• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do japanese like listening to anime with foreign dubs as much as we do?

You know there must be one dude in Japan who thinks less of his friends if they don't watch Rick and Morty with Roiland's original performance.

XX0GdRE.png

RRockman

Banned
Are you asking if Japanese people like watching anime with an English dub? Why would they do that?

There is a reason kingdom Hearts final mixes ALWAYS uses the english dub. Even before we got them in the US, they always kept the english track for everyone. Thus I am inclined to belive that yes, depending on the series they do prefer the english dub.

dani_dc

Cartoons in Japan tends to be dubbed.
Even movies such as Star wars tend to have both an English dub and a Japanese susbtitles version.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Game of Thrones got dubbed.

I'd post a YouTube link, but people finding out that Ned Stark's in the show at some point may get spoiled or something.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine there's people in most countries who generally prefer original voice acting with subtitles no matter where the original comes from. I also image there's people in most countries who speak or are learning a second language who might end up seeing and preferring a dub to something made in their native language, or develop a preference for their second language altogether.

It would be weird for anyone from any country to prefer watching stuff made in their own country, dubbed to another language they don't speak, and subbed back to the original language as a general preference, but maybe one out of a billion do it.

That said, other language dubs of things like the simpsons can be fun for an episode just to see the differences, and it's sometimes nice to change languages on games you play forever, just to change up those voicelines you've heard a billion times before.

The Resident Evil games use English VA with Japanese subs in Japan because it is 'cool'.

Though recent games have started offering a Japanese VA option.

Crayolan

Do you watch american cartoons in their Japanese dub? People don't watch subs to listen to Japanese (unless you're learning the language), they watch subs because they want to view something in it's native language.

It also doesn't help that many anime dubs are of poor quality, likely because it's low budget since the market for anime is pretty niche. Watching something where you can't tell if the VA is bad or not is preferable to something in which the VA is noticeably terrible for many.

No because the Japanese can voice act.

lmao

micster

This is a dumb question, but I've got an answer. In one of my classes here in Japan, I had to give a presentation about how anime is seen in foreign countries. So after talking about dubs, I showed them a comparison [the potato chip scene from Death Note lol] and everyone laughed at how the English dub sounded, compared to how the Japanese dubbed scene was cool to them.

Only weebs believe this.

It's not the fault of English voice actors that Japanese dialogue is fucking horrendous. I legit get embarrassed when I listen to some of that stuff.

Seriously, I usually only listen in Japanese so no one else in my house can understand some of the awful dialogue.

Kenstar

I watch Japanese media in japanese
Spanish media in Spanish
French media in French
German media in German
English media in English

Goldboy

Watching anime with subs and original VA seems to be largely a result of the American fetishization of Japanese culture, so probably not.

I agree with this to an extent, but there are a massive amount of people out there who just prefer watching anything foreign in its original language, including anime.

Regiruler

I'm aware of all of these issues, but the dubbing process doesn't particularly fix this either so I'm not sure what you're point is or why it's "better' to view it dubbed.
Except a good dub will usually make a substitute that makes sense as opposed to just leaving it as an inferior experience.

petran79

Banned
I know that the Japanese voice actors of the WMT series Peter Pan, also voiced the characters of the Disney movie

Top Bottom