• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I tried to play Horizon after Zelda, and the lack of motion control aiming upset me

Kuro

Great now the dumb details video is getting posted again. If this wasn't already turning into a BotW vs Horizon thread.

Wamb0wneD

I am being to think many Nintendo fans just look act games differently. Sure some things are not as good as zelda but honestly after playing both I would say exploration and traversal are probably the only things I would say are sub par in horizon. I would say puzzles buy horizon a rely tries at that.

Story, combat, performance, graphics are far from sub par and I would go as far to say make botw feel subpar.

What about physics or how wind, fire and lightning can interact with each other, the world and link? Or general gameplay variety? That horizon barely does puzzles doesn't make BotW's puzzles disappear, just like stuff like the Lost Woods and Eventide Island exist even though Horizon has nothing like them.

Great now the dumb details video is getting posted again. If this wasn't already turning into a BotW vs Horizon thread.

Whats so dumb about it? It just highlights a part of game design Zelda focused more on than Horizon, just like Horizon put more focus on story for example. Don't know why its ok to point that out but not bringing up that video.

Jubenhimer

I haven't played either game yet. But I will say, more developers need to embrace gyro assisted aiming. It's much better than traditional console aiming. Saddly, I think the reason they don't do it is because they're afraid of the "lol waggle" stigma motion controls unfortunately developed.

because most don't agree with you...the bow combat is sublime....Motion control aiming sucks.

It isn't that bad, give it a go if you haven't already. That said, there's no substitute for traditional controls.

Not a fan of motion controls. People who get good at that shit tho have a very clear advantage over players who use the sticks.

I guess it depends on the game, motion control are a right pain than your usual traditional controls when playing ARMS.

Level design and how static and scripted the world is in horizon pretty much blows in comparison to Zelda, which is more like old pc games in how the world works rather than the ultra scripted Ubisoft model horizon follows.

I got like 8 hours into horizon before getting bored and uninstalling it. It's just another generic open world game, albeit a pretty one for sure.

Horizon a generic open world game? Good Lord......im out

mingo

I felt exactly the same, tried to "fine tune" the aiming in Horizon like in BOTW. After a few hours i did get use to it tho.

I'm not one for motion controls at all, but BOTW was a mix of both. Aim generally in the direction with the anolog, then slight adjustment to get the correct aim. I think people think you have to aim solely with motion controls which would suck imo

Wamb0wneD

And there are details that work in favour of Horizon that are completely absent in BotW.

Such as, apart from the obvious graphical showcase? And nobody stops anyone from making a video about it and I would be the last person to condemn such a thing being made and posted here. I'm actually interested in it.

Kuro

What about physics or how wind, fire and lightning can interact with each other, the world and link? Or general gameplay variety? That horizon barely does puzzles doesn't make BotW's puzzles disappear, just stuff like the Lost Woods and Eventide Island exist even though Horizon has nothing like them.

Whats so dumb about it? It just highlights a part of game design Zelda focused more on than Horizon, just like Horizon put more focus on story for example. Don't know why its ok to point that out but not bringing up that video.

Its fine to point these things out even though the games ultimately aim for completely different things but in past threads its just being used to shit talk Horizon because it doesn't have the interactivity with the environment that BotW has.

RRockman

Banned
It isn't that bad, give it a go if you haven't already. That said, there's no substitute for traditional controls.

I guess it depends on the game, motion control are a right pain than your usual traditional controls when playing ARMS.

This is the worst possible example you could have used to back up your point.

Don't discount the video. Horizon is a wonderful game that focuses on story first (and succeeds). Breath of the Wild focuses on mechanics and interactivity first (and succeeds). The video is a knee-jerk reaction to those claiming complete environmental superiority in Horizon, but that's not what Horizon goes for. Horizon goes for the big cinematic elements that all first party Sony titles love and BotW couldn't pull off. That said, BotW is all about the environment in ways that Horizon can't pull off.

TLDR: Both games are going for different things, but we shouldn't discount either's strengths.

