• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic sells 368,000 in 4 days in Japan

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201710/11143794.html

Famitsu is reporting 368,000 units sold in the first 4 days in Japan.

For comparison, NES Classic sold 262,000 in 4 days.

It's currently sold out nationwide, but Nintendo said they will ship more units soon.

img_01.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nice. I got one. Did my part to deprive a Japanese national of his childhood nostalgia.

They should sell these things as virtual console platforms. Comes with a mix of games, then have everything else available from a networked marketplace and plenty of storage space, or an sd slot.

They could even do all the systems separately to milk further. I mean, I'm happy with a hacked one, but a virtual console box not tied to one of their expensive home systems would be viable I think.

Bitanator

Imagine if the Switch was properly stocked in Japan. Great numbers this will sell extremely well this holiday

Anth0ny

holy shit

nes classic: demand >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> supply

snes classic: demand >>>>>>> supply

maybe next time they'll get it

vern

Quick questions: Does the Japanese snes classic have English language versions of the games? Are the games all the same as the US version ?

D.Lo

They should, N64 is next after all.
In Japan N64 was a big drop from the SNES, so would likely be less of a thing.

But in the US N64 sold basically the same as the SNES, it would still be massive.

Anecdotally the N64 nostalgia I've seen is deeper than SNES too, primarily due to local multiplayer.

Anecdotally the N64 nostalgia I've seen is deeper than SNES too, primarily due to local multiplayer.

People who cut their teeth on N64 (and soon GameCube) are reaching that age where disposable income is more common too, so the upswing in nostalgia for those eras is likely to keep rising for a good while.

D.Lo

People who cut their teeth on N64 (and soon GameCube) are reaching that age where disposable income is more common too, so the upswing in nostalgia for those eras is likely to keep rising for a good while.
Yeah N64 is at 20 years which is usually peak retro frenzy age. Peak ebay prices.

NES had that ten years ago and has levelled out somewhat, although prices continue to rise it's at a slower rate and usually only for particular rare titles rather than the market as a whole.

So Nintendo did learn from the NES Classic, were not lying and did a good job basically and there will be lots of happy people. In other words I don't expect this thread to gain much traction.

It's well deserved too, great concept with great games that's well worth the price. Now we just need to ultimately see even larger figures for the US sales and the people who called Reggie a lying scumbag or something will of course be AWOL.

Eolz

Damn, that's great.

Why do people keep saying this? Can I buy every single SNES game from the SNES Classic?

Not even all SNES games, but can I buy the SNES VC games on the SNES Classic?

Because :
1) Can I buy any classic game on the switch?
2) When was the lasr VC release on 3ds that is not pokemon (that you could buy at retail)?

goldenpp72

It's crazy how the classic line can outsell certain new platforms. Virtual boy will still remain less sold than these by a large stretch. I wonder if they fully met demand which other consoles could be outsold.

KtSlime

Pls ban foreigners from accessing amazon jp.

Not only do can they buy them easily, but they are not charged consumption taxes because it is being shipped outside of Japan. It's a pretty crummy deal all around,

Glad to see Nintendo made a good effort to provide more supply this time around.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not only do can they buy them easily, but they are not charged consumption taxes because it is being shipped outside of Japan. It's a pretty crummy deal all around,

Glad to see Nintendo made a good effort to provide more supply this time around.
I mean yes that's usually how that works they'll pay whatever their own tax system demands.

Top Bottom