• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

I read that there will be a very small patch soon after this one, so maybe they will fix some of the small things that got through, like the Exile Greatsword ascending to a higher plane of existence. I'd look on reddit, but I think it's now time to avoid spoilers of DLC2.

Jobbs

Banned
this is the first time ever that I've seen absolutely nothing of a new piece of souls content before playing it. NADA! ZILCH!

crazy.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
That feel when you already have the Platinum, but need Darkmoon Blade for your new DLC build and don't want to respec the only character that's got it.

tumblr_inline_mt1vvhg71uxj.gif

this is the first time ever that I've seen absolutely nothing of a new piece of souls content before playing it. NADA! ZILCH!

crazy.

:p

Reddit has every mandatory boss and the sets/spells/dialogue etc.

However
apparently an optional area is witheld from today's patch and is only on Tuesday and it's gonna be Ancient related...

Hikami

crazy.

I've been able to do that for every other souls content. This time though I went ahead and spoiled a bunch of stuff for myself.

I'd say I'm more excited now.

Stevey

Got a character ready for the access area, now the wait til tuesday, or get my NG++ character there as well
Also, the new symbols near the bonfire on the warp selection screen is pretty cool I guess

Bah, just ran through the DLC to grab the Onyx Blade for my pyro, since the requirements are nice and low. In other news, Aldrich melts to fire, holy crap. I thought going ham on the boss with a straight sword killed it quick.

I'm a sick and/or bad guy. I'm going to have 7 characters all set for DLC2.

They somewhat altered the credits theme. now there's more piano and altered instrumentation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwtStmVOjQ&feature=youtu.be&t=8m27s

Well supposedly the Ringed City has
multiple endings
, so whether there will be a new ending to the vanilla game is up in the air. A new theme is curious if there's nothing new, unless Ringed City gets its own credits and From just made a blanket new credits theme.

Can you access the DLC now or what's going on?

No, but a patch today contained a lot of data for the Ringed City, but not all, so like 80% of it has been datamined etc.

Can I get optional and "mandatory" boss numbers (for TRC)? Too afraid of other spoilers to go on Reddit/wikis.

Mandatory
3, however there is most likely one more due to datamining references, they just might not have a dedicated bonfire(

Optional
1-2, possibly more. There's a boss in the files that doesn't have a bonfire, and an optional area that is witheld from the data in today's patch

I can pm names if you wish

Edit: If anyone's nervous, I didn't put names in the spoiler. Also don't take the length of the tags to mean there are dozens :p

Sande

Mandatory
3, however there is most likely one more due to datamining references, they just might not have a dedicated bonfire(

Optional
1-2, possibly more. There's a boss in the files that doesn't have a bonfire, and an optional area that is witheld from the data in today's patch

I can pm names if you wish

Edit: If anyone's nervous, I didn't put names in the spoiler. Also don't take the length of the tags to mean there are dozens :p
Cheers. I don't need to know the names.

Jobbs

Banned
can anyone give me a heads up as to where the entrance to the dlc is (if anyone knows)? that's all I want to know -- so I can determine what character I want to use.

jb1234

The game used to run great on my rig, stuck at 60 fps almost all the time. Ever since the first DLC, it's been a mess. Tried to run it today and it regularly drops down to the low 40s. Not really sure what happened. :(

So apparently, there's
a pygmy king posted in the credits, but there's no dialogue for him in the pastebin. Are we sure we've unearthed everything?

Hikami

Made it to where I need to be for the DLC. I got invaded while in the archives and had a blue guy instantly come to my rescue.

Huh, did that finally get fixed? I remember around launch people had trouble actually getting summoned to help.

Toxi

Banned
Made it to where I need to be for the DLC. I got invaded while in the archives and had a blue guy instantly come to my rescue.

Huh, did that finally get fixed? I remember around launch people had trouble actually getting summoned to help.
The biggest issue is that there just aren't enough Way of Blue adherents getting invaded for the number of Blue Sentinels and Darkmoon Blades. There is little incentive to be in the Way of Blue covenant. People who don't want to be invaded generally play unembered or offline, and everyone else are in covenants with actual rewards. And by the time a Blue Sentinel or Darkmoon Blade gets summoned, the invader or the host is often already dead.

It's just a broken concept.

Jobbs

Banned
The biggest issue is that there just aren't enough Way of Blue adherents getting invaded for the number of Blue Sentinels and Darkmoon Blades. There is little incentive to be in the Way of Blue covenant. People who don't want to be invaded generally play unembered or offline, and everyone else are in covenants with actual rewards. And by the time a Blue Sentinel or Darkmoon Blade gets summoned, the invader or the host is often already dead.

It's just a broken concept.

I put blue on after getting invaded (unless for some reason I want to just 1v1 but if I wanted to 1v1 I probably wouldn't be going about my business). I suspect others do that as well

Toxi

Banned
I put blue on after getting invaded (unless for some reason I want to just 1v1 but if I wanted to 1v1 I probably wouldn't be going about my business). I suspect others do that as well
Most people don't.

