• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Ploid 3.0

You don't really have to worry about PVP much once you're 50. It's not like ArchAge where people randomly attack you just to be assholes. The only place in the game where that probably happens is Sausans. I can't even remember the last time someone attacked me when I was out and about.

The last time I leveled a character I got killed by someone. I don't know if the location was Sausans, but I went back after the abrupt kill, which happened while I was busy with a group of enemies. The person probably didn't know I was in there, but I was avoiding every player indicator after that. I would even run away from my gathered enemies. Kept me on my toes.

The real reason I haven't leveled since is because I saw a video with a guy farming not having to stop and pick up loot because of his pets. I only had one pet and didn't even know I had to level it up, but I've been camping the marketplace off and on since. It's good to hear people don't go out of their way to grief players. I kept some characters at 50 to be safe, but my Dark Knight slipped past it (I did the quest before knowing that getting past 50 makes you flagged for pvp).

Ferr986

I got PKed a couple of times when I played long ago. Thanks god the Karma penalty was kind of harsh , so a bully would end up losing more than his victim if he keeps arrasing him (I used that as an advantage to get a zone to farm gaainst PKers losing so much Karma trying to kill people lol).

But yeah the endgame community wasn't that nice before, dunno now, I want to stay away from that tbh.

Ploid 3.0

Is there a more effective way of looting so many corpses than looting them one by one?

Pets :( I've been camping those on the marketplace for a long time. I want to never have to pick up a item again. I can't even macro pickup chains on my steam controller to make it less spammy with A...AAA...AAAA...A.......A.......AAAA (A = pick up and confirm pick up loot button).

Mithos

About PETS.

There is a pet reward for having spent ingame hours (5000hrs), AND there are OFTEN monthly events that include a pet as reward.
I currently have 5(6)** pets, 4(5)** of them have been given to me for "free" through events and that 5000hrs reward, the 5th I got buying the Travelers/Explorer pack of the game when I started playing the game.

**Just remembered that I breed 2 Penguins together (2x T1) and got a T3.

Abhor

Been having a blast playing with the girlfriend. Guild Wars 2 has spoiled me with its autoloot from masteries. I've played games in the past with pets, but those were F2P. Even without autoloot, GW2 has AoE looting too.

Kill a ton of enemies, look badass, tedious loot pickup.

Vyrance

Is there a more effective way of looting so many corpses than looting them one by one?

Pets unfortunately. They are rare on the marketplace, so everyone will try to snatch them up. Only other way to get them is in the Pearl store, or you get a couple over time from playing if I remember right.

Ploid 3.0

I see. So pet is kinda like the end-game meta for Black Desert, then?

How about the tamer's pet? Well, I doubt it.

Tamer's summon isn't your pet, you're his pet.

4uSoIVs.png
Look at that pet human.

wrongway

What's the point of the game asking you to make this global family name if it doesn't actually matter for naming? When I saw that I figured this would be like other modern MMOs that use surnames or account names/numbers to alleviate the naming problem. So I spent a while mucking about in character creation, then bang, name in use. Interest = torpedoed. :|

Ventara

What's the point of the game asking you to make this global family name if it doesn't actually matter for naming? When I saw that I figured this would be like other modern MMOs that use surnames or account names/numbers to alleviate the naming problem. So I spent a while mucking about in character creation, then bang, name in use. Interest = torpedoed. :|

Yeah, I was wondering this, too. I don't see why they both have to be unique.

Mephala

They should really allow for regular names to be common. Even have a hidden number suffix like Gw2 for example.
The family name still allows to easily find players that have a lot of character and regularly switch between them.

Topper

It's just a family name shared by all your alts, you can set your chat to use it so when you switch between characters(which you will do a lot) in chat you will have the same name, maybe there's something about else I'm forgetting. I'm curious your interest dropped because of family names?

I'm taking a small break for now and figure I'll come back when I can get on the xp servers, the grind after 56 gets to me. If gaf guild is still around I'll be back minty and toasty!

Man they should have really given some form of 'height' check, because as I was doing my char he looked WAY too tall, and come in game he's on the shorter side lmao.

Oh well, Wizards don't need to be tall.

wrongway

It's just a family name shared by all your alts, you can set your chat to use it so when you switch between characters(which you will do a lot) in chat you will have the same name, maybe there's something about else I'm forgetting. I'm curious your interest dropped because of family names?

Not because of family names, but because it's an MMO with the old single given name rule that's been live for a year or so. I wanted to hop into the game and see what it was about, not sit and trial-and-error my way through god knows how many names until I lucked into something that wasn't taken.