As for the topic, I actually turned off motion pretty early on in BotW and don't feel like I miss it. What I wish Horizon did better was the bow combat. Long shots should arc, and judging the arc is where the skill and fun come in. Without it I feel like it's more of a shooter with long charge shots.

They are details that make a world more immersive imo.

brb, putting together a BoTW vs New Vegas comparison that fixates specifically on NPC interaction, object persistence, and complex, open-ended questlines.

There'll be a side-by-side shot of me dropping a weapon in both games and coming back to that location two hours later to grab it
There'll be a side-by-side shot of me engaging in dialogue with NPCs and observing dialogue trees and diverging character reactions
There'll be a side-by-side shot of me completing Beyond the Beef alongside that Rushroom quest in BoTW

and I shall call it New Vegas vs BoTW: Comparing the Details, because there could not possibly be a better name to give to such an unbiased and good-faith video

Such as, apart from the obvious graphical showcase? And nobody stops anyone from making a video about it and I would be the last person to condemn such a thing being made and posted here.

Do you want me to list you a number of things you can do in Horizon which are absent in BotW?

Bold One

I'm not interested in buying Horizon ZD anymore after watching this not joking wow Guerrilla Games put no care into their game no little details ...

There a second part too yikes

https://youtu.be/qEGWtyJAkO0

CY3lMMn.gif

If that's all it takes to lose your interest, then you weren't really interested to begin with. Zelda fans baffling obsession with Horizon is truly a sight to behold.

tzare

They are details that make a world more immersive imo.
Many things make a world more immersive. Not just a few, sometimes really exaggerated physics, like cutting small trees with swords. If not mistaken some robots can destroy trees in horizon.
And i am sure horizon really pushes the hardware, especially the CPU, so they focused on what they though it mattered.
You can nitpick either way, that arrow in the video that falls hundreds of meters away doesn't seem very real to me, as the way that fire spreads in green grass...

As for motion aiming, need to be an option if the hardware supports it. Why not?

Wamb0wneD

Its fine to point these things out even though the games ultimately aim for completely different things but in past threads its just being used to shit talk Horizon because it doesn't have the interactivity with the environment that BotW has.

I've seen just as many, nah, way more people pointing out how Horizon has a better story than Zelda, and rightfully so from what i could gather. Are these people shitposters now? As you said, the games strive for different things, but I don't get why that is used in a discussion about the games.

You can just handwave the missing physics or puzzles in Horizon or the mediocre to boring story in Zelda with that argument, making discussion obsolete.
Maybe that's what people want considering how discussions between those two games went so far, though.

Do you want me to list you a number of things you can do in Horizon which are absent in BotW?

I know of a couple of things, but besides being able to fight giant robo dinosaurs with a really engaging combat system nothing is there in terms of gameplay systems where I think it surpasses Zelda.
That's just preference, mind you, but the way the physics interact in that game with the elements and Link's ablities and himself is something special and I value that greatly.

CY3lMMn.gif

If that's all it takes to lose your interest, then you weren't really interested to begin with. Zelda fans baffling obsession with Horizon is truly a sight to behold.
Maybe read the title of the thread you're posting in again. Nobody forced you to participate. In the thread about Horizons latest patch i saw multiple people bashing on Zelda and it's fans without anyone else even mentioning it. In a Horizon thread. That was a sight to behold as well.

Also wanted to point out that you're the only one attacking a fanbase so far, nobody did so on the other "side". Isn't it kinda sad you have to resort to such things?

I love all the people in the thread puffing their chests about not even trying. There's a good reason why pretty much nobody is saying "I tried them for a few days, but still prefer analog sticks". :)

Tried them once, found them awkward, turned them off and never looked back and now I'm surprised people like 'em. Not really sure what riles you up so much.

