• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I have 2 more and never use them so if you ever want another just ask.

Thank you!

Erina is a better chef than Asuna will ever be.
>:p

Oh, it's my girls BDay, very nice.

If anyone is making OTs for individual shows, PM me or quote this.

Can you please add the below OTs to the OP please?:

Izetta, The Last Witch:(Shuumatsu no Izetta)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...#post218629934

Magical Girl Raising Project (Mahō Shōjo Ikusei Keikaku)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...#post218619992

I'm going to create one next week for Drifters and Occultic;Nine as well.

/XX/

Do we know what resolution the digital Ghibli films were mastered at? Though I suppose more than anyone else, they likely have the resources to redo them at a higher resolution if need be.
It has been mentioned by people like Studio Ghibli's Executive Imaging Director Atsushi Okui that the digital master is downconverted to FHD directly from that Digital Intermediate (DI) I posted about earlier, at a 4K resolution while already conformed and color-graded (anecdotally, this last step was mostly supervised by Mr. Miyazaki himself for the releases of the films he directed). That means much of the work could be already done.

One problem could reside on how, until recently, technologies for scan capture of the density range on motion picture negative only reached up to 2.3 (meaning ~1% of light is transmitted through a material, aprox.), while nowadays we are reaching the range in full of film, close to 3.3 (a ~0.1% of light transmission)... bringing useful photography terms; we are talking of a difference similar to 3 aperture stops of expanded range! The nowadays old process utilised at the time by PHL for the Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection BDs could not be apt at this levels (12-bit values per pixel). And for obtaining a truly full dynamic range, required for impending standards, this remains crucial.

Cornbread78

Have a stern Kumiko or Reina face going no linking to pirated places and no illegal stuff, ya?

:p

Here it is..
LVHG7iP.png

TUSR

Banned
Have a stern Kumiko or Reina face going no linking to pirated places and no illegal stuff, ya?

:p

and some extras later

Can you please add the below OTs to the OP please?:

Izetta, The Last Witch:(Shuumatsu no Izetta)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...#post218629934

Magical Girl Raising Project (Mahō Shōjo Ikusei Keikaku)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...#post218619992

I'm going to create one next week for Drifters and Occultic;Nine as well.

theyre already in there and your links dont work anyways

It's definitely going to be a show worth checking out due to all the animation talent that's apparently behind it.

ill take a look later

sonicmj1

Someday. Maybe Type-Moon designs should stop being bad. If it was puppets I'd have watched it already.

I get the feeling, but you really should. Fate/Zero is the closest thing I know of in Urobuchi's repertoire to the fun cast dynamics and incisive dialogue of Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Tuck

91 Days - 12
Fantastic ending. The non-linear nature threw me for a bit of a loop, but I liked it. It felt very retrospective. The climax was last episode, and this was more like an epilogue, wrapping everything together.

In particular, props to the final scene.
The fact that it mirrors Nero's decision years before was really nicely done. And I like the ambiguous nature of it. I don't think Nero killed him, that I think would go a bit against the spirit of the ending. But I like that it was left up in the air.

Fantastic show from beginning to end. Probably my AOTY but I won't know if something else will top it next season until maybe next year.

Were people really expecting something like that?
I think the whole episode was rather predictable, though I really liked the idea of an ambiguous ending. The obvious outcomes were Nero killing Avilio or Nero letting him escape, and we got a Schrödinger hybrid.

No I thought it was going to go something like this:

Nero killed Avilio's family.
Avilio killed Nero's family.

But then they realize that they actually like each other and fall in love by the ocean and then get married and have lots of babies like in those gay fan fictions I probably don't read on a regular basis.*

I mean, the episode sets that up rather perfectly.

Yes this is a joke

Sölf

That moment, when you watch a single episode of Thunderbolt Fantasy and get that itch to play Blade & Soul again.

Hnnggghhhh...

Alderamin - 13
This is a glorified go read the novel show, simply because it was so good. It ends with, and I quote: "this was just the beginning". That's because it is the truth. The best moments of this show came towards the end, and so much was left out. I highly doubt this will get a second season, but I certainly wouldn't think twice about picking it up. Overall I'd say this would get a solid 8/10.

Alderamin 13

I won't say anything others, or myself, in here haven't said.

- It's a show that won't ever get a second season but deserves it as it's fantastic
- The most enjoyable anime style war tactics story I've seen since Valkyria Chronicles
- Fantastic cast of characters and a really charming lead

I'll also add this: The show deserves to be in the top 10 of the season and I feel it's criminally being overlooked. I give it an 8.5/10.

e_i

So the guy behind Guilty Crown and Code Geass is writing Izetta: The Last Witch? Will this show go fuck crazy and off the rails too?

