• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

I had a hard time finding it but I hit the originals tab it was in the list

only watched the first ep need sleep

ep1 spoiler
I really like the mice being back

Fitts

Whoa what? I had no idea this was a thing. I loved Voltron (and the rad metal toys) growing up. The stuff in the OP looks promising so I'll definitely give it a shot.

Thanks, OP! Best OT name I've ever seen on GAF!

Sou Da

Just started Episode 1, the comedic timing in this is a lot better than I thought.

The KeithxShiro yaoibait is strong, real strong.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nope. Just saying what worked for me. I tried searching for it they didn't show up until I logged out and logged back in.

Episode 3 Spoiler
Yooooooo Pidge is a girl? Cool!

Oh OK. Just checking. I don't think it's up on JP Netflix.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'll be watching this over the weekend. As an original fan of the classic show, I have to watch it. I may even get my die cast Voltron out of the bedroom closet to watch it with, lol!

Ended up watching the first episode before work. Studio Mir delivered on the visuals. Really nice use of perspective in some of the group shots. Characters move in "3D" pretty seamlessly, too.

Wasn't wowed by the writing, but the characters and their interactions are pretty fun, which is more or less what I expected. That said, the constant food/vomit/weight jokes directed toward Hunk are weak as fuck and have already gotten old. Hope they drop that nonsense.

Geist-

Ended up watching the first episode before work. Studio Mir delivered on the visuals. Really nice use of perspective in some of the group shots. Characters move in "3D" pretty seamlessly, too.

Wasn't wowed by the writing, but the characters and their interactions are pretty fun, which is more or less what I expected. That said, the constant food/vomit/weight jokes directed toward Hunk are weak as fuck and have already gotten old. Hope they drop that nonsense.

I agree with this, it got old after the 2nd time they did it.

I think Shiro, Lance, Pidge, Allura and Rhys were great, Keith on the other hand I find a pretty boring cliche. I also feel like they could have pretty easily made Pidge (or Keith honestly) a girl if they wanted to dilute the sausage fest.

Sou Da

I agree with this, it got old after the 2nd time they did it.

I think Shiro, Lance, Pidge, Allura and Rhys were great, Keith on the other hand I find a pretty boring cliche. I also feel like they could have pretty easily made Pidge (or Keith honestly) a girl if they wanted to dilute the sausage fest.

You should wait for episode 3 and come back to us.

You should wait for episode 3 and come back to us.

Lemme guess...
The rumor about Pidge being a girl turns out to be true... ::sighs:: I was hoping that was fake.

Still, finished episode one. Was I the only one grinning at the end when
Voltron had just formed and casually rips off and tosses the canon and when it lands you can see the massive scale of the damn thing? And then casually rips the ship apart?

Overall though really enjoyed it.

Sou Da

Lemme guess...
The rumor about Pidge being a girl turns out to be true... ::sighs:: I was hoping that was fake.

Still, finished episode one. Was I the only one grinning at the end when
Voltron has just formed and causually rips off and tosses the canon and when it lands you can see the massive scale of the damn thing? And then casually rips the ship apart?

Overall though really enjoyed it.

Yes, and why were you hoping it was fake?

Yes, and why were you hoping it was fake?

Generally
not really a fan of genderbending like that but I find myself more irked that the showrunners weren't up front about it from the start. I'll get over it soon enough but I'm currently not thrilled about it.

Sou Da

Generally
not really a fan of genderbending like that but I find myself more irked that the showrunners weren't up front about it from the start. I'll get over it soon enough but I'm currently not thrilled about it.

It's a secret for a reason in the plot, also notice that the character bios don't mention any pronouns for Pidge.

It's a secret for a reason in the plot, also notice that the character bios don't mention any pronouns for Pidge.

Actually they did. The weirder thing was in a recent interview with the actress she basically when comparing thoughts she said Pidge was a boy. Odder because none of what she said or the questions prior to that would have made anyone think otherwise so it kinda sticks out now.

Sou Da

Actually they did. The weirder thing was in a recent interview with the actress she basically when comparing thoughts she said Pidge was a boy. Odder because none of what she said or the questions prior to that would have made anyone think otherwise so it kinda sticks out now.

I mean the one in the OP. I knew the spoiler before I made the thread.

Oh shit, Pidge's VA played Bullet in The Killing. ;_;

AVClub gave it a B-.
Voltron: Legendary Defender will likely disappoint older viewers who are looking for The Legend Of Korra’s imagination and insight; the series is specifically geared to young boys who want to see people fight with cool weapons and robots.
Gonna call bullshit on that. LoK flirted with depth in an unsatisfying way.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Really liked the first episode. I love Hunk.

I hope they tone down the vomiting stuff. I love that the mice are back.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Ep 3.

I don't mind the change with Pidge. Though I hope they explain why she felt that she had to disguise herself.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hmm, not a bad first ep at all.

