• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a Nintendo game's storyline ever made you feel anything?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
And this is what makes Nintendo games awesome imo, they focus on gameplay over presentation and story like much of the rest of the industry.

Myriadis

The ending of A Link Between Worlds. Because you have
someone who is so desperate to kill the princess and hero of the other world to save hers, completely changing her inner personality. But when Zelda and Link, despite all the trouble she caused to the heroes, decide to help her saving the kingdom, she breaks down and just cries. Not sadness, but tears of happiness and gratitude.

That's some powerful stuff right here.

Nessus

Mother 3 made me cry, the only game to ever do so.

The ending to Link's Awakening made me a little sad.

I thought Ganon's final monologue in Wind Waker was really effective and did more to flesh out his character than all the other games combined.

Mario Galaxy evoked a sense of wonder.

I think the point he is trying to make is that "emotion" doesn't limit itself to "sadness".

I honestly can't believe you. "Nothing"? Joy? Excitement? Curiosity? Nothing? No emotional response at all? Then I wonder why you play games in the first place. You'd probably be better off watching paint dry.

Oh, ok. Now i get it. Still, the point is made about storylines i think. Of course Nintendo games make you feel a lot of joy, happiness and overall fun tbh, but that has more to do with gameplay than anything regarding story or characters.

Oh, ok. Now i get it. Still, the point is made about storylines i think. Of course Nintendo games make you feel a lot of joy, happiness and overall fun tbh, but that has more to do with gameplay than anything regarding story or characters.

Why is Gameplay divergent from the story a game tells? Of all the things games used to impart feelings on their players like narrative, visuals, and audio, why should gameplay not be considered in a equally valid category?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
In terms of story, the only time I can remember is a few of the cutscenes in Skyward Sword.

Atmospherically, absolutely, but eh. I don't play many Nintendo games outside of Zelda.

Why is Gameplay divergent from the story a game tells? Of all the things games used to impart feelings on their players like narrative, visuals, and audio, why should gameplay not be considered in a equally valid category?

I always took storyline as something that's referencing the narrative and the character aspect of the game, not the way it actually plays. If we go for the latter, then nintendo games would probably have the best stories ever, when we really know it's not the case. I.e just watch Oddisey trailers and see how, for the 10000th time, bowser kidnaps peach. However, the gameplay shown is one of the most interesting (and probably really entertaining) one's we've ever seen.

If the question is, "Has a nintendo game's gameplay has ever made you feel anything?", then probably NO ONE could say No. Their games are just that good.

Turrican3

Lots of times.

Strictly gameplay-wise, I was literally smiling while playing most of Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime just to name a few.

Such a great bunch of developers/designers.

OP has never played all the way through any games from these series:

Legend of Zelda
Earthbound/Mother
Fire Emblem
Xenoblade
Mario & Luigi series

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Off the top of my head, Nintendo games capable of eliciting a powerful response out of me: Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild, and the absolute gut punch of them all: Earthbound and Mother 3, the latter especially.

Storyline, no, but a combination of an ending and music in many of theirs games brings along a bunch of emotions.

I'm with you on the end credits stuff but also Super Metroid's ending is great. Seeing the baby Metroid sacrifice itself was one of the first truly effective moments I experienced in a game. Also, Link's Awakening had a great emotional ending.

Indecisive

Neo Member
I still consider Thousand Year Door to be one of the greatest examples of writing in video games. Not just for the charm or comedic factor, but for the way it utilizes the medium to it's advantage.

Many great stories in video games would have told an equal or even better story as a novel or movie, but not so for the Paper Mario and M&L franchises. They only work as games, and they're stronger for it.

Top Bottom