91 Days - 12
This earns a top spot for my year's ratings, and absolutely crushed Mob in my opinion with what I thought was a brilliantly executed finale. You didn't need to actually SEE what happened. That last scene should tell you more than enough. This tale of revenge was one that I urge those who didn't to seriously consider watching. This was some of the finest mob storytelling I've seen to date in anime, and one that I will remember for many years to come. The closing was just absolutely PERFECT.

So now that every show of mine from the Summer has finished, it's time for my rankings for the season in order:

AOTS
1- 91 Days
Great
2- Mob Psycho 100
3- Re:Zero
Good
4- ReLife
5- Alderamin
6- Soma S2
7- Handa-kun
8- Orange
Bad
9- Danganronpa 3 Future Arc
10- Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc
11- Danganronpa 3 Hope Episode

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13

Oof what a finale. At the end I was a screaming George Lucas at that last scene.

"IT'S LIKE POETRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

IT RHYMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES"

9/10.

Quasar

So now that every show of mine from the Summer has finished, it's time for my rankings for the season in order:

Mine would be:

1. Sweetness and Lightning
2. Alderamin
3. Orange
4. Battery
5. Foodwars S2
6. Macross Delta
7. New Game
8. ReLife
9. The Outcast

Though thats the totality of shows I actually finished.

Cornbread78

91 Days ep.11-END
Daaaammmnnnnn..

That was not what I thought was gonna happen at all. I did get kind of confused between reality/dream during the dream sequences mixed in, lol. I just can't believe
Nero
won after everything...

JCG

So the guy behind Guilty Crown and Code Geass is writing Izetta: The Last Witch? Will this show go fuck crazy and off the rails too?

People seem to be far too easily confused by this topic every so often, but Hiroyuki Yoshino did not write most of Code Geass. He wrote exactly three episodes, all of them in season one: 12, 13 and 19. You can look it up here.

Beyond that, Yoshino's "assistant" role consisted of giving mostly unspecified ideas to Ichiro Okouchi, the actual writer (not exactly the best guy ever, but I digress). They do seem to like working with each other though. Their roles were reversed for Guilty Crown, where Yoshino wrote something like 12 episodes out of 22 while Okouchi only wrote six of them. Let's just say that difference made itself clear and it sure wasn't an improvement. Not that Yoshino can't do good work on occasion (Macross Frontier, Sora no Woto), but his low points are terrible.

Overall Season Ratings (5/10 = Average Show)
ReLIFE (6/10) - Some faults here and there, but a decently well done adaption of the source material.
Shokugeki no Souma 2 (5/10 or 4/10) - On hold for right now, quite disappointed with how they handled the tournament's pacing.
Mob Psycho 100 (8/10) - While Bones did mess up the pacing somewhat for the first few episodes by only adapting 2-3 chapters each. They did an amazing job capturing the source materiel, and some of the most creative uses of different art techniques I've seen in a long time.
91 Days (5/10) - On hold, will have to see when I get back to this.
Amaama to Inazuma (6/10) - Another decent adaption of the source material, can't really say much more then that.
New Game! (5/10) - Art/visuals save this show, Doga Kobo are master's of their craft. Though not like the script was bad, since the source material is just average at best.
Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin (5/10) - Probably the show I'm being the harshest on, and for reasons I can't quite place. But hey, better then most LN adaptions so it can take pride in that.
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! (4/10) - Dropped, pretty but empty of anything really fun.
Fukigen na Mononokean (4/10) - Dropped, felt like the poor mans Natsume Yuujinchou.
Amanchu! (5/10) - Puppets
Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu (2/10) - This show just felt insulting to watch on various levels, it made me laugh a few times so it escapes a lower grade....
Mahou Shoujo? Naria☆Girls (1/10) - Dropped, now this was completely insulting to watch and had nothing redeemable about it.

I generally avoided most of the shit regular length shows this season, I have a sad feeling that won't be the case for Autumn...

Cornbread78

Random question. Have any of you guys bought a new Samsung phone (S7, Note 5) and gotten the free VR headset and Oculus software?

Overall Season Ratings (5/10 = Average Show)
ReLIFE (6/10) - Some faults here and there, but a decently well done adaption of the source material.
Shokugeki no Souma 2 (5/10 or 4/10) - On hold for right now, quite disappointed with how they handled the tournament's pacing.
Mob Psycho 100 (8/10) - While Bones did mess up the pacing somewhat for the first few episodes by only adapting 2-3 chapters each. They did an amazing job capturing the source materiel, and some of the most creative uses of different art techniques I've seen in a long time.
91 Days (5/10) - On hold, will have to see when I get back to this.
Amaama to Inazuma (6/10) - Another decent adaption of the source material, can't really say much more then that.
New Game! (5/10) - Art/visuals save this show, Doga Kobo are master's of their craft. Though not like the script was bad, since the source material is just average at best.
Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin (5/10) - Probably the show I'm being the harshest on, and for reasons I can't quite place. But hey, better then most LN adaptions so it can take pride in that.
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! (4/10) - Dropped, pretty but empty of anything really fun.
Fukigen na Mononokean (4/10) - Dropped, felt like the poor mans Natsume Yuujinchou.
Amanchu! (5/10) - Puppets
Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu (2/10) - This show just felt insulting to watch on various levels, it made me laugh a few times so it escapes a lower grade....
Mahou Shoujo? Naria☆Girls (1/10) - Dropped, now this was completely insulting to watch and had nothing redeemable about it.