Coran reminds me of Varrik from Legend of Korra, which is a bit annoying.
Varrick.png

But I'm also glad he's not the old "hardened war vet" old man that is much too common in every modern show with a "butler" type. He's a bit comic relief, but that separates him from clearly being a father figure to Allura, and more of a trustworthy friend.

Which is nice, since her father is a machine ghost. Who has a cool design.

Speaking of Allura, I'm pretty happy with her characterization so far. I didn't know what to think of the accent at first, but it does help her feel a bit more like royalty. And I'm perfectly fine with Studio Mir giving us tanned=skin women who don't fall into the normal loud / violent tendencies many would force such a character into.

Keith looks up to Shiro, and I'm fine with that. Shiro looks imposing and leader-like, and the grey-before-his-time hair sneaks him into "Older and Wiser" territory much beyond his years, which is fun.

Hunk's Vomit / Always eating gag is already old in EP. 1, but I'm also pleasantly surprised at how competent he is otherwise. They make a good case as to WHY he's on the group, by showing him to think a bit different than the rest, in a rather useful way. He's not just comic relief, and that's appreciated.

Pidge... how in the world did you re-program alien tech instantly? Smart as hell, surely. Ignoring things I haven't seen in show yet, he's very much like I'd imagine the old Pidge to be in a modern work. Plays well off Hunk, to give a comedy edge to the show, without feeling like either character is resigned to ONLY being comedic. Feels a bit like the Toph of the show at the moment, which is ok.

Lance is Sokka. No, really... he feels so similar it's a bit jarring at times. I like his snark. It's a bit more universal in his personality than in the old series, but due to this, it makes him stand out a bit more.

I like the designs overall. But the music... is so plain and usual for a series of this type, so far. There's nothing that's stood out to me, and that's disappointing. I still hum the Various themes of Voltron to this day...

Majestic
That Mystical Harp Sturmming
Sad Princess - A personal favorite, I think of this often on Sunny days, actually...
Sand People

I would have preferred something that sounded more like it belonged in a Japanese RPG, rather than the straight-forward background filler we have here (so far).

I look forward to seeing how the rest works out. I wonder if Yurak / Sendak will get his turn at being a Ro(ast)Beast here, too..

Sou Da

Finished it. Loved the ending aside from the Dreamworks Netflix cliffhanger that has become seemingly mandated.

Doesn't seem to be up from Neflix Spain... bummer. Maybe tomorrow? (but probably not).

It should be up? There's even a Spanish dub, I've heard good things about it.

NastyBook

Ep4, those beady eyes from that
snapped back
. Agreed with SAB CA about the music. Mostly forgettable at the moment. Granted, I only remember the main theme from the original series.

NastyBook

Ep 6 Pidge
planking on a robot.
Lance being sprung as shit. "Hunk was right."

EDIT: Loved the second robeast design.

Geist-

Just started Ep.8, anyone else reminded of the first season of Avatar? I like it, but it's not perfect (like that first season), and I feel like there's a lot of potential once they find their footing and build the world some more for some really interesting, mature themes.

But maybe I'm just projecting...

Sou Da

Ep 6 Pidge
planking on a robot.
Lance being sprung as shit. "Hunk was right."

EDIT: Loved the second robeast design.
I loved how the monsters actually lived up to being challenges to Voltron, they struggled with them constantly but took out ships like it was nothing.
Just started Ep.8, anyone else reminded of the first season of Avatar? I like it, but it's not perfect (like that first season), and I feel like there's a lot of potential once they find their footing and build the world some more for some really interesting, mature themes.

Nah I get it too, especially in how characters are clearly having their development put to the side for later. (Keith)

The character designs for Rolo and Nyma (episode 6) are waaay too cool. Hope we see those two again.

Also, I'm starting to dig Keith. They aren't playing the whole "hotheaded loner" thing as straight as I thought they would. He actually comes across pretty goofy.

"We had a bonding moment! I cradled you in my arms!"

Bane

Just watched the first episode and dug it well enough. Bit too heavy on the comedy, though. There was some pretty funny stuff but they could have held back on some of it suring some of the more serious moments.

The biggest issue I have is the lack of the Voltron theme. The score in general is really generic but the theme missing is a supreme bummer.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Some of you guys are playing fast and loose with spoilers. Remember, two week spoiler tag rules.

No they aren't. I see absolutely nothing that could be reasonably considered a spoiler that's outside of spoiler tags. I have not watched a single minute of the series. Character traits and basic premise info are not spoilers. Let's not let spoilerphobia nonsense ruin a good discussion.

Raxus

I am leaning towards this as well. It has potential
Crystal Venom being my favorite out of the bunch
and the season finale goes a way to starting to realize that potential. We'll see. Looking forward to more impressions as more finish the series.

Geist-

Ep 10 Spoilers

I got really strong Avatar vibes from the conversation between Allura and that Galra guard. One of my favorite things about Avatar was how human most Fire Nation soldiers were, so I'm glad they're taking the same approach with the Galra.

Also, Allura is badass. I hope we see her fight more often.

Top Bottom