• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help identifying 90's Disney show

Dram

The most I can remember, is that the show starred a Greek-American girl who had a Black boyfriend, which upset her racist Dad. There was one episode where she convinced her Dad to allow her boyfriend to work at his store, but he later said her Boyfriend stole money from him. The boyfriend denied it, but the Dad fired him and the boyfriend left the store. After he left though, the girl found the money under the register and the Dad admitted he forgot he put it there. The girl then asked her Dad to give her boyfriend his job back, but the Dad refused and she ends up leaving to chase after her boyfriend.

Was it a TV show or a Disney Channel Original Movie that dealt with racism

the color of friendship was the only one that dealt with racism from what i remember. but definitely now this lol.

growing up disney i don't think i ever seen or heard anything what OP is talking about. maybe it's not 90s or disney. it could be from abc family or whatever it was called .

Dram

It could have been a movie and I thought it was on the Disney channel, but I could be wrong about that too. Maybe it was on an affiliated channel.

Tom Nook

It would be an old show from The Family Channel or FOX Family Channel. Then ABC bought the channel in 2001.

lenovox1

It would be an old show from The Family Channel or FOX Family Channel. Then ABC bought the channel in 2001.

I don't believe FOX Family or the Family Channel had original dramatic programing. Those channels stuck to Christian or spiritual content, children's game shows and children's animation.

OP, I think you are just trying to gaslight us. Your description does not sound like anything the House of Mouse would touch even with a 10 feet pole.

Hazmat

DISNEY ?
90's?

No way a show like this would ever air in the Disney channel.

I'm pretty sure the Disney Channel aired reruns of Boy Meets World and other tame ABC sitcoms in the 90s, this doesn't seem to be a big step outside of that. I remember it being stuff for very little kids until mid-late afternoon after which they targeted older elementary and middle-school kids.

Classic Ghostwriter.

After the Dad refuses to give the boyfriend his job back, Ghostwriter comes in and trashes the store while writing really hateful shit on the walls.

Just kidding. But that is totally something Ghostwriter would have done.

Dishwalla

Banned
Before like 1997 Disney Channel was a paid subscription channel on most cable providers, wasn't until after 97 that it started to become a basic cable channel. Don't really remember much of the channel back then but we had it, mainly remember watching reruns of Disney Afternoon shows, old Disney cartoons like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, some old shows like Zorro, and The Torkelsons. There was a lot of weird programming on the channel in the early 90s, so I think something fitting the OPs description is possible, doesn't ring any bells to me though.

Ganhyun

I don't recall anything like this on Disney Channel back in the day.

Closest I recall is the Color of Friendship (already mentioned) and Shawn on Boy Meets World dating Angela.

Tom Nook

Classic Ghostwriter.

After the Dad refuses to give the boyfriend his job back, Ghostwriter comes in and trashes the store while writing really hateful shit on the walls.

I remember an episode where the video rental store owner blames to the black kid for burning his store.

It turns out that the owner was the one who burns the store because the FBI caught him duplicating videotapes.

Slayven

Classic Ghostwriter.

Remember how Ghostwriter was afraid of dogs, it turned out Ghostwriter was an escaped slave that was mauled to death by dogs

Saganator

Can't remember the name of the show, it wasn't on Disney, but what OP describes sounds kinda like that show that took place in a big urban city school, I think New York. Fuck, I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. It had a really diverse cast and had episodes about race and stuff. It was basically Saved by the Bell but with brown kids in an east coast city.

StylusX

Can't remember the name of the show, it wasn't on Disney, but what OP describes sounds kinda like that show that took place in a big urban city school, I think New York. Fuck, I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. It had a really diverse cast and had episodes about race and stuff. It was basically Saved by the Bell but with brown kids in an east coast city.

City guys?

The most I can remember, is that the show starred a Greek-American girl who had a Black boyfriend, which upset her racist Dad. There was one episode where she convinced her Dad to allow her boyfriend to work at his store, but he later said her Boyfriend stole money from him. The boyfriend denied it, but the Dad fired him and the boyfriend left the store. After he left though, the girl found the money under the register and the Dad admitted he forgot he put it there. The girl then asked her Dad to give her boyfriend his job back, but the Dad refused and she ends up leaving to chase after her boyfriend.
Ready or Not. It was a Canadian show.
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0106110/

What !? Really ?!

Whoa holy shit I had to look that one up:

The producers' intent was to reveal Ghostwriter to be "a famous 15th- to 16th-century writer, but not Shakespeare" at the end of the first season, although this eventually never happened.

D.J. MacHale, who wrote the pilot episode, stated: "If memory serves, Ghostwriter was supposed to be an ancestor of Jamal's, who was an escaped slave from the south who educated himself and learned the value of reading."

According to producer and writer Kermit Frazier, "”Ghostwriter was a runaway slave during the Civil War. He was killed by slave catchers and their dogs as he was teaching other runaway slaves how to read in the woods. His soul was kept in the book and released once Jamal discovered the book."

EDIT (link):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ghostwriter_characters

lunchtoast

What as that show on Disney where these people were transported to a new world where the bad guys had armor and had magic/sci-fi powers?

oh, it was Spellbinder.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Ready or Not is a Canadian teen drama television series that aired on the Showtime Movie Channel (April 1993 – 1997) and later on The Disney Channel (April 4, 1996 – 2000) and Global Television Network for five seasons and 65 episodes between 1993 and 1997 in both Canada and the United States.

OP redeemed

Oh shit Ready or Not

I was thinking that could have been it cause the best friend is like Greek or Italian but then you said it was a Disney show

Top Bottom