I generally avoided most of the shit regular length shows this season, I have a sad feeling that won't be the case for Autumn...

You're a harsh grader.

Quasar

Alderamin 13

I won't say anything others, or myself, in here haven't said.

- It's a show that won't ever get a second season but deserves it as it's fantastic
- The most enjoyable anime style war tactics story I've seen since Valkyria Chronicles
- Fantastic cast of characters and a really charming lead

I'll also add this: The show deserves to be in the top 10 of the season and I feel it's criminally being overlooked. I give it an 8.5/10.

Yeah. It was real nice. Definitely will be in my top 10 somewhere.

Really hope the books get licensed though one spoiler I heard really bums me out.

With 670ish animes watched, my average score for them is 4.37. Those that scored an 8 or higher are just 46 shows, with a majority of them getting an 8. At least I'm slightly nicer on manga, I average 4.62 with 1000 series being read/finished.

I try not to overgrade myself, but if I'm feeling so neutral or negative about a show that I'd rate it 5 or below I'll probably just drop it. Life's too short to waste watching stuff I don't enjoy.

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 1:

This is basically all I could have asked for from this show. I was kind of worried to begin with. I thought it was going to be some sort of show that was not "for" me, or that it just wouldn't connect, but I thought this was a fantastic episode. The staff got what the soul of Digimon was, but it was also a completely new thing. I get what they were talking about now about discarding the past, but it still very much feels like Digimon, and I think this an interesting direction to take the series in.

Haru is a very non-traditional protagonist (a point that they hammer home quite frequently) by Digimon standards, but he's quite likable. And I like that he's not the typical athletic protagonist. The real star, though, is Gatchmon, who just excels in every single scene. The two of them together make quite the pair. I'm looking forward to seeing where their journey takes them. The supporting cast haven't really been introduced yet, but there seems to be a lot to look forward to on that front as well.

While the animation was nothing spectacular (although there were a few good cuts mixed in here and there), there were some very nice bits of storyboarding here and there throughout the episode. This isn't really going to be a show that's considered a visual treat or anything, but it at least seems like there's some talented people who actually give a shit working on the episode. Scenes like Haru finding the Applidriver and the conversation with him and Gatchmon in his bedroom were a lot more interesting than they otherwise would have been due to some creative choices in how the scenes were framed, and the AR Field scenes looked quite nice. They had a lot of the visual creativity that Digimon Frontier had.

The new composer really did a good job, too. While he has some big shoes to fill, particularly in comparison to the late Takanori Arisawa, I think this was a good first showing, with several scenes that were really enhanced by the music. Overall, I think the whole staff should be really proud of this premier. It had great energy, it set the premise up really well, and there's a lot of promise for some interesting stories going forward, especially with that final scene. I can't wait to see where the show goes next.

High praise. And didn't you loathe the last Digimon animation?

Yeah, I really didn't like tri, if you count it, or Young Hunters. I did wind up liking Xros Wars a lot, although it took awhile for me to really come around on that one.

I really felt pretty impressed with this premier, and I kind of didn't expect to. I went in just sort of hoping for something okay, but I feel like the staff behind the show have actually thought long and hard about how to update Digimon for the kids of 2016 and how to really come up with a new take on the franchise, and it wound up really working.

Chihayafuru S2 2

It's like they made the personalities of the new first-years horrible just so I could resent time being spent on them. Plus it's only the second episode and already there's a lot of mediocre art and janky animation. I have a bad feeling about this season.

I try not to overgrade myself, but if I'm feeling so neutral or negative about a show that I'd rate it 5 or below I'll probably just drop it. Life's too short to waste watching stuff I don't enjoy.
I actually agree with this. If I'm watching something weekly it automatically means that it can't be anything less than a 5 to me. A negative score would go to something I don't like, and in that case I'm not even wasting my time. Got other shows to watch, games to play, etc to fill that gap.

blurr

Likewise but sometimes I make poor choices and have this silly obligation to watch it through to the end.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Thunderbolt Fantasy END

Going to be tough beating this out for my AOTY. When the season 2 announcement came up I Luke Caged my front door into the street in celebration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom