• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy real time tech demo - Luminous Studio [Up3: Survey/Screens/Video]

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What is dudebro about this? The protagonist doesn't even shoot at anything. It only looks as a new take on Magic vs Tech theme.
Combination of colour pallette, shakey cam, persecution sequences, and setting.

All this is a futile discussion anyway. If this is really in the works we probably won't see it til 2018!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I must be misunderstanding the argument here. It seemed he was saying the SE tech demo was no better than TLOU, but that doesn't actually seem to be what he was saying judging by his last post. Similarly, I'm unclear on which side of the argument you're trying to argue, haha.

Obviously, rendering resolution is only a fraction of what's necessary to create the kind of presence this tech demo creates. Since I thought he was saying TLOU looked just as good based on the screenshots I was actually arguing against that since there's plenty of stuff the SE demo is doing that put it way over the top (while still suffering from some fairly obvious and pedestrian graphical anomalies that we're all used to seeing).

Oh, I was just arguing that I felt it wasn't really unfeasible at all given what 2005 hardware is pumping out to do this at 720p next-gen.

teiresias

Oh, I was just arguing that I felt it wasn't wholly unfeasible given what 2005 hardware is pumping out to do this at 720p next-gen.

Yeah, I agree. I wonder what hardware the demo is actually running on in real-time for this footage - since it actually appears to be 1080p? Quad-SLI 680s or something?

-GOUKI-

So, since this is a fair point, I'll use some capture card screenshots from current gen games.

original_d.jpg

Characters2.bmp.jpg

HD_001.bmp.jpg

Awww yeah capture card power
avermediacenter20110629.jpg

avermediacenter20110629n.jpg

20110724013427.jpg

20110724013338.jpg

avermediacenter20110928.jpg

avermediacenter20110928.jpg

kz3runnstab.gif

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
It's like if a generic Tom Clancy Middle East conflict and a Final Fantasy game had a baby.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I agree. I wonder what hardware the demo is actually running on in real-time for this footage - since it actually appears to be 1080p? Quad-SLI 680s or something?

I would guess one or two new NVidia cards given the other demos recently, but we might actually find out if/when we get tech interviews from the event.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's not guns I'm against to, it's the tone. But I am aware this is an unpopular opinion.

But yeah, tech demo and all. It was... entertaining for that factor. It's just very difficult for me to get impressed at video games becoming more like movies anymore.
Exactly how I feel.

Exactly how I feel.

For me it's more about, imagining a fully explorable world with the kind of detail we're seeing in this tech demo, of course flashy cutscene are great, but just being able to spend hours exploring a world rendered so amazingly is really something I'm excited about

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well, it's a tech demo, not a video game. How one can see this as any indication of how such a thing would play seems odd to me.
I did acknowledge that. For all I know this could be a rhythm game with cutscenes between songs and I would love the shit out of that game! I'm just judging the premise on the admittedly short visual sequence we got.

Clevinger

It's just very difficult for me to get impressed at video games becoming more like movies anymore.
Exactly how I feel.

That makes sense for most games, but I don't understand that sentiment with Final Fantasy. FF has always been (well, since like 6 or 7 and up) like 60%+ cutscenes, 40%- gameplay.
Yes, I pulled those %s out of my ass. :p

jiggle

This is why Sony and Microsoft didn't unveil their console this year. :p

It's distinctly not in their interest for anyone to think you can do something better than what they have to sell within the next 12 months.

does that mean versus xiii won't be out in the next 12 months ever?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That makes sense for most games, but I don't understand that sentiment with Final Fantasy. FF has always been (well, since like 6 or 7 and up) like 60%+ cutscenes, 40%- gameplay.
I'd say at least 2D Final Fantasy had more in common with "literature" than movies, maybe due to the lack of visual freedom that Sakaguchi and co. had in their storytelling efforts.

The PSX-era titles blur the line a lot, Tactics aside.

I loved the setting and the guys with guns.

I'd love to see a Final Fantasy where it's presented as "our world", with magic being a secret thing done by a very small amount of people and not too powerful, with a few minor things like energy crystals being fought over and FF monsters as regular "animal species" in the world.

Versus lost it's realism in its first trailer with Noctis' crazy moves and level of powers. Already thinking that game is more of the same and looking forward to this one.

Not gameplay wise

UrbanRats

It is also interesting to imagine the rate of improvement we would see during the generation.
Next gen could very well last like this one, around 7/8 years, so someone with a capture card should pick a screen from like, Uncharted 1 and compare it to TLOU or from Assassin's Creed and compare it to AC3. :p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'd take the stylings of this techdemo over the muddled and over the top art direction of FFXIII. I'd love a return to FFVI's steampunk aesthetic.

Squarenix promising things then not living up to it, as thsince FFX. People will forget this demo just like they forgot the last one.

final-fantasy-vii-technical-demo-for-ps3-20060119005805734-1376262_160w.jpg

Enjoy the pretty video because you won't get that level of detail anytime soon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Visual Works would make for the best anime studio ever though! Even if it's 3d. :I
Yeah, I'd definitely watch a movie done by them, if the art direction and scene direction is competently done.

For me it's more about, imagining a fully explorable world with the kind of detail we're seeing in this tech demo, of course flashy cutscene are great, but just being able to spend hours exploring a world rendered so amazingly is really something I'm excited about
I think it's more a consequence of me going for stylized graphics and stuff like that as opposed to realistic-looking stuff. Detail is good. But it isn't completely enticing to me.

I personally don't find it fun to sit there half the time watching the game essentially making itself out as a movie. I want to play it and fill the holes in myself. I do need to listen to the cutscene to get proper context to what I'm doing, but I usually half-listen to it while I do smething else. :/ I just like games that get straight to the point and let me do what needs to be done.

Like Regulus said, Sakaguchi and co didn't have the visuals to deliver their complete vision, but it allowed the player to fill in the holes and imagine many different facets of the character from their voice, to the way they deliver their lines, to their look. They could also read the lines at their normal reading speed which can be faster than a voice actor reciting lines. The PSX games just started toeing the line, but they still didn't have that sort of visual fidelity to deliver a complete vision.

Oh lord, this sounds like the divide between Sonic fans. :x

Man, some of this stuff could pass for legit CG, or at least Advent Children quality. Then some stuff not so much. The metal reflection on the gold is just off or something. Hard to explain.

Regardless though I need this in my veins like yesterday. Time to kill off this generation.

Clevinger

Squarenix promising things then not living up to it, as always since FFX. People will forget about this demo just like they forgot about the last one.

final-fantasy-vii-technical-demo-for-ps3-20060119005805734-1376262_160w.jpg

But they never promised a FF7 remake... And they're not promising anything here either, other than using this engine.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think it's more a consequence of me going for stylized graphics and stuff like that as opposed to realistic-looking stuff. Detail is good. But it isn't completely enticing to me.

I personally don't find it fun to sit there half the time watching the game essentially making itself out as a movie. I want to play it and fill the holes in myself. I do need to listen to the cutscene to get proper context to what I'm doing, but I usually half-listen to it while I do smething else. :/ I just like games that get straight to the point and let me do what needs to be done.

Like Regulus said, Sakaguchi and co didn't have the visuals to deliver their complete vision, but it allowed the player to fill in the holes and imagine many different facets of the character from their voice, to the way they deliver their lines, to their look. They could also read the lines at their normal reading speed which can be faster than a voice actor reciting lines. The PSX games just started toeing the line, but they still didn't have that sort of visual fidelity to deliver a complete vision.

Oh lord, this sounds like the divide between Sonic fans. :x
This is scary. I think I may have found the only other Final Fantasy fan on the planet who agrees with me on this. :I

Cartman86

Banned

Bennettt2

The shadow of the old beggar's beard near the beginning of the vid is so detailed. I could see myself enjoying having a first person view of the sitting beggar and just staring at the beard's shadow for ages while enjoying the atmosphere of the harsh sun ...

Caelestis

Ellen Page character, check! Uncharted similarities, check! Guess this is a safe bet to come out on Sony's console?
It will never come out :(

This is scary. I think I may have found the only other Final Fantasy fan on the planet who agrees with me on this. :I

All I ever see on NeoGAF regarding these topics (in general) is people complaining about how limited graphics and using your imagination made games in the past better and how they don't want any voices or cutscenes in anything.

Maybe on dedicated FF forums people would disagree with you more?

KageMaru

Absolutely fucking amazing. Here I am drooling over LoU and Halo 4 and SE drop this bomb on us. I love the eye candy and the details, mmmmm sweet details, but if we keep seeing next gen teasers like this, I won't be able to look at current gen games the same again.

There's a reason why I rarely touch last gen games when next gen arrives.

suzu

It looks pretty damn good. Now they only need to actually use it and release something. lol.

Also that world seems interesting too.

All I ever see on NeoGAF regarding these topics (in general) is people complaining about how limited graphics and using your imagination made games in the past better and how they don't want any voices or cutscenes in anything.

I would LOVE an old style, full FF game using prerendered backgrounds and no voice acting. If I could have that on a handheld, and then this tech demo FF on a console, that would be amazing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

My unscientific perception of GAF's opinion of current Final Fantasy is that they hate it for the "j-poppiness" (whatever the fuck that means) and overblown melodrama, not necessarily the fact that the franchise's fixation on emulating the film industry has taken the series away from its roots.
I'm sure there are more of us!

I'm sure I've seen people on GAF making the same critique somewhere.
At least Theathrythm looks fun! But that has DLC and I fucking hate DLC. :X

Oh also lol @ anyone who's claimed diminishing returns before.

Good at 720p IMO.
I still think there are diminishing returns - at least in regards to cost. But I'm eating crow I think: damn this is pretty.

I don't mind 720p; the hair, the particles, the character models, the lighting. The entire package is yum.

J@hranimo

Banned
That lightning effect looks weird as hell, but other than that it's some nice tech demo eye candy.

I should start building a pc now.

Top Bottom