Way of the Blue is a covenant where the only incentive is protection against invasions, in a game where invasions are easily avoidable and heavily slanted against the invaders. And the Blue Sentinels and Darkmoon Blades are entirely reliant on people equipping Way of the Blue to actually function.

Did I mention how fucking obnoxious it is to be a Darkmoon Blade, get summoned at the back end of the Grand Archives, and waste time avoiding hordes of enemies looking for the invader only to have the host die a mile away? Or better yet, get summoned and have the host or invader die literally as you're summoned? And that's probably the only time you'll get summoned in an hour of play. No wonder people hate the Covenant. Even when it works, it's generally not fun. I enjoy the few times I get to actually play the part of protector, but most of the time I'm either an involuntary gank buddy or late to the party.

Thirty fucking ears. Jesus what was From thinking.

So apparently, there's
a pygmy king posted in the credits, but there's no dialogue for him in the pastebin. Are we sure we've unearthed everything?

There is, and no. The credits come from someone who has not played TRC, apparently credits have been updated and have new music now. On Tuesday we get a further 3gb + patch in addition to the 7gb one yesterday and it will apparently include an optional area due to datamined area references that go nowhere atm.

Also the Bamco community manager apparently said there is an optional/area boss and we only know for sure about mandatpry ones so far.

karasu

Alright! I finally beat the first boss after over a dozen attempts I think. Now if I can only get past this stance changing naked swordsman outside of Firelink Shrine. :/

demonkaze

So starting a new character in preparation for the dlc and I haven't played since launch and was wondering what are some good builds? No idea on nerfs or buffs.

Hmm, I like to kill everything at least once before moving on but I'm having trouble with those two things where you can find the corona miracle (first dlc ng+). One I can handle but two seems a bit much. :(

karasu

Nice, gratz! Is this your first Souls?

Yeah, the swordsman is pretty tough if you're low level, even for experienced players.

Give it a few attempts, but I wouldn't worry too much about him for now.

Sweet I'll try to find a way around him. That guy is a dick!

This isn't my first experience with Souls as I have a couple of hours in Scholar of the First Sin. This is only my second Souls boss fight in life, though. And Iudex was far more difficult than the giant brown thing I fought in Scholar of the First Sin. He beat the shit out of me and I respect the hell out of him for it. I want to know his backstory now. I feel like Ippo where I now have this huge love for my opponent lol

bremon

Made significant progress last night. Finished up Lothric Castle and 2 optional areas
untended graves and archdragon peak

Untended Graves was very creepy and one of the only times since Tomb of the Giants I've explored with a torch out. The familiarity of the area meant it wasn't really necessary but added to the atmosphere. Champion G is something else...wow. Extremely mobile and aggressive. Lots of cool lore related stuff there that I'll have to wiki at some point.

Archdragon Peak seemed derivitive of the Dragon Aerie so didn't impress as much, but the bosses were certainly memorable. Nameless King and King of the Storm had an especially cool design. Actually it was very reminiscent of Warhammer fantasy battle aesthetic. On another note, I could do without seeing Havel on the roof. Or the president of the Havel fan club or whoever it is.

Oh, and also, re: Lothric Castle
do we really need to have Ornstein as a boss in every damn game?! I get it, he's a great design that they knocked out of the park and From is super proud of it but...geez. Sometimes less is more.

Now on to the Archives and DLC!

demonkaze

So starting a new character in preparation for the dlc and I haven't played since launch and was wondering what are some good builds? No idea on nerfs or buffs.

Any help with this? Thinking between the quality build (40/40 str/dex, where do the other points go?) or the pure str build for the exile greatsword (no idea about the build here).

Any help with this? Thinking between the quality build (40/40 str/dex, where do the other points go?) or the pure str build for the exile greatsword (no idea about the build here).

27 vigor is always nice, anything up to 40 endurance, vitality depending on your rings/weapon/armor, and then it's up to what weapon you want to use. 40/40 quality will let you use a lot of different weapons, while going 40 or 50 in strength or dexterity is what you want if you are going the heavy or sharp route, rather than refined.

I'm assuming the patch is out (it has to be, I'm seeing update 1.11 in my game), because otherwise I'm seeing major placebo with my Heavy Exile Greatsword. Definitely a few enemies I can one shot over the two it took me earlier.

Good timing for the patch too, as last time I had just unlocked the shortcut to
Dragonslayer Armor
, aka a boss perfect for testing out my new damage. Great fight; I, for the first time in my life in a Souls game (besides Pinwheel lol), completely two handed my weapon and relied on rolling. Feels good not to suck yo. I didn't make too many mistakes and took the dude down in four or five tries without worrying about stopping to use my shield. In fact, one might say they made his attacks too telegraphed, but the way my heart was beating at the end of that fight was a way only From can do.

I definitely think the depths of my cuts with this weapon post-patch made the fight even easier, but again, not complaining. Goddamn, I love this game.

Top Bottom