• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Humble Monthly Bundle

Mrbob

$12 a month is a bit pricey for a monthly mystery box we don't know what will be in it. I would just wait for the games to be revealed, and subscribe if there are games I want. Then instantly unsubscribe and wait until the next month.

valouris

I am fully expecting the first bundle to be amazing just to reel subscribers inside and the follow-ups to be ok-ish

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This makes no sense.
Taking advantage of geeks with more disposable income than rationality makes plenty of sense. Lootcrate was just the beginning.

As long as it isn't the video game equivalent of bullshit lucky bags. (seriously mystery boxes are bad but lucky bags are hell)

This reminds me indiegamestand does a thing where you can buy the current, previous and next (mystery) game for a certain sum.

Humble stopped being good around the same time they got that venture capital funding.
Those bastards. After they got involved we started seeing weekly bundles, book and comic bundles and even ebook bundles.

But seriously I think they lost a lot of their charm. I remember in the early days the live chat/support was run by the developers whose games were in the bundle which gave it a really personal touch.

zulux21

humble has treated me well over the years. I also figure the first bundle will be absolutely loaded with big name games that haven't been in bundles to help get more people to sub. I've spent $12 on stupider things. so why not give it a try for the first month. if it doesn't do well enough ect I imagine they will change things up to get more people so I might as well be in for the ride.

Nimajneb

$12 is too much for a mystery bundle. It might be a good deal for someone who has no PC games to play, but I already have dozens on unplayed quality indie games on Steam.

I'll try out the first month anyway, on the off chance that they put out an amazing bundle the first month to draw in subscribers.

Hubb

This isn't worth it for me purely because I will probably already own 75% of the games they offer. That on top of being a mystery box means I won't be opting in to this.

MUnited83

For you.
None of these mystery box sites are worth the money.

I'd argue that IndieBox is pretty cool, and you know at least the game you're getting the month you subscribe.

Of course, it's still quite a bit overpriced imo, but it has a cool concept and execution. Just a shame they don't just sell their editions separately.

Kssio_Aug

Except it demonstrates to be an amazing deal the next couple months I won't even consider for that price. Humble Bundle has been bad for quite some time.

Gothos

It's hard to know the actual value of this offer but I guess the first few months are the best to jump in since they'll want to show that it's worth 12$ and will probaly put some nice games in there...

ChryZ

Pass, there are so many deals to cherry pick from all year, no need for a subscription with random stuff.

MrDoctor

This does not benefit the consumer. Humble is stripping you of all choice to guarantee a set amount that makes them more money.

mclem

It really allows for some unique marketing opportunities, much like a book club, where you know you have a set number of people being introduced to your community at the same time.

Actually, I had the same thought. When I was a kid, in the murky not-particularly-legal world of 1980's Speccy gaming, I always would love to spend an evening just with a new unlabelled C90 cassette from someone at school, without really knowing what's on it. Might be a text adventure, might be a shmup, might be some sort of graphics tool. The discovery's a reward in itself - almost like a gaming mixtape. And sharing that experience with others might have been fun. It helps - and indeed, this sort of experience might have been how it formed - that I have broad, open-minded tastes, without really rejecting any genre.

The way to do this, I think, would be to negotiate with indies to get new games for the bundle. No risk of overlap with existing collections, there, and it allows those games to get some initial exposure at the very time they would benefit from it most. If they actually stated that was part of the premise, having a focus on premieres, I'd be rather more tempted.

6 dollars for Grimrock 2 and 6 dollars for never bundled games. Hmm.. it may be worth the risk. If the first one flakes, it will crash and burn before it takes off the ground.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Here's the thing: I can almost guarantee the first couple bundles will be worth it for the vast majority of people. That isn't a problem because 1) they are looking to impress and 2) there are a lot of sources available for them to potentially cull from.

However, the reality is that the longer this thing goes on the worse the games are going to be. Let's say that each bundle has the minimum number of games, 4, so that equals nearly 50 games a year.

Are there 50 games, even including massive AAA games that most certainly won't be included in this in a timely manner, that you want to buy a year? I doubt it. This will get worse every month this thing runs as their crop of games that are actually worth it gets smaller and smaller.

What this monthly plan is attempting to do is reset the value of videogames that Humble helped to devalue. Look at the current Humble Indie Bundle, what was once the high water mark for bundles, and it's average purchasing price of $7.00 for currently 6 games (and soon to be more). It's nearly half of what they are asking for their monthly plan for more games than the monthly plan will probably ever give you.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I might go in on the first one or two and just cancel when it starts to go bad. I would like to see how many games they are actually talking about.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Default percentage that goes to charity in bundles: 20% (you can change this to 100% if you want to)
Percentage that goes to charity in the store: 10% (you can't change this)
Percentage that goes to charity in the Humble Monthly: 5% (you can't change this)

Default percentage that goes to Humble in bundles: 15%
Percentage that goes to Humble in the store: 15%
Percentage that goes to charity in the Humble Monthly: ??? Information not available.

There's a short interview about it on Gamasutra.

It's not really clear how the purported creative motivations here would be any different than in a Humble Bundle. Sure, the Monthly has a "guaranteed minimum sales" before launch; but Humble Bundles do too, by virtue of their visibility. To the extent that the book club thing is true, it's true of most Humble bundles. I suspect the more likely outcome than introducing a large number of players to your game is that a large number of people now own your game and a small number of those play it in a trickle afterwards.

So..... terrible percentage going to charity (that can't be changed) and no idea what games you're going to be getting in said bundle.

I'll take 20.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I might go in on the first one or two and just cancel when it starts to go bad. I would like to see how many games they are actually talking about.
You know the first one will be a homerun, since that's their advertisement for new subscribers. I just wonder how many people will literally have every game in their bundle already.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
$12 a month is a bit pricey for a monthly mystery box we don't know what will be in it. I would just wait for the games to be revealed, and subscribe if there are games I want. Then instantly unsubscribe and wait until the next month.

That's not how it works. You have to go in blind.

The first couple of months will probably be worth it, and then it will go down hill.

UltraJay

I have no problem with this. I bought the Square-Enix mystery Christmas box a couple years ago. I got Hitman and Tomb Raider and stuff.

This first month may be full of hard-hitters.

kswiston

I don't care about Saints Row 4 and already have Grimrock 2 and Valkyria. I have my eye on Besieged, but that game will be on sale for $5-6 or less next Steam Sale.

Still, that is a decent bundle for someone who lacks all 4 games.

Wok

I have seen that Humble Monthly is accepting Paypal now.

9a4G64F.png

Has anyone contacted the support or has anyone of you tried to change to Paypal?

I gave my debit card number but I would like to give the Paypal numbers instead (less expensive foreign exchange fees) without missing on the bundle. I am afraid changing anything would remove the bundle or something.

FrouFrou

Neo Member
According to the reddit post and the last image hint, the games are Valkyria Chronicles,Saints Row IV,Besieged and maybe Shovel Knight and Lethal League.

mclem

According to the reddit post and the last image hint, the games are Valkyria Chronicles,Saints Row IV,Besieged and maybe Shovel Knight and Lethal League.

I've signed up, and I'm not sure exactly where they're seeing this, but I'm not seeing it. Which doesn't mean it's not true, of course!

Do they state exactly where and how these are being listed?

therapist

Nope

I usually only buy a few select humble bundles , they recycle the same games a lot so i dont see this being worth a sub

Top Bottom