• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13
020253lduuv.jpg
Who would have thought anime would be saved twice in the span of 36 hours.

I'm not really sure if this didn't just become my genuine AOTY contender, the ending at least certainly is more satisfying then that of Kiznaiver and Rakugo.

Maybe I will watch Gargantia after all. Urobuchi da gawd.

Exalted

Thunderbolt Fantasy ep 13

Great episode and a satisfying ending for such an fantastic show. This was the first puppet show that i watched and it was marvellous.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 27:

Welcome to cour 3 and to signify this we get a new OP which I already like more then the previous one. Oh, right, the episode itself was alright if fairly middling because quite frankly Stardust Crusaders already did the gambling stand users thing with actual fucking stakes behind them.

blurr

Maybe I will watch Gargantia after all. Urobuchi da gawd.

you ought to watch Gargantia!

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13

This is quite possibly one of the best battle of ethos between characters I've witnessed. Dramatic as the dialogues appeared through out the 13 episodes, the last couple of episodes filled them with the weight they flaunt proving Thunderbolt Fantasy isn't epic only at a superficial level but in its drama and characters.

I frankly felt the gravity of the threat surrounding the rise of a Demon God was overblown but the show also implied we've only been scratching the surface of its world towards the end. Protagonist was quite the bundle of mystery for both the audience and the characters of the show itself. He comes off as insanely OP and with little backing as to why but they do mention that his only handicap is that fighting itself is quite an ordeal for him. There's no clarity if Kei Gai(yea, I actually remember her name) survived the revival but it seems to be the case now with the announcement of a sequel.

I did not expect the romance subplot pairing to end up with those two which is adorable haha and yet another surprised it had in store.

Shinji Hashimoto truly knocked it out of the park. He also did an animated commerical for a car dealership just recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79ED-mpiiY&feature=youtu.be
Really great stuff.

Yep, dug out who animated it as soon as I found some time browsing Sakugabooru.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 13

Bawhaha when he showed of his massive collection; too good. Special effects were damn impressive throughout this episode.

That was a strong ending to a consistently good show. I'm not a fan of Urobuchi's writing but damn if it didn't seem at its best here and the series had just the right atmosphere and all for it to work.

8/10 - dumb fun well done

sonicmj1

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13

Fantastic ending. The show really stepped up the presentation for the showdown between Enigmatic Gale and Bones of Creation. Perhaps more importantly, it provided great closure to all the character arcs to that point. A very satisfying payoff to a very satisfying show.

If Urobuchi Gen spends the rest of his career writing wuxia puppet shows, I certainly wouldn't complain. This would probably be a lock for top 5 of the year if it were actually anime.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thunderbolt Fantasy Episode 13:

Well, that was certainly the JRPG final boss battle I was expecting.
I feel like the 35 or so back up swords might have come up earlier or something to establish them. While there is no reason per sae to discount their existence, still comes across as a bit of the old Deus Ex Machina.

Thunderbolt Fantasy Episode 13:

Well, that was certainly the JRPG final boss battle I was expecting.
I feel like the 35 or so back up swords might have come up earlier or something to establish them. While there is no reason per sae to discount their existence, still comes across as a bit of the old Deus Ex Machina.

I mean, I'm not sure they could've brought them up earlier without spoiling a lot about Shang's character.

JulianImp

I was unable to watch Crunchy at Tokyo because the room internet blocked VPNs, and now that I'm in Osaka I can actually use VPNs, but the room connection clocks in at 25 kilobytes per second, making even Crunchy's SD video setting play like a PowerPoint presentation.

Guess I'll go on a binge-watch spree once I eventually get to a place with a decent internet connection and no VPN blocking shenanigans.

Exalted

Alderamin episode 13 END

Nice conclusion to the battle and end to the show. The battle wasn't really won by a big battle but by IKta's talking and debating skills. While the last part of the episode after the battle was quite interesting and foreshadowing of the future, i'm sadly doubtful we will ever get a S2 .

Clov

Sorry my bad posting from work means I forget that half of my job is garbage acronyms. One of the key changes for 4K is a wider colour gamut (ie more shades of red than in standard TV aka NTSC) this is what all the 'HDR' fuss in TVs is all about. Of course if you want to create in a broader colour gamut you can't do it on standard screens that can't display that gamut (if you're manually inking or drawing this doesn't apply).

Ensuring that 'my green is the same as your green' is a real issue in animation studios, as an example a customer recently showed the issue they were having approving a room for their character. The room was brown cardboard box but the senior person's screen showed the brown with a strong green tint that made the room look gloomy and depressing but the artist's screen had a red tint that made it look warm and welcoming. Who's screen was 'right'? If you decide to master in a very broad colour gamut this gets even more critical as the downsampling to produce a regular TV gamut will exacerbate any discrepencies.

Ah, I think I see now! So beyond just resolution, there's also the range of colors to consider when mastering in 4K, since 4K provides a greater range than standard 1080p BD. Downsampling would result in those colors outside of standard BD's quality range being "lost", which could result in a product that doesn't look as intended.

While color may not be as huge of an issue with this particular title, I'm curious to see how the 4K restoration of Momotaro: Sacred Sailors turned out. I wonder if Funimation will release it on UHD BD? Probably not, due to the smaller appeal of the title, but it would be neat given its historical significance.

Paltheos

It probably was in this case. I was skeptical of the 4K nature of this, but....

http://animeanime.jp/article/2015/11/23/25803.html

It seems way back last year when they first announced it, they already stated that it's the first Gundam project which was being mastered in 4K. So they probably took HDR into account too for the production. Since the Sunrise studio making Thunderbolt is the same one which worked on Gundam Unicorn, they aren't really being held back by shitty TV standards.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that Gundam Thunderbolt is fantastic and probably the best Gundam stuff we've gotten since the best OVAS of the '90s. It's a well-paced, well-told, exciting movie-length feature with bits of animation that could have come straight out of Redline.

I almost struggle with the idea that it could look better, but I might be veering into hyperbole here. Interested in what 4K will look like.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alderamin Episode 13:

This show should not have been this good but here we are and this is without a doubt the hidden gem of not just the season but of the year. The portents towards a potential season 2 that may or may not happen have me excited because we don't get a lot of World War 1 parallels in fiction.

TUSR

Banned
The spread on shows people are interested in watching this season is quite good.

Definitely going to check out Drifters based on the amount of responses I received on it.

Deadly

Alderamin 13
Another LN that I hope will get a S2. That foreshadowing :(The worst thing about these is that you can't go read the follow-up because the English translations are way way behind.

The spread on shows people are interested in watching this season is quite good.

Definitely going to check out Drifters based on the amount of responses I received on it.
Good responses I hope? The synopsis seemed interesting.

Wanderer5

91 Days #12 END

And this mafia tale is over. What a interesting end really.

Damn that emotional outburst from Angelo. I think the ending with them at the ocean was good and how it feels ambitious if Angelo was actually killed (and maybe Nero would then get killed after getting noticed). And poor Cerotto got punched out of the show lol.

And with that, the summer season is over for me, and I think it was a pretty damn good season. It unfortunate that Berserk kind of turned out crappy or least very choppy with its CGI look, but even with that show I still had some enjoyment.

91 Days was probably the most pleasant surprise. Mob Psycho 100 had Bones, the director of Death Parade, and being a work from ONE behind it, while Thunderbolt Fantasy had Gen Urobuchi. 91 Days through? I wasn't really sure at all tbh, despite a bit interesting of a premise and how un-anime it feels heh. In the end it turned out pretty well, and I'm glad that I enjoyed it. Mob is still AOTS, but 91 Days is close.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
91 Days Episode 12:

Right, maybe many will disagree with me but I didn't care for this episode at all, in fact, I would call it pretty damn redundant all things considered as the ending of Episode 11 is where things should have ended in my estimation.

91 days END

A great ending to this mafia show! That ocean yo!

But wasn't the premise of 91 days to have 13 episodes which each represented 7 days?
you know 13*7=91.

Exalted

Wonder how expensive it was to make a show like Thunderbolt Fantasy, compared to an animated one ? You would think it was cheaper since it was using puppets.

Taruranto

11 Days - End

Qoo5WiS.jpg

None of this would have happened if someone had lend Angelo a copy of Monte Cristo.

Eh, that was an ending I guess. The ending scene was very predictable, though I'll admit I was on the edge of my seat through the whole thing. Does Angelo have one last card to play? Will Nero forgive him? Is this ending in sex?

The scene at the bonfire was also quite nice and really needed.

/XX/

I'm still very interested in seeing older anime titles restored to 4K. Belladonna looked absolutely stunning on the big screen!
Hmmm... I have to wonder if releases like these could open the floodgates for other works like the Studio Ghibli films, depending on how future-proof was the process achieved by Panasonic Hollywood Laboratories (PHL) on the releases for the Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection current Blu-ray Disc, of course.

We know the 35mm film negatives from them were scanned at 6K, and worked on parting with a 4K conform DI from which they were definitely authored... but I'm not aware of specific details about the pin-registered scanning method used, and its parameters (resolve capacity or density range of the negative captured). They could perfectly be 'UHD BD ready' right now!

I don't know if you saw this when I posted it in the last OT, but this article is a good alternative perspective of a team of animators at OLM who are working to integrate digital animation tools into their production pipeline. It may interest you in particular since it does go into some technical details.

Cheers for the links I had missed that in the thread somehow, the workflow differences between Japan and the West and how they impacted the usefulness of existing software tools was fascinating.

Of course there's the whole argument of clearly analog images (brush strokes/paint on glass/obvious pencil lines) paired digital pipelines. There are definitely a ton of options digital drawing provides for sure and is the way to producing a much more efficient workflow. Most anime attempts to look like the clean model sheets anyways, so it probably wouldn't matter if it was analog or not for those cuts.

On the other hand, I'd definitely miss some of the line texture easily achieved with pencil and paper. No doubt current digital software can emulate it to an extent. Hopefully they can still co-exist in the future.

Yeah I can see the appeal of the aesthetic of actual art but I can't see a way for it to work except on limited prestige tv shows or full length film productions. That so many smaller, limited tv budget studios are still mostly scanning is mind blowing to me even with the challenges of existing tools being designed for a different workflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom