• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you expect Nintendo to launch Switch VC the week of E3?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So do you expect Nintendo to actually launch the virtual console during the week of E3? Yes or no?

Not just talk about it or show it off, but actually launch the virtual console on the Switch the week of E3. Like the virtual console will be on the eShop with games to buy the week of E3.

Yay or Nay?

Hmm...they're getting a bit close, but probably not. They need it by fall, though. At least the NES and SNES one. Wonder if the GCN rumors were true.

BooJoh

It's not outside the realm of possibility, but as much as I'd like it, I'm not holding my breath. I think it might launch alongside the online services going paid.

JordanKZ

Announced at E3, available in Autumn (aka fall) alongside the online launch is my bet.

Still, if they want some fan love, throwing a few GCN games at us would work wonders.

Impossible wishlist:
Capcom vs SNK 2
F-Zero GX
Metroid Prime
Mario Sunshine
Eternal Darkness
Melee
Mario Kart: DD

Mariolee

I would definitely love for them to release it soon, but as for specifically the week of E3 we've gotten no solid indication otherwise and its unprecedented so I mean...how are we supposed to discuss this?

I'm not expecting it but it should be there already. I'll be praising Nintendo's E3 if I can play Mario 64 on my Switch in a couple weeks.

Majine

Banned
I expect outside of the games that are part of the online service, they will probably treat it like the Neo Geo games on Switch, as in, by releasing games every once in awhile.

But not more than that. I think fans care more about VC than Nintendo does.

Depends how they're doing it. If they're just putting up NES/SNES/etc games for purchase directly from the eShop - that'd be an easy thing to toss up day-of. If they're actually going to roll over purchase licences from the WiiU/3DS, that's something I'd expect to go live later in the summer.

Ein Bear

I really hope so. I've never understood how Nintendo managed to get the Virtual Console up and ready on day one for the Wii, yet every subsequent platform has left us waiting for several months.

I played Super Mario 64 on Wii launch day damnit. Get your shit together.

Matticers

I don't expect it to launch but they better at least announce something and detail what the VC will be like and what games to expect or I'll be pretty disappointed. The system has been out for months now so it's time for some news on that and My Nintendo rewards.

Best case scenario is an "Available right after the presentation" situation. I hope that's what happens. I'm starting to get thirsty for some VC goodness.

fell like it will get announced in a regular direct sometime this year i dont think they would launch the VC service the same week as ARMS.

What would it matter whether they launch on E3 instead of just announcing them for the week after? I don't think they will release a flood of titles, maybe a couple, might not follow the VC branding.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm worried because I really want the VC as soon as possible, but if it's not announced at E3 I'm gonna be a sad boy

so I'll just not expect it

Virtual Console has been a depressing affair on 3DS and Wii U. With the exception of previously Japanese exclusive titles like Earthbound Beginnings and Mysterious Murasame Castle. There's been so very few releases, no GBA on 3DS after ambassador-programme, and dark N64 games.

So I hope Nintendo is seriously switching things up this time around.

brinstar

part of me thinks they're gonna hold on to it until they launch their online thing this fall since NES and SNES games are part of it.

Virtual Console has been a depressing affair on 3DS and Wii U. With the exception of previously Japanese exclusive titles like Earthbound Beginnings and Mysterious Murasame Castle. There's been so very few releases, no GBA on 3DS after ambassador-programme, and dark N64 games.

So I hope Nintendo is seriously switching things up this time around.

I think the one highlight for me on Wii U is that they put DS games on there, and for a pretty reasonable price. I've liked having some of those games playable on my TV, just because I'm not much of a handheld person.

They'll probably do it a month before the Online services become paid. That way people can enjoy a month of free and then fork over money knowing what it's like a month later.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps, but I'm not counting on it. Generally, I'm expecting it to launch with the online free trial starting in the summer or with the proper paid launch in the fall as part of some big Switch 3.O OS update and online relaunch.

However, at the same time, I do kind of expect Mother 3 to be a surprise announcement this E3, which goes against my other expectations. Furthermore, it probably makes sense to launch VC before they start featuring a game each month as part of their paid service, so I guess I'm leaning towards VC launching in June or July and that could very well include E3.

Tregard

Soothsayer
"The Virtual Console for Nintendo Switch will be launching alongside our new online service later this year. Please look forward to more details in the future."

I'm no longer expecting to be able to buy every single NES/SNES/N64/etc game on VC.

That being said, whenever it comes out I'll buy super metroid, link to the past, Mario 3, Mario world, links awakening, earthbound and a few others every time they come out.

I'm a sucker for nostalgia and love being able to play my favorites on current consoles/handhelds

Kneefoil

Yes, with Mother 3.
I think that Mother 3 is definitely being shadow dropped this E3, if it's coming at all. Whether Nintendo decides to still do Virtual Console this gen or go the Neo Geo route and release their old games in the eShop as Nintendo Classics or something, I'm not sure.

Wamb0wneD

I need Paper Mario TTYD, F-Zero GX and FF Crystal Chronicles on my Switch asap. So all I can do is hope for the damn thing to have GC games if it comes out some day. Could be 2 years from now for all i care if it has those 3 games...

Jubenhimer

No, and honestly I hope not. Nintendo needs to make as much room in the Spotlight for Switch games as possible. Stuff like Zelda DLC, Online app, and Virtual Console are all low-key stuff that can be covered in future Nintendo Directs. Nintendo needs to make this E3 big.

Top Bottom