I should have more time to kill tomorrow, so I'll dig out ye olde liste of RPG names and try again.

Sora_N

I got the game on Steam, when I click Play the dialogue window pops up for one second and then disappears and nothing happens. Anyone know how I can fix that? I kind of let the download run while I was out studying and working out and came back to see this not work, kind of annoyed.

Sarcasm

Anyone on that can re-invite me to the GAF guild?

Family Name: ROBOKITTYZILLA
Character: Kuroshino

Are guilds tied per character or account?

I'd like to play, but it seems like playing on NA from Japan is a no go.

Playing from Taiwan on NA just fine.

I got the game on Steam, when I click Play the dialogue window pops up for one second and then disappears and nothing happens. Anyone know how I can fix that? I kind of let the download run while I was out studying and working out and came back to see this not work, kind of annoyed.

I didn't have this issue but a friend did, he had to turn UAC to on.

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
I tried setting up a trial account and logging into the launcher, but it was a no go. Got the "your region is restricted" message. It's probably because the game is licensed here and is free to play. Which is slightly amusing since I was going to pay for the game and maybe the adventurer pack.

I'm tempted to try it through steam, but if it takes you to the same launcher as from the website I think it will be the same problem. The woes of living in a different country.

Mephala

Are guilds tied per character or account?

Per account aka per family.

The tricky part about joining is that an officer has to be online, on the same server and not a million miles away to recruit. Not that hard once we both online but it would be nice if it was a bit more automated.

I tried setting up a trial account and logging into the launcher, but it was a no go. Got the "your region is restricted" message. It's probably because the game is licensed here and is free to play. Which is slightly amusing since I was going to pay for the game and maybe the adventurer pack.

I'm tempted to try it through steam, but if it takes you to the same launcher as from the website I think it will be the same problem. The woes of living in a different country.

A quick google lead to this forum question. Looks like you're right.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
It's honestly the first time in a MMO where I'm completely lost. Like everything is so thick, obtuse, the terms and different words used for the game mechanics and stuff in the UI are so obscure and bizare and make me go "wtf is this ? wtf is that ?" and the tutorial so far doesn't even help that much.

I get it's a game about exploring and arching back to older, more freeform open MMOs (which is what drew me to buy it 'cause I don't like modern MMOs), but fuck me am I having a hard time getting into it...

Like I'm already level 15 and I have no idea how that happened. The ennemies so far, even tho they seem like basic starting area tutorial enemies absolutely do nothing to me 'cause my health bar doesn't even move and I'm basicaly invincible.

I don't know, it's hard to explain, I just don't get the pace of this game. Am I doing something wrong here ?

Ferr986

It's honestly the first time in a MMO where I'm completely lost. Like everything is so thick, obtuse, the terms and different words used for the game mechanics and stuff in the UI are so obscure and bizare and make me go "wtf is this ? wtf is that ?" and the tutorial so far doesn't even help that much.

I get it's a game about exploring and arching back to older, more freeform open MMOs (which is what drew me to buy it 'cause I don't like modern MMOs), but fuck me am I having a hard time getting into it...

Like I'm already level 15 and I have no idea how that happened. The ennemies so far, even tho they seem like basic starting area tutorial enemies absolutely do nothing to me 'cause my health bar doesn't even move and I'm basicaly invincible.

I don't know, it's hard to explain, I just don't get the pace of this game. Am I doing something wrong here ?

About the monsters, keep into acount that you're probably in a 200% exp server. But yeah regular monsters are pretty weak, that's why even though the combat system is pretty deep with combos and stuff, at the end you'll play it like a musou (AoE spam) because mobs are weak so you can gather them and mass murder them.

About the UI.... yeah it's bad. You'll gonna need to look a guide or take a big time trying stuff.

Nope. The game is different from anything else you've played before. I'm a MMORPG veteran of almost 20 years, and your experiences mirror mine.

Here is the thing though: The game is amazing. But the game doesn't show its fantastic components to people who don't get over the hurdle of understanding it.

Those enemies are super easily in the beginning, but it quickly becomes more difficult as you continue.

Try and give this a watch; Beginners Guide

Ferr986

x-posting from the other thread:

How is this game with a controller?

I want a new controller MMO but don't want to pay the FFXIV monthly fee

Mixed feelings. Combat is amazing with a controller, I like it better than KB+M. Combat is about doing combos with different button combinations so you can do everything with a controller (unless that changes at +50). You can also customize all the buttons. Just be adviced you're gonna use all of the buttons available , including sticks lol

Now, the UI is totally NOT suited for controller. Controller support for the UI is basically a virtual mouse on a KB+M designed UI. Inventory management is especially a miserable experience with a controller.