Orayn

Gyro aiming works incredibly well when you get used to it. Having a combination of the stick for broad camera movements and tilting to quickly fine-tune your aim brings it much more in line with Wiiimote levels of precision, which is to say, better than analog alone by an enormous margin.

rekameohs

Banned
I've gotta say, going to other third person games (Horizon, Uncharted, etc.) is a little harder without the "gryo for minute adjustments" thing from BOTW. I'm really surprised about that since gyro stuff has never been my cup of tea, and things like Splatoon's never clicked for me. But Zelda really made it work, and it's just subconscious now.

Edit: and here comes all the stupid fanboy crap. They're all good, ffs

gdt

I gotta say I came in totally against gyro but got used to it. It's really good for fine tuning your shot. Use the stick to aim then the gyro for the headshot.

I'd like to see it on PS4 yeah. Even as just an option.

Bold One

Maybe read the title of the thread you're posting in again. Nobody forced you to participate. In the thread about Horizons latest patch i saw multiple people bashing on Zelda without anyone else even mentioning it. In a Horizon thread. That was a sight to behold as well.

Read the OP - as to whether I participate in a thread or not your concern.

Plase, move on.

Was Zelda mentioned in the OP or Thread title?

Attack? really???!

RefigeKru

Banned
I played on the hardest setting at the time, which has no auto aim and I found the aiming amazing.

Can't really understand how people have trouble with it tbh, but I've always been good with Dual analog. Not saying git gud, just my own experience - made some crazy last second shots whew.

RRockman

Banned
Do explain what you mean, mate.

ARMS managed to NAIL Motion controls to the point that you have an edge when you using motion. If you take the time to get used to it you will stomp tremendously. It's fine tuned enough to that you can easily punch around obstacles and the other opponents speeding fists with the default toasters with a twist of the wrist.

Even the Devs have gone on record saying that when they get serious they use the motion controls. This isn't idle talk either considering Yabuki's preformance at the ARMS exhibition Tournament back at e3.

I'm not interested in buying Horizon ZD anymore after watching this not joking wow Guerrilla Games put no care into their game no little details ...

There a second part too yikes

https://youtu.be/qEGWtyJAkO0

Dude named GearsFourth with a shit post in an Horizon thread.....shocker lol.

I've seen just as many, nah, way more people pointing out how Horizon has a better story than Zelda, and rightfully so from what i could gather. Are these people shitposters now? As you said, the games strive for different things, but I don't get why that is used in a discussion about the games.

Maybe read the title of the thread you're posting in again. Nobody forced you to participate. In the thread about Horizons latest patch i saw multiple people bashing on Zelda and it's fans without anyone else even mentioning it. In a Horizon thread. That was a sight to behold as well.

Also wanted to point out that you're the only one attacking a fanbase so far, nobody did so on the other "side". Isn't it kinda sad you have to resort to such things?
Thread title doesn't justify shitposting......

phanphare

Banned
I played on the hardest setting at the time, which has no auto aim and I found the aiming amazing.

Can't really understand how people have trouble with it tbh, but I've always been good with Dual analog. Not saying git gud, just my own experience - made some crazy last second shots whew.

it's not necessarily about having trouble with stick only aiming (though for me personally it is super clunky) it's about a better option existing and the DS4 having the hardware to implement it

Wamb0wneD

Read the OP - as to whether I participate in a thread or not your concern.

Plase, move on.

Was Zelda mentioned in the OP or Thread title?

Here? Yes. In the Horizon patch thread, no it wasn't. Talk about obsession.
And I'll gladly move on after i repeat what i edited in my last post: that it's kinda odd that you're the first person to come in here and attack an entire fanbase instead to sticking with normal arguments. Way to engage in a discussion. If you call that participating in a thread, go ahead.

Fanboys shitting on the opposing franchise especially for things outside of analog vs gyro is pretty disappointing and has nothing to do with the thread.
I actually disabled Motion Control aiming in Zelda. That shit is not for me. I can't believe people want that in all games. SMH.
It's an option in most Nintendo game that feature it.
So yes, I want that in more games.

phanphare

Banned
I actually disabled Motion Control aiming in Zelda. That shit is not for me. I can't believe people want that in all games. SMH.

so you disabled something aka it was an option that allowed you to play how you wanted to play but you don't want other people to have that option as well? SMH

PetrCobra

It's not that analog stick aiming can't be fun and accurate (it all depends on the design and implementation of the controls), it's the fact that gyro assist make it more fun, accurate and intuitive in BOTW. If you play the game and get used to the gyro assist, you just kind of expect to play all games like that from that moment on, just because it becomes second nature.

Dude named GearsFourth with a shit post in an Horizon thread.....shocker lol.

Hey your back! I figured you dipped out after finding out how wrong you were about gyro controls vs analog.

Glad to see you owned up!

And I agree with OP. Gyro control aiming in BOTW is amazing. I haven't finished Horizon because motion controls being a huge reason. I am already on my second go with BOTW too after dlc. Can't wait to use the gyro aiming in Splatoon 2 and own those analog only users.

Hey your back! I figured you dipped out after finding out how wrong you were about gyro controls vs analog.

I'm not wrong..for me they suck. Always have, always will. Only time I never minded motion controls is in VR, that's a different ballgame. Could care less really, why would I dip out because of that? I don't jump on GAF 24 hours a day.

seady

Aiming with a stick feels very archaic nowadays. It's slow and imprecise during fierce combat. Gyro is much quicker and actually more realistic too.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
brb, putting together a BoTW vs New Vegas comparison that fixates specifically on NPC interaction, object persistence, and complex, open-ended questlines.

There'll be a side-by-side shot of me dropping a weapon in both games and coming back to that location two hours later to grab it
There'll be a side-by-side shot of me engaging in dialogue with NPCs and observing dialogue trees and diverging character reactions
There'll be a side-by-side shot of me completing Beyond the Beef alongside that Rushroom quest in BoTW

and I shall call it New Vegas vs BoTW: Comparing the Details, because there could not possibly be a better name to give to such an unbiased and good-faith video
That would be more disengenous as New Vegas is an FPS. Horizon and Zelda are directly comparable due to both being open world action RPGs that draw from the same influence like Far Cry. A LOT could be done to make Horizon Zero Dawn more immersive with more things than just visuals. I'm actually willing to bet that the sequel will focus less on graphical improvements, (they already set the bar high) and moreso on systemic immersion as the games it's influenced by are already doing that. Like the gap in immersion between Watch Dogs and WD2.

so you disabled something aka it was an option that allowed you to play how you wanted to play but you don't want other people to have that option as well? SMH

When did I say I don't want it to be as an option in other games? I just said I can't believe people want that option in other games. I just dismissed it after using few times, thinking its just a gimmick that no-one will probably use. But here we are, many people actually liked it and prefer to use it, which I found unbelievable.

I guess I'm that dinosaur that always turns off motions controls

You are not alone. I turn it off too.

Wamb0wneD

I'm not wrong..for me they suck. Always have, always will. Only time I never minded motion controls is in VR, that's a different ballgame. Could care less really, why would I dip out because of that? I don't jump on GAF 24 hours a day.

And that's cool. You don't have to make up stuff like competitive people not using gyro controls or them being less accurate than analogue sticks though. Those are things that can be objectively measured, and you were wrong on both accounts. Also..

Yeah?

And that's cool. You don't have to make up stuff like competitive people not using gyro controls or them being less accurate than analogue sticks. Those are things that can be objectively measured, and you were wrong on both accounts.

Cool..what happens now, do you win something? You have never been wrong in your life? Impressive.

You were wrong though. Your personally preference isint a fact. Splatoon 1 on the higher competitive levels is all motion controls aiming. It's FAR more accurate then analog.

phanphare

Banned
When did I say I don't want it to be as an option in other games? I just said I can't believe people want that option in other games. I just dismissed it after using few times, thinking its just a gimmick that no-one will probably use. But here we are, many people actually liked it and prefer to use it, which I found unbelievable.

ha ok, just thought this was a little extra "I can't believe people want that in all games. SMH."

Top Bottom