throwback to older SNES RPG days. In fact, it just hit me the other day that the story feels almost like a straight clone of the one in FFV - a game I hated. Even has a job system too like FFV, but with IMO a way superior turn based gambling style battle system.

Immersion is a bit low due to tiny towns and pretty much portable nature of the game in general etc. Nevertheless would totally recommended it over FFV at the very least, even at just this far in.

Really enjoy the voice acting, but most of all the challenge! Wow probably gameovered at least once on every boss so far. Actually have to make use of scan skill in this game to scan for weak points, and am seriously scrounging up all that extra gear. Hidden paths in dungeons so cool, and actual unlockable skills that work on world map etc rather than just getting gifted everything these days.

BTW before this I just completed Horizon on the hardest difficulty (pre-patched one) and pre-DLC. And before that Fire Emblem: Awakening on hard, permanent death, and likewise no DLC. Ended up giving both of those games 3/5 for comparison, so interested to see how BD stacks up post completion.

Fou-Lu

About to finished Xenosaga Episode I.

Next week I am heading back home for two weeks and am trying to decide on some RPGs to bring with me on my DS, 3DS, Vita or Switch (not much for options here!). Suggestions?

Returned to Persona 2: Innocent Sin after a hiatus. The story is extremely captivating, but the combat is soooooo slow even with animation skipping. Not to mention the game is really easy so far even on hard mode. I'm seriously considering switching it to easy just in the hopes of making the dungeons go by a little faster.

Gonna keep powering my way through it hopefully, but it's tough not to get distracted by other games when the pacing of the gameplay is so tiresome.

Fou-Lu

About to finished Xenosaga Episode I.

Next week I am heading back home for two weeks and am trying to decide on some RPGs to bring with me on my DS, 3DS, Vita or Switch (not much for options here!). Suggestions?

Leaning toward Vagrant Story or FFX-2 on my Vita, Disgaea 5 on my Switch, or Dragon Quest VII or SMTIV on my 3DS. I didn't really want to play SMTIV before I finally beat Nocturne, but since they aren't connected maybe I should just let that hang up go.

Just finished Ni No Kuni last night. Really enjoyed the final battle. I thought the ending was ok though.

Next up going to play Record of Agarest War 2, than Resonance of Fates.

I hope you love it! Definitely post impressions here and in the import thread!

Curious to hear your impressions once you sink your teeth into it. The only Dragon Quest game I really played was VIII, and I hear XI follows in its footsteps.

Just a heads up that you'll be getting impressions from someone with minimal Japanese proficiency (but I've played through many imports in the past).

I've played VII, VIII, IX, Builders, and the Heroes games before.

Thud

After finishing Zero, I started Ao with an english spreadsheet nearby. Not ideal, but it works to fill my curiosity.

I was expecting zero arts to be in this game, but the evolution games introduced that I guess. Now well into chapter 2 during that one event that was hinted in Cold Steel (spoilers):

The West Zemuria Trade Conference and the terrorist attacks.

Returned to Persona 2: Innocent Sin after a hiatus. The story is extremely captivating, but the combat is soooooo slow even with animation skipping. Not to mention the game is really easy so far even on hard mode. I'm seriously considering switching it to easy just in the hopes of making the dungeons go by a little faster.

Gonna keep powering my way through it hopefully, but it's tough not to get distracted by other games when the pacing of the gameplay is so tiresome.
You'll want to have demons with the trafuri (escape) and estoma (repel) skills. Also save a lot in dungeons and use a guide for demon negotations.

Rosur2a

FF XII Zodiac Age HD.

Gonna be going back to my second playthrough of Persona 5 after I've done with FFXII then want to complete Yakuza 0 before starting on Kiwami (don't know if these count as JRPGs)

Zakalwe

Banned
FF12 - Just started, enjoying it so far. My first time playing and the main draw is the gambit system. I loved setting up party builds for my AI in Guild Wars 1, and I equally enjoyed the commands you could set up in Dragon Age: Origins. Being able to speed up gameplay at the touch of a button is a great feature.

The game is stunning, too. Even though it's had visual upgrades the character models and art design in general seems to be pretty timeless.

I played this for a few hours when it released, I can't remember why I stopped but I'm glad I did if what I've read about the improvements are to be believed. This has the potential to be in my top 3 FF...

P5 - Got to the beach scenario and stopped. I really enjoyed it but just lost interest for a while. I intend to pick it up again, not sure how I'll feel about that if FF12 manages to live up to the potential I'm seeing though...

eXistor

I was playing FFXII Zodiac Age, but for the longest time I wanted to replay Lunar 2, so I somewhat randomly started playing that yesterday just to get a taste. I put about 7 hours into it already. I might just drop FFXII for now which isn't doing much for me anymore (loved the game back in the day though).

With Zodiac Age, I found myself just literally skipping every cutscene and playing the entire game on double speed, which is an indication I'm not willing to put in any serous time.

Lunar 2 (the PS1 version btw) on the other hand is still a complete delight and much more interesting to play in this day and age (that game would NOT fly in todays overly pc world). I find myself talking to every npc multiple times because they always have something funny or interesting to say. I love the simplicity of it all and I realized today's rpg's are mostly just burdened by a ton of busywork instead of being a focused experience like in the old days.

I've made a sort of sort-list of old favorties I wanted to replay, but I figure it would take me years to actually get to them, but man, Lunar 2 is such a fresh experience again I might have to bump those other games up a few notches instead of trudging through modern rpg's.

Phantasy Star 4

Amazing game. I played that for the first time ever last year and was seriously impressed. PSII was a huge favorite of mine when it came out, but for some reason I never got to PSIV. Mostly because I didn't have the money and it was never available where I lived.

It's quickly cemented itself as a favorite for me.

kubricks

In: Nier Automata
Playing on hard on my 3rd playthrough has given me new perspective of this game. Instead of charging in, tank the attacks and kill eveything I now need to plan my attack and use my items. A great games just gets even better now.

Out: Trials in the Sky the 3rd
Despite loving TITS CH1/2 and Cold Steel 1/2, I am not really enjoying much on the 3rd. I just got
Joshua
and I get what the game is trying to do, all the lores felt great too,bBut the main story lacks focus and motivation like the others and I find it hard to continue. I guess I have to put it down for a while.

Top Bottom