So yeah, you can play with a controller, but you're gonna want to have a KB+M nearly for doing UI and inventory stuff.

I see. So pet is kinda like the end-game meta for Black Desert, then?

How about the tamer's pet? Well, I doubt it.

No, not at all.

Pets are mandatory. I highly recommend that you do not play Black Desert if you're not going to buy pets. The game is set up to cost 6-10 dollars, to justify the purchase of pets.

You might ask why the developers didn't just decide to charge 50 dollars for the game instead of hiding basic features that are essential to the core experience instead of making customers sour over feeling they have opt-in over hidden costs.

Nobody really knows, but people suspect that the developers being Korean, and this being an accepted practice in Korea, makes it fair. A pet cost 10 US dollars, and you can use 4 pets at once. I'd say that 40 Dollars worth of pets are needed if you're going to play.
I do not recommend you to breed your pets. If you breed your pets they can get into a higher tier pet, but one of them will be destroyed. With the maximum tier being Tier 4 and the system being based on RNG (Random chance of luck) you essentially got a gambling system where whales spend hundreds of dollars on these pets to get the best pets.

Pets are auto loot. And they are mandatory to playing this game effectively.

Once you get later into the game, you'll be effectively able to kill 100-200 enemies per minute. You're able to do this because you get super powerful and get amazing at the fantastic combat. You need and want to kill that many enemies very fast because the game is about efficiency. And at later times in the game, xp gain is very very very slow, so you need to be as effective as possible.

It's not just a matter of that manually looting everything- 100-200 enemies every minute will essentially make any progress you would make completely naught, the other aspect is that enemy corpses disappear so fast that you cannot even loot them before they disappear.
It's not uncommon for lvl 60s to outperform pets abillity to pick-up all loot. Even with all 4 tier 4 pets out.

I knew pets was going to piss of the western gaming community, because the west is not used to this sort of hidden-fee payment model. The game is set up incentivize and hook you into buying these pets.

With this being said though, the pets are really cool. They are best animated, and most awesome pets I' have seen in a game. they need to be fed, they learn new skills, have good selection of animations and are quite enjoyable. I do not regret buying mine. But I would say to anyone who is into the game; Playing without pets to about lvl 50-55 might be the way to go.

If you then- at that point, decide that you want to stick with the game, and afk play over night, and spend 1-2 years getting to 56, or just stop and focus on life skill for the forseeable future, I'd say that the amount of time and fun you're going to get out of the game easily justifies the 40 dollars.

And if you care about how your character looks, also buy a costume for your main character when you've tried them all, and really really know which one you want to main. You enjoy playing your character for many hundreds of hours when you look cool. the default sets are okay, but they feel generic as everyone are running around in them.

I wish PA/Kakao would have been more upfront and transparent about these behind-a-paywall-features, that customers expect from similar products. But BDO is an amazing and at the same time, frustrating experience.
But given how many who play the game run around with pets and cash shop costumes, I bet their business model is really working for them.

In my opinion, it's going to be nearly impossible to have a good time with the game (doing combat) without pets. It's just absurd to think that you can play like that. the loot and money you'd miss out on, or the slow progress you'd have to reduce yourself to to only fight a couple of mobs and loot. Both scenarios are beyond stupid and a waste of time.

Mixed feelings. Combat is amazing with a controller, I like it better than KB+M. Combat is about doing combos with different button combinations so you can do everything with a controller (unless that changes at +50). You can also customize all the buttons. Just be adviced you're gonna use all of the buttons available , including sticks lol

Now, the UI is totally NOT suited for controller. Controller support for the UI is basically a virtual mouse on a KB+M designed UI. Inventory management is especially a miserable experience with a controller.

So yeah, you can play with a controller, but you're gonna want to have a KB+M nearly for doing UI and inventory stuff.
Oh, awesome. Thank you!

No, not at all.

Pets are mandatory. I highly recommend that you do not play Black Desert if you're not going to buy pets. The game is set up to cost 6-10 dollars, to justify the purchase of pets.

You might ask why the developers didn't just decide to charge 50 dollars for the game instead of hiding basic features that are essential to the core experience instead of making customers sour over feeling they have opt-in over hidden costs.

Nobody really knows, but people suspect that the developers being Korean, and this being an accepted practice in Korea, makes it fair. A pet cost 10 US dollars, and you can use 4 pets at once. I'd say that 40 Dollars worth of pets are needed if you're going to play.
I do not recommend you to breed your pets. If you breed your pets they can get into a higher tier pet, but one of them will be destroyed. With the maximum tier being Tier 4 and the system being based on RNG (Random chance of luck) you essentially got a gambling system where whales spend hundreds of dollars on these pets to get the best pets.

