• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Users banned from Upload Studio for swearing?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This sounds like som real bullshit to me. Just let users flag videos with "bad words" in them, and then people who get offended by such words (or are young and have parental controls activated) can filter those videos out so they don't have to hear it. MS policing how people talk is not how I think this should work.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

system11

This is not a surprise.

Those who played the Xbox 360 version of Phantasy Star Universe will be more than familiar with Microsofts censoring addiction.

At one point they banned the word 'beast', which was one of the 4 usable races in the game. They also off and on banned the words 'help' and 'support', the word 'microsoft' and a whole fucking shopping list of words that either could be used for vague innuendo, or just things they didn't like. You also couldn't say God or Jesus.

And yes it WAS Microsoft, not Sega. There was a way to bypass the censor leaving you with just the Sega one, which operated differently and starred out individual words. The MS one would trash your entire sentence and ignore spaces, so often you'd keep reconstructing the sentence one word at a time trying to work out where it had picked something 'bad' up.

If they have the technology now to censor or monitor voice, you can bet they'll use it.

Update from the original Reddit post:

UPDATE: Okay I got a hold of a Microsoft representative. They've told me that my standing is "good" and don't see an issue with my account - I'm in "good standing." However, he said that there may be some issues with Skype and Upload Studio, which matches what others have been saying. There are apparently steps being made to reverse the bans. If I find anymore info, I'll post it, and if anyone finds anything else, just PM me and I'll put it up here.

Can't they just flag those videos?

I don't feel the need for Microsoft to protect me from videos in which people say the word "dick" or other naughty words. I think I can handle it.

Do we know what game it was?

I mean if it was Assassin Creed a Mature rated game.... Nobody sensitive to swearing should be playing it in the first place. This would be grade A bullshit.

If it was say Just Dance which is E rated, then it's justified.

Mindwipe

Microsoft's censorship fetish is pretty terrifying.

And they wonder why people aren't cool with letting them decide what software can and can't be installed on Windows. I can't think.

The notion that "dick" is even a swear word is just profoundly moronic that it makes my head hurt.

Vashetti

Banned
Great! Wish more companies did this.

20120520acaseofstockholmsyndrome.jpg

eival

swearing is in the TOS.

the fact that you voluntarily gave Microsoft the evidence rather than having to just happen to hear you in a random lobby is your own fault.

but be sure to fill out the post on the Xbox.com "why was i banned" forums and tell us how "my suns console got bant and i dont no why cuz i didnt do nuffin wrong" (use of 3rd and 1st person in the same sentence)

x-drake

Neo Member
Should just have a rating system, based on games and the language used...Swearing and stuff should be like 15+.

And Skype should not be monitored. They are meant to be private video calls.

Tsundere

Banned
In certain things.

Uploading video to your SkyDrive account and getting that content deleted because it contains profanity... You're okay with that? Seriously?

You know what that means right? They're somehow screening everything that gets uploaded and deleting them accordingly.

Dead Man

Good luck owning the living room with adults if this is how console manufacturers act when dealing with adult material.

swearing is in the TOS.

the fact that you voluntarily gave Microsoft the evidence rather than having to just happen to hear you in a random lobby is your own fault.

but be sure to fill out the post on the Xbox.com "why was i banned" forums and tell us how "my suns console got bant and i dont no why cuz i didnt do nuffin wrong" (use of 3rd and 1st person in the same sentence)

LOL

Dukey

Banned
Uploading video to your SkyDrive account and getting that content deleted because it contains profanity... You're okay with that? Seriously?

You know what that means right? They're somehow screening everything that gets uploaded and deleting them accordingly.

Of course I'm fine with it. It was in the TOS everyone signed.

I also have no problem with them removing videos including profanity. If you can't make a simple game video without swearing, good riddance. It's honestly not that hard to not swear all the time or to not draw tits and dicks on Miiverse. Very happy that these companies are doing their best to make these services more family friendly.

R3TRODYCE

Dude that's Wtf SOPA was and the reason why we fought it. It's a freedom of speech and expression. I shouldn't be censored at all especially if I'm paying $560 for my stuff. You. Are. Bugging.

Yeah, I'm ok with that in this case because some people stop using their brain when they're anonymous so if this helps with that then I'm sure not against it.

Wallach

swearing is in the TOS.

look at this fuckin' jar of mayo

Top Bottom