Pets are auto loot. And they are mandatory to playing this game effectively.

Once you get later into the game, you'll be effectively able to kill 100-200 enemies per minute. You're able to do this because you get super powerful and get amazing at the fantastic combat. You need and want to kill that many enemies very fast because the game is about efficiency. And at later times in the game, xp gain is very very very slow, so you need to be as effective as possible.

It's not just a matter of that manually looting everything- 100-200 enemies every minute will essentially make any progress you would make completely naught, the other aspect is that enemy corpses disappear so fast that you cannot even loot them before they disappear.
It's not uncommon for lvl 60s to outperform pets abillity to pick-up all loot. Even with all 4 tier 4 pets out.

I knew pets was going to piss of the western gaming community, because the west is not used to this sort of hidden-fee payment model. The game is set up incentivize and hook you into buying these pets.

With this being said though, the pets are really cool. They are best animated, and most awesome pets I' have seen in a game. they need to be fed, they learn new skills, have good selection of animations and are quite enjoyable. I do not regret buying mine. But I would say to anyone who is into the game; Playing without pets to about lvl 50-55 might be the way to go.

If you then- at that point, decide that you want to stick with the game, and afk play over night, and spend 1-2 years getting to 56, or just stop and focus on life skill for the forseeable future, I'd say that the amount of time and fun you're going to get out of the game easily justifies the 40 dollars.

And if you care about how your character looks, also buy a costume for your main character when you've tried them all, and really really know which one you want to main. You enjoy playing your character for many hundreds of hours when you look cool. the default sets are okay, but they feel generic as everyone are running around in them.

I wish PA/Kakao would have been more upfront and transparent about these behind-a-paywall-features, that customers expect from similar products. But BDO is an amazing and at the same time, frustrating experience.
But given how many who play the game run around with pets and cash shop costumes, I bet their business model is really working for them.

In my opinion, it's going to be nearly impossible to have a good time with the game (doing combat) without pets. It's just absurd to think that you can play like that. the loot and money you'd miss out on, or the slow progress you'd have to reduce yourself to to only fight a couple of mobs and loot. Both scenarios are beyond stupid and a waste of time.

It is possible to not have to buy pets as they do have events that give pets away. And if you really don't care much about levelling fast and just want to do everything else then the free option is very viable.

I've played since launch and I rarely use my pets. But thats also because I still haven't reached lvl 56 cause I've done a bit of everything else. And I'm quite fine with not having to worry about levels.

It is possible to not have to buy pets as they do have events that give pets away. And if you really don't care much about levelling fast and just want to do everything else then the free option is very viable.

I've played since launch and I rarely use my pets. But thats also because I still haven't reached lvl 56 cause I've done a bit of everything else. And I'm quite fine with not having to worry about levels.

Sure. But I have a feeling that a lot of people who are interested in the game come in expecting the game to work and play effectively after they bought the game.

I'm not hating on pets. I think they are cool, but I want people to understand that while you can walk around and manually loot everything as you try and hit the next combat levelling milestone, it is not fun. It's frustrating.

And I think it's better to be upfront about that, other than giving false hopes to people that they will be able to get these pets of the marketplace or that they should hold out for the next pet event. It's been a long time since we got the Penguin.

IMO, it's an investment you'll make if you will stick with this game like regular players. Think about your electricity bill as your computer is on overnight as you're AFK'ing. It really doesn't make sense not to buy pets if you're going to play the game, effectively.

Ferr986

I wouldn't recomend straight buying 4 pets because that's only a requirement for hardcore farming at high levels and you don't even know if you'll reach that level.

I would buy 1, it does well enough for leveling and casual playing. Once you reach endgame and you're not scared at the shitty grindfest you can think on buying more pets, because then yeah you'll need them.

Raxious

just bought the game and noticed it offers me to play on either NA or EU servers. Which should I go for? ( from the EU myself, but played on NA servers before with different games)

Ferr986

Man the state of Ranger right now makes me wanna cry. It's the one I invested my stuff and moneys but now it sucks so much it seems like it was a waste.

Yeah it was OP at first but now their damage has been utterly nerfed while not taking into account the MP usage. And although I don't have the awakening weapon yet, I wonder what's the point... I mean, I'm Ranger, why the fuck I would want to use a sword lol

Mephala

I think that is why the middle package is the best. It gives you 1 free pet to start you out. The recent update also allows you to set the pet to agile mode where it shortens the pickup time but increases hunger quicker.

I managed to get pets off the market but lets be honest. Nobody likes to stalk the market. It is well and truly a shit system.

There is an in game achievement reward but it is for something ridiculous like 5,000 hours logged in. -_-

just bought the game and noticed it offers me to play on either NA or EU servers. Which should I go for? ( from the EU myself, but played on NA servers before with different games)

GAF guild has members on NA. Not sure on EU. We aren't very serious though. Not sure how your connection will be tho. Is there a way you can test?

Man the state of Ranger right now makes me wanna cry. It's the one I invested my stuff and moneys but now it sucks so much it seems like it was a waste.

Yeah it was OP at first but now their damage has been utterly nerfed while not taking into account the MP usage. And although I don't have the awakening weapon yet, I wonder what's the point... I mean, I'm Ranger, why the fuck I would want to use a sword lol

I was told Ranger awakening is pretty OP but I wouldn't know. Ranger still has the range to safe poke world bosses.

Maehwa and Kun have been on the weaker side for a while now which is a shame as I really liked them.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
About the monsters, keep into acount that you're probably in a 200% exp server. But yeah regular monsters are pretty weak, that's why even though the combat system is pretty deep with combos and stuff, at the end you'll play it like a musou (AoE spam) because mobs are weak so you can gather them and mass murder them.

About the UI.... yeah it's bad. You'll gonna need to look a guide or take a big time trying stuff.

Thanks guys, it's reassuring that it's not just me getting old and soft. I'm definitely not planning on giving up so I'll check out some of those guides and all. Combat seems amazing though, that alones makes me want to play.

Tomeru

Is there a kind soul here who can gift me the game which will be fully repaid through paypal? I'm in an ip blocked country.

Hubb

Is there a kind soul here who can gift me the game which will be fully repaid through paypal? I'm in an ip blocked country.

Has anyone helped you out? If you are still looking, send me a PM. I don't mind gifting, but I have no idea how their ip blocks work.

Gin-Shiio

How do I join the GAF Guild?

My family name is WinterLager and the character name is Ron_McDonaldson

Joining the Discord linked in the OP will make it easy for one of our officers to meet up with you. If you are logged on right now, whipser Biestmann, and we will work things out.
A little tip, click the plus icon on your chat window to create a second tab displaying only party, whisper and guild chat. Like that, important messages won't be drowned in all the noise.

Joining the Discord linked in the OP will make it easy for one of our officers to meet up with you. If you are logged on right now, whipser Biestmann, and we will work things out.
A little tip, click the plus icon on your chat window to create a second tab displaying only party, whisper and guild chat. Like that, important messages won't be drowned in all the noise.

will do. I'll join back in later and join the discord group. What level do yall recommend I be at before I attempt to start joining in guild activities? I only just started so it'll be a while before I'm anywhere near useful lol

Gin-Shiio

will do. I'll join back in later and join the discord group. What level do yall recommend I be at before I attempt to start joining in guild activities? I only just started so it'll be a while before I'm anywhere near useful lol

Guild quests are divided into kill and gather quests. The latter can be done by anyone on any level without trouble. We'll likely focus on that in the near future, having so many new members still getting used to things.

Hubb

Anyone can do the gathering quests. The combat quests are picked by area (like 45+ area, 52+ area, 57+ area), so that should give you an idea when you can do/help with those. I am not sure how low the combat quests go.

To the best of my knowledge the GAF guild does not do Node Wars/Siege, so even though you can participate at any level (though your level will kind of dictate what you can do during Siege/Node wars)if the guild doesn't do it then...

Guild Boss Scrolls can be done at any level, and are probably worth doing no matter what level you are because there is no death penalty and no matter how much damage you do to the boss you are still able to get loot. The lower the level you are the shitter the "experience" is going to be though. There is no penalty to dying, but you'll mostly likely die a decent amount depending on your class if you are low level.

The main reason to join the guild/a guild even if you don't intend to do any of the above is the passive buffs the guilds provide. Specially at a low level they are decent buffs. +AP, +Accuracy, +HP, and +DR help a ton at low levels.

VpomRurd

So I've tried to play this game several times but it's a pretty overwhelming experience. There's just too much to do at once then I sort of don't have a focus so I just feel aimless and give up.

So, would having a focus of just getting to max level before focusing on anything else be a good idea? I know it's sandbox and I can do what I want when I want but would being max level make it easier to get into the other features the game has to offer? I know it seems obvious that of course I could set that as my goal, but what I'm wondering is it is a satisfying goal to get to max level? Will it make my life easier going forward?

Top Bottom